IGNORED

Manning in

Curr Avon

1 minute ago, transfer reader said:

So the win needs the context of Vardy missing chances, but not Conway and Mehmeti missing chances?

It needs context of some nonsense involving the Leicester Women's team having a bit of drama but not us being denied to blatant penalties?

Seems the context you're providing is more than a bit one sided.

Not sure I follow your point here.

Yeh we were denied penalties, if we'd got them then we might have scored one and...we'd have probably won...and the surrounding context would have remained exactly the same. Not sure how us not getting a penalty changes the context of the game?

Separately I'm not sure why you and others have latched on to my mention of the issues at Leicester's women's team when it was just one thing I mentioned in a long list of issues they're facing right now, and I said very clearly that what I am told is that it's the cumulative effect of all those issues causing problems at the King Power, not just any single one.

I've also never said that it's solely those issues that got us our win. Because it's not. But these issues can disrupt Leicester City enough to enable a team that approaches the game well - like we did yesterday - to capitalise on it. A few months ago they didn't have all of these issues to the same degree and they beat us at their place (we played well in that game, but never looked like seriously taking something from it). 

These issues have distracted their DoF, have distracted their manager, and yes have indirectly caused some of the players to lose a little bit of faith in the club and to cast their minds forward to their next contract. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Olé said:

Ahem

AA07D441-15D0-466E-AAB4-D871F3A83FAC.thumb.jpeg.a53a19744a38f91e85dada922900d1cb.jpeg

First 4 were NP but still. After yesterday (this was flashed up by Sky before the game) Manning is W2 L5 vs the top 6, and as a club we’re W2 D1 L8 vs the top 6. Which is where you’d expect mid table to be, nicking the odd result.

No mention of the four games played against Premier opposition???

12 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Not sure I follow your point here.

Yeh we were denied penalties, if we'd got them then we might have scored one and...we'd have probably won...and the surrounding context would have remained exactly the same. Not sure how us not getting a penalty changes the context of the game?

Separately I'm not sure why you and others have latched on to my mention of the issues at Leicester's women's team when it was just one thing I mentioned in a long list of issues they're facing right now, and I said very clearly that what I am told is that it's the cumulative effect of all those issues causing problems at the King Power, not just any single one.

I've also never said that it's solely those issues that got us our win. Because it's not. But these issues can disrupt Leicester City enough to enable a team that approaches the game well - like we did yesterday - to capitalise on it. A few months ago they didn't have all of these issues to the same degree and they beat us at their place (we played well in that game, but never looked like seriously taking something from it). 

These issues have distracted their DoF, have distracted their manager, and yes have indirectly caused some of the players to lose a little bit of faith in the club and to cast their minds forward to their next contract. 

The penalties are another facet to the "but Vardy missed chances"

If one is context, the so is the other.

2 hours ago, Olé said:

Ahem

AA07D441-15D0-466E-AAB4-D871F3A83FAC.thumb.jpeg.a53a19744a38f91e85dada922900d1cb.jpeg

First 4 were NP but still. After yesterday (this was flashed up by Sky before the game) Manning is W2 L5 vs the top 6, and as a club we’re W2 D1 L8 vs the top 6. Which is where you’d expect mid table to be, nicking the odd result.

⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️

7 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

Was gonna add to Rob’s post that the FA cup games gave us a false sense of what had been happening in the league.  You can spin it either way I guess.

11 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

I think you’ll find they’re not in the championship top six, which is what the Sky Sports graphic indicates. It’d be a bit odd to include them in that context but if it makes you feel better, go nuts.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Davefevs said:

For me today opens up lots of questions, mainly centred around - why haven’t we played with that intent over the last x games, why have we too readily dropped into a low block, etc, etc?

The opportunity has been there!

I hope he’s learned what works for Bristol City at this level and he kicks on.

For me the term 'low block' remains interchangeable with 'parking the bus'. It has less negative connotations but it still means putting players behind the ball, playing to frustrate the opponents, and playing anti-football. I can't wait for the next term to come along; "Manning Defence", something like that, but equally hateful.

https://theathletic.com/3469899/2022/08/04/premier-league-glossary-new-season/

21 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think you’ll find they’re not in the championship top six, which is what the Sky Sports graphic indicates. It’d be a bit odd to include them in that context but if it makes you feel better, go nuts.

I understood his post to dispute the points made that we tend to do better against better teams. Hence my post that the cup games should also be included.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Yep, we've essentially replaced Scott with Knight, and Semenyo with Mehmeti. We've also got rid of Weimann and won't replace him til the summer. 

