IGNORED

West Bromwich Albion away match thread

The International break after this.

Back at our place in September it finished goalless, in a game of two halves!  We won the first half. They won the second half and a draw was probably the right outcome. Both teams hit the woodwork and Vyner and Naismith made crucial last-minute challenges: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/home-top-featured/highlights-bristol-city-0-0-west-brom/

Andi Weimann joined them on loan in January, as did Northern Ireland striker Callum Marshall from West Ham United.

In February they signed former Sunderland and Inter Milan midfielder Yann M'Vila on a short-term deal.  The 33-year-old France international was a free agent after leaving Greek Superleague side Olympiacos in July, https://www.wba.co.uk/news/albion-sign-experienced-midfielder-yann-mvila-short-term-deal

More significantly and arguably the best transfer business done by the Baggies was the acquisition of Mikey Johnstone on loan from Celtic. Johnstone has scored six goals in his first nine games for the Baggies – most of them spectacular! Mikey Johnston: Celtic winger relishing West Bromwich Albion promotion challenge - BBC Sport

The Baggies are also celebrating new ownership after a tumultuous number of years in Chinese ownership, with the acquisition in February by American businessman Shilen Patel, who became their chairman after a deal to purchase an 87.8% stake was agreed. The takeover by Bilkul Football WBA, owned by Florida-based Patel and his father Kiran Patel, was approved by the English Football League, https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/meeting-shilen-patel-new-west-28779411

Last season they just missed out on a playoff place, finishing 9th on 66 points, goals from Wells and Williams secured all three points for us when we last played at the Hawthorns, https://youtu.be/Y1E4mjbM9fA

It will be a tough ask playing at the Hawthorns with West Brom boasting one of the best home records in the league and also one of the highest number of clean sheets with the young Palmer in goal proving difficult to beat alongside the giant defensive pairing of Cedric Kipre and Kyle Bartley.

Our allocation of 2,009 tickets have all sold and they are expecting a full house.

Their match review: https://www.wba.co.uk/news/matchday-38-albion-v-bristol-city-preview

LM’s presser (health warning, the usual, ‘yeah, no, to be fair’ cliches, are all delivered in a robotic, vanilla, sterile, uninspiring, personality-void manner): https://www.bcfc.co.uk/video/interviews/maning-on-baggies-trip/

Scott Twine is expected to be in the squad, George Tanner perhaps too.

Head-to-head record

Won: 17

Lost: 24

Drawn:17

They are 6th in the form table with 3 wins, 2 draws and a defeat in the last six games last Sunday they won 4-1 away at Huddersfield, while we are 19th in the form table with 2 wins and 4 defeats. They are looking good for the play offs with 63 points at present.

Officials

Referee: Tom Nield

Assistants: Matthew Smith and Blake Antrobus

Fourth official: Adam Herczeg

The Hawthorns is the highest ground above sea level at an altitude of 551 feet (168 m).

Those who have worn both shirts include Bob Taylor, Chris Brunt, Taylor Gardner-Hickman and Andi Weimann.

Here’s TG-H pre-match: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/video/interviews/gardner-hickmans-previews-hawthorns-return/

Pubs and pies

Good Pub Guide link: https://thegoodpubguide.co.uk/?s=&gpg=West bromwich

The Royal Oak,171 Holyhead Road, Birmingham, B21 0BD, https://www.theroyaloakbham.co.uk

The Vine, 152 Roebuck Street, West Bromwich, B70 6RD, https://www.thevine.co.uk their food is particularly recommended

Park Inn by Radisson, Birmingham Road, West Bromwich, B70 6RS

The Cook House and pub, Congregation Way, West Bromwich B70 7PU, https://www.cookhouseandpub.co.uk/en-gb/locations/west-bromwich?cid=GLBC_40537840 about a five minute drive from the ground

Back in 2017 West Brom boasted the Premier League’s finest match-day pie experience. 

