IGNORED

Don’t be fooled…

2 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Enjoyed the fact that we won but hated the way we played. This possession football is duller than dishwater and less exciting than watching paint dry. That’s entertainment? I think not!

Good grief, the best bits today were the worst corner in living memory (thanks Swansea - especially from Gardner-Hickman after his kicking straight over the goal line before it even got to the penalty box has been clearly outdone) and the sprinkler not turning off at the start of the second half!

Obviously that was a crap performance, but it wasn't possession football. It was clumsy and tentative attempt at counter attacking.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Malago said:

It was regarding staying in the championship.  If we’d lost today our championship future really would have been a lot more precarious.  Not getting relegated might not matter to you, but it does to me.

It matters to me too, I don’t want us to be relegated, but I really hate the way we are playing under Manning and I have absolutely no confidence that we can improve under him. And what really upsets me is that Lansdown will let Manning waste the “nest egg” without any evidence that he will know how to use it effectively. And if you want an idea of how empty the ground will look next season, today was a good indication. No way that the season ticket numbers will reach this season’s level.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

That was bloody terrible. Literally the worse performance of the season. 

Unfortunately all it’s done is give Manning breathing space.

Making that my last visit to the gate this season. Can no longer sit through it and cant celebrate even when they win.

It wasn’t good, but it wasn’t the worst performance of the season…

Just now, mozo said:

Obviously that was a crap performance, but it wasn't possession football. It was clumsy and tentative attempt at counter attacking.

It was two teams playing really turgid football, one playing a type of ineffective football that the other one apparently wants to emulate. My recollection is that the aim of football is to score more goals than the opposition. In all the tactics, and following the prophet Guardiola and his possession-based football, that crucial element (scoring goals) appears to have been completely forgotten.

33 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

What a childish comment. If the crowds drop (or rather ST sales) to todays level where do you think we’ll end up then?

We’ll end up with an utterly embarrassing fanbase, we are a mid table Championship side which we always haven’t been. Deciding a win to be the last straw is absolutely spoilt

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

That was bloody terrible. Literally the worse performance of the season. 

Unfortunately all it’s done is give Manning breathing space.

Making that my last visit to the gate this season. Can no longer sit through it and cant celebrate even when they win.

We did ok second half, and didn't allow Swansea a shot on target, should probably have had more than one with the chances we created. All the people sat round me went home happy, and we can put to bed any thought of relegation now. To say it was the worst performance of the season is ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Fortunate Swansea aren't very good and Mr Reliable Rob Dickie could hit the target, without him we'd crumble. 

He's gunna get given the nest egg in the summer, spunk millions down the drain and we'll still be midtable/bottom half playing pattern based mindnumbing football and struggle to break down teams who don't want the ball. 

The football under Pearson wasn't expansive but it was hardworking and relentless, it's easier to give young lads opportunities when the football is more simplified. You won't see any youth players coming through now when he's desperate for results.

He's not a risk taker. He is calculated and sticks to his 'perfect plan'.

See how we do with the loss of the experienced players in the summer. What players will want to come and play football for Manning? 

The pathway will be killed and one of the my favourite bits is when a youth player gets a chance in the first team, even if they don't make it. I'd rather that then some fluff pass merchants filling the bench up.

• Like 5
  • Flames 2

3 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

We did ok second half, and didn't allow Swansea a shot on target, should probably have had more than one with the chances we created. All the people sat round me went home happy, and we can put to bed any thought of relegation now. To say it was the worst performance of the season is ridiculous.

Didn’t allow them a shot on target? Assume you are joking? They had a couple of clear chances, one particularly in the second half. They just badly missed the target. It had nothing to do with us!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

One thing this fanbase is not, is spoilt.

No club in the country with the paucity of success that we have gets home crowds of over 22,000 on a regular basis.

If you’re so annoyed that you’re calling it quits over a win that is spoilt for me. One thing I’ll say about that is there is no way there was almost 21k in there today which was announced by Downsy!

Just now, formerly known as ivan said:

Didn’t allow them a shot on target? Assume you are joking? They had a couple of clear chances, one particularly in the second half. They just badly missed the target. It had nothing to do with us!

So you think they had a shot on target? Or are you counting 'nearly on target' too? Why can't you be happy we won?

1 hour ago, Tim Monaghan said:

Because that’s my opinion. He needs a summer to bring in some of his own players etc. He’s trying to build something. I don’t expect you to agree with me and that’s fine. 

There isnt a big summer of change coming though. The Managing Technical Director of Footbal and Everything has clearly said we only need 2 players. A 10 if Twine doesnt stay, and a 9 who can score, run, hold the ball up, and pull rabbits out of a hat - i.e. a player we could never afford. That means its Bird and two lower league players and Seb PH while we lose James and Williams, Wells and Conway.  There is only one way this is going...

