IGNORED

Diedhiou - a song or boos?

Cole Not Gas

4 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

The sad truth is that, whilst I really rated him at one point when he played for us, I am utterly indifferent to his return. I’m not sad or upset that he is playing for Cardiff, I’m not even angry that he downed tools for five months as I don’t know the wider circumstances, what he was told and what happened behind the scenes.

But those five months of disinterested performances have left me with complete apathy. I don’t care that he plays for Cardiff, he’ll just be another player on Saturday and I have absolutely no interest in his career.

This is where I am too, and it's really disappointing as like you I did like/rate him for a lot of his time with us, and thought he got a hard deal from a lot of the fans.

So no-one likes my suggested song for tomorrow? He comes from Senegal and now he'll win **** All, Famara....

Thats fine with me and thanks for the responses. Not quite a 'Marmite' player for us but the replies suggest not everyone appreciated his efforts as i did especially away from home when Lee J was playing just one up top and also in defending corners

If Pearson had been able to keep him, he wouldn't have his awful rep of leaving us in the position he did; poor win rate over 3 seasons, desperately short of tall forwards etc. The more you think about the players Pearson 'lost' the worse his record becomes. Diedhou's exit was not all the manager's fault though.

2 minutes ago, Cole Not Gas said:

If Pearson had been able to keep him, he wouldn't have his awful rep of leaving us in the position he did; poor win rate over 3 seasons, desperately short of tall forwards etc. The more you think about the players Pearson 'lost' the worse his record becomes. Diedhou's exit was not all the manager's fault though.

Yeah what an idiot Pearson is ‘losing’ players when budgets are having to be cut drastically to avoid points deductions.

If you were following the club at all at the time you’d be aware everyone knew Diedhiou was leaving on a free that summer before Nigel Pearson had even taken the job.

You are either on the wind up or just a genuine moron.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Yeah what an idiot Pearson is ‘losing’ players when budgets are having to be cut drastically to avoid points deductions.

If you were following the club at all at the time you’d be aware everyone knew Diedhiou was leaving on a free that summer before Nigel Pearson had even taken the job.

Going by his history of posts since ‘newly’ 🤔  joining I’m not sure which but I’d go for the former

The fact he appreciates FD and not Pearson is ......🤣

FWIW Diedhiou’s eyes were always elsewhere IMO , and it was completely apparent he was never signing a new contract

Should have been moved on after 12 months IMO - he was the probably biggest obstacle to LJ possibly progressing things IMO

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cole Not Gas said:

The year after Diedhiou left Pearson constructed one of the best forward partnerships I can remember at this level, with Weimann getting 22 goals. Where exactly did you see Diedhiou fitting in / improving that?!

Surely getting rid of one of our higher earners who was putting in next to no effort (and has only played a handful of games for about 4 different clubs since leaving), and creating a fantastic strike force the season after is a success, not a failure for Pearson?

• Like 2
  • Flames 4

3 hours ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

176 appearances with 10 goals and 16 assists as a winger whose primary job was to score goals and set them up is absolutely dreadful.

No idea how he was with us for 6 years.

Stats don’t tell everything OT. He must have been under instructions not to take on full backs, he undoubtedly had the pace and skills.but I can’t remember him ever going on a Murrayesque run.

His role was to stay wide and occupy the full back creating space for others and he did that pretty well Imo.

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

3 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Going by his history of posts since ‘newly’ 🤔  joining I’m not sure which but I’d go for the former

The fact he appreciates FD and not Pearson is ......🤣

FWIW Diedhiou’s eyes were always elsewhere IMO , and it was completely apparent he was never signing a new contract

Should have been moved on after 12 months IMO - he was the probably biggest obstacle to LJ possibly progressing things IMO

Diedhiou was also offered apparently the highest ever contract according to Mark Ashton at the time, and he still never signed it, which implied to me he'd already checked out of remaining with us.

7 minutes ago, beaverface said:

Diedhiou was also offered apparently the highest ever contract according to Mark Ashton at the time, and he still never signed it, which implied to me he'd already checked out of remaining with us.

That turned out not to be true - more falsehoods from Ashton. Famara confirmed that after he’d moved on.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

176 appearances with 10 goals and 16 assists as a winger whose primary job was to score goals and set them up is absolutely dreadful.

No idea how he was with us for 6 years.

Yeh but he scored a good goal v Norwich once, which makes up for everything else right?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, bearded_red said:

I do not intend 'winding up' people - there is enough of that and 'Pearson-love-in' on this forum. Nor do i think i'm a genuine (or troll) moron! You make a very good point about budget cuts and i would totally agree with you. Iam Nick's point about W-S-M who Tinman/The Club presented to Pearson rather than trusting him to bring in any of his own signings. I saw most of Weimann's 22 that season and fair play to Pearson, appreciated Martin, seeing his goals at Peterborough in the rain,and I know how good Semenyo was. If Manning had Scott and Semenyo in his side, his record would be infinitely better than our last 3-4 seasons.

So i liked Diedhiou, accept he didnt help us at the end, i dont believe much of what Ashton ever said and i am certainly not a Pearson fan. TC scores today!

• Facepalm 1

19 minutes ago, Cole Not Gas said:

If Manning had Scott and Semenyo in his side, his record would be infinitely better than our last 3-4 seasons.

You’re aware that when Nigel Pearson took the City job Alex Scott was a 17 year old with zero football league appearances and Antoine Semenyo was a player with zero goals in forty three Championship games that plenty had written off as not being good enough for this level? To even suggest Pearson was just handed them as the finished articles they were on the day they were sold is wholly disingenuous. 

