IGNORED

Manning Interview

8 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

We shouldn't be spending vast amounts in Jan, regardless of who's manager, players are over priced then and there is no value in the market,

Ipswich signed moore and alhamadi, either of those 2 could have come in and done a job for us?

13 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

We shouldn't be spending vast amounts in Jan, regardless of who's manager, players are over priced then and there is no value in the market,

No we should have spent the money in the summer although apparently neither NP or the Chuckle Bro’s thought we needed to. 

6 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Ipswich signed moore and alhamadi, either of those 2 could have come in and done a job for us?

Transfer strategy this Jan was clearly about the summer writing off this season, they’d assumed the risk of a relegation battle to be a slim one - could/should cost them all thier jobs.

• Like 1

it keeps being mentioned how we are copying brentford/luton etc. its just dawned on me what is happening.

a few years ago ipswich were rock steady mid-lower championship with a hand tied mick macarthy holding things together. never had any money to spend.  sound familiar??  then they decided to twist, its working a treat now but they went back to league one for a bit

3 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

it keeps being mentioned how we are copying brentford/luton etc. its just dawned on me what is happening.

a few years ago ipswich were rock steady mid-lower championship with a hand tied mick macarthy holding things together. never had any money to spend.  sound familiar??  then they decided to twist, its working a treat now but they went back to league one for a bit

They went to league one due to their ownership and lack of investment, they were on the verge of administration,

They are in this position now due to new ownership and investment

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

They went to league one due to their ownership and lack of investment, they were on the verge of administration,

They are in this position now due to new ownership and investment

thankyou for correcting me👍 i dont know much about footy other than results,happy to admit that but it dont half look familiar, to me anyway

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I said after the summer window had closed and Phil Alexander gave his hostage speech on SOTC, that the hierarchy had inflicted self-harm.  They’d wasted 20 league games of opportunity to earn as many points as they could before the next window opened, regardless of manager / head-coach.  That isn’t acting in the best interests of the club.  That pettiness cost Liam Manning at least 11 games too.

I think it’s pretty unforgivable management of the club.  They can bullshit all they want about budgets set in March.  They can say Nige Pearson was offered a player(s), but they won’t tell you who they offered.  It wasn’t Scott Twine, it wasn’t Finn Azaz, it wasn’t Max Bird. They offered him an OOC CB, which putting the club and its finances first, he declined.  That’s acting in the club’s best interests!

Do you know who the CB was?

The issue is not just Manning. A much better performance last night. 
The issue is at the the top, namely the Lansdowns. It makes no difference who the manager is or will be when Manning gets sacked, as everyone knows the Lansdowns will just meddle.
A defeat against Swansea and surely he will get the chop also?

• Flames 1

6 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

The issue is at the the top, namely the Lansdowns. It makes no difference who the manager is or will be when Manning gets sacked, as everyone knows the Lansdowns will just meddle.

At any other club. You’d like to believe that’s the outcome. However, this is Bristol City.

The season is a right off. We could finish 21st and just survive relegation and Manning will go nowhere. He will be backed in the summer, possibly sacked next season. Then we end up with a hung playing squad with a mixed playing style. A complete mess. That’s Lansdown’s Bristol City.

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Nope. The philosophy is nowhere near aligned enough into how Liam wants to play and how Nige wants to play.

...and herein lies the problem, surely? What is the Bristol City footballing 'philosophy'? Who explains it?

Pearson to Manning is in every sense a handbrake turn mid-season. The reasons behind it were poorly communicated and still unclear beyond some 'falling out behind the scenes'. Regardless of results communication remains a major problem. 'Bristol City' has no visible or credible leaders.

Much of the love for Pearson lay in his no nonsense 'Nige' persona and willingness to tell it as he saw it. He was experienced and confident. He stepped into that 'voice of the club' role with relish. Did it well.

I was harsh in my assessment of Liam Manning last night. When it comes to explaining what is going on and maintaining morale in an already disgruntled fanbase he doesn't have the experience or personality to carry the responsibility he's being given. But it's not clear who else at the club does. Which is a major problem when things aren't going well.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

8 hours ago, CosmosUK said:

Did anyone listen to his pre match interview on RB too? I really just don’t like the bloke, he sounds like a slightly more intelligent version of LJ with the constant coach speak and waffle, it puts me to sleep every time I hear it.

The one thing I miss more than anything about Nigel and Curtis is that neither suffered fools or spoke any bullsh*t, which goes a long way with fans. 

Screenshot_20240306-073124.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

8 hours ago, Harry said:

They scored 10 seconds after the 4 subs. We’d brought Sykes on and he switched off. 
Not sure how LM could have reacted to the 4 subs when they literally scored immediately after 

Glad someone else noticed Sykes asleep 20 yards from his man

39 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

He should BUT until Sid ***** off with him we are still in a pickle. The bloke is totally unqualified for his position - jobs for Steve’s “boys” in action.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

Just putting the post match up here. The striking thing again is that what went wrong wasn’t “countering the counter” or reacting to what Ipswich did tactically. It’s the emotion and losing sight of the plan.

