IGNORED

Sheffield United vs Arsenal

5 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Watching this, it makes you wonder what level of embarrassment you would accept in the Premier League.

I don't mind the idea of being promoted to the Prem, instantly relegated back to the Championship, then using the parachute payments to build towards a more sustainable crack at the Premier League.

However, I don't think I'd take that offer if it were as humiliating for us as it has been for this Sheffield United side, or Derby back in 2007/08.

So that's the question - how bad would we have to be in the Prem before you thought "Actually, I'd rather we just never got promoted"?

even if it was horrendous, and I fumed at the VAR decisions, and all the diving, and the rest of the circus... it would be worth it just to get that monkey off our back...

fed up being 'prem ready', etc

Edited by DolmanGaz
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

One of my Grandkids will be at his first game Sunday.

Will he hooked for life or never again? City win could be back. Defeat against Swansea toxic atmosphere who knows. 

What’s he done wrong? 

• Haha 7

16 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Watching this, it makes you wonder what level of embarrassment you would accept in the Premier League.

I don't mind the idea of being promoted to the Prem, instantly relegated back to the Championship, then using the parachute payments to build towards a more sustainable crack at the Premier League.

However, I don't think I'd take that offer if it were as humiliating for us as it has been for this Sheffield United side, or Derby back in 2007/08.

So that's the question - how bad would we have to be in the Prem before you thought "Actually, I'd rather we just never got promoted"?

Joy of promotion and 3 months euphoria.

Then 9 months of meltdown on here.

What more could we want?

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Spud if we ever made it would always be about the journey and the joy of promotion.

The season in the Premier would be shite.

Agreed...but I'd enjoy it more if we did it the right way. 

15 minutes ago, RollsRoyce said:

We are so far off a Prem club. 

So were Sheff Utd imo. 

ATM...we are nearer league 1.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Or…….having a mandatory clause in PL contracts that includes a 75% salary reduction if relegated. No need for parachute payments then.

You'd need to call it a mandatory 300% Premier League bonus to get it past the PFA.

I've only had a ST for 12 or 13 years, despite my age, but went a fair bit before that. I increasingly doubt I will ever enjoy a season as much as that Cotts year in L1...

getting spanked every week in the prem wouldn't be fun that's for sure, but hoping one year we put together a run in the Champ and get there, but even if I see another 30 seasons I've no confidence it'll happen!!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DolmanGaz said:

even if it was horrendous, and I fumed at the VAR decisions, and all the diving, and the rest of the circus... it would be worth it just to get that monkey off our back...

fed up being 'prem ready', etc

Problem is that ST prices would shoot up for our season in the Prem, but upon relegation would not come down much, if at all. 

Just now, A Horse With No Name said:

Problem is that ST prices would shoot up for our season in the Prem, but upon relegation would not come down much, if at all. 

they would be fine year 1 wouldn't they? unless we were romping the championship, no way they could charge silly prices in March without knowing we'd go up?

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

Yep, bloody depressing this football lark. I doubt I'll ever see us in the Prem, but seeing what has happened to Burnley and Sheff Utd this season, it all seems pretty pointless.

Clubs who spend £100m after promotion are still £100m short of the squad value of those in 17th 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

A workmanlike team like with a couple / few “difference makers” like N’Diaye and Berge.

Agreed! this season must be putting City fans off wanting promotion. Burnley exceeded 100 points, did the double of us and always looked a different class. Then they have really failed this season with very very few highlights - which shows how tough it is, even with quality management

Sheff Utd were workmanlike and I would say 'bang average' - they won twice the number of games Pearson did, were never good..but it wasnt a good league standard was it? We managed 14th even with Scott and Semenyo so imagine how we would have done under Pearson with our current lot. I recall Blades got more than 30 points more than us and tonight they dont have a  single corner nor a shot on target. Football could get depressing unless you hit the 'Three Cherries' and get lucky like Luton did.. There is only ever one place up for grabs going up from The Championship which means if you get lucky, like Luton, you still have to win the lottery of the P.Os

• Facepalm 1

34 minutes ago, Cole Not Gas said:

Agreed! this season must be putting City fans off wanting promotion. Burnley exceeded 100 points, did the double of us and always looked a different class. Then they have really failed this season with very very few highlights - which shows how tough it is, even with quality management

