IGNORED

Forget the dressing room, he's lost the fans

harvey54

12 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Agree with pretty much all of this. One of the oddities about Liam from the start has been that although he has an academy background he hasn’t brought academy players through anywhere (noting doing so is dependent on ability) - and I think you’re spot on in your thinking that if he doesn’t change that it’s against the club ethos and makes the appointment - particularly with a turgid first team - curiouser and curiouser.

The one bit I do slightly disagree with is that his job was on the toss of a coin yesterday. I do agree SL turning up was a bit random, but he’ll have seen the empty ground and the reaction both during and post match (including here). It’s a case of a win not necessarily papering over cracks, but putting the coach under more pressure because the fanbase reaction is not just “great we won” but “great we won but by god that was awful”. Similarly to if Pep lost one game it wouldn’t be cause for the sack, Liam winning one game shouldn’t move the dial - particularly in the manner those who watched it say it was achieved in.

I think he’s under big, and possibly increased pressure with the things outside the result yesterday.

I will be surprised if he manages a year here tbh. His arrogance will undo him in the end. Liam is one of those people who "knows best".......it positively drips out of him. Anyone who doesn't understand his principles is a mug.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Fans are fickle, they are easy to lose and win, win 10 on the trot a d most will be happy,

I wouldnt read too much into it at the moment 

With the level of football being played at present there’s more chance of losing 10 on the spin than ever coming close to winning that number.  The quality of football that the current head coach is presiding over is dreadful, it’s not entertaining and has very little to get enthused over. 

• Like 2

Whilst the hierarchy at the club remains the same then so will the managerial appointments. Do people ever wonder why SL can find no-one to invest in the club? I'll give you a small clue Steve, why would anybody invest when you will remain the majority shareholder......it's a club in a big city with everything in place to go forwards. For all the fantastic work you've done for the club you are also the reason the club is stagnating.....

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Fans are fickle, they are easy to lose and win, win 10 on the trot a d most will be happy,

No, they're not. Most are pretty astute.

You serve up drivel like that 10 times out of 10, even winning each game 1-0 you won't have many fans turning up by game 11.

How can you call City fans fickle after decades of under achievement. At least 14,000 City fans turned up yesterday to endure that dire performance.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

You serve up drivel like that 10 times out of 10, even winning each game 1-0 you won't have many fans turning up by game 11.

While I agree with sentiment re the football, I totally disagree with even if we win 10 on the spin that fans wouldn't turn up for the 11th game....winning breeds confidence and mentality, something we currently lack.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Won't be surprised to see Conway go, Pring to be sold and possibly one other (based purely on a rumour) to be sold.

Hope I'm wrong but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see offers for Max after his recent performances,  it's only his recent re-signing that may save us.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GrahamC said:

SOD really only got stick in League One after our relegation, which most thought was fairly inevitable with the situation he inherited, so later on in his time.

Large numbers can see Manning is making us worse & the football is turgid to have to endure.

With SOD at least there was some process, it just wasn't working quick enough and we were in danger of dropping again.  He was slowly turning a bad disjointed squad around, with Manning he's simply made a decent squad bad.

• Like 9

43 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I was furious when Pearson was dismissed and I believe that we have gone backwards under Manning. The board should take the blame for the dismissal and what has gone on since, but let me make one thing clear, nothing would delight me more if Manning goes on to be a huge success. I also don't agree with very personal attacks on him, criticise his flawed decisions, but that should be it.

We are all Bristol City fans and surely we want the team winning and playing well. I really don't want to see us plummet towards relegation so I can smugly say 'look I was right all along'. I'd love for another poster to be ridiculing some of my posts of the past few months because we go unbeaten until the end of the season and the football is front foot and exciting. I'm extremely doubtful, but keeping everything crossed just the same. COYR

• Like 3
  • Robin 7

Just reading back this thread, a couple people mentioned Steve Lansdown was in attendance yesterday.

