IGNORED

Don’t be fooled…

5 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Well, the "we had to win in any way possible" explanation has been put to bed now. We won in whatever way you would call that today!! Job done in that sense. So on that basis his next job is to use a bit of a surge in confidence to churn out a performance to go with it next week. If we lose, we lose but at least compete, look interested, be brave and PLAY A BIT OF SODDING FOOTBALL. If Liam wants a long term future here that is what he should EXPECT to be delivering too quite honestly.

The problem is that the way Manning wants football played is the antithesis of exciting and what fans want. He doesn’t want passion or emotion, he wants control. He doesn’t prioritise the strikers or anyone else getting chances, he’s more interested in maintaining possession. It’s boring, dull and also not very effective, especially when we do have the majority of possession. Passes back and forth along our back line are never going to lead to anything other than improving the possession stats.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Almost anyone.

It’s not anyone who has got £100,000,000. 
ask yourself what would we do if Lansdown said **** this I’m off. Who’d cover the £20 or 30 million loss every season?

Edited by aa_bcfc
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

That was bloody terrible. Literally the worse performance of the season. 

Unfortunately all it’s done is give Manning breathing space.

Making that my last visit to the gate this season. Can no longer sit through it and cant celebrate even when they win.

Bet you couldn't wait to post this,your only disappointment is that we won.🤣🤣🤣

• Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

West Brom will come at us, that's for sure. I will more respect for the bloke if he does play on the counter and shows a degree of pragmatism - inflexibility gets you nowhere. It's an exceptionally bad trait for a "leader" to possess. If we play the dirge we have done over four of the last five matches we will get obliterated up there. I don't think he's so daft though when there will be a large contingent packed into the away end.

If he sets up to play counter-attack, then fair enough. 

If the players are forced to adapt to it (because by his own admission he can't really affect anything 'in game'), then that is not anything that he should take credit for. 

Granted, it's not always easy to make the distinction, but I have a more than strong feeling that most of his previous good results have come via the latter.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

The problem is that the way Manning wants football played is the antithesis of exciting and what fans want. He doesn’t want passion or emotion, he wants control. He doesn’t prioritise the strikers or anyone else getting chances, he’s more interested in maintaining possession. It’s boring, dull and also not very effective, especially when we do have the majority of possession. Passes back and forth along our back line are never going to lead to anything other than improving the possession stats.

For me, possession football needs to be FORWARD INTENT. That move today when we sent 60 yards back and there were boos around the ground shows you that what we are doing isn't working. It's ok for Liam to reference the "negative mood around the place" but when that many people are booing it is usually with good reason. Have a think Liam - could you tweak things and do them slightly differently, be a little bit more forward thinking?

Reset, forwards, sideways, sideways, sideways, reset, forwards, forwards, backwards, sideways, reset and 45 minutes without a single shot is actually PISSING PEOPLE OFF.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

It’s not anyone who has got £100,000,000. 
ask yourself what would we do if Lansdown said **** this I’m off. Who’d cover the £20 or 30 million loss every season?

Well, just as we can't make him go, he can't just say "**** this, I'm off" (although mentally I think he already has). He needs a buyer. 

And that buyer... is who.

2 minutes ago, Superjack said:

If he sets up to play counter-attack, then fair enough. 

If the players are forced to adapt to it (because by his own admission he can't really affect anything 'in game'), then that is not anything that he should take credit for. 

Granted, it's not always easy to make the distinction, but I have a more than strong feeling that most of his previous good results have come via the latter.

100% on the money, our best performances and results under Manning have been achieved by playing counter attacking football. As I said elsewhere it's so ironic that it's bloody farcical.

• Like 4
  • Flames 2

1 minute ago, Dr Balls said:

I'm pretty sure that's not an accurate summary of what he wants. 

The passes around the back are often because the defenders aren't being brave enough to play through the lines when the midfielders are showing for the ball. The team definitely has a license to go back to then build forwards again, but too often the players are getting themselves bogged down at the slightest hint of a press from the opposition. Tanner was a prime example of player that just doesn't back himself to pass forwards, and Vyner at times shrinks within himself in possession. You see the midfielders sitting in a pocket frustrated that they're not receiving the ball, and I think that is a golden example of the players struggling with Manning's style. Is it that hard though?!

I actually think our build up play in most games has been fine. It's the headlessness in the final third that we struggle with, such as Cornick today. Did Manning instruct Cornick to overhit all his crosses? Did he tell McCrorie to waste a good opportunity, when he could easily square it for a goal? 

