IGNORED

Manning post match

Ivorguy

12 minutes ago, pillred said:

I just wonder why when people talk about Adedire they call him Dire, unless, of course, they are being sarcastic.

Probably because the club announced him as such:

We may get an “Andrew” Cole scenario should he wish to change what he’s known as but as he’s been called Dire by the club to date then I think that’s set now!

• Like 1

What I was reading on OTIB Saturday, everyone was calling for subs that Manning made...Manning now admitted he may have got that wrong also. Everyone looking at a strong bench to make changes but just when I thought we were getting a little momentum. But hindsight is a great virtue. We do play better against teams that have more possession, fact. I think we just need to up the tempo in my eyes to break down teams that sit back, get wide, but we need to find the answers.

56 minutes ago, pillred said:

I just wonder why when people talk about Adedire they call him Dire, unless, of course, they are being sarcastic.

Probably being sarcastic as he was dire.

Some given names are shortened rear not front end..

As if it matters one jot unless you are suggesting another reason?

Edit just seen that the club acknowledge hes dire so no need to offended on his behalf.

Edited by Natchfever

4 hours ago, Natchfever said:

Probably being sarcastic as he was dire.

Some given names are shortened rear not front end..

As if it matters one jot unless you are suggesting another reason?

Edit just seen that the club acknowledge hes dire so no need to offended on his behalf.

Not offended, and as he likes to be known by that name fair enough, though he might change his mind once he realises what that shortened version of his name means in English, a bit like W*n*e* being a surname in the US I'm pretty sure anyone moving here would probably change it.

Edited by pillred

3 minutes ago, pillred said:

Not offended, and as he likes to be known by that name fair enough, though he might change his mind once he realises what that shortened version of his name means in English, a bit like manual manipulator being a surname in the US I'm pretty sure anyone moving here would probably change it.

To be fair he’s lived in Manchester for years so probably has an idea!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, pillred said:

Not offended, and as he likes to be known by that name fair enough, though he might change his mind once he realises what that shortened version of his name means in English, a bit like W*n*e* being a surname in the US I'm pretty sure anyone moving here would probably change it.

You do know hes London born Scottish qualified right?

Edited by Natchfever
  • Like 2

On 18/02/2024 at 10:07, Robbored said:

Of course it’s out. LM has inherited his predecessors squad and it’ll take the summer’s activities during the window to enable Manning to start building his own squad.

He’ll also have a full preseason to implement his methods and strategies and hopefully he’ll stop complaining about the  busy fixture list………….:cool2:

Hopefully we’ll also see what the playing strategies and method are - I can hardly wait……..:dunno:

But I thought we already had a squad capable of a top 6 finish !

• Facepalm 1

8 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Been on here since 2016 but only posted half a dozen times , all recently anti Pearson dribble

You work it out 😙

Amazing how many suddenly decided to post years after joining and regarding NP

#BristolSport

When was Tinnion appointed loans manager? Around 2016 wasn't it? 

On 18/02/2024 at 16:22, Robbored said:

Do you know what he’s trying to do?…….nobody on here seems to know including those who are students of the game.

Interesting article with the QPR manager who said we are one of the best if not the best pressing and counter pressing team in the league so he changed their way of playing to counter us. It worked a treat for them and the concern for me atm is can Manning make “in game” adjustments that give them something different to worry about?

I suspect that Carrick and Martin didn’t worry so much about US and for three of the four halves in those games we looked good. To me it seems Mannings biggest challenge right now is to be a Championship standard “tactician” against managers setting out to nullify us. It’s way too easy to stop us playing if that’s your first aim.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Interesting article with the QPR manager who said we are one of the best if not the best pressing and counter pressing team in the league so he changed their way of playing to counter us. It worked a treat for them and the concern for me atm is can Manning make “in game” adjustments that give them something different to worry about?

I suspect that Carrick and Martin didn’t worry so much about US and for three of the four halves in those games we looked good. To me it seems Mannings biggest challenge right now is to be a Championship standard “tactician” against managers setting out to nullify us. It’s way too easy to stop us playing if that’s your first aim.

Tbh until the triple change we were still better in a lot of aspects except for one key one.

We did change, it just drastically downgraded our shape, cohesion etc...

Injury to Bell was unfortunate.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

This was Manning after QPR (a):

IMG_9869.jpeg.b5ac625ad2e723d85186e613cdf865e1.jpeg

image.png.6c3d05bbc33f765a72127b61bb994afe.png

not QPR (h).

52 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Russell Martin also commented on our strengths in those areas. I was struck when it was put to Liam in last week's presser that his response was a 'yes but..' one. As in 'Yes but there were times when we also had controlled possession".

That implied to me that he discounted the praise because he wants to play in a different way despite the players being best suited to an aggressive approach.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

not QPR (h).