Had we not had persistent injury problems all season, we probably couldn't have sacked Nige, and/or Manning would be doing better.

But it's a imbalanced, inconsistent squad.

If Manning had managed just 3 points at this stage (let say we held on to beat Cov and held on to draw v Ipswich), then we'd be pushing top 10 and you can't grumble with that. Fine margins. Now he needs to find that extra 3 points somewhere else.

They appointed a manager with a 40% + win record at all his previous clubs, so the scenario you've described is a bit bizarre.

I honestly don't give a monkeys what he did previously - what's he doing right here, right now is my concern.

There's enough evidence available to us now to be forming an opinion about his ability at Championship level. I honestly don't give a monkeys how he got on playing Accrington Stanley.

The evidence so far is 2 wins from 14? attempts to beat Championship teams below us in the table - some of those at home, against teams having terrible seasons..... who beat us.

Personally I feel it's pretty pointless pulling the occasional excellent performance out of our backsides if, most of the time, we are dull and mediocre.

Forget season tickets for next year, people are already voting with their feet this season - that's the most telling verdict on this Coachbot.

People aren't interested in him or his football.

And he's going to need some miraculous summer transfers and a flying start to next season to convince people he's got what it takes.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

I understood his post to dispute the points made that we tend to do better against better teams. Hence my post that the cup games should also be included.

Fair enough. I think cup games have to come with their own warning as they are dependent on so many factors - as noted Forest drew with Blackpool and only won the replay in extra time. I’m not sure Blackpool fans are using it as evidence they play better against better teams. I’d always take cup games out of a general form equation in view of team selection, motivation etc. And that’s not a Liam thing btw!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

The penalties are another facet to the "but Vardy missed chances"

If one is context, the so is the other.

Sorry mate, I don't understand what you're trying to get at.

I mentioned Vardy once, in a light hearted comment about him (not) complaining about the accounts be filed. I'm not sure where I've said that his missed chances should be removed from the context of the match.

10 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I mentioned Vardy once, in a light hearted comment about him (not) complaining about the accounts be filed. I'm not sure where I've said that his missed chances should be removed from the context of the match.

To be fair, I got what you were getting at. The context of Leicester possibly getting a points deduction has to be playing on their teams mind a bit and players will be looking at whether they want to be there next year - leading to some natural easing off or loss of focus. And again, if you add in that Leicester have a recent history of late season falling away then there are valid questions over mentality currently and that’s bled onto current form.

None of that lessens the following:

- We played well

- Vardy should have score at least one and you’d expect him to most weeks 

- We could have had two penalties - but I can also see why not given (Conway started outside the box even though definite foul so something should have been given) and the Dickie is both sides wrestling 

All you’re saying is that there was context to why Leicester were below par both against us and recently. Doesn’t mean we didn’t deserve to win though!

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

To be fair, I got what you were getting at. The context of Leicester possibly getting a points deduction has to be playing on their teams mind a bit and players will be looking at whether they want to be there next year - leading to some natural easing off or loss of focus. And again, if you add in that Leicester have a recent history of late season falling away then there are valid questions over mentality currently and that’s bled onto current form.

None of that lessens the following:

- We played well

- Vardy should have score at least one and you’d expect him to most weeks 

- We could have had two penalties - but I can also see why not given (Conway started outside the box even though definite foul so something should have been given) and the Dickie is both sides wrestling 

All you’re saying is that there was context to why Leicester were below par both against us and recently. Doesn’t mean we didn’t deserve to win though!

Yeh pretty much.

Although I'm not just talking about things playing on the players minds. I'm talking about training schedules being disrupted because of the knock-on effects of extra meetings and investigations being held by management. I'm talking about the coaching staff being in bad moods all the time. Chats in physio rooms, WhatsApp threads, and chats with agents.

It's a workplace. People work there. Humans who have moods and emotions and ambitions and opinions. And it's disrupted from the bottom to the top.

Of course that doesn't directly cause Vardy to miss or score his chances, etc. But it's sets the tone and the mood of the players and coaches.

We did well. We took the chance. But the chance was there, in part, because of the wider context. I really don't understand what is controversial about saying this.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Yeh pretty much.

Although I'm not just talking about things playing on the players minds. I'm talking about training schedules being disrupted because of the knock-on effects of extra meetings and investigations being held by management. I'm talking about the coaching staff being in bad moods all the time. Chats in physio rooms, WhatsApp threads, and chats with agents.

