IGNORED

Manning speak

Jerseybean

Having suffered years of failing to understand lots of what LJ said I’m now trying to come to terms with Manning speak.

Here’s my best effort at an interpretation / translation of recent LM comments.

LM I’m not on social media, so I genuinely don’t hear it but I’m not stupid, I get the industry, I signed up for it, right?” Manning said. “Unfortunately with football it’s changed where three/four games and it’s where the world is at, short-term and everything straight away.”

= Football is a results based business. Our poor recent results, understandably, are a cause for concern to everybody. I have now presided over 26 games as Head Coach of Bristol City and everybody including the fans rightly expect that our results and performances should have been better and there should be more evidence of progress.

LM "For me, of course I want to win. It hurts me. I don’t want to go home having losses but I don’t see the point of wasting energy getting down about it. I’ve had to scrap, I’ve had to fight, I’ve had to graft to get where I’m at and they’re the behaviours: treat people properly, that doesn’t change, come in, drive a standard every day, deliver the work we deliver.”

= Umm….I don’t like losing and whatever happens I will keep doing the same things, I believe it’s important to treat people properly. Genuinely hard to know what ‘they’re the behaviours’ ‘drive a standard every day’ and ‘deliver the work we deliver’ actually mean.

LM “I’m fortunate in that I’ve got a lot of good people around me, the staff have been great: Hoggy’s been terrific, Krausey, Brian, Pat, Ciss (Khalifa Cisse) - there are loads of good people who see the good work that’s happening every day and that’s the only way that you change it.”

= I work with good staff, things change when you constantly and consistently do good work.

LM “Am I emotionally fully all in? You only have to ask the people around here with the way we work and the hours we put in. My energy has to go into the players, they’re the most important people.”

= I can’t answer that question, please ask others. If it’s about hard work and long hours then we are OK.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 4

35 minutes ago, spudski said:

And this is why he's out of touch.

How deluded and self important is he. 

If fans are having to interpret what he's trying to say, then it's borderline narcissistic. 

Fans don't need coaching terminology. We get it...but just speak in layman's terms. 

The bloke is an AI robot. 

I don't believe half the things he says. He says he's not on social media...but he'll know exactly what's being said. 

He also says he doesn't look at the table...yet knows exactly where other teams are in the league. Full of BS. 

Can't stand the bloke. 

He represents everything I hate about football. 

Bullshit bingo in spades. 

I honestly think he’s taking the p iss now 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spudski said:

And this is why he's out of touch.

How deluded and self important is he. 

If fans are having to interpret what he's trying to say, then it's borderline narcissistic. 

Fans don't need coaching terminology. We get it...but just speak in layman's terms. 

The bloke is an AI robot. 

I don't believe half the things he says. He says he's not on social media...but he'll know exactly what's being said. 

He also says he doesn't look at the table...yet knows exactly where other teams are in the league. Full of BS. 

Can't stand the bloke. 

He represents everything I hate about football. 

Bullshit bingo in spades. 

Spudski - you could also be referring to LJ. He and Manning are very similar in their communications, both narcissists and talking largely hot air and waffle in a subconscious attempt to show how bright they are.

What is it with managers like LJ and Manning that the Lansdowns find so attractive?

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Spudski - you could also be referring to LJ. He and Manning are very similar in their communications, both narcissists and talking largely hot air and waffle in a subconscious attempt to show how bright they are.

What is it with managers like LJ and Manning that the Lancdowns find so attractive?

Here we go

Edited by RedLionLad
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Robbored said:

What is it with managers like LJ and Manning that the Lansdowns find so attractive?

When it comes to football they like managers who speak their language….complete nonsense! Straight talking guys like Cotterill and Pearson who tell it how it is and don’t suck up to the hierarchy don’t last long! 

• Like 9
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

A key attribute for a leader/coach is excellent communication skills.

Thats the winner for me :thumbsup:.

