IGNORED

Manning post match

Ivorguy

10 minutes ago, Jose said:

This training excuse is ******* shit. QPR have won one less game than us since we played them and he inherited a better quad of players. It’s not good enough. 

Agreed, plus they didnt sell their decent player. Im not really sure what putting cornick on alongside wells and mehmeti was really likely to achieve

Just now, Red white and red said:

Everything about Manning gives me Lee Johnson vibes. 

I feel similar, but at least LJ had his winning streaks. With Manning so far, it’s the odd flash in the pan every six or seven games followed by prolonged dross — and today was just that, despite having almost a fully fit squad to pick from. 

• Flames 1

4 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Not ideal but it is the job. I find it a bit frustrating how some posters seem to write the manager off after every defeat but the reality is that the number of games is what happens when you manage a team at this level. He doesn’t have to like that but he does need to adapt to it.

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yep - the schedule is the schedule. Over his four months there hasn’t been anything markedly unusual in the number of games we’ve had, and as you say, it may not be ideal but it’s definitely not something that can or should be used as an excuse.

Just now, Sir Geoff said:

Other managers and teams seem to cope OK.

I wasn't trying to make excuses for him at all, was just putting the numbers out there. Interesting that had we lost the first game to West Ham in the cup it would be 19 games not 22 in 102 days, an average of one game every 5.4 days rather than every 4.6 (both rounded), almost an extra day on average.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really like him, but he is terrible at these things after a poor performance. I know most managers won’t great after a loss, but he maybe underestimates how much of what he says gets picked up. Probably didn’t have that as much at Oxford and MK. 

Irks me when managers (LJ was ******* awful for it) give it the “the game plan was great but the players didn’t execute it” line. Doesn’t help that the questions that he’s asked, especially on club media, are absolutely dreadful. 

Will have to wait til Thursday til he can get asked some actually decent questions by Piercy, to understand things a bit more. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

I wasn't trying to make excuses for him at all, was just putting the numbers out there. Interesting that had we lost the first game to West Ham in the cup it would be 19 games not 22 in 102 days, an average of one game every 5.4 days rather than every 4.6 (both rounded), almost an extra day on average.

Tbf I didn’t think you were - I do think he’s trying to make excuses for himself though.

The first time this “lack of training time” came out was actually pre the first West Ham game. So if we do say he’s had extra games post that (and I’ll reiterate that the club would generally expect to get to at least R4, draw dependent), he hadn’t had those extra games when he first put the narrative out. Even if it is true that the schedule limits training time, in the words of Roy Keane “That’s literally his job” - so he probably needs to shut up about it!

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

My gut feeling is still that we’ve got a good one in Manning, but his points return has been disappointing. Especially considering he’s had generally decent player availability in his tenure up to now.

He’s on a 3.5 year contract regardless, so hate him or love him it’s gonna be a long time he’s at the helm. I think he’ll do well.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

My gut feeling is still that we’ve got a good one in Manning, but his points return has been disappointing. Especially considering he’s had generally decent player availability in his tenure up to now.

He’s on a 3.5 year contract regardless, so hate him or love him it’s gonna be a long time he’s at the helm. I think he’ll do well.

The average length of time for a Manager in the Championship is 12 months. He won't be here in 3.5 years time

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sir Geoff said:

The average length of time for a Manager in the Championship is 12 months. He won't be here in 3.5 years time

Couple of counterpoints.

1. That’s the League average, I’m sure ours is higher.

2. We’re a bit more financially savvy these days. The club won’t want to be paying off 2 years (or however long) of contract.

3 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if he was. He will get backing like LJ. The useless ***** would never sack him as it would admit they were wrong. 

That reason alone is why we have to just bare with him and hope he learns.  Am far from convinced though. 

Edited by Jose
  • Like 4
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Gert Mare said:

We had to make a change when we did to give us the best possible chance THIS season otherwise what would have been the point?

Absolutely Jon. How’s it going?

This is the key. We cannot forget the lies of the Lansdown’s. They want us to let them off, we shouldn’t. 

• Like 13
  • Flames 3

43 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Our passing was awful all afternoon almost every time we tried playing it forward we gave it straight to one of their players. I’m sure the stats show we had the ball more than them, but never where it was going to hurt. 

