IGNORED

Don’t be fooled…

15 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

You think that's how Manning wants to play the game? Seriously? His MK and Oxford sides would suggest he prefers a different style.

The relegated MK Dons team from which he was sacked mid-season must have been pretty poor too. Or was that also not how he wanted to play?!

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, phantom said:

I'd say of the recent Managers SO'D, Pulis and LJ have been just as bad 

Apart from Cotts we've never had long spells of being entertained 

Short periods under GJ and NP 

I think that at the very least, even if you assume the GJ first season in the championship was more workmanlike, you’d have to say that GJ in league one and LJ for the first half of 17/18 were entertaining for a reasonably long spell…

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Well, the "we had to win in any way possible" explanation has been put to bed now. We won in whatever way you would call that today!! Job done in that sense. So on that basis his next job is to use a bit of a surge in confidence to churn out a performance to go with it next week. If we lose, we lose but at least compete, look interested, be brave and PLAY A BIT OF SODDING FOOTBALL. If Liam wants a long term future here that is what he should EXPECT to be delivering too quite honestly.

Yes, ideally it would be this as some sort of firdt step..a win and clean sheet to stop the rot- first League clean sheet since Birmingham Away btw, first winning League clean sheet since Sunderland Home all the way back in mid December.

Hopefully, something could grow from there, perhaps a pacy, tactically sound counterttacking game plan at WBA.

Ideally that might be our Plan A and steadily look to improve the possession side over time ie pacy, counter attacking, defensively sound and technically impressive when you have it.

Back to the here and now we have to build on it or try to and set up tactically well next time out.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

I remember when McInnes took over as a bright young manager. He at least had a far better relationship with the fans.

Steadied the ship eventually and kept us up in 2011/12. Absolutely great start to the next season (beat Palace and Cardiff in consecutive games scoring 4 goals - both got promoted that season) after some underwhelming recruitment, but by Christmas it was all going wrong, eventually he was sacked, and we were relegated at the end of the season. 

McInnes was handed a similar scenario to Pearson - cut the wage bill, sell the best players and keep us up. He couldn’t manage it.

There is going to be an absolute exodus of players in the summer (can’t blame them), but I have no confidence in Manning’s tactical awareness or management skills and not much more in Tinnion’s recruitment. Assuming we are in the Championship again next season, with Manning in charge, I see little reason to be positive.

Just on McInnes, perhaps finances made it impossible but I seem to recall during the aforementioned bright start there was a desperate need for an experienced centreback before the Summer window slammed shut.

The goals for a time continued to fly in at both ends but fun games became high scoring defeats and eventually desperate results- some high scoring wins in November, December..but yes an experienced centre back was deemed essential iirc. One never arrived.

Perhaps we had maxed out the feasible budget under the financial rules but that Autumn and early Winter proved a certain fragility in spades.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, JP Hampton said:

Yeah Pring’s body language today was sad to see. He looked completely tired out and fed up. There’s no passion, no ideas, no spontaneity. 
We know they have more to offer than that, so it must be frustrating for the players too. 

Pring has been injured and at Portman Rd struggled particularly against Burns and I was surprised to see him start again today. He looked decent enough for the first half but visibly tired and eventually got replaced by Roberts - Pring isn’t 100% fit imo - Starting with Roberts and then giving Pring a 20-30 mins run out may have been a better option.

4 minutes ago, Superjack said:

If you think that he is the sort of person that would do that (and even I don't), then why the **** are you even defending him??!!

You’re missing the point. 
He is literally the only bloke who is keeping the club afloat. There is no one else waiting in the wings waiting to pay £20 or 30 million every year to write off our debts to keep the club going. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Pring has been injured and at Portman Rd struggled particularly against Burns and I was surprised to see him start again today. He looked decent enough for the first half but visibly tired and eventually got replaced by Roberts - Pring isn’t 100% fit imo - Starting with Roberts and then giving Pring a 20-30 mins run out may have been a better option.

Yeah I agree not fully fit, but there was more than that today in my opinion. Swinging his arms about and just not looking happy.  

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Just on McInnes, perhaps finances made it impossible but I seem to recall during the aforementioned bright start there was a desperate need for an experienced centreback before the Summer window slammed shut.

The goals for a time continued to fly in at both ends but fun games became high scoring defeats and eventually desperate results- some high scoring wins in November, December..but yes an experienced centre back was deemed essential iirc. One never arrived.

Perhaps we had maxed out the feasible budget under the financial rules but that Autumn and early Winter proved a certain fragility in spades.

That’s because he wasted all his money on Sam Baldock & Steven Davies when we already had Jon Stead & Brett Pitman.

