IGNORED

Manning speak

Jerseybean

3 minutes ago, JammyOne said:

I don't really know what people expect him to say... Maybe it's just better for everyone if LM doesn't do interviews until he gets us back to a respectable form or when he's relieved from the job.

The sad thing is we have to give him till next season because no manager worth his salt will work underneath those muppets 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

38 minutes ago, Cole Not Gas said:

wow you have time to digest what our esteemed leader has to say then take it aart.

I guess i didnt see you commenting on what Pearson said post match, even though he could talk for hours, all he ever said was "yeah, it's really frustrating..blah blah - i dont know how we will stop giving away goals when we should have made better decision"; If you could ever bear to listen to the clown for 30 months, you would know exactly what i mean. At least now, Liam talks footballing lingo albeit too frequently interspersed with "yeah, in terms of" (which actually says nothing!)

All coaches have to speak to the fans for x mins per week which is a great shame. Alan Dicks would give a 5 min preview of the upcoming game and a 3 line quote, if we were lucky, after the match and that was when there really was a lot to talk about in the top division

You really are making yourself look the 'clown'.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just cut the “management speak” BS and try some plain English?

I have yet to find anyone on the receiving end of “management speak” who has really appreciated it, and I doubt footballers are much different. Certainly football fans don’t like it but unfortunately it would seem our owners are keener on someone who appears to have swallowed one of those management self help books!

• Like 3

LM is someone who is trying to apply the science of football management. 

Someone like Warnock knows the art of football management 

You probably need a bit of both, but the art comes first as sport is ultimately a human activity. Otherwise you bore the hell out of people.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@spudski I think I’ve gone from thinking he’s really bright and is able to answer any question thrown at him…to…actually he’s just re-using a set of stock answers.  I’m not sure in some cases he is actually answering the question.  

I know right, most of his interviews are literally copy and paste.

I listened to an old interview cots did way back when we beat Swindon at Ashton Gate 3-0. It was so refreshing to hear, a Manager speaking passionately about our performance. Even Steve Lansdown chipped in with some good words. I miss his those days. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Cole Not Gas said:

wow you have time to digest what our esteemed leader has to say then take it aart.

I guess i didnt see you commenting on what Pearson said post match, even though he could talk for hours, all he ever said was "yeah, it's really frustrating..blah blah - i dont know how we will stop giving away goals when we should have made better decision"; If you could ever bear to listen to the clown for 30 months, you would know exactly what i mean. 

Have to agree with this. Although I think that I probably overly bought into the plain speaking bit, I don't actually remember hearing too much footballing insight in NPs interviews, especially post-match. Having said that, they can say whatever they want, if what they're doing doesn't translate into better performances it's all pretty pointless anyway. 

1 hour ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Spot on and the blame must land at the so called City legend Tinnion,at least we knew where we stood with Pearson,does anyone believe a word that comes out of our manager or the people above him anymore if they did before 

you cant can you? for starters,you dont even know if its his own thoughts or what his instructed narrative is from whoever above him, add to that we know those above lie so its anybodies guess if anything is how it really is anymore

I'm just saying this as my opinion, an unaldultered 'what I reckon', but when you spout jargon to the wrong audience it just makes you look like you're trying to hide something, or aren't entirely convinced that people are going to accept what you want to say.

Communication is a two way thing. You say something, if the person you're talking to doesn't understand what you're saying, you're not communicating.

• Flames 1

I thought I had found the solution to this outpouring from Manning.

I simply put it through Google translate.

However, what I got back was . . .

”Verbal diarrhoea and gobbledygook cannot be translated to make any meaningful sense. Please refrain from overloading our systems and servers with such impossible tasks, as we will seek to recover costs for any damage caused”.

Furthermore, no-one at Bristol City FC was able to assist me. The only response I got was “no-one is Manning the Fart”

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Graham76 said:

Thanks for posting, Happy memories. I think was sat in mine with it broadly not far from dugouts. Cotts very intense, focused- but you could tell he was a leader.

17 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

I know who would get me fired up out of him and Manning if I was a player 

Can inspire the supoorters too.

Only 3 managers we've had in the SL era who can perhaps whip up the crowd, foster the correct atmosphere, siege mentality if needed.

GJ, Cotts and NP. That's probably about it really.

• Like 6

This might be an unpopular opinion but I’d much rather listen to Lee Johnson than Liam Manning.

He came out with some absolutely mental stuff and became almost a parody of himself by the end, but I never felt he wasn’t honest.

Liam Manning has been here months and I’ve still absolutely no idea what he really thinks about basically anything. It’s just a series of sterile, meaningless stock phrases and media-trained nonsense.

Even Keith Millen and Dean Holden were preferable.

That said, I do think it’s made worse/harder for Liam that he’s followed Nigel Pearson, who really is the polar opposite and not your typical football manager.

• Like 12

8 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Spot on and the blame must land at the so called City legend Tinnion,at least we knew where we stood with Pearson,does anyone believe a word that comes out of our manager or the people above him anymore if they did before 

The blame must land with the owner, and thats not tinnion. Theres been 20 odd years of mistakes crap appointments and missed opportunities. Do you really think the decision to sack pearson would have been any different if tinnion was still working with the academy and a different ceo/ technical director was in place? 

