IGNORED

Manning in

Curr Avon

3 minutes ago, Super said:

There is no logic. It doesn't matter what's gone on you never should want your team to lose. 

Yes but saying we were getting a hammering doesn’t necessarily equate to, we want them to lose, does it?
 It’s not that wide of the mark to say we’d get a hammering. Was anyone really confident we’d get a win?

Must be such a minority of fans who’d want that, if they exist. 

Just now, steviestevieneville said:

I agree but if they think one hammering might change things for the better long term then I can understand it

That's the thing who knows whether it would be for the better. He'll rightfully be given the start of next season and we'll see where we go. To achieve anything we'll need far more consistency. 

1 minute ago, JP Hampton said:

Yes but saying we were getting a hammering doesn’t necessarily equate to, we want them to lose, does it?
 It’s not that wide of the mark to say we’d get a hammering. Was anyone really confident we’d get a win?

Must be such a minority of fans who’d want that, if they exist. 

Well we beat Southampton so there was a chance today...😂

30 minutes ago, The Coach said:

If we go at Plymouth in the same way we have in recent games. Then we’re back at square one and today’s result means nothing. 

It is one game. It’s now a big challenge for Manning to prepare the team for Monday and build upon today’s performance and result.

Are you a coach? 

17 minutes ago, NewquayRed said:

I think your onto something here, to expect this bloke to take someone else’s team, completely change there mentality and playing style and still compete top half was and still may never happen. I’m actual fact top half may still be achievable.

We’ll lose some and win some in the next few weeks but for me this season was kinda written off in November by the club, hoping for a balls out kinda of pre season.

COYR 

He didn’t need to.  Mentality of the players is one thing imho that’s saved his arse!

• Like 15
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

For me today opens up lots of questions, mainly centred around - why haven’t we played with that intent over the last x games, why have we too readily dropped into a low block, etc, etc?

The opportunity has been there!

I hope he’s learned what works for Bristol City at this level and he kicks on.

I think it's important to point out that he hasn't had the availability of some key players that he used for this performance, most importantly Twine.

The other thing is that to my eyes the players made fewer errors in this game. Vyner made a couple of clangers and James and Max on one occasion, but the sharpness and accuracy in our play was of a higher standard.

Irrespective of where the block is, we've been progressing through the lines/thirds quite nicely recently but really lacking in the final third. Today we had more quality, albeit Conway doesn't have his cutting edge right now.

Not saying you're wrong, just chucking some extra context in.

I think 10th is beyond us now but I'd love to see push for 11th, and finishing above Cardiff is essential.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Super said:

That's the thing who knows whether it would be for the better. He'll rightfully be given the start of next season and we'll see where we go. To achieve anything we'll need far more consistency. 

At this point that worries me. Ok, he can set up against better sides all be it  a small sample size so far . But have proved today and a sided from Hampshire who we beat that he can block off but also get after & show some attacking intent . The major worry is he hasn’t shown that against bottom half clubs. This win probably means he’s cemented his job for the summer. Again a big worry is the rumours that James & williams are going plus I really don’t trust tinnion to convince players good enough to come to us . Also ,what type of players are we after ? Are we going to set up negatively next season ? If it goes tits up by November then we got a reshaped squad & another new man  coming in. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He didn’t need to.  Mentality of the players is one thing imho that’s saved his arse!

If a new coach came to a side you played in and significantly altered how the side played would this require a change in mentality? 

Edited by Cowshed

5 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

At this point that worries me. Ok, he can set up against better sides all be it  a small sample size so far . But have proved today and a sided from Hampshire who we beat that he can block off but also get after & show some attacking intent . The major worry is he hasn’t shown that against bottom half clubs. This win probably means he’s cemented his job for the summer. Again a big worry is the rumours that James & williams are going plus I really don’t trust tinnion to convince players good enough to come to us . Also ,what type of players are we after ? Are we going to set up negatively next season ? If it goes tits up by November then we got a reshaped squad & another new man  coming in. 

