IGNORED

Bristol City - the most mid-table club ever?

Look on the bright side 👍 

Constant midtable = no major fear of relegation for us fans.

No need to pay out bonusses and increased salaries if we were promoted for the board to consider.

We might not be too happy, but we remain what Rovers would like to be.

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 2

I watched a YouTube video from httc  severns (Alfie potts)

He described the championship as 11 teams fighting for promotion, 11 teams fighting against relegation and then you had Preston and Bristol city

Just about sums it up and potts is a massive Hull fan

• Like 10
  • Haha 5

Have a mate who supports Newcastle. Texted me today as it's 14 years since Bristol City 2-2 Newcastle (Maynard screamer). I had a look at the BBC match report from the time: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/8572371.stm

And I had a look at the table:

image.thumb.png.21dbaa8e711064cc4b2f7e8c27594521.png
We're 1 point better off today, and 2 places better off. Some progress in 14 years. So depressing.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, White Stripe said:

They have a point, don't they Steve?

bristol-city-midttable.jpg

Also, I believe if you look at those seasons we've actually barely ever been in either the top 6 or bottom 3 at any meaningful point (is after the first 5 games or so). 

We've been in those positions very occasionally, but other than 15/16 and maybe for a few games in 18/19, we've rarely had a spell in either of the "fun" areas of the division.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Also, I believe if you look at those seasons we've actually barely ever been in either the top 6 or bottom 3 at any meaningful point (is after the first 5 games or so). 

We've been in those positions very occasionally, but other than 15/16 and maybe for a few games in 18/19, we've rarely had a spell in either of the "fun" areas of the division.

17/18 too. We were in and around the top 6 for good periods.

• Like 1

i always recall a story i heard about Jack Charlton speaking at a footballers dinner event at Ashton Gate

apparently he opened with the hilarious line

"it's good to see Bristol City where they belong...19th in Division 2"

(obv old divisions then)

thats always stuck with me.

sadly remains pretty accurate.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In my time that happened once only, the Ward and Benny year..how far back are you going.

To be fair, that's the one I had in mind.  It's seared in my consciousness because we took so long to climb back out of the third tier afterwards.  Years of near misses under Danny Wilson (including that play off final in Cardiff).  Fortunately Tinnion laid the foundations for our revival 😉 and the great Gary Johnson finished the job.

• Like 1

Championship stability is certainly some kind of progress, in a way. Although it definitely feels like us and Preston are stuck in limbo.

Probably most frustrating about the lack of improvement in the last 16 years is that there's no real reason for it other than incompetent leadership from the top.

• Like 5

Every time I get frustrated and upset about our lack of progress up the leagues, I remind myself that the ‘norm’ for many years for me was to watch us bumping along in the old Div 3 season after season, playing the likes of Grimsby, Tranmere or Mansfield on a wet weeknight. 
The weather hasn’t improved much, but our league average attainment thankfully has. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, red panda said:

To be fair, that's the one I had in mind.  It's seared in my consciousness because we took so long to climb back out of the third tier afterwards.  Years of near misses under Danny Wilson (including that play off final in Cardiff).  Fortunately Tinnion laid the foundations for our revival 😉 and the great Gary Johnson finished the job.

Ah yes 6, 7 years...Or was it 8.

Tinnion laying the foundations is quite the take! I suppose we can say Orr and Brooker were good signings sadly injury hit with the latter, Brown for a time and he gave Dave Cotterill his debut. Russell was useful too.

Good was somewhat outweighed by the negatives though!

This is pretty accurate over our entire history. Apart from a few blips, mid table of the second tier has been our level. 

Whenever you speak to other clubs fans it’s generally how we are perceived too; along with a usual “why hasn’t a city the size of Bristol got a Premier League team?”! 

It’s been who we are for over a hundred years and it’s going to take quite a seismic shift for us to turn into a regular Premier League team. 

Part of me does like we’re unfashionable, even unlikeable though. Not sure I’d ever want to be a Man City; maybe just a Brighton or Brentford for a bit though! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

I watched a YouTube video from httc  severns (Alfie potts)

He described the championship as 11 teams fighting for promotion, 11 teams fighting against relegation and then you had Preston and Bristol city

Just about sums it up and potts is a massive Hull fan

Alfie does some great videos. His one the other day which on the surface was about a football stadium that's never been built in Lithuania, but in reality the video was about Lithuania's political history for the last 30 years. 

• Like 1

Oh, the grand old Duke of Guernsey,

he had 20,000 men ( and women)

he marched them up near the top of the league

and marched them down again,

and when they were up, they weren't quite up

and when they were down, they weren't quite  down

and when they were only halfway up they were neither up or down and that's were they stayed.

• Like 6
  • Haha 6
  • Flames 1

But it's all very exciting - we beat Southampton (really we did), and then we can convince ourselves we'll make the play-offs and then we lose a few on the trot and convince ourselves we'll be relegated.  It would be interesting to see which club supporters suffer the most heart attacks - we must be near the top!

Edited by cheese
cos I can

2 hours ago, Robin101 said:

Have a mate who supports Newcastle. Texted me today as it's 14 years since Bristol City 2-2 Newcastle (Maynard screamer). I had a look at the BBC match report from the time: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/8572371.stm

We're 1 point better off today, and 2 places better off. Some progress in 14 years. So depressing.

Whatever happened to Newcastle?

12 minutes ago, cheese said:

Whatever happened to Newcastle?

..or Doncaster, or Scunthorpe?

Suddenly mid table doesn't look quite so bad! :shocking:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robin101 said:

But then we picked up to finish 10th; odd season though. Blackpool promoted to the Prem. Doncaster 12th and Scunny above Palace.

Championship 09/10

P

W

D

L

F

A

Pts

Newcastle

West Brom

Notingham F

Cardiff