Clueless prioritisation of resources yet he then had the nerve to complain he was denied funds.

Another thing was any wages we paid Jody Morris (his abysmal signing) would have been better served by making a donation to charity.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

He is literally the only bloke who is keeping the club afloat. There is no one else waiting in the wings waiting to pay £20 or 30 million every year to write off our debts to keep the club going. 

That wasn't the question you asked.

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

That’s because he wasted all his money on Sam Baldock & Steven Davies when we already had Jon Stead & Brett Pitman.

Clueless prioritisation of resources yet he then had the nerve to complain he was denied funds.

Another thing was any wages we paid Jody Morris (his abysmal signing) would have been better served by making a donation to charity.

Ah yes, forgot about Morris..

Yeah perhaps one of Baldock and Davies, cash towards CB. Depth/competition with Stead and Pitman.

There were some high scoring games under him though...increasingly negatively trending granted.

4-1, 4-2, 3-5, 2-2, 2-3, 4-5, 3-1, 3-2, 4-2.

All within about half a season or so from memory.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DirtySanchez said:

Does anyone think we can compete with the top 6,8 or 10 with wage structure and FFP? 

Yes, we should have a top 10, perhaps even top 8 turnover. Parachute clubs higher, perhaps Sunderland, but beyond this..?

Now wage structure and willing to spend as much as we can or should without putting us at risks that ie a different issue. While since I've looked in depth but top 8 turnover IMO.

3 hours ago, handsofclay said:

I was very relieved we got the win today. That was the most important thing. But it's so obvious things aren't working with the new manager and are unlikely to do so and that win most probably secures LM the post for next season. That is very worrying on what we have seen so far.

I recall under Holden we took a quick two nil lead v Huddersfield and were then battered for the remainder of the game. How we came out 2-1 winners instead of losing 2-6 was baffling.

Fortunately, lots of posters on here pointed out how fortunate we were and articulated their concerns, despite some flak from those who rejoiced at the win and thought that was all that mattered. We soon entered the losing streak that cost Holden his job, but it was so evident in that win. The same applies today, unfortunately.

I fear Manning will be given funds to bring in his type of player in the summer and we will become like Swansea were today. Lots of possession, but precious few chances created that aren't executed and the fans at home especially will be bored senseless. 

If you are reading this I hope you do succeed, Mr Manning. I would love nothing more than to be proved wrong. But presently I have little confidence in that happening.

IIRC Fam scored twice, and sauntered around the rest of the game / and his time at City.  Can’t remember the name of the big left footed CB they had, but Fam let him stroll into our half all game.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

But without Jody, who was going to organise the players Xmas party??

• Haha 1

Thanks for some supportive posts (this thread and the other one) folks….you don’t need to though.  I stand behind all my posts (apart from fish and bread puns), and I come on here rain and shine to chat footie.  Some don’t, that says it all.

up the reds.

• Like 9
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

You think that's how Manning wants to play the game? Seriously? His MK and Oxford sides would suggest he prefers a different style.

Today was what he needed to do, strong defensive shape limit the opposition to very little. Going back to basics, lots of managers do this when they come in, Mannign obviously feels like he needed to do the same after the bad run. Once he gets some of his own players in I’m hopeful we will see a different Brand.

1 hour ago, aa_bcfc said:

It’s not anyone who has got £100,000,000. 
ask yourself what would we do if Lansdown said **** this I’m off. Who’d cover the £20 or 30 million loss every season?

If he set a realistic price based on what it’s worth, rather than what he’s spent (much of which has been wasted spend) then he can concentrate on Le Mare in Guernsey…and a buyer will come forward.  The price was the problem, not interest.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

I'm pretty sure that's not an accurate summary of what he wants. 

The passes around the back are often because the defenders aren't being brave enough to play through the lines when the midfielders are showing for the ball. The team definitely has a license to go back to then build forwards again, but too often the players are getting themselves bogged down at the slightest hint of a press from the opposition. Tanner was a prime example of player that just doesn't back himself to pass forwards, and Vyner at times shrinks within himself in possession. You see the midfielders sitting in a pocket frustrated that they're not receiving the ball, and I think that is a golden example of the players struggling with Manning's style. Is it that hard though?!

I actually think our build up play in most games has been fine. It's the headlessness in the final third that we struggle with, such as Cornick today. Did Manning instruct Cornick to overhit all his crosses? Did he tell McCrorie to waste a good opportunity, when he could easily square it for a goal? 

My massive over-generalisation (facetious too) is that his patterns are obvious, and easily countered…you can see them on Coaches Voice!  There is nothing innovative about them. But…see next response too.