Try one of these for a good pie:

Robinson's Bakery, 117 Hill Top, West Bromwich B70 0RU, https://robinsonsbakery.com

Greggs, Birmingham Rd, West Bromwich B71 4JZ, https://www.greggs.co.uk/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=local

Poundbakery, 196 High St, Sandwell Centre, West Bromwich B70 7QS, https://www.poundbakery.co.uk

Hawthorns guide: https://footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/premier-league/the-hawthorns-west-bromwich-albion.html

Baggies banter

• There are various explanations for why they are called the Baggies. One theory is that, after settling at The Hawthorns in 1900, their stadium initially only had two entrances – one behind each goal – so gatekeepers would collect spectators' money in large bags. The crowd would shout 'here comes the bag man', which later spawned the 'Baggies title'. Another suggestion is that the name was bestowed on Albion supporters by their rivals at Aston Villa, because of the large baggy trousers that many Albion fans wore at work to protect themselves from molten iron in the factories and foundries of the Black Country. Other possible explanations include that supporters took large bags round to pubs to help save the club from extinction in 1905, and that the club almost going bankrupt at this time saw many of their large players replaced by smaller players, who made the same kits look far more baggy in their skins than in the predecessors!
  • The highest number of points that West Brom have garnered during a single season is 91, a total which they achieved in 2009 under the guidance of Tony Mowbray. Remarkably, this haul was only good enough for second in the Championship as Newcastle United stormed to the title.
  • Their total of five FA Cup triumphs is only bettered by nine teams in English football. The Baggies most recent title in the world’s oldest cup competition occurred in 1968 as Jeff Astle scored the winning goal at Wembley Stadium against Everton.
  • Albion boast a significant number of famous fans among their ranks of supporters including: Adrian Chiles, Frank Skinner, Lenny Henry and Liam Payne of One Direction. Continuing the music theme, rock legend Eric Clapton sported an Albion scarf on the cover of his album 'Backless' to show his love for the club. Clapton also sponsored Albion's UEFA Cup tie against Galatasaray in 1978.
  • The most goals West Brom have scored in a season is 105 (in the 1929/30 season.)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

I think this is actually a really interesting game, far more than it should be given our position as mid table side with the threat of being dragged into a relegation battle now eased.

I'm not sold on the narrative that we're actually really good against the better teams in the league, but this match should go someway to showing that a bit clearer one way or the other

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Roe said:

I think this is actually a really interesting game, far more than it should be given our position as mid table side with the threat of being dragged into a relegation battle now eased.

I'm not sold on the narrative that we're actually really good against the better teams in the league, but this match should go someway to showing that a bit clearer one way or the other

Image.thumb.jpeg.82c2cda3e658e92d027ea634823d8a8c.jpeg

Interesting indeed.

They have a better attack than us, a better defence than us, they keep it better than us, but they don’t press as well as us.  They are what I’d call a “tactical” side.  Corberan a master at getting his system to be effective.  They aren’t wonderful on the eye, but they work openings, and at the other end are very well organised.

• Like 1

With the Baggies being the home team they’re very likely to be on the front foot from the ko - that will hopefully enable City to play on the counter and if that happens you never know……..:dunno:

I’m sure that we’d all delighted if City could nick all three points. The result is not a forgone conclusion by any means.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Think from the press conference Sykes is nailed on to replace Cornick & probable that Roberts starts instead of Pring.

Tough game, Corberan is right up there in the division with getting the most out of what he has available to him & last season aside, our record there is dire.

Would like to be optimistic & think we could steal a point but can’t see it.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, The Coach said:

Normally you hate the international break as you miss club football.

I’m actually relieved we get a break from City and Manning’s confidence boosting speeches.

Ha, was saying exactly the same to Silvio yesterday.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Robbored said:

With the Baggies being the home team they’re very likely to be on the front foot from the ko - that will hopefully enable City to play on the counter and if that happens you never know……..:dunno:

I’m sure that we’d all delighted if City could nick all three points. The result is not a forgone conclusion by any means.

Any chance you could let someone at the club know?

• Haha 2
24 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Think from the press conference Sykes is nailed on to replace Cornick & probable that Roberts starts instead of Pring.

Tough game, Corberan is right up there in the division with getting the most out of what he has available to him & last season aside, our record there is dire.

Would like to be optimistic & think we could steal a point but can’t see it.

Absolutely correct. Liam's team is much easier to predict than his 2 (3) predecessors which is good for pre-match chat but probably easier for the oppo coach to read as well. One good thing about Pearson's selections were the oppo had no idea who would play nor in what position; i doubt our players did either and during our most enterprising season under him (21/22) when the 3 three forwards he inherited (W-S-M) scored all those goals, he left his legacy of "we cant defend to save yer life", conceding 77 goals despite some expensive players like Bents and Kalas being available

As Graham says, i'm glad to be at the game but cant see us getting anything

• Confused 1
28 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Any chance you could let someone at the club know?

