IGNORED

Plymouth Argyle away match thread

3 minutes ago, redkev said:

I agree with the majority of what you say but I don’t buy into this if Leicester had brought there shooting boots blah blah city had just as many chances as they did given in my opinion there was deffo 2 poss 3 pens we should could of had 

Correct, got my halves confused

11 minutes ago, McNasty Filth said:

Said this to a mate at the ground on Saturday. He looked as though he was playing on a different wavelength to the rest of the team then, caught on his heels and way to slow to react to what were good balls into space down the line.

Not sure what it is tbh, but at a guess I'd say the guy defo know he's out the door, maybe even knows the club with both sides having agreed a prelim fee already.

On current form it would be a league 2 club , 

perhaps it’s the manning style not suiting him I don’t know but he’s not doing it for me at the moment , saying that he is a young lad finding his way , I think if he resigned himself to signing a new contract and stay here for a couple of seasons it would in the long term be better for him. Would like nothing more for him to sign a new deal get his head down and rediscover himself 

3 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

I don’t think that people were immediately on his back. He clearly was not helped by the background of his appointment nor some of the rhetoric that came from the club when he was appointed. Arguably that’s not a fair element to judge him by, but football is passionate and passion does not always bring about rational and fair minded thought.

I think some of the performances and the results that have gone with them have not helped. He’d managed to conjure some dreadful stuff on the pitch, and then followed that up with poor post match interviews where he fell back to his mantra, emotions, behaviours, blah blah. 

Perhaps he is turning it around, although I don’t think he’s done enough to be in credit yet. He has averted some pressure and given himself more time and probably the opportunity to bring in players as all managers want to do. That’s ultimately what he’ll be judged on

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head in your first paragraph

in regards to the “dreadful stuff” we’ve had to put up with that for the majority of the last five years and is not something he is going to change overnight, all I’ve been saying is give him a bit of time (not three months) then judge him

56 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

U turns would imply people now think LM is definitively is the right person for the job, having previously been desperate for him to go. Not sure there are many signs of that change in view, but people can recognise performances for what they are, good and bad. If @W-S-M Seagull comes on demanding a 10 year contract for LM, fair enough. Overall I remain very unconvinced, but last two games have been solid/strong performances, so if that progress continues, all good. Never quite reached wanting him out, equally a long way from expecting great things next season - with a fair wind I’ll be wrong. 

Two 1 nil wins against teams out of form does not and will not change my opinion that he is not the right fit for us. I'm very much still of the opinion that he needs to go now to give the new guy time to work with the squad this season. 

I remain incredibly concerned that he's going to be allowed to rip up this decent squad and then bring in 'manningball players' and that we'll then be looking at a relegation battle.

It's likely that we may well see the likes of James and King leave because he doesnt quite understand the importance their experience brings because he doesn't see football that way. Once those players are gone, they are gone. That's why I fear we'll end up in e relegation battle.

I can't comment on today's game as I only saw little bits of it. 

At the moment it just seems like another streak which he likes to do. Lose X amount in a row and then win X amount in a row. 

It's going to take an awful lot to convince me that he can take us forward (having taken us backwards) 

I think there are critical deficiencies in his management that are terminal for him here. 

• Like 7
  • Facepalm 1
5 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Two 1 nil wins against teams out of form does not and will not change my opinion that he is not the right fit for us. I'm very much still of the opinion that he needs to go now to give the new guy time to work with the squad this season. 

I remain incredibly concerned that he's going to be allowed to rip up this decent squad and then bring in 'manningball players' and that we'll then be looking at a relegation battle.

It's likely that we may well see the likes of James and King leave because he doesnt quite understand the importance their experience brings because he doesn't see football that way. Once those players are gone, they are gone. That's why I fear we'll end up in e relegation battle.

At the moment it just seems like another streak which he likes to do. Lose X amount in a row and then win X amount in a row. 

It's going to take an awful lot to convince me that he can take us forward (having taken us backwards) 

I think there are critical deficiencies in his management that are terminal for him here. 

Not knocking your post as we all have differing opinions but firstly - who would you bring in 

secondly if James does go who I think is such an important cog in how we play how do you know it’s manning who doesn’t want him here , there are rumours he e

wantsto move closer to Manchester and also perhaps he’s not happy with any contract that he may or may not have been offered , not everything can put shoved in mannings lap - by the way in still not convinced in manning 

5 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think you are wrong here. As soon as James was fit he was straight back in the starting lineup, so I think LM very much appreciates what he brings to the team. The difficulty will be in the contract that the club wishes to put forward, I suspect that with one eye on coaching badges then James will want to hang around.

