IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

1 minute ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Go on then, I'll bite. I love rugby, as a sport I prefer it to football, I just tend to be more passionate about my attachment to football teams. When it comes to watching a sport as a neutral, I would choose rugby every time. I don't think Rovers stole the ground form the club, I do think however, that the rugby was woefully mis -managed for a long, long time.  Sadly top flight rugby is going the same way as top flight football, which was inevitable was TV got interested in the game. I'm more of a local rugby supporter (I was at Dings yesterday) than a Bristol supporter, but I certainly care about Bristol rugby.

Also I've seen Dings a few time and prefer the lower league stuff as well.

I used to watch Worthing play Dings and other sides etc etc well when I'm home! 

1 minute ago, Tears in rain said:

Also I've seen Dings a few time and prefer the lower league stuff as well.

I used to watch Worthing play Dings and other sides etc etc well when I'm home! 

I think we had our claim to fame when Joe Marler mentioned the Dings in an interview about dodgy places he played at when he was with Worthing!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I think that's the problem. Lansdown just doesn't 'get' rugby. To him Bristol are just an extension of City, and it really, really annoys me (maybe that's what he wanted) WTF was the point of adding a bit  of red to the kit? I'm all for a local big shot (and realistically Lansdown is the only one who fits the bill) coming along to help our local rugby club do well, but at least try and get a bit of understanding about the game, it's traditions and ethics.  Rant over.

Lansdown has been a rugby fan a lot longer than he has been a football fan. Part of the reason he got involved in football was because of his son.

But let's not turn this into a Rugby V football debate.

Lansdown isn't the reason for their bad form this season. The rugby club has a history of being badly managed and Lansdown came along and saved them, turned them into a professional outfit and has given them a free top class stadium and is about to build a new training ground.

I don't know much about the internal goings on at the rugby club but if your looking for someone to blame I'd look at a few others who have been around since the bad times.

The red on the kit I quite like, it's classy and it ties in with the red stadium. The point is they play in a red stadium so as the colour of the stadium is not going to me changed it makes sense to embrace it whilst keeping the traditional colours. 

What's the difference between that and when the rugby club sold its soul to Mitsubishi? Oh didn't they have red on their kits back then? Quite predominantly if I remember. Didn't the hoops disappear too?? But I suppose that's all that is OK because a local rich person who has pumped millions into the club that he cares passionately about is far far worse because he's added a bit of red to the kit.

Im sure he gets the traditions, that's why he's turning our bloody main stand into a Rugby clubhouse! 

The only criticism I have of Lansdown is that he has been too trusting of the advice he receives. He doesn't run the football club or rugby club, he's in Guernsey puffing away on a huge Cuban, he leaves it to the people who he believes can run a club successfully and that imo is where the problem lies. The football club and rugby club never want for anything, Lansdown will always give what he's asked to give.

This season was always going to be tough for Bristol. By the time the season ended they couldn't hardly sign anyone. They really needed to get through this season.

Just now, JBFC II said:

shows how much of an influence Pat Lam is going to be, money probably had something to do with it as well....

Lam is a huge draw, whatever league Bristol are playing in.  Nonetheless, half a million Euro a year for a guy who has never been a number one fly half - crazy money. Madigan is a very talented player but - imo - he's never shown that he can control a game from 10 on a consistent basis.

In his defence, he really stepped up for us against France in the last World Cup when Sexton went off. His goal kicking is excellent too.

2 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Lam is a huge draw, whatever league Bristol are playing in.  Nonetheless, half a million Euro a year for a guy who has never been a number one fly half - crazy money. Madigan is a very talented player but - imo - he's never shown that he can control a game from 10 on a consistent basis.

In his defence, he really stepped up for us against France in the last World Cup when Sexton went off. His goal kicking is excellent too.

http://www.bristolrugby.co.uk/news/ian-madigan-signs-three-year-deal-at-bristol-rugby/

Been confirmed

Hopefully we can put Gav into a coaching role next season and maybe as a back up in case of injury then have madigan as first choice with searle as our number 2, we really need a good goal kicker who can play week in week out and hopefully a season in the championship will allow madigan and luatua to gel with the others so we are ready for the premiership

4 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

The Evil Post are reporting that none of the new guys have a relegation clause. Bristol should absolutely monster the Championship next season.

Either that or they've had a nod that the Premiership is going to be expanded next season (it's been rumoured for a while) and there'll be no relegation. The only shareholders in Premiership Rugby (or wherever its called) who aren't in the top flight are comfortably 1st and 2nd in the Championship

Edited by chipdawg

I do get the feeling there will be no relegation.  The amount SL has spent and would Lam be coming if we were a championship side?  He may not have a choice now mind!

However, we can monster the championship all we like - but if we cock it up in the playoffs again, there's no point.

Edited by Lordofthebling

52 minutes ago, Lordofthebling said:

I do get the feeling there will be no relegation.  The amount SL has spent and would Lam be coming if we were a championship side?  He may not have a choice now mind!

However, we can monster the championship all we like - but if we cock it up in the playoffs again, there's no point.

The playoffs are no more.

Lam bought into a project in Galway after getting the curly finger in Auckland, I don't think he'd have any problem spending a year in the Championship for another long-term assignment (especially given what Bristol are probably paying him). Sorting out Bristol should be a piece of cake in comparison to what he's done with Connacht.

