IGNORED

Forget the dressing room, he's lost the fans

harvey54

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The club will know but that internal data only, but I'd be surprised looking at the ground if not more than 15-16k?

The guy who sits next to me and the guy behind me weren’t there yesterday.

I’d texted my mate 10mins before kick off that the attendance looked smaller than usual, making a guesstimate of 20k.

As others have said - the actual attendance was nowhere near the one announced.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’d texted my mate 10mins before kick off that the attendance looked smaller than usual, making a guesstimate of 20k.

I'd be surprised if it was high as 20k  I really would. Closer to 15k than 20k IMO.

Absolutely not the one announced no.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, beaverface said:

Just reading back this thread, a couple people mentioned Steve Lansdown was in attendance yesterday.

Can I ask, is that unusual? With not being able to see the centre executive box from the South Stand, it's rare for me to know is SL is in attendance or not?

Not unusual, but he certainly doesn't attend every match like he used to.

As for the attendance, I'd take about a third off the figure given and that would be closer

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

OS says 20,995 i’m afraid so you are wrong 

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'd be surprised if it was high as 20k  I really would. Closer to 15k than 20k IMO.

Absolutely not the one announced no.

It never is as like we all know ST holders are counted in as standard. But actual bums on seats is always at least 5000 off what is given, yesterday it was more due to all the factors previously mentioned I would think

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

If he has lost the fans than thats pretty pathetic. Christ we have an embarrassing support. The bloke has been here 3 minutes. Yes, he didn't arrive in ideal circumstances but he hasn't been given 20 games? We are Bristol City, not Barcelona. 

our fan base is a lot more patient than some others clubs eg. Beale at Sunderland classic example.

People aren’t expecting us to be Barcelona, but we look more like Braintree at the moment and that’s where the frustration comes from. That’s before you even factor in the lies about top 6 squads and proclamations of front foot football.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

No, they're not. Most are pretty astute.

You serve up drivel like that 10 times out of 10, even winning each game 1-0 you won't have many fans turning up by game 11.

How can you call City fans fickle after decades of under achievement. At least 14,000 City fans turned up yesterday to endure that dire performance.

Because we are fickle, myself included

23 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Because we are fickle, myself included

I’d suggest that the fan base is less fickle than the current board, who seem to regularly put in new “pillars” to the club ethos, which they then continue to promptly ignore, all whilst finding new ways to deflect any criticism heading their way. 

Edited by cityboy
  • Like 5

47 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

our fan base is a lot more patient than some others clubs eg. Beale at Sunderland classic example.

People aren’t expecting us to be Barcelona, but we look more like Braintree at the moment and that’s where the frustration comes from. That’s before you even factor in the lies about top 6 squads and proclamations of front foot football.

Crucially, the football is boring. This is not good.  I was away on Mother's Day duty yesterday and not at all bothered. Been going since 1989.

14 minutes ago, cityboy said:

I’d suggest that the fan base is less fickle than the current board, who seem to regularly put in new “pillars” to the club ethos, which they then continue to promptly ignore, all whilst finding new ways to deflect any criticism heading their way. 

I wouldn't say our fanbase is fickle, at all actually.

We're a mid tier club in terms of English football. We have very similar sized clubs around us in the League (Preston, Cardiff, Swansea, Millwall, QPR, Huddersfield, Hull) who have all in the last 20-30 years tasted some kind of success by reaching cup finals or the top flight. We've come close just the once in that time. 

During this time we have seen a handful of clubs surpass us in the Leagues and reach the top flight and prolong their stay there, whilst we bumble around the two middle divisions, doing not a lot.

If we are fickle it is because this club is starved of any kind of success, for god sake we commemorate matches in the FA Cup 5th round from 50 years ago if that's not a tell tale sign of how little we've had to really celebrate then I don't know what to say.

I just think a lot of the fanbase are just now bored and fed up, it's rinse and repeat under Steve and Jon Lansdown and the whole surrounding area around Ashton Gate just feels like the energy has been sucked out the place in recent times.

It's depressing.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Superb post.

Board members who attack Manning in childish terms or use non-important stuff to have a go at him - thinning hair, "boring" voice - undermine their own argument.

We have quite enough ammo against him - the way he's coaching our players to play and the in-game football decisions he makes. 

As a young manager, we hope he learns from mistakes and improves. Just as we do with young players. 

Anyone wanting us to lose games to "remove Manning" needs to, as they say, give their head a wobble. We are City. I want us to win every game we play. 

What a situation to be in again. A young Manager having to learn from his mistakes and improve. Unfortunately at Bristol City's expense. Ludicrous appointment.

• Like 6
  • Flames 2

3 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

It’s actually bloody bizarre Dave 

Tinnion always came across as genuinely enthusiastic about the playing ethos constructed under RG/NP and very much in board and constantly talking about the recruitment side of that.

Then we appoint Manning 

So , 

He either wasn’t Tinnions choice or man 

or , as I’ve previously raised a few times

He / they have totally misunderstood Mannings playing philosophy

For some reason he / they have identified the next bright thing they can dabble with and have realised and accepted that they will have to throw the old ethos out the window and start again

Yet we still have Tinnion in soundbites talking as he did under Pearson about recruitment and certainly not any notice of a change in plans

Truly Bizarre

As I keep saying, a shambles of lies and contradictions.  Not just those two, but Manning himself.  Don’t come out with:

• i wanna play a high press - and instigate a mid-block, especially when you have one of the best pressers and counter-pressers in the Champ (Knight)
  • I wanna dominate games through possession - and then say you’re controlling the game when the opponent has it (that can of course be true, but it shows the lip-service to his principles)
2 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I suppose he can't because that would expose their dishonesty to the fans. Did they (Jon and Gavin) do their due diligence on finding the new coach? I don't believe they did, or ignored advice given, who knows! Did they just pick one who was willing to come?