Good win both, but Saints and Leicester both in shaky form when visiting. Played both at a good time.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Some context needs to be considered as well. Leicester are having a pretty major crisis right now. They're facing 3 financial cases, their women's coach has just been sacked for inappropriate relationships, the board aren't really engaged with the owners, the players are grumbling at Maresca's workload demands, they've struggled to get results, and their rivals (Leeds in particular) have reeled them in from what was, at one point, an 18 (eighteen) point lead.

Each of those issues might in isolation be irrelevant, but as a melange of problems they are all having an impact.

Well done to us for capitalising on that today, but as I said a while ago, I actually don't think this was the surprise result that it will be painted as.

My heart bleeds for them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Original OTIB said:

Good win both, but Saints and Leicester both in shaky form when visiting. Played both at a good time.

Leicester yes. Soton were unbeaten in about 25 games. No doubt Leicester have been on a dodgy run. This is why I enjoy the wins obviously but would rather look at a run of games . Would anyone be surprised if we got done at Plymouth ? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Curr Avon said:

Despite supposedly losing the dressing room, being out of his depth, and boring I'd say our manager deserves a lot of credit for today's excellent victory against Premier League bound Leicester.

Although I expect several of you to disagree.

You seem very wet behind the ears calm your self down its litrally 1 win you will be fuming again if we get walloped by Plymouth stop trying to be a teachers pet.

• Haha 3
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

You seem very wet behind the ears calm your self down its litrally 1 win you will be fuming again if we get walloped by Plymouth stop trying to be a teachers pet.

I don't fume anymore, its a waste of energy.

And I don't need to calm down, thanks. I'm quite measured these days. Tune in to the FBC podcast at 6pm on YouTube tonight and find out.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mozo said:

I think it's important to point out that he hasn't had the availability of some key players that he used for this performance, most importantly Twine.

The other thing is that to my eyes the players made fewer errors in this game. Vyner made a couple of clangers and James and Max on one occasion, but the sharpness and accuracy in our play was of a higher standard.

Irrespective of where the block is, we've been progressing through the lines/thirds quite nicely recently but really lacking in the final third. Today we had more quality, albeit Conway doesn't have his cutting edge right now.

Not saying you're wrong, just chucking some extra context in.

I think 10th is beyond us now but I'd love to see push for 11th, and finishing above Cardiff is essential.

Where the block is set is important because it can dictate where you have opportunities to win the ball back.

14 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

If a new coach came to a side you played in and significantly altered how the side played would this require a change in mentality? 

I was more erring to their mental strength, ability to battle, not be soft as shite.

58 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

It doesn't need to be a direct impact. I'm not saying that Vardy has been storming into the accounts room demanding that they file the 22/23 accounts.

People are petty, egos are fragile, and issues cause ripples.

If you honestly think a sexual relationship between the women’s team will in anyway effect the men’s team then you are to put it nicely a nutter 

• Haha 2
  • Flames 1

Just now, Curr Avon said:

I don't fume anymore, its a waste of energy.

And I don't need to calm down, thanks. I'm quite measured these days. Tune in to the FBC podcast at 6pm on YouTube tonight and find out.

Tbf I do listen to that podcast regularly it's a good listen so all credit where it's due, but I think we all know how city play against the better sides that open the game up. For me even though its Leicester this win can't be used as a gauge of any progression it's the Plymouth, Blackburn, Huddersfield, Rotherham and Stoke game that will truly tell us if we are starting an upword trend under Manning that can be further cultivated during pre season and added to in the transfer market.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

I think we should use Manning in the was an American football team uses a field goal expert.

Have him on a retainer, bring him in as Head Coach whenever we play a team in the top 6 (or a Prem team in the cup) but have someone else in charge for games against the rest.

