IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

On 18/02/2017 at 17:50, Clevedon Red said:

It's all going tits up for Bristol Sport.

Just a thought.  If there is a double Bristol sport relegation double , a chance to get rid of high earners ?  Or players not wanting to drop a league , so with them off the wage bill , and potentially if city, and the rugby are successful the crowds will be quite good , maybe in the lower leagues there could be a higher profit margin ? I take the point tv money maybe less ! 

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 14:51, Barrs Court Red said:

It may well be a horror show.  But then you never know, it could be a glorious victory for the plucky under-dogs!

Looks like Bath are going to be massively weakened on Sunday. Every little helps: http://m.bathchronicle.co.uk/bath-rugby-francois-louw-and-kahn-fotuali-i-banned-for-foul-play-and-will-miss-bristol-clash/story-30153406-detail/story.html  

• Like 1

Also we now have the new "training consultant" Solomon on board til the end of the season to mix things up with a fresh pair of eyes. Could possibly be the last roll of the dice but one that had to be made nonetheless. I did see over 13k tickets have been sold so probably about 16k there on the day.  

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Also we now have the new "training consultant" Solomon on board til the end of the season to mix things up with a fresh pair of eyes. Could possibly be the last roll of the dice but one that had to be made nonetheless. I did see over 13k tickets have been sold so probably about 16k there on the day.  

Which is dreadful. At a minimum this fixture should attract 20k, but between the abysmal rugby produced by the club and the ticket prices set by BS it just ain't gonna happen.

I just can't wait for the season to end now,  a complete and utter shambles.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Which is dreadful. At a minimum this fixture should attract 20k, but between the abysmal rugby produced by the club and the ticket prices set by BS it just ain't gonna happen.

I just can't wait for the season to end now,  a complete and utter shambles.

The thing is I had a quick browse of other clubs and their ticket prices PL rugby (Bath, Harlequins and the like). Not too different really...

Leicester Tigers for example- lowest adult price £28!! That is if you book on a terrace in advance. Lowest. £18 in fact another one says but still...that's the lowest category of game with an advance booking.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

Blimey Gav is back*

Bristol Rugby team to face Bath Rugby at Ashton Gate on Sunday, 26 February (1pm KO):

15. Jason Woodward; 14. David Lemi, 13. Will Hurrell, 12. Siale Piutau, 11. Tom Varndell; 10. Gavin Henson, 9. Alby Mathewson; 1. Ryan Bevington, 2. Marc Jones, 3. Anthony Perenise, 4. Dan Tuohy, 5. Ian Evans, 6. Mitch Eadie, 7. Jack Lam, 8. Jordan Crane (c).

Replacements: 16. Max Crumpton, 17. Jack O’Connell, 18. Jamal Ford-Robinson, 19. Sam Jeffries, 20. Nick Fenton-Wells, 21. Rhodri Williams, 22. Tusi Pisi, 23. Jack Wallace.

*for  about 15 minutes 

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Blimey Gav is back*

Bristol Rugby team to face Bath Rugby at Ashton Gate on Sunday, 26 February (1pm KO):

15. Jason Woodward; 14. David Lemi, 13. Will Hurrell, 12. Siale Piutau, 11. Tom Varndell; 10. Gavin Henson, 9. Alby Mathewson; 1. Ryan Bevington, 2. Marc Jones, 3. Anthony Perenise, 4. Dan Tuohy, 5. Ian Evans, 6. Mitch Eadie, 7. Jack Lam, 8. Jordan Crane (c).

Replacements: 16. Max Crumpton, 17. Jack O’Connell, 18. Jamal Ford-Robinson, 19. Sam Jeffries, 20. Nick Fenton-Wells, 21. Rhodri Williams, 22. Tusi Pisi, 23. Jack Wallace.

*for  about 15 minutes 

Don't they announce the teams early in Rugby? we don't usually get ours until 30 minutes before the game.