I don't even care that City won. I'm so tired and fed up. I know we somehow won this game but will probably lose the next 3. I know some times we pull of some amazing achievement like Westham in the cup or ending Southampton's run of 23 games, and I then know we are then destine to lose the next few games to teams in the bottom 6. I feel like i have no energy for the BS any longer. I told myself i wasn't even going to check City's scores anymore, however, i haven't managed to get there yet, but i think i will.

I am bored, and tired of this club. following for 25 years its going no where. Bristol City only ever get discussed on the TV or radio in relation to another team. I heard lots about City on the TV and radio when we played Westham in the cup, because people are interested in Westham, I heard lots about City when we played Southampton because people are interested in Southampton, I heard lots about City on talk sport when we put in a good performance against promotion chasing Ipswich, because people are interested in Ipswich.

It would be so nice in my lifetime if Bristol City were talked about on the TV and radio because people were interested in Bristol City.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, mozo said:

I'm pretty sure that's not an accurate summary of what he wants. 

The passes around the back are often because the defenders aren't being brave enough to play through the lines when the midfielders are showing for the ball. The team definitely has a license to go back to then build forwards again, but too often the players are getting themselves bogged down at the slightest hint of a press from the opposition. Tanner was a prime example of player that just doesn't back himself to pass forwards, and Vyner at times shrinks within himself in possession. You see the midfielders sitting in a pocket frustrated that they're not receiving the ball, and I think that is a golden example of the players struggling with Manning's style. Is it that hard though?!

I actually think our build up play in most games has been fine. It's the headlessness in the final third that we struggle with, such as Cornick today. Did Manning instruct Cornick to overhit all his crosses? Did he tell McCrorie to waste a good opportunity, when he could easily square it for a goal? 

I saw something completely opposite to that today. Dickie had the ball and both TGH and Williams were literally hiding. By that, and any of us who have played the game will know what I am talking about, they were ALLOWING THEMSELVES TO BE MARKED without any effort whatsoever to move into a space and at least attempt to show for the ball. Dickie ended up banging the ball up the pitch to the derision of many fans, looked at the pair of them, and just shook his head. That is lack of bravery in action right there.

13 minutes ago, noize said:

I don't even care that City won. I'm so tired and fed up. I know we somehow won this game but will probably lose the next 3. I know some times we pull of some amazing achievement like Westham in the cup or ending Southampton's run of 23 games, and I then know we are then destine to lose the next few games to teams in the bottom 6. I feel like i have no energy for the BS any longer. I told myself i wasn't even going to check City's scores anymore, however, i haven't managed to get there yet, but i think i will.

I am bored, and tired of this club. following for 25 years its going no where. Bristol City only ever get discussed on the TV or radio in relation to another team. I heard lots about City on the TV and radio when we played Westham in the cup, because people are interested in Westham, I heard lots about City when we played Southampton because people are interested in Southampton, I heard lots about City on talk sport when we put in a good performance against promotion chasing Ipswich, because people are interested in Ipswich.

It would be so nice in my lifetime if Bristol City were talked about on the TV and radio because people were interested in Bristol City.

Great post. 

I'm bored and tired of this club because of the owners, but I don't think that my viewpoint and yours are mutually exclusive.

Edit: It's also very, very sad. And when this hierarchy honour 'legends' of the club - real ones, not the likes of Tinnion, they maybe should cast a thought towards what those legends might privately think of the way that the club is currently run.

Edited by Superjack
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, mozo said:

You’re pretty much saying what Liam said post game against Cardiff (paraphrased) where he said “we get them to the goal area then it’s up to them to make the right decisions”

Now, even if you and he are right (and I don’t agree - I think opponents are happy to let us have ball in areas we can’t hurt them as they know we’re not incisive enough to hurt them in areas where it would be a problem), then surely calling out to players “what the coaches have done is fine, it’s you who have the problem” is likely to make them more hesitant/unsure by adding pressure and exaggerate the problem?

• Flames 1

20 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

You think that's how Manning wants to play the game? Seriously? His MK and Oxford sides would suggest he prefers a different style.

7 minutes ago, noize said:

Good job you weren't born in Rochdale!

In all seriousness though, if following City and the match day doesn't bring you peace, then there's no point in wasting valuable time. 

4 hours ago, Fuber said:

I'd agree if I saw evidence of him getting a tune out of more than one player in that squad today.