The notion of just 1 Head Coach is outdated imo, we could revolutionise the game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 2

It was a good performance. Having both Roberts and Pring on the left side worked well. Knight looked far more effective in midfield with James rather than upfront with Conway. Dickie continued to add to his “player of the season” reputation, Max was excellent at shot stopping and a bit more flaky with his distribution (nothing new there) while Mehmeti finally scored with his left foot. We were lucky that Leicester and particularly Vardy forgot their shooting boots today, but even so we were better on the break and with this less possession, neither of which should surprise anyone who has seen us this season. It’s not a new dawn, it’s more a reprise of what we know can work, although Tommy desperately needs someone else upfront with him, if he is to ever start scoring regularly from open play again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Despite supposedly losing the dressing room, being out of his depth, and boring I'd say our manager deserves a lot of credit for today's excellent victory against Premier League bound Leicester.

Although I expect several of you to disagree.

I thought we played well - but I had the nagging feeling we won essentially due to Leicester being on poor form. I doubt they’d have missed the chances they did if they were on form.

Our game plan worked though, Manning got that right. Lots of managers would’ve subbed Mehmeti off before his goal - good to see Manning stick with him and it paying off.

I’m far from convinced but he deserves credit for today - he got it right.

• Robin 1

It’s all nonsense. As it always is. Win a game and the pro-x spout their pro-x stuff, whilst the opposed half-heartedly offer flimsy praise whilst reaffirming their doubts. Vice versa applies, clearly.

Let’s be clear, it’s a great result, but both teams had chances and Vardy could have had a hat trick. The reality is people make their minds up and then manoeuvre conversation to fit. Which is a shame, as there’s much more credibility to be had in saying my opinion is x, I accept that has been/could be shown to be wrong and I am changing my opinion, than my opinion is x, it’s played out differently but here are my qualifiers why.

Today doesn’t prove that Manning is the man, but it does prove that those who have decided he isn’t are highly unlikely to genuinely revise their view.

Edited by S_C
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

Despite not being convinced by LM , it was much, much better today from start to finish - fair play to the LM, his staff but more importantly, the players 👍

I’m now really interested to see how we play on Monday and whether we can back up this display and result……

It’s an important period for LM and the club - we desperately need some “feel good” factor back, leading to hopefully, strong ST sales as we head into the summer…..

Edited by Loosey Boy

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I was more erring to their mental strength, ability to battle, not be soft as shite.

You Dave? That was not answer to the question.

Not every individual relishes change, not every individual instantly adopts challenge and growth states. Change does require a change in mindset. Players appear to have struggled with change, the performance levels, the intensity of their sorry sorry behaviours has not been on a consistent level, and that is from observation of some games, not all. This does not make players soft as shite.

Edited by Cowshed

3 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

It was a good performance. Having both Roberts and Pring on the left side worked well. Knight looked far more effective in midfield with James rather than upfront with Conway. Dickie continued to add to his “player of the season” reputation, Max was excellent at shot stopping and a bit more flaky with his distribution (nothing new there) while Mehmeti finally scored with his left foot. We were lucky that Leicester and particularly Vardy forgot their shooting boots today, but even so we were better on the break and with this less possession, neither of which should surprise anyone who has seen us this season. It’s not a new dawn, it’s more a reprise of what we know can work, although Tommy desperately needs someone else upfront with him, if he is to ever start scoring regularly from open play again.

Agreed! Im not convinced at all by manning, but to bring twine in and lose him for all those games has been a hanmer blow to the way he wants us to play. With him/ a championship level number 10, plus the big striker, we could be a different proposition.

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Our game plan worked though, Manning got that right. Lots of managers would’ve subbed Mehmeti off before his goal - good to see Manning stick with him and it paying off.

100% this. Just need to string a few together now

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I thought we played well - but I had the nagging feeling we won essentially due to Leicester being on poor form. I doubt they’d have missed the chances they did if they were on form.

Indeed, they are in poor form, in form Vardy scores at least one.

Back it up Monday and belief will build. Happy for that to happen but Argyle need points so could be a slog.