IGNORED

Manning Interview

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Why though, it can't be FFP surely??

Genuinely don’t know that I’m afraid 

if I was a guessing man - I’d say it is because they want out. They have done for a while . Why would you want to keep throwing your money into something you no longer want

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, exAtyeoMax said:

It's SL's money and investment at the end of the day…if we get relegated

I am not going to knock the hard work SL has put in to the club eg stadium/HPC, losses funding etc, however it is feeling like the club needs change, as risky as that could be sometimes risk can be exciting, it is stale at present and we just seem to be going through the same cycles. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, BS3 Ark at Ee said:

People saying Sunday could be hostile if we lose etc……it won’t though, a few boos and that’ll be it. Heard it was gonna be toxic when Pearson was unfairly sacked and majority of fans weren’t happy…..not a whimper from the Ashton Gate crowd….you wouldn’t even had known Pearson had been sacked 

Family Club of the century Bristol City again. Even the gas are more partisan than us these days, pathetic 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

if I was a guessing man - I’d say it is because they want out. They have done for a while . Why would you want to keep throwing your money into something you no longer want

I see thanks, that would make more sense than the FFP angle

Well under this manager without money but also possibly with, it's only their investment they would be hurting but with a combination of tight purse strings, a shit structure and this inexperienced manager there is only one way we will be heading in the next couple of years.

10 minutes ago, CosmosUK said:

Family Club of the century Bristol City again. Even the gas are more partisan than us these days, pathetic 

I'd say it was the most hostile in a while at the end on Saturday.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I am not going to knock the hard work SL has put in to the club eg stadium/HPC, losses funding etc, however it is feeling like the club needs change, as risky as that could be sometimes risk can be exciting, it is stale at present and we just seem to be going through the same cycles. 

yes…

Just now, exAtyeoMax said:

It's SL's money and investment at the end of the day…if we get relegated

I don't think SL gives a toss about City anymore. He has not supported Pearson or Manning in the transfer market and is just keeping the transfer fees. He has no ambition for the club and I imagine the fall in the wage bill would bring a smile to his face if we went down. Seeing Scott and Semenyo last week playing for Bournemouth last week reminded me of what we lost and how little has been spent replacing Premiership standard players 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Agreed. 

All eras come to an end, it feels like the SL one has ended in trajectory if not reality.

We need some fresh impetus (IMO). Energy, new ideas and enthusiasm.

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

Just now, Redrascal2 said:

I don't think SL gives a toss about City anymore. He has not supported Pearson or Manning in the transfer market and is just keeping the transfer fees. He has no ambition for the club and I imagine the fall in the wage bill would bring a smile to his face if we went down. Seeing Scott and Semenyo last week playing for Bournemouth last week reminded me of what we lost and how little has been spent replacing Premiership standard players 

yes happy for them, sad for us. We'll probably lose Cam and Conway this summer too. Gutted 

• Like 1

Did anyone listen to his pre match interview on RB too? I really just don’t like the bloke, he sounds like a slightly more intelligent version of LJ with the constant coach speak and waffle, it puts me to sleep every time I hear it.

The one thing I miss more than anything about Nigel and Curtis is that neither suffered fools or spoke any bullsh*t, which goes a long way with fans. 

• Like 6
  • Flames 4

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed. 

All eras come to an end, it feels like the SL one has ended in trajectory if not reality.

Can we include some actual footballing nous in that list as well please! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Not sure about keeping the transfer fees, time will tell..but he is reinvesting less than he should.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed. 

Problem is they only want to sell the lot - and no one really gives a shit about the rugby, women’s team, basketball etc 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Andy082005 said:

Problem is they only want to sell the lot - and no one really gives a shit about the rugby, women’s team, basketball etc 

Women's Team shouldn't really be a dealbreaker, West Brom and Birmingham, possibly Hull all have Women's sides. It didn't put off their prospective owners.

Rugby, basketball and in particular the cost of acquisition yeah. Plus whatever cash input they need.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

39 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Ed and Gary were discussing this on Radio Bristol. JL created the pressure on Manning from the get go.

Well he had to give a some kind of reason behind sacking Pearson.

I'd want Tinnion gone along with him. 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, CosmosUK said:

Did anyone listen to his pre match interview on RB too? I really just don’t like the bloke, he sounds like a slightly more intelligent version of LJ with the constant coach speak and waffle, it puts me to sleep every time I hear it.

The one thing I miss more than anything about Nigel and Curtis is that neither suffered fools or spoke any bullsh*t, which goes a long way with fans. 

Manning is very LJ. But the sad thing is I would take LJ over him and I didn’t rate LJ. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I do feel a bit sorry for him. The players can't adapt fully to how he wants to play. I'm sure the club isn't going to rebuild the squad in the summer for him. Perhaps he'll be better off elsewhere

I think he’s been naive or foolish in trying to come in and change things so dramatically with, in his words, such little time on the grass.

Any manager coming in mid season is going to struggle to make big changes and in fairness to him he’s come in to an unusual situation.

Often mod season changes happen because a manager has ran out of ideas or “lost” the dressing room, a falling out has happened or the team is dramatically failing.

It’s rare (although a few teams have done it this year for some reason) for a manager to get sacked while he still “has the dressing room” and as I mentioned on another thread largely has the support of the squad and the fans.

In the former situations it’s “easy” for fresh blood to come in and rejuvenate the players, get them to enjoy playing again and freshen things up.

We didn’t need that. I didn’t see any signs of an unhappy dressing room and I think most were happy to see out this season around mid table, with a bit more flexibility in the summer.