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

So you think they had a shot on target? Or are you counting 'nearly on target' too? Why can't you be happy we won?

No they didn’t, but you said we didn’t allow them a shot on target. It wasn’t that we didn’t allow them a shot on target, they just missed the target. Surely you know the difference?

I’ve put my reasons as to why I am not happy. Not sure how much clearer I can make it?

Just now, formerly known as ivan said:

No they didn’t, but you said we didn’t allow them a shot on target. It wasn’t that we didn’t allow them a shot on target, they just missed the target. Surely you know the difference?

I’ve put my reasons as to why I am not happy. Not sure how much clearer I can make it?

They missed the target because O'Leary was so well positioned they didn't have much to aim at?  Do you count it when we miss too?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Ryan said:

There isnt a big summer of change coming though. The Managing Technical Director of Footbal and Everything has clearly said we only need 2 players. A 10 if Twine doesnt stay, and a 9 who can score, run, hold the ball up, and pull rabbits out of a hat - i.e. a player we could never afford. That means its Bird and two lower league players and Seb PH while we lose James and Williams, Wells and Conway.  There is only one way this is going...

Add we will most likely lose Conway. James & Williams will be off. Wells another year older and Cornick not exactly a star forward player..has all the making for us finishing bottom of the league next season.

4 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

They missed the target because O'Leary was so well positioned they didn't have much to aim at?  Do you count it when we miss too?

So why didn't they hit O Leary instead of firing 10 yards over the crossbar ?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Malago said:

It was regarding staying in the championship.  If we’d lost today our championship future really would have been a lot more precarious.  Not getting relegated might not matter to you, but it does to me.

It really is.

I give you “it’s all that matters TODAY” but, and it’s a huge but, the bean counters in Bristol Sport will be well aware of what the actual attendance was today which was nowhere near 21k. With three “uninspiring” home games to come if Manning doesn’t improve it over the coming weeks and the numbers stay at todays levels they will have to act whether Sid sugar coats things or not.

I think the game changed on the bad miss from Swansea left winger Placheta.

As others have said we were poor with no shot of any sort until Dickie's effort in the 63rd min.

First time this season I'd heard booing from fans when we are in possession at 0-0, but it was really that bad. If we had conceded, the atmosphere would have become toxic straight away.

Fortunately he sliced it and the positive substitutions (he'd learnt from the Ipswich game) about bringing Roberts and King on, saw us home. We actually played some half decent stuff for about 15 mins (65-80). 

The result was everything today, 9 points clear of 22nd with 9 to play. I can't see the bottom 3 all winning 3 of 9 to see us plunge down. But God it was an awful game for around 68 minutes wasn't it? 

Pretty turgid game on the whole between two poor sides IMO. Great to get the 3 points but that level of performance will rarely be good enough for 3 points in this league. It’s a start but I don’t see this changing the over-riding direction of travel anytime soon. We’ll see. The number of empty seats must have been an eye opener for the powers that be-says it all really regardless of the kick off time etc. 

1 hour ago, Tim Monaghan said:

And so he should be. Huge summer incoming. 

If you think we're going to be making any big signings or any signings that will suddenly make us competitive I would suggest becoming prepared for disappointment. 

We'll probably bring in a few players he wants but it won't change anything as this level is far too competitive and the level of player required for Mannings set up is too expensive for us so we'll get the watered down version of what he wants. We'll also more than likely lose Conway and Pring, King will be gone and then maybe another one or two and we'll have to start another rebuild which will fail under Manning, then he'll be sacked and the board will brush under the mat how he's their man and how they're to blame before appointing another "up and coming" manager who will probably sold down the river with promises too. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

We’ll end up with an utterly embarrassing fanbase, we are a mid table Championship side which we always haven’t been. Deciding a win to be the last straw is absolutely spoilt

I think that deciding enough is enough post a win is actually more level headed then deciding enough is enough after a defeat.

I didn’t go today - watched the first 20 on Robins TV then had a grassroots game. As a result I’m not going to comment specifically on this performance but give a parallel.

Dean Holden was abysmal. We somehow got results we didn’t deserve and the moment I said he needed to go was after we beat Huddersfield 2-1 at home. We were abysmal but somehow eked out a result - but it was inevitable. If you didn’t get coloured by the result, you saw enough in the signs, allied to previous performances, to know that it was going to be over soon - or should be over soon. We limped on until we got battered by Watford, but in truth the decision should have been made a lot earlier - and for my money, the brave and level headed move was to do so post that win.

Thats the kind of vibe I’m getting from the forum this afternoon. And, to be clear, that’s far more sensible than people jumping on what looks to have been an unimpressive win as aiding the cause to retain.

• Like 5