IGNORED

Manning in

Curr Avon

2 minutes ago, S_C said:

It’s all nonsense. As it always is. Win a game and the pro-x spout their pro-x stuff, whilst the opposed half-heartedly offer flimsy praise whilst reaffirming their doubts. Vice versa applies, clearly.

Let’s be clear, it’s a great result, but both teams had chances and Vardy could have had a hat trick. The reality is people make their minds up and then manoeuvre conversation to fit. Which is a shame, as there’s much more credibility to be had in saying my opinion is x, I accept that has been/could be shown to be wrong and I am changing my opinion, than my opinion is x, it’s played out differently but here are my qualifiers why.

Today doesn’t prove that Manning is the man, but it does prove that those who have decided he isn’t, are highly unlikely to genuinely revise their view.

We just need a much bigger sample size before we all start jizzing our selves silly over a win... personally it annoys me when people pivot there options based on one  result its been piss poor for a while and that is what the club and manning is rightly being judged on not this one win let's not be fickle please for me jon tinion and manning have much to prove its over to them.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Tbf I do listen to that podcast regularly it's a good listen so all credit where it's due, but I think we all know how city play against the better sides that open the game up. For me even though its Leicester this win can't be used as a gauge of any progression it's the Plymouth, Blackburn, Huddersfield, Rotherham and Stoke game that will truly tell us if we are starting an upword trend under Manning that can be further cultivated during pre season and added to in the transfer market.

Imho, today was different to West Ham, Southampton, where we fell into a block and relied on counters from deep / longer passes.

Today was more like Boro (a) first half.  Pinch it higher up, and build from there.

1 minute ago, BCFC31 said:

We just need a much bigger sample size before we all start jizzing our selves silly over a win... personally it annoys me when people pivot there options based on one  result its been piss poor for a while and that is what the club and manning is rightly being judged on not this one win let's not be fickle please for me jon tinion and manning have much to prove its over to them.

Give them all a 10 year contract 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

It was a good performance. Having both Roberts and Pring on the left side worked well. Knight looked far more effective in midfield with James rather than upfront with Conway. Dickie continued to add to his “player of the season” reputation, Max was excellent at shot stopping and a bit more flaky with his distribution (nothing new there) while Mehmeti finally scored with his left foot. We were lucky that Leicester and particularly Vardy forgot their shooting boots today, but even so we were better on the break and with this less possession, neither of which should surprise anyone who has seen us this season. It’s not a new dawn, it’s more a reprise of what we know can work, although Tommy desperately needs someone else upfront with him, if he is to ever start scoring regularly from open play again.

Many have wanted Roberts and Pring in combination and Knight in his right position. Leicester out of form and under pressure undoubtedly a helpful factor. 

Edited by The Original OTIB

4 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Yep, agreed.

Edited by S_C

6 minutes ago, S_C said:

It’s all nonsense. As it always is. Win a game and the pro-x spout their pro-x stuff, whilst the opposed half-heartedly offer flimsy praise whilst reaffirming their doubts. Vice versa applies, clearly.

Let’s be clear, it’s a great result, but both teams had chances and Vardy could have had a hat trick. The reality is people make their minds up and then manoeuvre conversation to fit. Which is a shame, as there’s much more credibility to be had in saying my opinion is x, I accept that has been/could be shown to be wrong and I am changing my opinion, than my opinion is x, it’s played out differently but here are my qualifiers why.

Today doesn’t prove that Manning is the man, but it does prove that those who have decided he isn’t are highly unlikely to genuinely revise their view.

Why would you revise on one game if you didn’t reach your conclusion over one game?  Today goes into my evaluation “melting pot”.  Will it be joined by similar ingredients over the coming games that really change the make-up of the brew.  We will see I guess.  Hopefully so. I’d rather City do well..

• Like 1

Just now, Davefevs said:

Imho, today was different to West Ham, Southampton, where we fell into a block and relied on counters from deep / longer passes.

Today was more like Boro (a) first half.  Pinch it higher up, and build from there.

I really like the two behind the striker the 3-4-2-1 suits us it provides a good balance between sitting in the lower block with a 5-4-1 and then offering up the prior shape in attack, it could well see us score more goals so I'd like to see manning be consistent with this shape and I know availability is also an  important cog in this wheel but that's where its now over to Jon and Brian to sort the medical department out and fund proper player recruitment.

