IGNORED

England Vs Brazil / Belgium

13 hours ago, Markthehorn said:

Walker and Maguire out of the Belgium game .

Rico Lewis called up .

That’s good. It’s obvious that Walker and almost definitely Maguire will be in the squad, so makes sense to try Lewis. He’s got great potential so would rather have him in the squad ahead of lots of the filler players Southgate insists on calling up.

I see the Trafford the Burnley keeper has been bought in too, who they signed from Man City. Being at Burnley will skew it a bit, but he’s supposed to be very good isn’t he?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t watch them religiously like I used to, but my gut feel is that we aren’t as good as many suggest.  We have a few very good players, but so do most of the other best 6-8 international sides.

Can we go deep into a tournament?  Yes

Can we win it?  Much less likely.  We are likely to hit a better team than us the further we go.

Are we progressing better in tournaments under Southgate than we have in the past?  Absolutely.  For some that means they think we should win.

Fifa rankings, us and the other top teams.

image.thumb.jpeg.10b69e0cf73e2e0ef6503a12a71c7099.jpeg

There are a couple in that list I might fancy us against, but most I’d say we are no better than equal to, some worse than.  

I think we've got a stronger first 11 and potentially squad than most of those - actually beating them is a different question. I don't rate Southgate's game management or style of play, and under his leadership I feel the mentality of the team is weak. 

I think there's a culture in lots of the international teams above of being effective in tournament football - the Italy final being a great example. They managed the game really well, using their guile and experience.

That's where we seem to struggle - for example I could see us struggling in a tournament context against an awkward South American side who know how to manage a game (historically someone like Uruguay).

Out of those France and Argentina are obviously very strong. I wasn't that impressed with Brazil but obviously you'd never bet against them. Belgium are on a downward curve, but lots of experience in that side.

I'd fancy us against Netherlands and Portugal. Spain and Italy have weaker squads than usual, but awkward teams to beat and know how to manage tournaments. Germany seem to be going under the radar a little, much better side than the one we beat.

I would love to see how we'd get on in a tournament with a manager who understands how to manage those knockout games whilst letting our better players express themselves. I think my dream appointment would be Klopp if we had the pick of anyone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That’s good. It’s obvious that Walker and almost definitely Maguire will be in the squad, so makes sense to try Lewis. He’s got great potential so would rather have him in the squad ahead of lots of the filler players Southgate insists on calling up.

I see the Trafford the Burnley keeper has been bought in too, who they signed from Man City. Being at Burnley will skew it a bit, but he’s supposed to be very good isn’t he?

Under 21 keeper in euros last year

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He’s generally been awful in the PL whenever I’ve seen him. He looks weak and teams just get a big man next to him and pop the ball in there.

Hes still very young for a keeper. I thinks he’s gone up the leagues too quickly (LG1 to PL). I guess as he’s already around the camp, it makes sense to bring him to have a better look.

• Like 1

On 23/03/2024 at 21:39, Graham76 said:

Quote from BBC online coverage: Southgate plays 'dont lose at all cost' football, but forgets goals win tournaments. 

Sounds familiar doesn’t it

Only Southgate could fail at the Euros with this squad. For god sake, take the brakes off man and grow some balls. I think he never got over that penalty miss

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think we've got a stronger first 11 and potentially squad than most of those - actually beating them is a different question. I don't rate Southgate's game management or style of play, and under his leadership I feel the mentality of the team is weak. 

I think there's a culture in lots of the international teams above of being effective in tournament football - the Italy final being a great example. They managed the game really well, using their guile and experience.

That's where we seem to struggle - for example I could see us struggling in a tournament context against an awkward South American side who know how to manage a game (historically someone like Uruguay).

Out of those France and Argentina are obviously very strong. I wasn't that impressed with Brazil but obviously you'd never bet against them. Belgium are on a downward curve, but lots of experience in that side.

I'd fancy us against Netherlands and Portugal. Spain and Italy have weaker squads than usual, but awkward teams to beat and know how to manage tournaments. Germany seem to be going under the radar a little, much better side than the one we beat.

I would love to see how we'd get on in a tournament with a manager who understands how to manage those knockout games whilst letting our better players express themselves. I think my dream appointment would be Klopp if we had the pick of anyone. 

Pretty fair assessment, I've enjoyed Southgates time in so much that he brought back some pride to the national team and unity in the camp.

I wouldn't be upset to see someone new come in now and try a different approach. As you say, perhaps someone with experience of tournament football and getting results.

I think we've got a very talented side, but it might sound weird to say I think we've peaked a little. 2021/22 seemed to be a good blend of experience and fresh talent and players in form.

We've got problems in depth in multiple areas now and the second/third choice in several positions is significantly weaker - both full backs, CB, CM and the lone striker role.

International management must be a tough gig though. Gareth has 4 games (3 now) to prepare, with these 2 being at a time in the season when several players naturally drop out - does he experiment, or try and work on team cohesion with his current best 11? I think we saw neither on Saturday as his best 11 wasn't avaible, but he didn't really seem to try anything different.

18 minutes ago, phantom said:

I'm guessing people will rightly see it as a brilliant gesture to raise awareness of an awful illness 

I did wonder about its effectiveness if people can't tell who each player is during the second half of the game? But I get the sentiment.

3 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Pretty fair assessment, I've enjoyed Southgates time in so much that he brought back some pride to the national team and unity in the camp.

I wouldn't be upset to see someone new come in now and try a different approach. As you say, perhaps someone with experience of tournament football and getting results.

