IGNORED

All the best sam bell

Simon bristol

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I've got nothing to base this off.

But seems to be ever since the covid interrupted seasons that this trend in football has occurred. 

I'm not saying covid is the cause. I'm suggesting that the stop start nature was a contributing factor? 

And then we had the winter world cup too. 

Without wanting to go down a Covid route, interestingly whilst searching I found a study here suggesting a link between Covid infection and muscular fatigue leading to injuries: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10048896/#:~:text=The results of this study,occurred before contracting the infection.

There's also studies on other sports showing the same patterns such as NFL and basketball

This study suggests injury rates were faling in the preceeding years https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/55/19/1084

5 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

When I used to play I was always told "if your hammy goes in the the first half, you've not warmed up properly" 

Nah that could have been a load of bullshit but if you think about it there is probably some logic to it. 

Fair point but you'd assume at that level warming up should be adequate... probably shouldn't assume that!

Muscle tears can also be down to overuse & fatigue or as @The Coach said lack of proper strength and conditioning.

I think on that point footballers are spending more time in the gym than they used to but I wonder if that's also a potential contributor to over use?

To be honest with the amount of money in the game you'd assume most professional clubs have the best science and training methodology, it could just be bad luck.

Feel sorry for the lad, I said he looked lost in that first game against West Ham at HT - then second half he was brilliant, same against Forest & Southampton. There's a real decent player in there with a bit more coaching and quality.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Looks to me that we're right near the top with 4 long term injuries (Atkinson & Bell expected return dates need updating)

Interesting that Ipswich have no injuries listed. Haven't they got the bloke who was blamed for record levels of injury when with us.

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It doesn't feel like it tbh. We have a lot of medium to long term de rigeur and then short term ones bump it up saw in October 2023 especially.

McCrorie and Twine just 2 examples of medium term to long term injuries not long after joining.

Atkinson hasn't kicked a ball in a year for first team, Benarous hasn't kicked a ball in 2 years.

Baker had to retire, Kalas and Williams major issues.

Etc.

You can add Pring to that too unless that is reported now?

That is a snapshot in time tbh.

Weimann did his ACL in October 2020. Semenyo had a long while out, Scott picked up an injury in the Summer. Naismith has played half a season at the most in both seasons he's had here...

Certainly very concerning and it must have an impact on players who want to sign for us..

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Weimann did his ACL in October 2020. Semenyo had a long while out, Scott picked up an injury in the Summer. Naismith has played half a season at the most in both seasons he's had here...

Certainly very concerning and it must have an impact on players who want to sign for us..

I think our squad is a bit thin and that can put pressure on overplaying some and this holds up to a point- but at the same time, something can't be right.

I remember in LJ's final season by mid September Kalas, DaSilva, Nagy and Afobe all had medium to long term injuries. Plus Korey and his rolling issues.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think our squad is a bit thin and that can put pressure on overplaying some and this holds up to a point- but at the same time, something can't be right.

I remember in LJ's final season by mid September Kalas, DaSilva, Nagy and Afobe all had medium to long term injuries. Plus Korey and his rolling issues.

The Afobe one was an absolute sickener and had a huge impact on the whole season. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

With hindsight, we (and he) were very lucky he got that all important first goal against Southampton, as it would have been awful if his last appearance and involvement this season were to have been his unfortunate penalty against Forest.

Yes, I know he started against Middlesbrough.

Those were my thoughts too. Gutted for him as he had just put that match behind him and was ready to get more experience for the rest of the season. Small consolation too is that he will have the full support from his parents, Mickey must have come through a fair few injuries and will have first hand experience of the months ahead for Sam.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 2015 said:

The Afobe one was an absolute sickener and had a huge impact on the whole season. 

I'd say they all impacted in various ways hut that was piovotal yes.

Gutted for him too, as well as us.

Palmer

Weimann Afobe

That was a good basis albeit still needed some tweaks, but you take Afobe out and it impacts the whole gameplan drastically.

(Other knock on effects include..

DaSilva out Rowe in. Less pace and dynamism.

Kalas out, Williams in. Higher line much more impacted. Williams pace had gone.

Nagy and Smith out..perhaps forced to play Massengo more than intended).