Can I ask, is that unusual? With not being able to see the centre executive box from the South Stand, it's rare for me to know is SL is in attendance or not?

1 minute ago, beaverface said:

Just reading back this thread, a couple people mentioned Steve Lansdown was in attendance yesterday.

Can I ask, is that unusual? With not being able to see the centre executive box from the South Stand, it's rare for me to know is SL is in attendance or not?

These days it's as rare as rocking horse shit.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bpexile said:

Hope I'm wrong but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see offers for Max after his recent performances,  it's only his recent re-signing that may save us.

Rumour has it the Bears are interested, his accurate kicking out for line-out position is very accurate..

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

On the basis Manning stays we need BETTER above him. Sorry Sidney old chap………….

This is it, cutting him as much slack as you can possibly cut, Manning is learning on the job. A L1 manager asked to step up and floundering.

He needs a wise-old head to advise, not a bloke who was such a disaster at L1 that he fecked off to coach a school in Spain afterwards. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

This is it, cutting him as much slack as you can possibly cut, Manning is learning on the job. A L1 manager asked to step up and floundering.

He needs a wise-old head to advise, not a bloke who was such a disaster at L1 that he fecked off to coach a school in Spain afterwards. 

100% this.

• Thanks 1

The whole "losing the fans" is a movable feast. If we start next season like an express train he'll win the fans back.

For most fans, their judgement will be predominantly on result, if his results don't improve, he'll go, simple as that. However, if his persona stays exactly the same & we're doing well all thoughts of him being a robot/unable to connect to fans & players etc will fade away.

If we were entrenched in the top 6, folk would be on here lauding his interview style & loving the fact he doesn't get too high/low after a game.

2 rules of football:

1) results are everything;

2) never forget the 1st rule 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Tommy will stick his middle finger up to Manning, get his move and his pay rise. That's what will happen. It just won't be as big a move as he would have wanted, Liam has stunted his career in the short term and he's a shadow of the player who was banging in goals for Nige. The problem is where are the next batch of Academy lads coming from because Sam Bell excepted, the current manager doesn't seem interested one iota. I think that will be his undoing in the end, Steve will be wondering wtf happened to the nest egg at some point, that is club stated policy to develop and make money from Youth............how our Tekkers Director squares that off with what he's allowing to happen is anyone's guess.

I do wonder why Steve suddenly turned up yesterday and whether the win gave Manning a stay of execution? Had that game ended up a 1-0 Jacks win, a 50/50 coin toss and one mistake away in such a poor quality game tbh, he might be out of a job this morning. Seems odd for Steve to randomly turn up like that.

As it stands Tommy will go for less than he’s worth this summer (my opinion).  LM has decreased his value as it stands.

And what is coming up behind of the magnitude of a £5m player through the academy…let alone £9m Semenyo and £20m Scott?

Suddenly if LM / BT want to invest in the playing squad it will have to be from trading, where the margins are hugely thinner.

There is a consequence / knock-on to not bringing through academy players.  You don’t even get to make an informed decision on them.  At least with Towler (especially) and Low, Nige and the staff got to see them “at the level”.  And we got a few quid and future sell-ons.

It is not a model you can pay lip-service too!  And I doubt SL is happy with that too!

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

I was furious when Pearson was dismissed and I believe that we have gone backwards under Manning. The board should take the blame for the dismissal and what has gone on since, but let me make one thing clear, nothing would delight me more if Manning goes on to be a huge success. I also don't agree with very personal attacks on him, criticise his flawed decisions, but that should be it.

We are all Bristol City fans and surely we want the team winning and playing well. I really don't want to see us plummet towards relegation so I can smugly say 'look I was right all along'. I'd love for another poster to be ridiculing some of my posts of the past few months because we go unbeaten until the end of the season and the football is front foot and exciting. I'm extremely doubtful, but keeping everything crossed just the same. COYR

Could not agree with this post more. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

As it stands Tommy will go for less than he’s worth this summer (my opinion).  LM has decreased his value as it stands.