I genuinely think he thinks he did everything right even post Ipswich subs. And he is right that a large proportion was fine. But the bit that wasn’t is in large part not down to “emotion” but that old chestnut of in game management. Again.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

8 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

And what did they do to Pearson as soon as it started to bear fruit…

Whoever the manager is, they will ensure we fail. That’s exactly my point!

Absolutely.  It's the model.  Not worth investing. Buy potential,  develop your own , sell on.  Ensure you have a mid table side with the potential to have a good season if things fall into place, but don't overinvest.

Ensure the main businesses ( Bcfc & Bears) have high costs which probably appear as an income in the holding company's accounts.

He's making it pay.

Trouble is with City that changing a competent manager who will deliver on this and replacing with a student of the game with no real understanding of the wider aspects of a club is risking the mid table turning into relegation. 

I think Manning has 2 games to get a win or we're looking at a new coach for the international break.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Just putting the post match up here. The striking thing again is that what went wrong wasn’t “countering the counter” or reacting to what Ipswich did tactically. It’s the emotion and losing sight of the plan.

I genuinely think he thinks he did everything right even post Ipswich subs. And he is right that a large proportion was fine. But the bit that wasn’t is in large part not down to “emotion” but that old chestnut of in game management. Again.

Emotion ? 
Later on in a game where he's told everyone our LB is carrying a knock, and Pring looked like he was struggling in a foot race . When players are tired , they bring on one of their most potent threats from the last couple of years to play directly against a flagging FB with a knock? Sorry nothing emotional there.

If we do make changes they still score the equaliser , but it would have limited the threat down their left after that . 

I'd love to know if Sykes is fit , looked off the pace yesterday , and TBH a little lost on Saturday. 

Manning always says the plan was right , I wonder if he ever says "I got it wrong" ? 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Just watching on Sky. He’s saying that the 4 subs by them made a huge impact - but it’s him that can impact that, surely????

Hes incapable of reacting, and unwilling to acknowledge his role in losses.

We may have the worst "gaffer" in the division.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

4 hours ago, FNQ said:

Hate to say it, but a better option may have even been Matt Taylor. Surely the gas have not made a better managerial appointment on probably half the salary than us… or have they? Surely JL is not that stupid, or is he?

I quite like Taylor, he’d have been on my prospective manager lists, but not as high up as Duff.

2 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

There are definitely parallels.  A lot of anger towards the owner Evans who was not investing.  Mick kept them doing nicely in the circumstances.

59 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yep, perfect gameplan (that you or I could’ve come up with, in fact I kinda did) until it goes wrong, when it moves from being “us” to being about “them”.  Ipswich are strong in the last 15, they had a plethora of bench options, we didn’t have much, but we had Roberts, we had King, and with McCrorie struggling he had options too at RB…JKL (brave), Sykes to RB, Mebude on in front of him….legs.

He is a theory based head-coach.  He’s basically a coach.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Actually I think you'll find most of us expected us to play exactly how we did tonight. No one really expected us to be run through because we know these type of games suit us, just like West Ham suited us, just like Forest suited us and just like Southampton suited us. 

Every single one of our fans would have been able to predict what our game plan would have been today. 

So with that in mind I have to wonder why you're framing this as some sort of tactical masterclass from Manning? Why are you framing it that we all didn't expect us to play that way? There can only be one conclusion to that. 

So, you expected us to play like we did and were one of the majority who thought we’d make a good game of it (as in, you genuinely believed we would, not ‘would be typical bloody City if we got a result there tonight..’) based on previous performance?

Surely we met your expectations in a positive sense, then? Unless, as one of the worst form teams in the league, you’re saying a point was the minimum requirement against a top team who, I believe, have lost once at home all season, and that was in August.

Honestly don’t understand your last sentence. Continue to say, will say again, I’m not saying Manning is the answer, I’m not dying on a hill defending him, if he was sacked today I’d be angry at the way the club is being run not send him messages of support.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Hes incapable of reacting, and unwilling to acknowledge his role in losses.

We may have the worst "gaffer" in the division.

Not sure about the worst “gaffer” but definitely the worst “Plan”, ie there isn’t one!

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I quite like Taylor, he’d have been on my prospective manager lists, but not as high up as Duff.

There are definitely parallels.  A lot of anger towards the owner Evans who was not investing.  Mick kept them doing nicely in the circumstances.

Yep, perfect gameplan (that you or I could’ve come up with, in fact I kinda did) until it goes wrong, when it moves from being “us” to being about “them”.  Ipswich are strong in the last 15, they had a plethora of bench options, we didn’t have much, but we had Roberts, we had King, and with McCrorie struggling he had options too at RB…JKL (brave), Sykes to RB, Mebude on in front of him….legs.

He is a theory based head-coach.  He’s basically a coach.

I think I'd prefer this in charge.

Screenshot_20240306-094408.png