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I can’t remember who it was that made the observation that under LJ, they’d be at a point where they thought he should go and then he’d pull a result out, and they softened, and started to give him the benefit of doubt again. All it was really doing was delaying the inevitable, as the downward trend was set after the first half of 17/18. It was a bumpy downward trend with some upswings, but a downward one nonetheless.

And that’s broadly where I am today. I thought it was an excellent performance - we pushed higher up the pitch, played with intensity and there were a few excellent performances (O’Leary, James and then just below that Pring, Roberts, Sykes and Knight). Yes, we had our luck in the Vardy chances but in the same way that a striker deserves credit for a great finish, Max deserves the credit for the saves.

But in essence, it changes nothing. We were here against Southampton and it reverted to the trend very quickly thereafter. Today, we can be pleased with a job well done and credit to both coach and players. But for it to change anyone’s opinion in view of the overall sample size to date is really not sensible.

Pearson also had the knack of pulling a good result out of the hat when it mattered. 
What does it tell us? 
That the players are capable but don’t perform consistently enough to be successful in this division ? 
I know we can’t win every match and for the most part we’ve not been battered by anyone but the coach needs to motivate the team to maintain their standards. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, George Rs said:

What? Saints were 20+ unbeaten? Hadn’t lost in 11 away games? 

Feeling was, post Huddersfield, that their defence getting more shaky over recent games and playing far too open. Great 25 game run but concerns true that night and in a couple of other defeats soon after. We could have played them at a far worse time, keep in mind they also had an eye on a Friday game away at WBA.

Howler from Blackburn keeper, in other news.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Why would you revise on one game if you didn’t reach your conclusion over one game?  Today goes into my evaluation “melting pot”.  Will it be joined by similar ingredients over the coming games that really change the make-up of the brew.  We will see I guess.  Hopefully so. I’d rather City do well..

Where did I say you should revise your opinion based on one game?

Those who have criticised Manning will say ‘good result, but..’ Those who back Manning will say ‘this is proof that..’

It’s neither of those things. It’s a good result. A good performance. Leicester could have won had they taken their chances, but we won, it was a good win, and it’s a strong win, which on another day could have been a loss. The issue is that whatever happened today is of little value, as pre-determined beliefs define how you comment on the outcome.

It’s fine to say over x games we haven’t shown enough, for what it’s worth I agree with that, but we went toe-to-toe today with an auto promotion contender. It’s a shame that people can’t purely complement that, rather than offer half-hearted praise and risk potentially contradicting their established opinion. 

1 minute ago, Barrs Court Red said:

OP’s cringe as ****, and I say that as someone’s whose been “Manning in” since day one - the geezer needs until at least October before a reasonable position can be taken on if he deserves the post or not. 

Totally agree. In my humble opinion any final judgements at this stage are premature.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, harvey54 said:

I'm prepared to eat a small piece of humble pie and some of my words. 

He set us up well and the team played for him. We didn't look like the team we've been recently. 

The jury is still out though 

There's nothing wrong with the jury still being out 👍

If we win on Monday it'll be 3 wins in 4 games. If we lose, our away form is a major concern. Every game changes the context slightly. 

I've always been a believer that managers need time, and I'm not changing that viewpoint now. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, S_C said:

Where did I say you should revise your opinion based on one game?

Those who have criticised Manning will say ‘good result, but..’ Those who back Manning will say ‘this is proof that..’

It’s neither of those things. It’s a good result. A good performance. Leicester could have won had they taken their chances, but we won, it was a good win, and it’s a strong win, which on another day could have been a loss. The issue is that whatever happened today is of little value, as pre-determined beliefs define how you comment on the outcome.

It’s fine to say over x games we haven’t shown enough, for what it’s worth I agree with that, but we went toe-to-toe today with an auto promotion contender. It’s a shame that people can’t purely complement that, rather than offer half-hearted praise and risk potentially contradicting their established opinion. 

Because you talk about one game pro or con Manning posts because of a result.  Is that not what you meant?

we did go toe to toe, we did more than that imho.

2 hours ago, winsaw said:

I was really surprised how many empty seats there were in the ground today for a sell out, not just the usual spaces in the south stand but lots of spaces on the sides as well, 

Easily explained, my wife is ill so we couldn't go

2 hours ago, cityexile said:

He does deserve credit today, a lot.

Our players seem to enjoy playing against better teams and this is now a run of better performances against them. It’s the Millwall, Cardiff, Stoke at home kind of games he has to find a way. Hopefully he can. Todays result was actually not that out of the ordinary in his time here.