And what is coming up behind of the magnitude of a £5m player through the academy…let alone £9m Semenyo and £20m Scott?

Suddenly if LM / BT want to invest in the playing squad it will have to be from trading, where the margins are hugely thinner.

There is a consequence / knock-on to not bringing through academy players.  You don’t even get to make an informed decision on them.  At least with Towler (especially) and Low, Nige and the staff got to see them “at the level”.  And we got a few quid and future sell-ons.

It is not a model you can pay lip-service too!  And I doubt SL is happy with that too!

No, Sid so appointed the wrong type of manager for the club's stated aims that it is complete and utter incompetence before you even get to laughable!!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

No, Sid so appointed the wrong type of manager for the club's stated aims that it is complete and utter incompetence before you even get to laughable!!

Oh, I agree….just pointing out the consequences!

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Oh, I agree….just pointing out the consequences!

It’s actually bloody bizarre Dave 

Tinnion always came across as genuinely enthusiastic about the playing ethos constructed under RG/NP and very much in board and constantly talking about the recruitment side of that.

Then we appoint Manning 

So , 

He either wasn’t Tinnions choice or man 

or , as I’ve previously raised a few times

He / they have totally misunderstood Mannings playing philosophy

For some reason he / they have identified the next bright thing they can dabble with and have realised and accepted that they will have to throw the old ethos out the window and start again

Yet we still have Tinnion in soundbites talking as he did under Pearson about recruitment and certainly not any notice of a change in plans

Truly Bizarre

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

What annoys me about Manning is we clearly havent got the squad capable to play the way he wants. He should have realised this by now and changed the way we play to utilise the players we have got. I feel theres going to be a lot of fans not renewing their season tickets if this dire unentertaining football carries on  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Sadly I think you're right.  I'm very concerned about us bringing in loans that simply don't hit the ground running and displace academy products.  

• Robin 1

24 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

It’s actually bloody bizarre Dave 

Tinnion always came across as genuinely enthusiastic about the playing ethos constructed under RG/NP and very much in board and constantly talking about the recruitment side of that.

Then we appoint Manning 

So , 

He either wasn’t Tinnions choice or man 

or , as I’ve previously raised a few times

He / they have totally misunderstood Mannings playing philosophy

For some reason he / they have identified the next bright thing they can dabble with and have realised and accepted that they will have to throw the old ethos out the window and start again

Yet we still have Tinnion in soundbites talking as he did under Pearson about recruitment and certainly not any notice of a change in plans

Truly Bizarre

I suppose he can't because that would expose their dishonesty to the fans. Did they (Jon and Gavin) do their due diligence on finding the new coach? I don't believe they did, or ignored advice given, who knows! Did they just pick one who was willing to come?

Edited by exAtyeoMax
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

I’m pretty sure the attendance today was in no small part down to it being Sunday, early kick-off and Mother’s Day. Form doesn’t help but I bet we see a significantly busier Gate in our next homer.

What was the actual attendance? People who were there, not the one where they count season ticket holders, who haven’t turned up.

2 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

So how, where and why, did the board get their information on Manning, and come to the conclusion that he would be a good fit for Bristol City, who decided ? Totally baffled by the appointment, but as said previously, can’t blame the bloke for wanting to better himself, and take the job, it’s the people or person who thought he was up to the job who has to take the blame.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Superb post.

Board members who attack Manning in childish terms or use non-important stuff to have a go at him - thinning hair, "boring" voice - undermine their own argument.

We have quite enough ammo against him - the way he's coaching our players to play and the in-game football decisions he makes. 

As a young manager, we hope he learns from mistakes and improves. Just as we do with young players. 

Anyone wanting us to lose games to "remove Manning" needs to, as they say, give their head a wobble. We are City. I want us to win every game we play. 

• Like 6