It's a workplace. People work there. Humans who have moods and emotions and ambitions and opinions. And it's disrupted from the bottom to the top.

Of course that doesn't directly cause Vardy to miss or score his chances, etc. But it's sets the tone and the mood of the players and coaches.

We did well. We took the chance. But the chance was there, in part, because of the wider context. I really don't understand what is controversial about saying this.

Although you might not mean it this way, sounds like your giving credit for the win to Leicesters own problems rather then the team playing well. 

At the end of the day they are still professional footballers, some of them premier league standard ones. The majority of the context applies to their games against sunderland and hull as well. Who are both above us and failed to capitalise on Leicesters current context and win. 

There is always a chance to get a win, no matter the opposition. But you still have to go out and get it, which is the harder part. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, George Rs said:

Although you might not mean it this way, sounds like your giving credit for the win to Leicesters own problems rather then the team playing well. 

At the end of the day they are still professional footballers, some of them premier league standard ones. The majority of the context applies to their games against sunderland and hull as well. Who are both above us and failed to capitalise on Leicesters current context and win. 

There is always a chance to get a win, no matter the opposition. But you still have to go out and get it, which is the harder part. 

Tbf I don’t think @ExiledAjax is doing this. It’s pretty simple and logical though to state that a fully “on” Leicester beats a fully “on” City 9 times out of 10. All he’s doing is saying they weren’t fully on - for a lot of reasons - and we took advantage and won. You can both give credit for the win but also understand the context which led to the circumstances and that’s all that’s going on here.

Avoidance of doubt - the team played well. As noted, Leicester were below par but you still have to execute and we did.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Street red said:

Easy they put themselves in the shop window manning doesn't need to do anything to motive them in big games. Unfortunately this club and the way it is only performs against better teams(Cup games and Southampton 😂). Unless we get the club performing in EVERY game then we won't get to where we want to be. It says everything about the club perform on the cameras to make us look good. It's becoming tiresome as I've said before. People only take notice of these games and not the bigger picture.

Certainly my suspicion too SR, so we’ll see over the next few games if we revert back to default form.  

Just hoping the squad NP assembled are a bit more professional than some of the wasters we’ve had in the past, but if we turn to shit again on Monday, that’ll tell us a lot on that score.

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Tbf I don’t think @ExiledAjax is doing this. It’s pretty simple and logical though to state that a fully “on” Leicester beats a fully “on” City 9 times out of 10. All he’s doing is saying they weren’t fully on - for a lot of reasons - and we took advantage and won. You can both give credit for the win but also understand the context which led to the circumstances and that’s all that’s going on here.

Avoidance of doubt - the team played well. As noted, Leicester were below par but you still have to execute and we did.

Being a slightly cynical arsehole, I wonder if Manning ever trots out this 10-game scenario when winning like he did when losing to Cardiff (paraphrased) - it was a low quality games and if we play it 10 times we probably win 3 or 4, draw a few….”.

Of course he won’t.

For avoidance of doubt (do we have to put this now?) I enjoyed yesterday, glad we won.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Can you please come and explain stuff to my wife when she doesn't understand me?

@George Rs

For the avoidance of doubt - yesterday was a tactical ******* masterclass. Manning displayed a mastery of strategy not seen since the 424 was deployed by Garrincha et al in the 50s. Combine that with the passion shown by the team now known as "The Lions of Bedminster" and my ******* god Maresca and his boys - devoid of all emotion and worry and as laser-focussed as they obviously were - well they never stood a chance. 71 points are now surely inevitable and Wembley here we ******* come. I'll buy your ticket.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Haha 6

41 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Being a slightly cynical arsehole, I wonder if Manning ever trots out this 10-game scenario when winning like he did when losing to Cardiff (paraphrased) - it was a low quality games and if we play it 10 times we probably win 3 or 4, draw a few….”.

Of course he won’t.

For avoidance of doubt (do we have to put this now?) I enjoyed yesterday, glad we won.

We do now need to put “for avoidance of doubt” because otherwise every Tom, Dick and Cornick thinks we’re being hyper critical. 😂😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It was a great performance and win, undoubtedly.

However, let’s see what happens Monday.

I got carried away after Southampton thinking we’d turned a corner and that was signs of the future.

I still see a side that can play a bit when the opposition presses us, and leaves space to get at. Still nothing to suggest we have a plan to beat the weaker sides, so very little changes on the face of one game.