As I said Dave, it’s unerring. He could have said exactly the same thing after each game. It doesn’t help that he seems to have the same group of stock phrases, and sometimes even saying the same thing a different way goes down better, but at heart he doesn’t seem to be “learning”. The process is the process and the process has to work - but that forgets there are two teams in a game, and the opponents won’t always do what your process wants them to.

I sound like a broken record but it’s all part of the same thematic. Adaptability. Intuition. Managing the game and not the textbook. I’m keen to see what transpires in the last thirteen games but he needs to take some real steps here as it seems, from both here and elsewhere, he’s got a very clear flaw - and it’s whether that’s fatal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

not QPR (h).

This is a really interesting read Dave! Although it’s left me feeling somewhat confused. 
   It gives every suggestion that the coach has answers to the problems that QPR faced us with, but he seems to be suggesting that the players weren’t able to translate what was taught, into play in the pitch?

11 minutes ago, JP Hampton said:

This is a really interesting read Dave! Although it’s left me feeling somewhat confused. 
   It gives every suggestion that the coach has answers to the problems that QPR faced us with, but he seems to be suggesting that the players weren’t able to translate what was taught, into play in the pitch?

There’s a quote “Just when you think you have all the answers, I change the questions”.

Thats what I think the issue is. Liam is brilliant analytically. I can guarantee that if you showed him practically any team, he’d give you a plausible way to play against and possibly beat them. I’m sure he did that against QPR as in all games

Two problems though:

- in order to beat them in the way you want to play, you need to have the players to do that. We’re never going to be able to afford the best players, but you can argue that if you get players who play how you want you can execute the plan

But…

- Even if they do that, the plan needs to change at this level. So we could give Liam infinite resource to play way A, but until he shows an ability to counter the opponents moves, you’re only 30% of the way there.

It’s hard - because I do think he’s a superb analyst and I think he’s probably a top class coach at academy level. I’m not sure that he’s a manager as yet because of the inherent weakness, and as it’s run through him at all three clubs so far, it’s again whether it’s too far ingrained now.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, JP Hampton said:

I don’t mind admitting that I’ve analysed Manning / Manning-ball more than anyone else, but mainly because I wanted to be fair to him and the situation he took over.  Different expectations from me to the usual new manager appointment which avoid / get out of relegation!

I didn’t want to just look at results because the “new manager curve” can influence up or down, or a combo of both.  And I’ve probably gone too far in some cases, but I’m happy that the conclusions I’ve reached at these stage are fair (in my mind at least).

In summary he’s done alright, he’s ticked things over.  Some pluses, some minuses, but he’s not “done a Rooney” (like at Brum), but nor has he “flown”.

What I don’t know at this point is which direction he will trend.  There are so many levers that can be pulled in all sorts of directions for me to fall back on “he just needs a pre-season”.  If he can trend-up from where we are, we will go places.

Never dull at Bristol City / on OTIB!

On 20/02/2024 at 14:51, Silvio Dante said:

There’s a quote “Just when you think you have all the answers, I change the questions”.

Thats what I think the issue is. Liam is brilliant analytically. I can guarantee that if you showed him practically any team, he’d give you a plausible way to play against and possibly beat them. I’m sure he did that against QPR as in all games

Two problems though:

- in order to beat them in the way you want to play, you need to have the players to do that. We’re never going to be able to afford the best players, but you can argue that if you get players who play how you want you can execute the plan

But…

- Even if they do that, the plan needs to change at this level. So we could give Liam infinite resource to play way A, but until he shows an ability to counter the opponents moves, you’re only 30% of the way there.

It’s hard - because I do think he’s a superb analyst and I think he’s probably a top class coach at academy level. I’m not sure that he’s a manager as yet because of the inherent weakness, and as it’s run through him at all three clubs so far, it’s again whether it’s too far ingrained now.

I think this sort of gives some credence to LM having a perfect plan A, but has yet to see variable ways of playing, when the opponent doesn’t play the way “he’d planned them doing, the possibly missing plan B.

On 20/02/2024 at 15:04, Davefevs said:

I don’t mind admitting that I’ve analysed Manning / Manning-ball more than anyone else, but mainly because I wanted to be fair to him and the situation he took over.  Different expectations from me to the usual new manager appointment which avoid / get out of relegation!

I didn’t want to just look at results because the “new manager curve” can influence up or down, or a combo of both.  And I’ve probably gone too far in some cases, but I’m happy that the conclusions I’ve reached at these stage are fair (in my mind at least).

In summary he’s done alright, he’s ticked things over.  Some pluses, some minuses, but he’s not “done a Rooney” (like at Brum), but nor has he “flown”.

What I don’t know at this point is which direction he will trend.  There are so many levers that can be pulled in all sorts of directions for me to fall back on “he just needs a pre-season”.  If he can trend-up from where we are, we will go places.

Never dull at Bristol City / on OTIB!

Yep always something to think about 😊

• Like 3