IGNORED

West Bromwich Albion away match thread

I thought we did a really good job for mist of that half. Totally nullified WBA, played the ball forwards, at times pressed high.

It was almost a perfect away performance, and then a bad ball from Knight starts a chain of events containing several errors.

I thing Manning got the tactics right, and the players almost did their jobs well.

• Like 2

Apart from the goal we've looked OK at the back but I have to say our midfield is all over the place today. They're walking through us when they come forward and it's only the back line and mostly Vyner who have held them at arms length.

We're not pressing them anywhere in the middle.

We have little quality so have to slow games down to a boring pace in order to compete, not worth playing this way if you don't get a result. Yeah we've been okay but my god this is dull to watch and now we are one nil down. Have to be more clinical when the chances come if we are going to sit back, Tommy should be embarrassed not finishing that.

Mikey Johnston having a field day on the left wing and Fellows who is equally as dangerous shows his quality for the goal although I think Roberts done well against him before the goal. Must be nice to have wingers who can go past their man both ways and have end product to go with it. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Unan said:

Did you for one second in that half think "we might have half a chance of scoring a goal?". You could argue the, complete fluke clearance, to Tommy was a chance like that, I can't think of anything else.

No, what I am saying is that it’s better, I’m not expecting miracles but I want to see a committed performance which is more than recent weeks and to be fair we haven’t played bad. However much I want a change I won’t slate the lads unnecessarily 

• Like 1
Just now, Benneythered said:

We have little quality so have to slow games down to a boring pace in order to compete, not worth playing this way if you don't get a result. Yeah we've been okay but my god this is dull to watch and now we are one nil down. Have to be more clinical when the chances come if we are going to sit back, Tommy should be embarrassed not finishing that.

That's just common sense though away from home. Take the rhythm away from the home side and quiet down the crowd. And actually we went forward a lot.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Benneythered said:

Tommy isn’t as good as people think. Misses a lot of good chances. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Formation was kept, tackling was hard, helping teammates good, just one lapse and all the good is cancelled out. Personally think Conway should have done better with his chance

Hey Ho on to tighter and more penetrative playin second 45.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Unan said:

Enough to score 

Which does not mean that we played badly in that half. Neither team excelled, we did well to contain when needed and had good possession up top, but lack movement for killer passes. Happy, no, but balance of interpretation required. Far from shit show predicted by some. Will WBA go for it and up pace now? Yes. Can we live with it and do something different? Manning's history says no but we shall see.

• Like 1

Thought we played ok first half in patches...Furlong started to drift infield and that caused us a few problems, especially with Mowatt or Yokuslu dropping back into the back-4 to make it 3v2 versus TC and JK.

Poor decision from JK for their goal, hard pass with his left foot swinger, just drive forward.  Mehmeti good half, Sykes too.

Tough second half coming up.

King won't last more than 10 minutes or so.

• Like 1

Until the goal it was sort of a 6/10 on the effectiveness scale, about a 3/10 on the entertainment one. Little harsh to be going in behind perhaps but we also didn't look much like scoring - Conway's slightly fortuitous chance aside.

Hopefully a bit of a change and some not back foot (I can't bring myself to say it properly...) football in the second half.

• Like 1