1 hour ago, chipdawg said:

Either that or they've had a nod that the Premiership is going to be expanded next season (it's been rumoured for a while) and there'll be no relegation. The only shareholders in Premiership Rugby (or wherever its called) who aren't in the top flight are comfortably 1st and 2nd in the Championship

It's possible, but we've been waiting for that development so long that I'm starting to think it won't happen. Especially after the Championship promotion announcement the other day, as @JBFC II says above. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MichaelRobartes said:

The playoffs are no more.

Lam bought into a project in Galway after getting the curly finger in Auckland, I don't think he'd have any problem spending a year in the Championship for another long-term assignment (especially given what Bristol are probably paying him). Sorting out Bristol should be a piece of cake in comparison to what he's done with Connacht.

It's possible, but we've been waiting for that development so long that I'm starting to think it won't happen. Especially after the Championship promotion announcement the other day, as @JBFC II says above. 

We'll see I guess. Take Irish and Leeds our of the Championship, not sure who there is that would meet the promotion requirements- especially if they got 'beefed up'. It might come to nothing, but it'd certainly be the opportunity to do such a thing, if that is indeed what the authorities are looking to do. Bristol certainly seem to be building a top flight team for next season

Edited by chipdawg

15 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

We'll see I guess. Take Irish and Leeds our of the Championship, not sure who there is that would meet the promotion requirements- especially if they got 'beefed up'. It might come to nothing, but it'd certainly be the opportunity to do such a thing, if that is indeed what the authorities are looking to do. Bristol certainly seem to be building a top flight team for next season

I agree that it would make sense to do it now if they had any notion of expansion and ring-fencing. I just don't see it so soon after the announcement about automatic promotion from the Championship, it would make everyone involved look pretty silly.

10 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Lansdown has been a rugby fan a lot longer than he has been a football fan. Part of the reason he got involved in football was because of his son.

But let's not turn this into a Rugby V football debate.

Lansdown isn't the reason for their bad form this season. The rugby club has a history of being badly managed and Lansdown came along and saved them, turned them into a professional outfit and has given them a free top class stadium and is about to build a new training ground.

I don't know much about the internal goings on at the rugby club but if your looking for someone to blame I'd look at a few others who have been around since the bad times.

The red on the kit I quite like, it's classy and it ties in with the red stadium. The point is they play in a red stadium so as the colour of the stadium is not going to me changed it makes sense to embrace it whilst keeping the traditional colours. 

What's the difference between that and when the rugby club sold its soul to Mitsubishi? Oh didn't they have red on their kits back then? Quite predominantly if I remember. Didn't the hoops disappear too?? But I suppose that's all that is OK because a local rich person who has pumped millions into the club that he cares passionately about is far far worse because he's added a bit of red to the kit.

Im sure he gets the traditions, that's why he's turning our bloody main stand into a Rugby clubhouse! 

The only criticism I have of Lansdown is that he has been too trusting of the advice he receives. He doesn't run the football club or rugby club, he's in Guernsey puffing away on a huge Cuban, he leaves it to the people who he believes can run a club successfully and that imo is where the problem lies. The football club and rugby club never want for anything, Lansdown will always give what he's asked to give.

This season was always going to be tough for Bristol. By the time the season ended they couldn't hardly sign anyone. They really needed to get through this season.

Fair enough. I will confess that Lansdown not really being a rugby fan was an assumption on my part, if you know different then I apologise to him. The red on the kit thing still seems like him trying to do it just because he can type of thing, which I just find petty and annoying.It does look like Bristol have ****** it now anyway, however surely they can't fail to come straight back up now that the play offs are being scrapped. The -incredibly rich- RFU need the premiership to be a successful franchise they can sell tv rights for, so it wouldn't surprise me to see a closed shop soon with no relegation or promotion, and they will do all they can to make Bristol a part of that.

2 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

I agree that it would make sense to do it now if they had any notion of expansion and ring-fencing. I just don't see it so soon after the announcement about automatic promotion from the Championship, it would make everyone involved look pretty silly.

I don't think it'd be 'ring fenced', I think they'd either make the financial and stadium rules so strict that promotion was practically impossible, or they'd have a 'hiatus' to allow the leagues to adjust. It certainly doesn't appear that they're considering it at the minute though, just seems like the perfect opportunity if a 14 team league is the aim

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

I fear for the crowd levels next season. I certainly won't be getting a season ticket at the existing prices.

Yeah, thinking about it surely prices will need to come down given Championship rugby next season? They can't continue at the current POTD price levels. £30 for a game of C'ship rugby :laugh:.

16 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I would suggest attendances of 5-6k next season IF they go down. Still one of the best in the Championship as that League is tiny but 5-6k probably a likely marker for most games.

How can it be financially viable to having them playing in a stadium with 20k spare seats? 

They really need their own smaller stadium (share with BCFC women etc) and then come to AG when they are likely to attract a big crowd.

6 hours ago, Up The City! said:

How can it be financially viable to having them playing in a stadium with 20k spare seats? 

They really need their own smaller stadium (share with BCFC women etc) and then come to AG when they are likely to attract a big crowd.

Dunno about salary cap rules in that League, if any exist. Presumably will look to get rid of the dross players, rebuild on a smaller quality side and milk hospitality and the like for all it's worth.

Perhaps a smaller stadium maybe an idea but would SL want to bear the cost? 5-6 k or so is a good indicator though, is exactly what happened last time they were at that level and of course clubs at that level have so few fans they bring even less away!