I wonder how Liam Manning would have got on inheriting a car crash of a club, with a rotten culture of half arsed unfit players, no style of play, a wage bill that needed slashing to avoid points deductions, imposed austerity measures and a reliance on young, unproven players. Rather than the decent, solid, spirited, athletic, mid table team he actually did inherit.

To proudly boast of ‘not being a Pearson fan’ and attempting to make up complete garbage to criticise him shows you can’t have been paying attention.

Apologies to everyone for yet another thread being taken off course, but seriously, if people will insist on talking utter shit.

• Like 1
  • Flames 10

On 29/02/2024 at 19:28, Robbored said:

I know that other fans boo their former players when they return to their old club but why?  To me it’s just an immature few that think it’s ‘clever’.

Famara did a decent enough job for us as did O’Dowda. Both gave their all and never let the team down. Neither deserve a hostile reaction.

But managers are fine to slag off? Double standards…

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ziderarmy said:

But managers are fine to slag off? Double standards…

Managers are fair game and fans criticism is usually aimed their choice of tactics, formations, substitutions and style of play - Manning is no exception.

Former players returning to AG, especially those that did well for City should be welcomed not booed or slagged off,

• Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, bearded_red said:

You’re aware that when Nigel Pearson took the City job Alex Scott was a 17 year old with zero football league appearances and Antoine Semenyo was a player with zero goals in forty three Championship games that plenty had written off as not being good enough for this level? To even suggest Pearson was just handed them as the finished articles they were on the day they were sold is wholly disingenuous. 

I wonder how Liam Manning would have got on inheriting a car crash of a club, with a rotten culture of half arsed unfit players, no style of play, a wage bill that needed slashing to avoid points deductions, imposed austerity measures and a reliance on young, unproven players. Rather than the decent, solid, spirited, athletic, mid table team he actually did inherit.

To proudly boast of ‘not being a Pearson fan’ and attempting to make up complete garbage to criticise him shows you can’t have been paying attention.

Apologies to everyone for yet another thread being taken off course, but seriously, if people will insist on talking utter shit.

Don’t apologise Bearded

Cracking post

1 hour ago, Cole Not Gas said:

I do not intend 'winding up' people - there is enough of that and 'Pearson-love-in' on this forum. Nor do i think i'm a genuine (or troll) moron! You make a very good point about budget cuts and i would totally agree with you. Iam Nick's point about W-S-M who Tinman/The Club presented to Pearson rather than trusting him to bring in any of his own signings. I saw most of Weimann's 22 that season and fair play to Pearson, appreciated Martin, seeing his goals at Peterborough in the rain,and I know how good Semenyo was. If Manning had Scott and Semenyo in his side, his record would be infinitely better than our last 3-4 seasons.

So i liked Diedhiou, accept he didnt help us at the end, i dont believe much of what Ashton ever said and i am certainly not a Pearson fan. TC scores today!

Presented to him? You're acting like he was handed a team with Salah, Mane and Firmino ready to go.

A reasonable chunk of our fans would face been happy seeing one or all three of WSM leaving at the time. Martin never got much recognition, flappy "just runs around" Weimann, and "not a striker they score goals" Semenyo. Nige getting them working so well together at almost no notice has to be one of his bigger achievements.

No signings means he wasn't trusted? Come on. We had no money, it was nothing to do with trusting him. If he'd signed someone you'd say he can only operate with money.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Cole Not Gas said:

Tell you what, why don’t you sing your nice little song all by yourself, then any OTIBers who are nearby will get to see who the Fammy fanboy, NP hating WUM actually is!

40 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

both gave their all for us?

internet seriously GIF

if I had to name two City players who I thought went through the motions whilst playing for us, these two would be high up my list.

Famara - whilst not the most gifted with the ball at his feet was an absolute pest for the opposition defenders because of his size and power. He was also a pretty good defender in Citys box when facing set plays. He’s been unfairly rubbished on here.

O’Dowda - had the ability of pace and quick feet but was shackled and not allowed to play with freedom. Had he been encouraged to play his own game we’d be signing his praises and he’s another player who’s natural game was restricted - just as David Noble was.

57 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Famara - whilst not the most gifted with the ball at his feet was an absolute pest for the opposition defenders because of his size and power. He was also a pretty good defender in Citys box when facing set plays. He’s been unfairly rubbished on here.

O’Dowda - had the ability of pace and quick feet but was shackled and not allowed to play with freedom. Had he been encouraged to play his own game we’d be signing his praises and he’s another player who’s natural game was restricted - just as David Noble was.

For his size he was a complete lightweight - He SHOULD have been a pest and nightmare for Championship CBs

He wasn’t 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

For his size he was a complete lightweight - He SHOULD have been a pest and nightmare for Championship CBs

He wasn’t 

We also saw that Chris Martin was equally as good at defending the bear post on corners.

In Fam’s defence we didn’t play him to his strengths either.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

He wasn’t 

Like many subjects in football it’s all about opinions - whilst Famara was clumsy with the ball at his feet I thought he out himself pretty well - that said he wasn’t the best striker I’ve seen by a country mile.

City have had plenty of better strikers and Famara wouldn’t be in my top 10.

18 minutes ago, Hazelboy said:

Famara made it abundantly clear to the club that he wasn’t signing a new contract long before the final season even started.

Did he?………:dunno: That’s news to me - not that it matters now.

20 hours ago, Cole Not Gas said:

So no-one likes my suggested song for tomorrow? He comes from Senegal and now he'll win **** All, Famara....

Thats fine with me and thanks for the responses. Not quite a 'Marmite' player for us but the replies suggest not everyone appreciated his efforts as i did especially away from home when Lee J was playing just one up top and also in defending corners

Just.****.Off

Please.

• Flames 1