It’s pretty obvious that neither JL / GM spotted LM for themselves.  So that only leaves BT.

They may well’ve looked at Mousinho (not Mourinho), but we will unlikely ever know.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The club will know but that internal data only, but I'd be surprised looking at the ground if not more than 15-16k?

20,995 paying.  I’d be amazed, even with Cardiff’s 2.5k if the total through the “turnstiles” was over 15k.

2 hours ago, Big Cheese said:

So how, where and why, did the board get their information on Manning, and come to the conclusion that he would be a good fit for Bristol City, who decided ? Totally baffled by the appointment, but as said previously, can’t blame the bloke for wanting to better himself, and take the job, it’s the people or person who thought he was up to the job who has to take the blame.

See above.

FWIW I can see why they might’ve approached LM, just not for the reasons they gave.

48 minutes ago, Travis said:

I agree hence 22 games is too short to make a rational decision.

If you can’t see a direction of travel in 22 games, then don’t ever go into analysis as a career.  That might be up, down, level, ups and downs, but it’s more than enough games to know.  Just because it doesn’t suit your narrative, doesn’t make it impossible to rationalise a decision.  The decision could be “stick with him and give him money”, it’s still a decision.  You are making a decision yourself after this point, that we should keep him. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

As I keep saying, a shambles of lies and contradictions.  Not just those two, but Manning himself.  Don’t come out with:

• i wanna play a high press - and instigate a mid-block, especially when you have one of the best pressers and counter-pressers in the Champ (Knight)
  • I wanna dominate games through possession - and then say you’re controlling the game when the opponent has it (that can of course be true, but it shows the lip-service to his principles)

It’s pretty obvious that neither JL / GM spotted LM for themselves.  So that only leaves BT.

They may well’ve looked at Mousinho (not Mourinho), but we will unlikely ever know.

20,995 paying.  I’d be amazed, even with Cardiff’s 2.5k if the total through the “turnstiles” was over 15k.

See above.

FWIW I can see why they might’ve approached LM, just not for the reasons they gave.

If you can’t see a direction of travel in 22 games, then don’t ever go into analysis as a career.  That might be up, down, level, ups and downs, but it’s more than enough games to know.  Just because it doesn’t suit your narrative, doesn’t make it impossible to rationalise a decision.  The decision could be “stick with him and give him money”, it’s still a decision.  You are making a decision yourself after this point, that we should keep him. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I would not go on this Forum if I were you or maybe follow Sunderland instead they get through Coaches to suit your needs 😄

• Confused 3
  • Facepalm 7

42 minutes ago, Travis said:

I would not go on this Forum if I were you or maybe follow Sunderland instead they get through Coaches to suit your needs 😄

No, I’d rather continue to support Bristol City, but the people in charge make better decisions.  Your sycophantic approach is exactly what Steve Lansdown wants.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

No, I’d rather continue to support Bristol City, but the people in charge make better decisions.  Your sycophantic approach is exactly what Steve Lansdown wants.

Your hire em fire em is laughable don't be frightened of Sunderland it is a great fit for you 😉 

• Hmmm 1

7 minutes ago, Travis said:

Never went anywhere your opinion is in the bin BTW.

Okay, thanks.  Glad you’re so wired by me!  Why?  You seemed a reasonsble guy in the concourse that time.

There we are then.

2 minutes ago, Travis said:

Not wired at all you are the one making rash assumptions.

Rent free!

There we are then!

Just now, Travis said:

Devfevs bot accounts to the rescue 😆😆😆

Aw bless you.

There we are then

Edited by Davefevs

21 minutes ago, Travis said:

Your hire em fire em is laughable don't be frightened of Sunderland it is a great fit for you 😉 

One club sacks an experienced, respected and popular manager doing a good job under difficult circumstances because it wanted what it thought was a modern, progressive coach. Having realised their mistake they got rid.

Another club sacks an experienced, respected and popular manager doing a good job under difficult circumstances because it wanted what it thought was a modern, progressive coach. But the people who run that club never admit to getting things wrong so keep him on to save face regardless of performances and results.

Strong leaders are comfortable admitting mistakes. Weak ones aren't so they plough on regardless.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 2

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

One club sacks an experienced, respected and popular manager doing a good job under difficult circumstances because it wanted what it thought was a modern, progressive coach. Having realised their mistake they got rid.

Another club sacks an experienced, respected and popular manager doing a good job under difficult circumstances because it wanted what it thought was a modern, progressive coach. But the people who run that club never admit to getting things wrong so keep him on to save face regardless of performances and results.

Strong leaders are comfortable admitting mistakes. Weak ones aren't so they plough on regardless.

How are Sunderland doing as of late?

1 minute ago, Travis said:

How are Sunderland doing as of late?

Maybe they should never have got rid of Tony Mowbray (their version of Nigel Pearson) In the first place and they wouldn't of had to make more managerial changes?

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Travis said:

Why a hire em fire em is bad pity some fans want to get rid of Manning so fast.

Sacking Beale was arguably a correction of Error A.

See also Rowett to Harris (ironically Harris was replaced by Rowett in 2019) via Edwards and Eustace to Mowbray via Rooney.

• Like 1