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

I saw something completely opposite to that today. Dickie had the ball and both TGH and Williams were literally hiding. By that, and any of us who have played the game will know what I am talking about, they were ALLOWING THEMSELVES TO BE MARKED without any effort whatsoever to move into a space and at least attempt to show for the ball. Dickie ended up banging the ball up the pitch to the derision of many fans, looked at the pair of them, and just shook his head. That is lack of bravery in action right there.

Today I felt TGH did, Joe tried. 

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

MKD were boring to an extent too, they just had good players (better than their opponents) that allowed them to do well.  That’s probably harsh, but I didn’t find them fun to watch.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

I think a defeat will just top up the vitriol tbh. I'd take a point at WBA in a heartbeat 🫣

There doesn’t need to be vitriol though.  Nor does a defeat have to lead to it, in the same way a win doesn’t mean we’ve all got to be happy.

59 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

Why are those losses so great do you think?? Do millwall or Preston lose that much each  season?? The losses are so great because the lansdowns make largely rubbish appointments on non playing staff who run the first team and recruitment.

On recruitment we don’t get good bang for our buck from the players we sign.

• Like 1

Sorry if it’s been said elsewhere…if it was on the players and Pat the other night when we conceded from a free kick…

Presume it’s credit to Pat that we won today? Given it was his short corner routine that was calmly executed by the players?

Thank you for the 3 points Pat Mountain! 

:whistle:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tim Monaghan said:

Because that’s my opinion. He needs a summer to bring in some of his own players etc. He’s trying to build something. I don’t expect you to agree with me and that’s fine. 

I wouldn’t trust Manning with my son’s pocket money. He’s out of his depth, his ability to react in game to the situation is embarrassing. I would love him to succeed but I have this feeling that we’ve traded in an aging temperamental Range Rover Sport for a mini metro which has three gears. 

IMO the summer is irrelevant. A good manager will adapt thinking and approach based on what players he has available. This is a good set of pros. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

18 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Sorry if it’s been said elsewhere…if it was on the players and Pat the other night when we conceded from a free kick…

Presume it’s credit to Pat that we won today? Given it was his short corner routine that was calmly executed by the players?

Thank you for the 3 points Pat Mountain! 

:whistle:

I can’t affect what we do in game, but Pat can! 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

That was bloody terrible. Literally the worse performance of the season. 

Unfortunately all it’s done is give Manning breathing space.

Making that my last visit to the gate this season. Can no longer sit through it and cant celebrate even when they win.

Goodbye then, come back if we do well. Or whenever you feel like it

1 hour ago, aa_bcfc said:

He is literally the only bloke who is keeping the club afloat. There is no one else waiting in the wings waiting to pay £20 or 30 million every year to write off his debts to keep the club going. 

Fixed!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

I saw something completely opposite to that today. Dickie had the ball and both TGH and Williams were literally hiding. By that, and any of us who have played the game will know what I am talking about, they were ALLOWING THEMSELVES TO BE MARKED without any effort whatsoever to move into a space and at least attempt to show for the ball. Dickie ended up banging the ball up the pitch to the derision of many fans, looked at the pair of them, and just shook his head. That is lack of bravery in action right there.

This has been noticeable the last 2 home games. Very little or no movement when we’ve got the ball at the back which results in the usual sideways and back stuff or as you say a hopeful boot upfield. Totally crap to watch 

4 hours ago, Superjack said:

That is not really guessing. 

It's a fact that we will see.

I think that you will see that you are wrong. 

But we will see.

And that’s the issue with most people on here, it’s almost as if it’s not about Bristol City anymore, it’s about being right and wrong. 

The drama of the “I told you so”. 

Frankly, I couldn’t give two hoots about being right or wrong. Honestly couldn’t care less. 

Just now, Tim Monaghan said:

And that’s the issue with most people on here, it’s almost as if it’s not about Bristol City anymore, it’s about being right and wrong. 

The drama of the “I told you so”. 

Frankly, I couldn’t give two hoots about being right or wrong. Honestly couldn’t care less. 

And yet you posted! 😂 

You couldn’t make this up!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

And yet you posted! 😂 

You couldn’t make this up!

Well observed. Sticky gold star heading its way to young OXO cube. I don’t think you really understood ironic twist though, so C+. 

Anyway, are you okay? Did you enjoy the game? Good 3 points wasn’t it. Let’s have a chat about football instead of little passive aggressive digs and cute little emoji wars behind our little fake names and avatars, its becoming a little tiring. 🥱 (little emoji for you there, as I can see you like to also send visual guides to illustrate your words). 

‘Tim’