The only one is Mehmeti for me - Conway, TGH, Pring, have regressed since he's come in. But that's merely my observation and therefore an opinion.

Yeah Pring’s body language today was sad to see. He looked completely tired out and fed up. There’s no passion, no ideas, no spontaneity. 
We know they have more to offer than that, so it must be frustrating for the players too. 

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

You’re pretty much saying what Liam said post game against Cardiff (paraphrased) where he said “we get them to the goal area then it’s up to them to make the right decisions”

Now, even if you and he are right (and I don’t agree - I think opponents are happy to let us have ball in areas we can’t hurt them as they know we’re not incisive enough to hurt them in areas where it would be a problem), then surely calling out to players “what the coaches have done is fine, it’s you who have the problem” is likely to make them more hesitant/unsure by adding pressure and exaggerate the problem?

Fair comment 👍

We had the same problem under Nige though and he also rued our lack of being clinical.

So if two very different managers have the same problem, it says something about the players imo 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, JP Hampton said:

Yeah Pring’s body language today was sad to see. He looked completely tired out and fed up. There’s no passion, no ideas, no spontaneity. 
We know they have more to offer than that, so it must be frustrating for the players too. 

He does look drained at the moment and I think we should give Roberts the run of games that he craves.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

For me, possession football needs to be FORWARD INTENT. That move today when we sent 60 yards back and there were boos around the ground shows you that what we are doing isn't working. It's ok for Liam to reference the "negative mood around the place" but when that many people are booing it is usually with good reason. Have a think Liam - could you tweak things and do them slightly differently, be a little bit more forward thinking?

Reset, forwards, sideways, sideways, sideways, reset, forwards, forwards, backwards, sideways, reset and 45 minutes without a single shot is actually PISSING PEOPLE OFF.

Yes and the most telling thing is booing during the game, that speaks volumes. It says a lot that even when you score, you don’t feel like you’re winning.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

You think that's how Manning wants to play the game? Seriously? His MK and Oxford sides would suggest he prefers a different style.

But that's how we ARE playing the game at the moment!! First 45 minutes, ZERO shots, not even anything blocked.

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

Good job you weren't born in Rochdale!

In all seriousness though, if following City and the match day doesn't bring you peace, then there's no point in wasting valuable time. 

I agree.

(time or money)

Hopefully others are starting to as well.

2 minutes ago, JP Hampton said:

Yes and the most telling thing is booing during the game, that speaks volumes. It says a lot that even when you score, you don’t feel like you’re winning.  

The thing is the next game is a nice one for him. No expectation on a win, plenty of our lot there making a racket and getting behind the lads. Give us a performance even if you can't get a result. Show us what you think you can do!!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Well, just as we can't make him go, he can't just say "**** this, I'm off" (although mentally I think he already has). He needs a buyer. 

And that buyer... is who.

Of course he can. He’s got enough money to just write us off. We’d be knackered then. 

Just now, Numero Uno said:

The thing is the next game is a nice one for him. No expectation on a win, plenty of our lot there making a racket and getting behind the lads. Give us a performance even if you can't get a result. Show us what you think you can do!!

He doesn't know what to do. 🙄

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

I think a defeat will just top up the vitriol tbh. I'd take a point at WBA in a heartbeat 🫣

1 minute ago, aa_bcfc said:

Of course he can. He’s got enough money to just write us off. We’d be knackered then. 

If you think that he is the sort of person that would do that (and even I don't), then why the **** are you even defending him??!!

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

Absolutely.  But the idea a coach wants his side to deliver those kind of outcomes is clearly for the birds... 

No, you don't tell your players to play sideways, backwards etc. and above all else........don't you dare shoot!! I can swallow the "he needed a win in whatever way possible" mantra for today. Now give us a performance next game.

1 minute ago, mozo said:

I think a defeat will just top up the vitriol tbh. I'd take a point at WBA in a heartbeat 🫣

I think it depends how we go about things tbh. For some, yes you are correct. For most, we just want to see SOMETHING from him.......show us what it might look like if you get it right, even if it's a bloody glimpse!!

• Like 1

• Admin
50 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

About 30 years and a majority of them have been much more enjoyable. We aren’t talking about one off games though, it’s the whole package.

You never expect success with City, we know that. But a few hours every other Saturday has never felt as much of a chore as it doesn’t currently.

I'd say of the recent Managers SO'D, Pulis and LJ have been just as bad 

Apart from Cotts we've never had long spells of being entertained 

Short periods under GJ and NP