IGNORED

Manning in

Curr Avon

38 minutes ago, winsaw said:

I was really surprised how many empty seats there were in the ground today for a sell out, not just the usual spaces in the south stand but lots of spaces on the sides as well, 

So, a bit short on the back and sides?

Good to see us win otherwise we'd soon be getting a number one all over.

Just now, Tim Monaghan said:

I’ll say it again. Give him the summer. Let the guy find his feet. I know that’s not what was sold, but nothing we can do about that. I believe he is the right man for the job and I’m certainly excited moving forward. 

COYRs 

For me, Manning has to justify us rebuilding the squad to play possession football, vs the cost of sacking and replacing him and signing a few quality players to complete the counter-attacking squad we’ve built since Pearson came in.

If we get results with Manning’s main man (Twine) back in the side, and playing Manning football, then he’s earned the right to be backed properly in the summer.

If we go at Plymouth in the same way we have in recent games. Then we’re back at square one and today’s result means nothing. 

It is one game. It’s now a big challenge for Manning to prepare the team for Monday and build upon today’s performance and result.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Some context needs to be considered as well. Leicester are having a pretty major crisis right now. They're facing 3 financial cases, their women's coach has just been sacked for inappropriate relationships, the board aren't really engaged with the owners, the players are grumbling at Maresca's workload demands, they've struggled to get results, and their rivals (Leeds in particular) have reeled them in from what was, at one point, an 18 (eighteen) point lead.

Each of those issues might in isolation be irrelevant, but as a melange of problems they are all having an impact.

Well done to us for capitalising on that today, but as I said a while ago, I actually don't think this was the surprise result that it will be painted as.

The first 3 points will not have even registered with the players let’s be honest about it,you really think the men’s team care about the women’s team or about the clubs financial situation 

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

hope he does too. I think he's got the potential, but it's been infuriating how he's been so stubborn and rigid. If he does see today and flex a little bit then great, brilliant, I'll feel good.

I said a few weeks back…

IMG_0032.thumb.jpeg.391bd053100fc2938f4b7dabd3e019d0.jpeg

@maxjak you might wanna read the above.  

49 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

He organised a win over a Leicester team doing all they can to avoid getting back to the premier league and being financially ruined.

Good result on paper. Reality is something different.

Erm if they stay down they could be well and truly for the high jump too..deduction, embargo, Business Plan..sales to avoid this then punitive swingeing austerity measures. Think going back up would be better for their medium term future!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Thoroughly enjoyed the game. The team only proved me right that they’re perfectly capable of more. Have to agree with some others, that we have seen the team play like this before, so it will be more important for me, what we do for the next few games. 

One excellent game has to be followed up by others, to see a pattern. He did everything right today , even the predictable subs worked brilliantly, so full credit and I’m taking nothing away from Manning for that. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

As you are the only person that seemingly knows how Manning wants to play, please can you inform the rest of us what that is?

At no point did I claim I know exactly how Manning wants to play, nor that i was the ‘chosen one’ who can see it? 

Just stating that the composure of MJ and Twines ability to play in the hole, on the half turn which are both lacking elsewhere in the squad are vital assets to LM. And as they have been injured recently it’s harder to define LMs current  ability/progress he’s made since he’s come in. 

8 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

The first 3 points will not have even registered with the players let’s be honest about it,you really think the men’s team care about the women’s team or about the clubs financial situation 

It doesn't need to be a direct impact. I'm not saying that Vardy has been storming into the accounts room demanding that they file the 22/23 accounts.

People are petty, egos are fragile, and issues cause ripples.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1

Good performance and a very enjoyable game. That said, if Vardy has been able to convert his sitters then the result would have been very different.

Interesting to see Manning and Matty James on the pitch afterwards - they obviously get on well. Hope the club will make every effort to keep James, maybe even getting him a bit of coaching to do.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

It doesn't need to be a direct impact. I'm not saying that Vardy has been storming into the accounts room demanding that they file the 22/23 accounts.

But when the DoF is cancelling meetings with the manager because he's got to go to emergency summits with the owner, and that means the manager is livid and then he schedules an extra training session, where he's a grumpy shit. Yeh that impacts them.