35 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

When I used to play I was always told "if your hammy goes in the the first half, you've not warmed up properly" 

Nah that could have been a load of bullshit but if you think about it there is probably some logic to it. 

Not sure, it had been fine with some serious work load for 20 odd minutes before it happened…. I always think the outright quick players are more susceptible to hamstring injuries, michael owen used to get them a lot, their movements are more explosive, and the wear on their bodies is high.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Sometimes though player's hamstrings go when they have been playing nearly the whole game I'm not sure I buy the warming-up theory.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, westonred said:

Perhaps Seb will get into the 1st team picture now

Unlikely as we can’t recall him from Newport 

40 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Does anyone know when Pring is back?

Apologies if already posted on here.

Trained today, don’t know if back for the weekend yet, expected to train tomorrow per LM interview 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Unlikely as we can’t recall him from Newport 

Trained today, don’t know if back for the weekend yet, expected to train tomorrow per LM interview 

No mention of Naismith after his “stiffness” last week…. We all know where this is heading. 

1 hour ago, The Coach said:

I had this conversation a few years ago with a friend of mine based in the US who has a PhD in Exercise Science.

He couldn’t get over the lack of strengthening our football players do not do in order to protect their hamstrings. He understands how important pace is in the game, but feels our footballers would benefit a lot more by bullet proofing their hamstrings with further strength and conditioning. They’re not Olympic sprinters after all.

I also shown him some of City’s strength and conditioning workouts that had been posted on YouTube from pre seasons. Again, he was surprised on the execution of exercises and couldn’t believe how poorly they were being setup and performed by our players. Which I imagine happens across a lot of professional football clubs.

The last part of your post I've always questioned and spotted in these videos, I do wonder if these players actually warm up properly or do the exercises/routines as they should and if each individual is being watched on how they do these or maybe it's just a case of are the players to fit? Maybe a stupid question but sometimes muscles can be put under alot of pressure especially nowadays with sports science and modern pitches. 

57 minutes ago, pillred said:

Sometimes though player's hamstrings go when they have been playing nearly the whole game I'm not sure I buy the warming-up theory.

Of course. And you'd want to look into the reasons for that. 

But when a hammy goes in the first half I think it requires a deeper dive into why it happened. Did the player warm up properly? What has his work load been of late? What zone was he in? Was his recovery from the last game sufficient. 

All those sort of things. Because Hammys shouldn't be going in the first half. 

• Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Of course. And you'd want to look into the reasons for that. 

But when a hammy goes in the first half I think it requires a deeper dive into why it happened. Did the player warm up properly? What has his work load been of late? What zone was he in? Was his recovery from the last game sufficient. 

All those sort of things. Because Hammys shouldn't be going in the first half. 

Hammy causing problems again - sounds like another exciting episode of Tales of the Riverbank!

• Haha 3
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Real shame but at least it comes at a time when frankly our season is over.

Gives him plenty of time to get himself sorted for pre season though, can’t recall him missing any other significant spell with an injury.

The season he first broke through, might’ve even been his first start, tore his hamstring after 15 mins against Stoke or Wednesday (can’t remember which).  It let Tommy into the first team picture.

• Robin 1

2 hours ago, CityReds said:

Needs surgery! That usually means a full or near full rupture from the bone. Up to 6 months 

image.thumb.png.83c45ca1b2cf1076fc70250ebb9cb622.png

First thing I am doing when I buy the club off Lansdown is knocking down the HPC, removing the Rovers scarf from the foundations that’s clearly planted there along with other witchcraft, bless the site with Thatchers Gold, rebuild it and call it the Bristol City Training Ground. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Robin 1

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It doesn't feel like it tbh. We have a lot of medium to long term de rigeur and then short term ones bump it up saw in October 2023 especially.

McCrorie and Twine just 2 examples of medium term to long term injuries not long after joining.

Atkinson hasn't kicked a ball in a year for first team, Benarous hasn't kicked a ball in 2 years.

Baker had to retire, Kalas and Williams major issues.

Etc.

You can add Pring to that too unless that is reported now?

That is a snapshot in time tbh.

3 weeks is not medium term, however you look at it. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, James54De said:

3 weeks is not medium term, however you look at it. 

Perhaps not then but the gap between games..more like a month between the Watford and QPR games.

Hopefully he is fine now and will feature more often than not. Difference between technically fit and match fit too of course.