I think we've got a very talented side, but it might sound weird to say I think we've peaked a little. 2021/22 seemed to be a good blend of experience and fresh talent and players in form.

We've got problems in depth in multiple areas now and the second/third choice in several positions is significantly weaker - both full backs, CB, CM and the lone striker role.

International management must be a tough gig though. Gareth has 4 games (3 now) to prepare, with these 2 being at a time in the season when several players naturally drop out - does he experiment, or try and work on team cohesion with his current best 11? I think we saw neither on Saturday as his best 11 wasn't avaible, but he didn't really seem to try anything different.

I know you watch a lot of England live so you probably know better than me - but I disagree with the ‘peaked’ point. I think now, in Bellingham, we’ve got that ‘x factor’ player you need. That will make a difference.

We haven’t had that since Rooney imo - obviously the likes of Kane, Gerrard, Lampard etc are fantastic players - but there’s something about the likes of Bellingham and Rooney.

I think Bellingham will likely go on to become England’s accepted ‘best ever player’ and having a midfielder who’s that good is so rare. 

In this upcoming tournament I think the only other side with one of those players is France with Mbappe.

I just worry that Southgate’s management ability doesn’t match that of the squad - from the clips I see of him, like a certain Mr Manning, i’d find him very hard to get fired up for. He might be different behind closed doors, but i’ve always had this weird impression that subconsciously he’s more comfortable as a gallant loser than winner.

You can imagine it - we narrowly lose in a semi with a typical Southgate performance - Gary Lineker signs off with a wry quip and it cuts to some salubrious montage (set to Bittersweet Symphony) featuring Bellingham clapping fans, Saka sitting in the centre circle crying or something. 

I lost a lot of respect for him about the Henderson situation (and the Qatar tournament too). He, no doubt influenced by the FA, seems very happy to lap up all the praise for being ‘right on’ (I can’t bring myself to say ‘woke’ - far too GB News).. but when it really matters he doesn’t act on it. You can’t have it both ways - what Henderson did was hypocritical and Southgate shouldn’t have wimped out of saying so. Likewise, you can’t virtuously gesture about equality and other causes but completely ignore Qatar’s stance on those issues. 

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Guessing people will call this woke 

Are you a member of the hierarchy at our club? Because your inability to read a room and come out with some pathetic, sad statement has you well qualified to be

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 2

• Admin
20 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I did wonder about its effectiveness if people can't tell who each player is during the second half of the game? But I get the sentiment.

What it will do is raise the profile of the condition, I'm not actually sure apart from those sat pitchside can read the names anyway

• Like 1

I'll be watching Wales v Poland tonight as that's a much more interesting game with an awful lot riding on it. Wales games at home are invariably entertaining, and almost guaranteed to better than another sterile friendly at Wembley.

Game is on S4C - accessible via BBC iplayer.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I know you watch a lot of England live so you probably know better than me - but I disagree with the ‘peaked’ point. I think now, in Bellingham, we’ve got that ‘x factor’ player you need. That will make a difference.

We haven’t had that since Rooney imo - obviously the likes of Kane, Gerrard, Lampard etc are fantastic players - but there’s something about the likes of Bellingham and Rooney.

I think Bellingham will likely go on to become England’s accepted ‘best ever player’ and having a midfielder who’s that good is so rare. 

In this upcoming tournament I think the only other side with one of those players is France with Mbappe.

I just worry that Southgate’s management ability doesn’t match that of the squad - from the clips I see of him, like a certain Mr Manning, i’d find him very hard to get fired up for. He might be different behind closed doors, but i’ve always had this weird impression that subconsciously he’s more comfortable as a gallant loser than winner.

You can imagine it - we narrowly lose in a semi with a typical Southgate performance - Gary Lineker signs off with a wry quip and it cuts to some salubrious montage (set to Bittersweet Symphony) featuring Bellingham clapping fans, Saka sitting in the centre circle crying or something. 

I lost a lot of respect for him about the Henderson situation (and the Qatar tournament too). He, no doubt influenced by the FA, seems very happy to lap up all the praise for being ‘right on’ (I can’t bring myself to say ‘woke’ - far too GB News).. but when it really matters he doesn’t act on it. You can’t have it both ways - what Henderson did was hypocritical and Southgate shouldn’t have wimped out of saying so. Likewise, you can’t virtuously gesture about equality and other causes but completely ignore Qatar’s stance on those issues. 

I think I struggled to get across what I meant, I typed quite a bit out then felt like I was rambling and deleted it 🤦‍♂️

What I'm trying to say is that some of the players at Euro 21 and Qatar 22 have aged now, but the next round of players aren't quite at the level and we're struggling for depth.

From the last 2 - Maguire and Rashford struggling for form, Shaw probably out through injury, Sterling and Henderson past it but will all likely be in the squad (even a half fit shaw, maybe not Sterling) because there's no one obviously better to take their places.

Bellingham is unbelievable. I'm trying not to get carried away with him but as you say he's got that something special about him and I think it's even more exciting because of the nature of his position. Fans love to see players pick the ball up and run past players with it. His performance in the Italy game in October was something I haven't seen for years, he took that game by the scruff of the neck and pulled us through in that second half.

There's reasons to be hopeful - Jude, Rice, Stones, Foden seem to be getting even better, Walker one of the best RB in the world and Kane still scoring for fun, but I think out of 21,22 and 24 this will be our weakest squad of the three in terms of quality in depth.

27 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

Looking at the teams expecting a Belgium win tbh .

Probably watch the Wales game anyway .

You'd think Poland will be too strong for Wales as well.