King less so, we’ll have plenty of cover next season in midfield, and arguably keeping Williams would be better than King from a playing perspective.

14 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head in your first paragraph

in regards to the “dreadful stuff” we’ve had to put up with that for the majority of the last five years and is not something he is going to change overnight, all I’ve been saying is give him a bit of time (not three months) then judge him

He’s got the time now… I hope your optimism is correct.

53 minutes ago, chinapig said:

"When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?" (attributed to J M Keynes)

Changing your mind when evidence justifies it is a strength not a weakness, despite what politicians claim. I try to form opinions based on (sufficient) evidence rather than take a fixed position and stick to it.

I wouldn't say there is sufficient evidence in Manning's favour over his tenure so far and pleased though I am with successive wins I'll wait for more evidence I think.

Which seems reasonable to me.

Yep, pretty much the main principles of how science works. A good scientist will never say "this is how it is" but instead will say "this is what we currently know". The same can, and should, apply to everything in life from politics to football analysis 

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, mozo said:

Spot on, and there have been a few games where we've fluffed our lines in the final third and not won the game, so how far do you go with the ifs, buts and maybes?!

All down to results, if buts and maybes make up the post match chat. We won’t be talking about this season’s matches next season. Apart from when the club releases the Southampton anniversary one off shirt…

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

A lovely day out in Devon.

Great to see us beat a poor team, Plymouth didn’t look anywhere near the goal threat they looked at Ashton Gate. Even though they lost that 4-1 they came very close a number of times that night. Today they never looked like scoring. Hope they stay up though. 

Cheeky, you.

I was about to like that post until I read the last five words! 

Back to L1 for the janners please!

• Haha 2
26 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

You've never given him a chance from day one for obvious reasons.  He's not going anywhere and rightly so.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, 2015 said:

The kid isnt as good as he thinks he is imo.

We don't play to his strengths, so it's become a bit difficult for me to appreciate how good he is recently.

Some of the issues might be partly of his own making, but it's upsetting that it's not working out for him here.

I've got to the stage where I almost want him to leave for his own benefit.

big thing proved to me today is the players werent just playing up to the cameras. not much incentive for them beating a crap plymouth team.

however,they have helped manning secure his place so sort of suggests they do like him. weve all seen dead rubbers played out in previous seasons,too many in recent years, today didnt seem like one. they wanted to win

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

big thing proved to me today is the players werent just playing up to the cameras. not much incentive for them beating a crap plymouth team.

however,they have helped manning secure his place so sort of suggests they do like him. weve all seen dead rubbers played out in previous seasons,too many in recent years, today didnt seem like one. they wanted to win

Players don’t need to play up for cameras anymore, this isn’t 1992 anymore. 

Every game is possible to be watched now days. 

48 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Cheeky, you.

I was about to like that post until I read the last five words! 

Back to L1 for the janners please!

I’m home from an away day earlier than I am for a home game and with Torquay almost in the same league as Bristol Manor Farm we need all we can get.

And we’ve done the double on them and I had a gorgeous pasty! 

1 hour ago, McNasty Filth said:

Said this to a mate at the ground on Saturday. He looked as though he was playing on a different wavelength to the rest of the team then, caught on his heels and way to slow to react to what were good balls into space down the line.

Not sure what it is tbh, but at a guess I'd say the guy defo know he's out the door, maybe even knows the club with both sides having agreed a prelim fee already.

Ofcourse his heart isn’t in it - he’s off to Rangers in the Summer. Worst kept secret in the EFL - loose lips sink ships.

1 hour ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

Players don’t need to play up for cameras anymore, this isn’t 1992 anymore. 

Every game is possible to be watched now days. 

Obviously you can watch any game but a game being broadcast on Sky TV is going to get a lot more attention than one on Robins TV or iFollow, hence the argument (which I don't agree with) that we only put in a performance when we're on Sky

• Flames 1
1 hour ago, 22A said:

Every  silver lining has a cloud.

City could have climbed one place higher over Cardiff today, but having taken the lead, Coventry scored two own goals. 😡

They got a late winner at Sheffield Wednesday just before Christmas too with an own goal, goal in a draw v Plymouth own goal- they seem to benefit from a few.

2 hours ago, Super said:

You've never given him a chance from day one for obvious reasons.  He's not going anywhere and rightly so.

Never given him a go because I've never felt he was the right fit for us and that still stands to this day.

Rightly so 🤣🤣🤣 you're acting like we've just won the league. 

BTW, I'm glad that you and all the others have suddenly remembered your login details. I was getting worried.

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Haha 2