So how does a manager come in a change a team that doesn’t just need the typical lift, a bit of motivation and confidence? I think even the best managers would struggle to come in to a team mid season, with little time to work on ideas, and drastically change the style of play - especially to a style that some of them just aren’t comfortable doing or doesn’t come naturally enough to be effective. Lastly factor in that playing possession football requires confidence and bravery. It’s hard to have the latter when you’re lacking the former!

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, CosmosUK said:

You can be a family club and still have a rocking atmosphere. Exhibit 1 - Selhurst Park. I’ve been going to the Gate since 1972 and it’s always been sedate. Bristolians are pretty calm on the whole, which is rather a good thing generally. But atmosphere is a decision rather than a mood and we do need to decide to pull our fingers out. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

24 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Sorry are you sure? Can you expand on this?

We are clear of FFP now and TV money up by £2-3m.

20 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

I mean exactly that. We will not be investing much - if any money at all. We will have to sell to buy

Thats from the poster formerly known as BCFCShags 

Looking forward to seeing our marketing campaign for selling season tickets then!

• Like 1

Lose to Swansea and he needs to definitely go, but I don’t think he will. However if any good time to do it, there is an Int break coming up after WBA. He has to beat an average Swansea side managed by another alleged candidate for the job he has taken. No ifs, no buts. Win. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Lose to Swansea and he needs to definitely go, but I don’t think he will. However if any good time to do it, there is an Int break coming up after WBA. He has to beat an average Swansea side managed by another alleged candidate for the job he has taken. No ifs, no buts. Win. 

Simply have to win that game, for all our sakes.

17 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Ironically the rugby club (SL’s preferred sport and team) are actually the biggest problem in terms of a sale. Top level rugby in this country is in a complete mess financially. Plus the rugby club have first dibs over fixtures at Ashton Gate. It’s written into the rules of the Guinness Premiership that any rugby team sharing a ground with another team, even one playing a different sport, must have fixture priority. So it’s a mess. But then this complicated structure with Bristol Sport and the stadium was of course SL’s doing, so he really has no one else to blame if it’s not attractive to potential buyers of the football club, which is the one part that could make money. And the lack of investment in the women’s team, despite some of the biggest crowds in the WSL, says everything you need to know in terms of an owner who doesn’t want to put in any more money.

Edited by Dr Balls
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

31 minutes ago, Harry said:

Because Conway doesn’t block or press the same way Wells and Knight do. 
If you lose Knight from that position you basically have to change the whole defensive set up 

McKenna brought off the ex-Man Utd donkey Tuanzebe (wasn’t he poor? and brought on Clarke, and that caused a tiring Mehmeti issues.

I can’t really comment in Conway’s lack of blocking, we became fragmented in all areas,  I’ll take your word for it.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, S_C said:

Crazy how a mood sets in, just becomes a tide which people get swept up in.

Thought everything he said was spot on. I’d have liked him to offer more praise for the performance but he certainly didn’t hang anyone out to dry. He’s right, emotion/concentration/decisiveness, however you want to phrase it, cost us. All three goals were hugely avoidable.

Blame him when he’s at fault, for sure. He isn’t at fault for tonight.

He’s left injured (his words) Pring on for 90 mins, with Mehmeti looking tired in front of him.

He didn’t react at all to Burns causing us all sorts of problems down that side.

I’m not going to hammer him for tonight because we’ve had a good go - but he’s definitely not completely oof the hook either.

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Shags?

6 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I think he’s been naive or foolish in trying to come in and change things so dramatically with, in his words, such little time on the grass.

Any manager coming in mid season is going to struggle to make big changes and in fairness to him he’s come in to an unusual situation.

Often mod season changes happen because a manager has ran out of ideas or “lost” the dressing room, a falling out has happened or the team is dramatically failing.

It’s rare (although a few teams have done it this year for some reason) for a manager to get sacked while he still “has the dressing room” and as I mentioned on another thread largely has the support of the squad and the fans.

In the former situations it’s “easy” for fresh blood to come in and rejuvenate the players, get them to enjoy playing again and freshen things up.

We didn’t need that. I didn’t see any signs of an unhappy dressing room and I think most were happy to see out this season around mid table, with a bit more flexibility in the summer.

So how does a manager come in a change a team that doesn’t just need the typical lift, a bit of motivation and confidence? I think even the best managers would struggle to come in to a team mid season, with little time to work on ideas, and drastically change the style of play - especially to a style that some of them just aren’t comfortable doing or doesn’t come naturally enough to be effective. Lastly factor in that playing possession football requires confidence and bravery. It’s hard to have the latter when you’re lacking the former!

Common mistake, overkeen to make his mark.

45 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Look, I'm sorry Liam, but this tactic won't work(much like many of your other ones!). 

Yes, a large part of the blame lies further up the chain, but this doesn't change the fact the team are repeatedly given tactics that simply don't work and don't entertain. Being angry with the board doesn't absolve Captain Mainwaring from blame as well.

I thought we did entertain tonight. I was there, although bitterly disappointed I was certainly entertained particularly in the 2nd half after easily containing Ipswich before ht. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Is BT forcing him to change mid season? He’s overseeing everything football

41 minutes ago, 38MC said:

That I can agree with.

What I can’t is that giving Manning time and money can do no harm.

It will leave us with a really disjointed squad for one as he tries to integrate new signings used to his system with the existing players who aren’t capable of it. We’ll have the worst mish-mash. 

Agree it would be.mad  to invest in a manager who is totally unproven 

• Like 1