Edited by Simon bristol

24 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

The blame must land with the owner, and thats not tinnion. Theres been 20 odd years of mistakes crap appointments and missed opportunities. Do you really think the decision to sack pearson would have been any different if tinnion was still working with the academy and a different ceo/ technical director was in place? 

I don’t know. Would said different CEO/Technical Director also have a history of knifing others in the back to get jobs outside of their ability level?

If so, I agree the outcome wouldn’t have been different 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

@spudski I think I’ve gone from thinking he’s really bright and is able to answer any question thrown at him…to…actually he’s just re-using a set of stock answers.  I’m not sure in some cases he is actually answering the question.  

I've said this before Dave. It's just words taken from coaching manuals, put into sentences that he thinks fit the reply. 

I'm sick to death of him. 

Bores me senseless, and I simply don't trust what he says or what he does match day. 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Having suffered years of failing to understand lots of what LJ said I’m now trying to come to terms with Manning speak.

Here’s my best effort at an interpretation / translation of recent LM comments.

LM I’m not on social media, so I genuinely don’t hear it but I’m not stupid, I get the industry, I signed up for it, right?” Manning said. “Unfortunately with football it’s changed where three/four games and it’s where the world is at, short-term and everything straight away.”

= Football is a results based business. Our poor recent results, understandably, are a cause for concern to everybody. I have now presided over 26 games as Head Coach of Bristol City and everybody including the fans rightly expect that our results and performances should have been better and there should be more evidence of progress.

LM "For me, of course I want to win. It hurts me. I don’t want to go home having losses but I don’t see the point of wasting energy getting down about it. I’ve had to scrap, I’ve had to fight, I’ve had to graft to get where I’m at and they’re the behaviours: treat people properly, that doesn’t change, come in, drive a standard every day, deliver the work we deliver.”

= Umm….I don’t like losing and whatever happens I will keep doing the same things, I believe it’s important to treat people properly. Genuinely hard to know what ‘they’re the behaviours’ ‘drive a standard every day’ and ‘deliver the work we deliver’ actually mean.

LM “I’m fortunate in that I’ve got a lot of good people around me, the staff have been great: Hoggy’s been terrific, Krausey, Brian, Pat, Ciss (Khalifa Cisse) - there are loads of good people who see the good work that’s happening every day and that’s the only way that you change it.”

= I work with good staff, things change when you constantly and consistently do good work.

LM “Am I emotionally fully all in? You only have to ask the people around here with the way we work and the hours we put in. My energy has to go into the players, they’re the most important people.”

= I can’t answer that question, please ask others. If it’s about hard work and long hours then we are OK.

Deliver the work we deliver-

It's not even English ffs....

Just drop bullshit Liam.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thanks for posting, Happy memories. I think was sat in mine with it broadly not far from dugouts. Cotts very intense, focused- but you could tell he was a leader.

Can inspire the supoorters too.

Only 3 managers we've had in the SL era who can perhaps whip up the crowd, foster the correct atmosphere, siege mentality if needed.

GJ, Cotts and NP. That's probably about it really.

that feeling is what i like most about going to footy, getting excited enough to start shouting or singing even.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I don’t know. Would said different CEO/Technical Director also have a history of knifing others in the back to get jobs outside of their ability level?

If so, I agree the outcome wouldn’t have been different 

If you mean danny wilson, after that brighton game his sacking was inevitable, and after that performance, was deserved. Alexander came out to praise pearson and got fired soon after, you either tow the owners line in his club, or you get fired. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

8 hours ago, Graham76 said:

I know right, most of his interviews are literally copy and paste.

I listened to an old interview cots did way back when we beat Swindon at Ashton Gate 3-0. It was so refreshing to hear, a Manager speaking passionately about our performance. Even Steve Lansdown chipped in with some good words. I miss his those days. 

I do miss Cotts

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

If you mean danny wilson, after that brighton game his sacking was inevitable, and after that performance, was deserved. Alexander came out to praise pearson and got fired soon after, you either tow the owners line in his club, or you get fired. 

Not even Danny Wilson himself knew why he was sacked. Got a dismissal phone call whilst on holiday telling him that his services were no longer required.

17 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Theres toeing the owners line and there’s actively politicking. But thanks for confirming Brian’s total lack of moral fibre and desire to do what’s best for the club.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Not even Danny Wilson himself knew why he was sacked. Got a dismissal phone call whilst on holiday telling him that his services were no longer required.

If he didnt know why he got sacked after that horror show then he shouldn’t have had the job anyway. Plus that squad under that manager clearly had issues off the pitch that he couldnt or wouldn’t get any control over, maybe things would have turned out better for wilson had his first team players not been out smoking and drinking till all hours.

12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

At the time SL said in interview that he phoned Danny to inform him of some budget cuts for the next season, one of which was dispensing with the services of the sports psychologist that Danny was using and SL thought unnecessary , DW disagreed and in SL's words " I decided I couldn't work with him anymore and sacked him"

I was struck by the phrase ' I decided ' because back then we still had a board but SL unilaterally made the decision and saw no reason to involve or discuss it with other board members.

It's always been Steve's way or the highway.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Inevitable ? Not so sure , after reaching a PO final. I wasn't sorry he went, I thought he set up completely wrong against Brighton . 

Alexander , from all reports , stepped down not sacked. In fact the rumours were interference by SL in the Scott transfer did it .