I've seen a few coaches in different sports that weren't the most gifted athletes/players but excelled in communicating with the group & they got respect & results. Here in Oz many small country clubs use parents of players to fill the coaching rolls, which isn't always the best route to improving young players but when you get a mixture of a bit of knowledge & exceptional people skills then the results seem to happen. I guess it's important having a happy playing group as a foundation to any sport.

With LM only time will tell but do we have time, COYR's.

1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

Having suffered years of failing to understand lots of what LJ said I’m now trying to come to terms with Manning speak.

Here’s my best effort at an interpretation / translation of recent LM comments.

LM I’m not on social media, so I genuinely don’t hear it but I’m not stupid, I get the industry, I signed up for it, right?” Manning said. “Unfortunately with football it’s changed where three/four games and it’s where the world is at, short-term and everything straight away.”

= Football is a results based business. Our poor recent results, understandably, are a cause for concern to everybody. I have now presided over 26 games as Head Coach of Bristol City and everybody including the fans rightly expect that our results and performances should have been better and there should be more evidence of progress.

LM "For me, of course I want to win. It hurts me. I don’t want to go home having losses but I don’t see the point of wasting energy getting down about it. I’ve had to scrap, I’ve had to fight, I’ve had to graft to get where I’m at and they’re the behaviours: treat people properly, that doesn’t change, come in, drive a standard every day, deliver the work we deliver.”

= Umm….I don’t like losing and whatever happens I will keep doing the same things, I believe it’s important to treat people properly. Genuinely hard to know what ‘they’re the behaviours’ ‘drive a standard every day’ and ‘deliver the work we deliver’ actually mean.

LM “I’m fortunate in that I’ve got a lot of good people around me, the staff have been great: Hoggy’s been terrific, Krausey, Brian, Pat, Ciss (Khalifa Cisse) - there are loads of good people who see the good work that’s happening every day and that’s the only way that you change it.”

= I work with good staff, things change when you constantly and consistently do good work.

LM “Am I emotionally fully all in? You only have to ask the people around here with the way we work and the hours we put in. My energy has to go into the players, they’re the most important people.”

= I can’t answer that question, please ask others. If it’s about hard work and long hours then we are OK.

wow you have time to digest what our esteemed leader has to say then take it aart.

I guess i didnt see you commenting on what Pearson said post match, even though he could talk for hours, all he ever said was "yeah, it's really frustrating..blah blah - i dont know how we will stop giving away goals when we should have made better decision"; If you could ever bear to listen to the clown for 30 months, you would know exactly what i mean. At least now, Liam talks footballing lingo albeit too frequently interspersed with "yeah, in terms of" (which actually says nothing!)

All coaches have to speak to the fans for x mins per week which is a great shame. Alan Dicks would give a 5 min preview of the upcoming game and a 3 line quote, if we were lucky, after the match and that was when there really was a lot to talk about in the top division

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 5

I don't see a massive difference between LM and the nonsense most managers speak particularly when the results have not been good, the only difference is he has replaced a popular manager who was excellent at interviews, and many particularly on here have the knives our ready to over analyse and critique any thing he says in minute detail

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, BS3 Ark at Ee said:

When it comes to football they like managers who speak their language….complete nonsense! Straight talking guys like Cotterill and Pearson who tell it how it is and don’t suck up to the hierarchy don’t last long! 

Although they do tend to be more successful 

14 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

I don't see a massive difference between LM and the nonsense most managers speak particularly when the results have not been good, the only difference is he has replaced a popular manager who was excellent at interviews, and many particularly on here have the knives our ready to over analyse and critique any thing he says in minute detail

Spot on and the blame must land at the so called City legend Tinnion,at least we knew where we stood with Pearson,does anyone believe a word that comes out of our manager or the people above him anymore if they did before 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, JammyOne said:

I don't really know what people expect him to say... Maybe it's just better for everyone if LM doesn't do interviews until he gets us back to a respectable form or when he's relieved from the job.

If only, it's painful to listen.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1