Unfortunately the person responsible has now left the building. Quick starts were the norm earlier in the season. 

A few early chances/goals, get the crowd up from the start.

Not rocket science is it ?

I wish I knew what to expect , from us ! 

I watched WBA Vs QPR and they were lucky . Saw them early in the season and I wasn't impressed , but they have definitely seem  better to watch lately . 

If we can play like we did Vs Ipswich , I'd say we could get something. I worry we will go and try and stay in the game for an hour and bore everyone to death . Difference is they carry much more threat than Swansea, so I think it would be dangerous to just try and spoil the game .  If we press and chase I think we can get at them , sit back and I see only one thing.

14 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Perhaps it is because  I am not the target audience  but frankly I haven't a clue what all this means.

It may as well be written in Greek for all the sense it makes to me

It is in Greek!

I translated / summarised it below the pic, for the non-Greek readers! 😉

They have a better attack than us, a better defence than us, they keep it better than us, but they don’t press as well as us.  They are what I’d call a “tactical” side.  Corberan a master at getting his system to be effective.  They aren’t wonderful on the eye, but they work openings, and at the other end are very well organised.

If you are interested, each little blob on each row represents one of the 24 champ teams.  They are coloured as per their kits, but when you highlight one the rest go opaque.  West Brom (left / home) blue, City (right / away) red.

The further each little blob is to the right the “better” they are…certainly in the attack and defence rows.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Cole Not Gas said:

Absolutely correct. Liam's team is much easier to predict than his 2 (3) predecessors which is good for pre-match chat but probably easier for the oppo coach to read as well. One good thing about Pearson's selections were the oppo had no idea who would play nor in what position; i doubt our players did either and during our most enterprising season under him (21/22) when the 3 three forwards he inherited (W-S-M) scored all those goals, he left his legacy of "we cant defend to save yer life", conceding 77 goals despite some expensive players like Bents and Kalas being available

As Graham says, i'm glad to be at the game but cant see us getting anything

Come on, be honest, troll or moron?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Flames 1

These are basic therefore only go so far.

Screenshot_20240315-134520_Chrome.thumb.jpg.12072510da0d4cd02b35cba4a16b27d2.jpg

Clearly rather clinical although Preston are well, well outperforming! Like us bottom 3rd to bottom 10 for shots. Again these are my relatively basic stats from FBREB...

...Like us though, sound defensively. While both of us bottom 3rd to bottom 10 for Shots for, the inverse is true for Shots Against.

Screenshot_20240315-134602_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7e68ea2c7c24cc962a0c949405363ab8.jpg

Are they outperforming? Possibly so. Albeit they have some very decent individuals and a talented manager.

How Stoke are struggling so badly given their underlying numbers okay taken as a whole..hmm.

Us? We are as midtable as you can get. At least on some basicish stats.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Corberan a master at getting his system to be effective

I've been a big fan of his since his Huddersfield days. I remember Nigel being very complimentary about him also.

If I could take one coach from another club to take over here it would be him. No chance of course. 😞

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

I wonder if he'll risk starting Twine or just give him 30 minutes in the second half?

I don’t think he’ll risk playing him personally. We have the international break so it gives him extra recovery. It’s going to be so important he’s fit for out last few games where we have nothing to play for as we strive for mid table obscurity. 🤣 Really can’t understand why we’ve loaned him. The talk is we are unlikely to be able to sign him so not sure what the sense was.

• Confused 1

Got a good feeling about today.

Stung by criticism of playing styles, the January transfer window (again) and performance, the Club will ‘unleash the beast’ today and start Twine, that bloke from Belgium, Anis and Harry, launching a blitzkrieg on the West Brom defence.

4-1 City, with ‘West Brom’ becoming the new ‘Southampton’ in Club speak.

Go Reds.

• Haha 2
  • Hmmm 1
  • Robin 2
  • Facepalm 1
29 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Got a good feeling about today.

Stung by criticism of playing styles, the January transfer window (again) and performance, the Club will ‘unleash the beast’ today and start Twine, that bloke from Belgium, Anis and Harry, launching a blitzkrieg on the West Brom defence.

4-1 City, with ‘West Brom’ becoming the new ‘Southampton’ in Club speak.

Go Reds.

Thing is, you can’t rule it out. There’s been some excellent results amongst the utter dross.  

Fingers crossed for today. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 2