On 23/02/2017 at 11:10, Mr Popodopolous said:

The thing is I had a quick browse of other clubs and their ticket prices PL rugby (Bath, Harlequins and the like). Not too different really...

Leicester Tigers for example- lowest adult price £28!! That is if you book on a terrace in advance. Lowest. £18 in fact another one says but still...that's the lowest category of game with an advance booking.

Your missing out the fact that Bristol have the unenviable task of raising the average crowd from 6k to seemingly above 16k. 

Given the fact that matches seem pretty evenly split between Fridays and Sundays, they're not attractive as an option to anyone that can't make fixtures on those days, which leaves forking out for the match day prices. 

It seems SL has realised this, but seems to think the Championship is attractive enough to launch "aggressive pricing". He's wrong. 

I reckon looking at the teams Bristol have a very good chance of winning this one, the backs bris have put out are too good to be in a relegation fight and i can see them winning. With regards to the tickets, Sarries are overjoyed at getting over 10k for their game this weekend so that puts things into perspective, i doubt you'll find many other bottom clubs getting 14k plus week in week out

7 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Your missing out the fact that Bristol have the unenviable task of raising the average crowd from 6k to seemingly above 16k. 

Given the fact that matches seem pretty evenly split between Fridays and Sundays, they're not attractive as an option to anyone that can't make fixtures on those days, which leaves forking out for the match day prices. 

It seems SL has realised this, but seems to think the Championship is attractive enough to launch "aggressive pricing". He's wrong. 

That is a good point, a fair point- all of it. I would personally reduce prices by say £5 per stand immediately and see how it looks.

If we had a terrace like some other rugby stadia we could reduce it further. Friday and Sunday doesn't help- Sunday is more convenient as most people are off, should if at all possible get a greater balance split for a Sunday games.

Agreed. I went to a few games last year and I was shocked at just how small a League the Rugby Championship was. I absolutely was, saw an article on it a few momths back and was surprised- part time players, lots of sides happy with attendances of 1,000- 2nd tier of English rugby, wow.

As for the growth- 6k last year yup, read we get 13.5k this season so we're on our way. Wasn't aware of the 16k target truth be told but IF we can somehow survive this year, 16k next year with the right tweaks- and maybe a greater balance of games on Sunday from Friday would surely help a fair bit. For Championship well such a tiny League attendances would plummet.

44 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That is a good point, a fair point- all of it. I would personally reduce prices by say £5 per stand immediately and see how it looks.

If we had a terrace like some other rugby stadia we could reduce it further. Friday and Sunday doesn't help- Sunday is more convenient as most people are off, should if at all possible get a greater balance split for a Sunday games.

Agreed. I went to a few games last year and I was shocked at just how small a League the Rugby Championship was. I absolutely was, saw an article on it a few momths back and was surprised- part time players, lots of sides happy with attendances of 1,000- 2nd tier of English rugby, wow.

As for the growth- 6k last year yup, read we get 13.5k this season so we're on our way. Wasn't aware of the 16k target truth be told but IF we can somehow survive this year, 16k next year with the right tweaks- and maybe a greater balance of games on Sunday from Friday would surely help a fair bit. For Championship well such a tiny League attendances would plummet.

The standing point is interesting, it was promised as part of the move over yet seems increasingly unlikely. It would certainly encourage some sort of atmosphere, as at the moment it's flat. You don't get as annoyed by the steady procession of people heading the the bar either!

Personally I thought that they raised prices too soon, and never really gave it time to get people coming more often than not, a habit I guess.  

1 hour ago, Barrs Court Red said:

The sort of strategy I thought Bristol would take 

IMG_0184.JPG

It`s a difficult one. I have heard that their ground is nowhere near full most games despite an incredible amount of STs being sold - the theory being that you can afford to miss over half the games if you have one and a lot don`t bother with the less attractive fixtures like Port Vale on a wet Tuesday.