Sheff Utd were workmanlike and I would say 'bang average' - they won twice the number of games Pearson did, were never good..but it wasnt a good league standard was it? We managed 14th even with Scott and Semenyo so imagine how we would have done under Pearson with our current lot. I recall Blades got more than 30 points more than us and tonight they dont have a  single corner nor a shot on target. Football could get depressing unless you hit the 'Three Cherries' and get lucky like Luton did.. There is only ever one place up for grabs going up from The Championship which means if you get lucky, like Luton, you still have to win the lottery of the P.Os

You look at the bottom 3 in the Prem and it really does make you question the point of it all . We spend a fortune watching City but as always with the Championship , the next step up is simply a season of humiliation for those who make it ! It really shouldn’t have been allowed to get this way ! Honestly feel like this Sheff Utd result tonight will have as much bearing on whether I renew my ST or not as City’s “ performances” will ! 

Edited by Baldyman

1 hour ago, Baldyman said:

You look at the bottom 3 in the Prem and it really does make you question the point of it all . We spend a fortune watching City but as always with the Championship , the next step up is simply a season of humiliation for those who make it ! It really shouldn’t have been allowed to get this way ! Honestly feel like this Sheff Utd result tonight will have as much bearing on whether I renew my ST or not as City’s “ performances” will ! 

Luton have been acquitting themselves fine IMO.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Cole Not Gas said:

Yet another dig at Pearson, disregarding context and budgetary constraints, Sheffield United I expect had one of the top wage bills in the division and if promoted we keep Scott, Semenyo and build around.

Heckingbottom or NP with the squad, doubt the latter does any worse. Wilder I thought might have rallied them a bit. Heckingbottom never ever a PL manager. Went up with a higher budget side with some standouts when Covid still a factor.

His PPG with Leicester and Watford in the PL was fine, competent. As were some of the underlying stats.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Baldyman said:

You think Luton fans are questioning it?

• Like 1

Not sure how people can look at what’s happening to Sheff Utd & decide that they never want promotion in case we also have a shocker……but what about if we did a Luton? Sure, may go down but certainly giving it a good go, i would take that.

Or god forbid maybe we would even do a Brentford or Bournemouth and consolidate for a few years?

This of course would never happen under the current setup, but to just write off ever wanting to get promotion is such an odd mindset that i have never been able to understand.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Bard said:

Sheff U were shite last season I thought. Didn't understand how they got up. Obviously repeated the trick of winning 1 0 despite being terrible a few times.

Burnley were great at dominating at our level but they aren’t managing that in the Prem.

At some point during last season, I remember posting a comment, in passing and without giving it a great deal of thought, to the effect that I thought Sheffield United were a mediocre side, even at Championship level, were getting away with murder at times, thanks to the kind of refereeing that used to drive NP up the wall, barely deserved to be where they were in the league and would, if promoted, get absolutely mullered in the PL. 

Somewhat to my surprise, some bloke jumped down my throat and gave me a right rollicking about it. I was rather taken aback and slightly peed off, as I didn’t think I’d said anything particularly contentious. I don’t know what rattled his cage and I can’t remember who it was, but whoever he is, I hope he’s reading this thread. Have a nice day, mate.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, spudski said:

Agreed...but I'd enjoy it more if we did it the right way. 

So were Sheff Utd imo. 

Many Championship clubs promoted to the PL struggle, with the odd exception of course. Sheffield Utd, Burnley, Luton and Forest are the current bottom 4.

Historically it’s always been that way. For several seasons the Baggies were a yo-yo club and Burnley are becoming the same and it’s likely that Leicester will become the same as well.

Going back further Ipswich survived for two seasons but got found out and were relegated.

If/when City reach the PL we’ll be exactly the same will happen.

However I quite like thought of seeing top PL teams at AG but obviously SC prices will go up and will it be worth it to see City getting stuffed as the Blades were last night?

12 hours ago, Sniper said:

Yep, bloody depressing this football lark. I doubt I'll ever see us in the Prem, but seeing what has happened to Burnley and Sheff Utd this season, it all seems pretty pointless.

I guess the question is, would you take being competitive and successful almost every other year in the championship if it meant almost definitely being whipping boys at least once in the Prem?

Yes they are shite this year, but no doubt both will be in the top 6 next season with parachute payments.

There's obviously a chance you can give it a good go like Luton, and even the almost miraculous that was Brighton / Brentford and pushing on further.

10 hours ago, Cole Not Gas said:

Yet another post about nothing so you can include various digs at Pearson

You are not only embarrassingly clueless ,but a bore

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 2