People are petty, egos are fragile, and issues cause ripples.

Tbf that works both ways. 

Could make similar points about the state of our club, but at the end of the day we came into the game as the worse side and won. simple as imo. 

Think it’s harsh to brush todays game aside as us beating a side ripe for the taking.

2 minutes ago, Super said:

Just stating what some were saying pre match.

Nobody really wants us to lose do they . They & it was only one or two thought that a hiding might get him the sack. It’s not what I’d want to see but I can understand the logic, they want what’s best long term . I , like all of us want to be proved wrong on manning & tinnion & the lansdowns because it would mean a successful club. There’s no chance of that with the lansdowns imo . It could be said that if we return to type for the rest of the season then today papered the cracks & he’s had a stay of execution. Why not contribute with a proper post of your own on manning , tinnion etc instead of childish point scoring . 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For me today opens up lots of questions, mainly centred around - why haven’t we played with that intent over the last x games, why have we too readily dropped into a low block, etc, etc?

The opportunity has been there!

I hope he’s learned what works for Bristol City at this level and he kicks on.

Totally agree and why I’m not getting too excited over one excellent game.  

1 hour ago, Curr Avon said:

Despite supposedly losing the dressing room, being out of his depth, and boring I'd say our manager deserves a lot of credit for today's excellent victory against Premier League bound Leicester.

Although I expect several of you to disagree.

It actually leaves me more frustrated than before. This squad has constantly proved itself against good teams. But it has consistently not been set up right (under Manning) to beat lower level opposition. Who exactly do you consider is responsible for that?
My personal view remains the same, Pearson was fired because the he challenged the board in a way they didn’t like and they were were worried he was going to guide this squad into the playoffs and that would have made it difficult to sack him.

Manning has never been the issue personally for me, it is the people above him. having said that I think the chances Manning will ever be good enough to guide City to promotion are very low. He has so far looked wooden and lacking in the flair required.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, George Rs said:

Tbf that works both ways. 

Could make similar points about the state of our club, but at the end of the day we came into the game as the worse side and won. simple as imo. 

Think it’s harsh to brush todays game aside as us beating a side ripe for the taking.

I can hear that sure. I don't think we have quite the pile up of issues that Leicester have, but sure we're far from utopian at the moment.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Nobody really wants us to lose do they . They & it was only one or two thought that a hiding might get him the sack. It’s not what I’d want to see but I can understand the logic, they want what’s best long term . I , like all of us want to be proved wrong on manning & tinnion & the lansdowns because it would mean a successful club. There’s no chance of that with the lansdowns imo . It could be said that if we return to type for the rest of the season then today papered the cracks & he’s had a stay of execution. Why not contribute with a proper post of your own on manning , tinnion etc instead of childish point scoring . 

There is no logic. It doesn't matter what's gone on you never should want your team to lose. 

1 hour ago, Curr Avon said:

Despite supposedly losing the dressing room, being out of his depth, and boring I'd say our manager deserves a lot of credit for today's excellent victory against Premier League bound Leicester.

Although I expect several of you to disagree.

1 win doesn't correct the absolute shit show before it,

There is still much wrong with the club,

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Liam Manning is clearly a coach for a higher standard (see West 'am, Forest, Southampton) than Bristol City and middle of the Championship and the worthy squad of players we have at our disposal, it's just a question of: can Bristol City reach the level Manning is at, and destined to be.

I think your onto something here, to expect this bloke to take someone else’s team, completely change there mentality and playing style and still compete top half was and still may never happen. I’m actual fact top half may still be achievable.

We’ll lose some and win some in the next few weeks but for me this season was kinda written off in November by the club, hoping for a balls out kinda of pre season.

COYR 

29 minutes ago, Tim Monaghan said:

I’ll say it again. Give him the summer. Let the guy find his feet. I know that’s not what was sold, but nothing we can do about that. I believe he is the right man for the job and I’m certainly excited moving forward. 

COYRs 

Agree, but pretty sure it’s not what Manning was selling at the time and he’s the one getting all the grief, thats the fault of the p*** poor comms from the club at the time.

• Like 1