Personally, just going to enjoy the result.

Unfortunately we don’t play against teams that will take the game to us every week.

Manning needs to absolutely find a way to deliver better results against those teams.

its nigh on ridiculous if you can only beat the better teams in the league and will only lead to one thing. Mid table.

3 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Despite supposedly losing the dressing room, being out of his depth, and boring I'd say our manager deserves a lot of credit for today's excellent victory against Premier League bound Leicester.

Although I expect several of you to disagree.

He's Big time Charlie if it wasn't for vardy missing a hat full of chances and O'Leary MOTM for me we would of been out of that game but we taken a our chance. In my opinion Plymouth game will be alot harder and that's where he's earns his money.One game doesn't paper over the shambolic running of this club.

Edited by Street red

43 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

Indeed, they are in poor form, in form Vardy scores at least one.

Back it up Monday and belief will build. Happy for that to happen but Argyle need points so could be a slog.

Agreed - win Monday and I think I’ll be more open minded. I appreciate we’ve had lots of injuries - but I just feel so uninspired by it all. I was fairly ambivalent whether we won or lost today.

3 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Despite supposedly losing the dressing room, being out of his depth, and boring I'd say our manager deserves a lot of credit for today's excellent victory against Premier League bound Leicester.

Although I expect several of you to disagree.

I don’t know about losing the dressing room. Luckily he hasn’t lost OLeary. 

City played well enough no doubt. However OLeary who was easily man of the match papered over the cracks. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I don’t know about losing the dressing room. Luckily he hasn’t lost OLeary. 

City played well enough no doubt. However OLeary who was easily man of the match papered over the cracks. 

Vardy’s finishing was odd - I appreciate he’s getting on a bit now, but you’d expect him to bury at least 2 of the chances he had.

It felt like one of those football manager games they throw in sometimes where you’re doing too well so guaranteed to lose regardless. 

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Because you talk about one game pro or con Manning posts because of a result.  Is that not what you meant?

we did go toe to toe, we did more than that imho.

Apologies, perhaps I’m being dense.

I’m on and off OTIB, but you seem to be of the opinion that Manning isn’t the guy/up to the job etc. For what it’s worth, from what we’ve seen, I don’t disagree with that. I’m a bit more forgiving of his circumstances, I’d suggest, but I’m certainly in the camp that his time here has been underwhelming and he/we need to improve. But when we beat an auto-promotion team, and whilst they had their chances I don’t think the result was unfair, to see the wolves at the door fluttering begrudging praise whilst waiting for the next loss is a bit tiresome.

Where did I say, sorry, that people should form their opinions on one game?

4 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I think that's a bit disingenuous. We were never going to prevent then getting any chances as they're too good for that. However, we made decent chances ourselves & were denied a pen when TC was held back.  Max played very well, but it was a good overall performance with no real weak links.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

We just need to work out how to beat the likes of Rotherham, get promoted next season and then, almost inevitably, we'll qualify for Europe based on this season's starts against Premier teams and teams with parachute payments destined to return to the Premier League.  It's the equivalent of 11 points out of 14 v West Ham, Forest x 2, Southampton and Leicester.   We probably should have won against Ipswich as well but they are mainly a hard-working team with a good manager and don't qualify as Premier League standard although the real reason is it would ruin the stats!

12 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

I think that's a bit disingenuous. We were never going to prevent then getting any chances as they're too good for that. However, we made decent chances ourselves & were denied a pen when TC was held back.  Max played very well, but it was a good overall performance with no real weak links.

Gary Owers made his opinion very clear who he thought was MotM post game on radio Brizz. Take a listen. 

14 minutes ago, S_C said:

Apologies, perhaps I’m being dense.

I’m on and off OTIB, but you seem to be of the opinion that Manning isn’t the guy/up to the job etc. For what it’s worth, from what we’ve seen, I don’t disagree with that. I’m a bit more forgiving of his circumstances, I’d suggest, but I’m certainly in the camp that his time here has been underwhelming and he/we need to improve. But when we beat an auto-promotion team, and whilst they had their chances I don’t think the result was unfair, to see the wolves at the door fluttering begrudging praise whilst waiting for the next loss is a bit tiresome.

Where did I say, sorry, that people should form their opinions on one game?

Nah, probably me reading it wrong. 👍🏻

• Robin 1