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

We do now need to put “for avoidance of doubt” because otherwise every Tom, Dick and Cornick thinks we’re being hyper critical. 😂😂

Correction……every Brian, Jon and Liam. For avoidance of doubt obviously.

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

It was a great performance and win, undoubtedly.

However, let’s see what happens Monday.

I got carried away after Southampton thinking we’d turned a corner and that was signs of the future.

I still see a side that can play a bit when the opposition presses us, and leaves space to get at. Still nothing to suggest we have a plan to beat the weaker sides, so very little changes on the face of one game.

After that performance on Friday, Plymouth SHOULD be there for the taking. A fanbase that are as frustrated as ours, we are off the back of the best result possible and best performance for three months imo, they threw a lead away on Saturday and know they could be in the bottom three if we turn them over.

This is where Liam earns his coin. Follow up a great performance and result with one people would EXPECT  in the next game. The minimum expectation has to be a point. Bear in mind Plymouth will not go gung-ho and won’t dominate like a Southampton or Leicester so this is a test for Liam.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

After that performance on Friday, Plymouth SHOULD be there for the taking. A fanbase that are as frustrated as ours, we are off the back of the best result possible and best performance for three months imo, they threw a lead away on Saturday and know they could be in the bottom three if we turn them over.

This is where Liam earns his coin. Follow up a great performance and result with one people would EXPECT  in the next game. The minimum expectation has to be a point. Bear in mind Plymouth will not go gung-ho and won’t dominate like a Southampton or Leicester so this is a test for Liam.

Minimum expectation to lay the demons at rest is surely a win

5 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

I wasn't saying you said that, but that's some of the things others have used to take credit away.

But it was somewhat relevant as all the context you were giving was entirely one sided.

My point was that context around the game should always be given from both points of view, rather than one sided to diminish the performance of the other.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Can you please come and explain stuff to my wife when she doesn't understand me?

@George Rs

For the avoidance of doubt - yesterday was a tactical ******* masterclass. Manning displayed a mastery of strategy not seen since the 424 was deployed by Garrincha et al in the 50s. Combine that with the passion shown by the team now known as "The Lions of Bedminster" and my ******* god Maresca and his boys - devoid of all emotion and worry and as laser-focussed as they obviously were - well they never stood a chance. 71 points are now surely inevitable and Wembley here we ******* come. I'll buy your ticket.

That’s what i like to hear! 😂

Do agree with your point though, we can’t let ourselves get carried away, this result does ultimately change nothing unless Manning has learnt from his mistakes post Southampton and can prove it on monday and going forward. 

• Like 1

On 29/03/2024 at 16:19, Graham76 said:

A wins a win, but Jamie Vardy could have and should have buried us today.  Let’s not get too excited just yet 

Equally we should have had two penalties but didn’t, all ifs buts and maybes. All that counts is what DID happen, we scored and they didn’t . 

On 29/03/2024 at 16:22, Monkeh said:

1 win doesn't correct the absolute shit show before it,

There is still much wrong with the club,

Yeah, was thinking about this earlier.

Manning may or may not pull something out medium term, still has a lot to do.

Those above him, the structure- still a shambles.

• Flames 3

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah, was thinking about this earlier.

Manning may or may not pull something out medium term, still has a lot to do.

Those above him, the structure- still a shambles.

The one above everyone is the real problem.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Superjack said:

The one above everyone is the real problem.

Yeah he is the leader, buck should stop at the top although we were onto a good thing with Gould and NP and his team (Fleming etc) IMO.

For some inexplicable reason, we or more likely Lansdown (I know Gould was replaced by Alexander) changed course post the sale of Scott. Smart thing to do would have been to allocate 40-50% or 1/3 of the Scott money anyway and let Alexander and Pearson get on with it, late summer initially then January.

Maybe some marquee loanees to ice the cake.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah he is the leader, buck should stop at the top although we were onto a good thing with Gould and NP and his team (Fleming etc) IMO.

For some inexplicable reason we changed course post the sale of Scott. Smart thing to do would have been to allocate 40-50% or 1/3 of the Scott money anyway and let Alexander and Pearson get on without it.

Imo the one at the very top has lost interest, his son is clueless, but didn’t take kindly to being told so by the only one who knew what he was talking about.

The head of the academy saw the opportunity by brown nosing the clueless one, to curry favour, push out the knowledgable one, and then be promoted beyond his capabilities . 

Edited by Ashtongreight
  • Like 4
  • Flames 1