It will be interesting to see forward possession stats. @Davefevs

And that situation seemed to get worse as the game went on  The last 20 mins saw the ball being given away more often than not. I thought we’d actually moved on from those problems. 

Just now, JP Hampton said:

And that situation seemed to get worse as the game went on  The last 20 mins saw the ball being given away more often than not. I thought we’d actually moved on from those problems. 

Yes I agree although we saw the same against Leeds, but it was brushed over by many on the usual “parachute/prem players” basis. 

Clearly the coaching team have a week to work on it. Apparently they haven’t had enough time at the HPC. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jose said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if he was. He will get backing like LJ. The useless ***** would never sack him as it would admit they were wrong. 

That reason alone is why we have to just bare with him and hope he learns.  Am far from convinced though. 

Exactly this. Manning will get full support for the next few seasons, akin to the prodigal son. No way they will back down from this appointment.

Lose against Cardiff and Swansea at home though and things will get interesting.

I really disliked that he pushed Hogg towards Section 82, stayed in the centre circle, clapped a couple of times and scuttled down the tunnel quick as a flash. All for giving the big one with the fist pumps after a win mind…

Media team (yes, they’re looking for a new Head of Comms) need to help him in these post-match interviews. Prepare and advise. That’s the job.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

This is the key. We cannot forget the lies of the Lansdown’s. They want us to let them off, we shouldn’t. 

We shouldn’t let them off. Integrity and authenticity are essential in business. Let’s not forget, it is business to the Lansdown’s and we’re ‘just customers’.

Accountability is another one, especially at the top where it sits squarely with those who set the strategy.

Let’s see what happens at the end of the season. I’m not prepared to write this season off and wait for the next one. That’s not where the goalposts were set.

• Like 4
  • Flames 3

So far I haven’t heard anything different from Manning post match whether it’s a win, draw or defeat.

One thing I find really boring tho is him referring to the amount of matches City have to play (just as every Championship club do) and that he doesn’t have enough time to ‘work on the grass…..’………:sleeping:

Does he think he’s alone in that?

• Like 8

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Talking about not have the time to work on it again.

How often do they actually train? Anyone would think he’s managing a part time team the way he talks about training sometimes.

Says the same in nearly every interview so what do they actually do? Seems like hes been saying it ever since he's been here.. And they had a go at Pearson for the giving the players a week off. 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, JP Hampton said:

A lack of consistency has been a problem for the last few seasons. It's certainly not new or unique to Manning that we look like we've made progress and then pull a terrible game out of nowhere, then go on a run of defeats and draws before pulling off a win when we least expect it. Ultimately Manning needs to solve it if he is going to succeed here but it's certainly not a problem of his creation. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

A lack of consistency has been a problem for the last few seasons. It's certainly not new or unique to Manning that we look like we've made progress and then pull a terrible game out of nowhere, then go on a run of defeats and draws before pulling off a win when we least expect it. Ultimately Manning needs to solve it if he is going to succeed here but it's certainly not a problem of his creation. 

Don’t think I was suggesting it was Manning’s creation, but it’s certainly a problem that had all but resolved over the past games and was certainly not as prevalent a problem. 

11 minutes ago, JP Hampton said:

Don’t think I was suggesting it was Manning’s creation, but it’s certainly a problem that had all but resolved over the past games and was certainly not as prevalent a problem. 

I agree - I didn't mean to suggest you were saying it was Manning who was responsible for it. Just that it's not the first time we look like we've finally cracked it and then suddenly put in an abysmal performance. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

A lack of consistency has been a problem since 1976 and certainly from 82. 

what’s of his creation is a lack of consistency playing the way he is implementing. We couldn’t win the ball, trap it, pass it or keep possession anywhere in their half consistently today. Terrible! 

Yes consistency is a thing, but that today wasn’t about consistency it was about being truly awful at playing the way Mr Manning wants against a well organized team that has had next to nothing to offer all season. 

This was exacerbated by the inability to change anything to make us more potent, with the best bench we have had ‘in theory’ in years. 

I can overlook Mbude as he really was thrown in to utter garbage, but most of them should hang their heads in shame. Including the staff. That’s the second time we have been pathetic in five games (both at home) and have not been able to change things.

Now that inability to change things when we are not playing well has become consistent. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1