IGNORED

General Election...

Coin-op

lets hear your social impact of immigration then

my main gripe about the national assembles is that england is the only nation without one, and the scots,welsh and n.irish are able to vote in parliment on matters that only affect england. However, english mps are unable to vote in the other natinal assembleies.

England should have one national assembley, not several regional assemblies, such as presscots n.east one.

I am totally against the E.U. The english culture is so different to the continent. And so are politics. The e.u is a super state waiting to happen, although it will probably collapes when the turks are accepted. Due to the religious and culturel differences. And the current veto system in place.

I also don't like the fact the E.u can give us rules to live by.

Did the people of britain vote in the spainish president? no. and know here is president of the union. In charge of the e.u rules and regulations that govern us. Surley the british goverment should be rulling us?

Britain will never have any clout in europe. but outside the union we will have. We will be in charge of our boarders, sea's foriegn poilcy, and our overstreched armed forces will not be proping up the the proposed eu army. Where the hell would a eu army be deployed?

my main gripe about the national assembles is that england is the only nation without one, and the scots,welsh and n.irish are able to vote in parliment on matters that only affect england. However, english mps are unable to vote in the other natinal assembleies.

England should have one national assembley, not several regional assemblies, such as presscots n.east one.

I am totally against the E.U. The english culture is so different to the continent. And so are politics. The e.u is a super state waiting to happen, although it will probably collapes when the turks are accepted. Due to the religious and culturel differences. And the current veto system in place.

Did the people of britain vote in the spainish president? no. and know here is president of the union. In charge of the e.u rules and regulations that govern us. Surley the british goverment should be rulling us?

Britain will never have any clout in europe. but outside the union we will have. We will be in charge of our boarders, sea's foriegn poilcy, and our overstreched armed forces will not be proping up the the proposed eu army. Where the hell would a eu army be deployed?

Do you have any idea about punctuation, grammar or spelling? Maybe people would take your views more seriously if they weren't presented in such an incoherent way.

well seen as my education has largley been under the labour goverment i have never really ever been taught to spell, (i guess the useless lifeskills lessons and RE got in the way. however i managed to get two B's in English) or use grammer correctly, and also i don't really have the time to proof read my posts. My posts get my point across though.

I am sorry my punctuation is not up to your standards andyjones but my Education under this goverment was laughable.

So if you want to save the nations children  don't VOTE LABOUR.

just look how poor the bristol education system is!

I will strive to improve my grammer, as it is obviousley giving the wrong impression.

There is such a thing as PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY my friend. You can't blame EVERYTHING on the Government, much as you'd like to. You have two B's in English? Words fail me.

There is such a thing as PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY my friend. You can't blame EVERYTHING on the Government, much as you'd like to. You have two B's in English? Words fail me.

Also, i should point out is that i rush what i write on the forum.

I do take personnal responsibilty in what i do. i manage to wake up all by myself in the morning, and also i can remember to wash my hands after going to the bathroom.

I also manage not to understand that when people are writing on a forum they are not writing there coureswork, so spelling is not always up to standards.

If i didn't have personnal responsibility, then i would not currently be at 6th form, nor would i be repleying to your posts on my grammer. I know i'm not the best speller in the world, but i also know that being taught compulsary music art and drama for three years, when i'm shocking at them all, that i could of been learning somthing else.

Also, i should point out is that i rush what i write on the forum. 

I do take personnal responsibilty in what i do. i manage to wake up all by myself in the morning, and also i can remember to wash my hands after going to the bathroom.

I also manage not to understand that when people are writing on a forum they are not writing there coureswork, so spelling is not always up to standards.

If i didn't have personnal responsibility, then i would not currently be at 6th form, nor would i be repleying to your posts on my grammer. I know i'm not the best speller in the world, but i also know that being taught compulsary music art and drama for three years, when i'm shocking at them all, that i could of been learning somthing else.

Good luck with the rest of your life. And stop taking the p*ss out of the Chinese kid, it isn't nice.

The taking of the pi~~ works both ways. The two chinese kids are into maths and are amazing at it. So they take the mick out of me at my failings there.

Race isnt an issue, there mates, we get hammared together, and my group of freinds all take the mick out of each other when it is deserved, crappy haircuts, football teams losing.

Guest WillsbridgeRed
There is such a thing as PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY my friend. You can't blame EVERYTHING on the Government

Yes Andy, we agree on something - the individual seems to accept no blame in modern society.

Sorry for late reply hilltop- bit busy at moment.

Not quite sure what you are asking for here. My views on the social impact? In which case I don't think there's overly much to talk about. I totally refuse to accept the idea that we shouldn't accept immigrants due to social tensions. As I have said before- such issues are ONLY a result of pernicious fear tactics of extremists. A proper, educated debate on it would not cause such issues. I DO believe that immigrants should have to live within the law of the country just as anyone else does- and on the whole this is the case. I also believe that a country that accepts the best skills and brains from across the world will be a country that leads this world into better times.

I am totally against the E.U. The english culture is so different to the continent. And so are politics.

I don't accept this. Culturally I think we are far closer to the Germans, Benelux countries and Scandinavians than any other country i.e. the US. And I know it depends on personal values and beliefs- but I would far rather the world be led by European thought than American. And I also think it is naive to believe that our country can compete globally on our own.

I certainly think there has to be clearly defined limits on what the EU can and can't say. But again these rules can often help this country- but the nature of the media means that we will only ever read about the ones that many think don't help us.

Britain will never have any clout in europe

Again I think you're being unnecessarily negative. The French enthusiasm for Europe is waning and so we have a real opportunity to take advantage. I have concerns about the EU and believe there are issues that need addressing but my general philosophy on it is this- I am patriotic. I love this country, I am proud of this country and I believe this country can offer and achieve a great deal. I am NOT happy with us being a subordinate to the USA, I am not happy with us slowing down and floating off into insignificance in the Atlantic. We can achieve so much and I think people should show more faith and positivism in our country. So let's take the lead in Europe. We can be a constructive force, allowing our country as well as the rest of Europe to get far more from each other. With energy, enthusiasm and positivity Europe and the UK will offer each other so much.

i also know that being taught compulsary music art and drama for three years, when i'm shocking at them all, that i could of been learning somthing else.

The amount of time spent at school on music, art, drama, DT etc is ridiculous. Offer kids the chance to learn these things- but don't force them. I too wasted many hours pressing "demo" on the keyboard in music lessons, burning cakes in the H.E. room and drawing stick figures that looked like they'd been in a car crash.

I think we SHOULD have a subject called something like "personal safety and first aid" where you learn basic first aid, fire prevention, what fire extinguishers are which etc. So that we could possibly help ourselves or others should we ever need to.

And also spend more time on Science, English, History, BASIC Maths (how to add up properly- not how to work out was x= or how long one side of a damn triangle is!)

The amount of time spent at school on music, art, drama, DT etc is ridiculous. Offer kids the chance to learn these things- but don't force them. I too wasted many hours pressing "demo" on the keyboard in music lessons, burning cakes in the H.E. room and drawing stick figures that looked like they'd been in a car crash.

I think we SHOULD have a subject called something like "personal safety and first aid" where you learn basic first aid, fire prevention, what fire extinguishers are which etc. So that we could possibly help ourselves or others should we ever need to.

And also spend more time on Science, English, History, BASIC Maths (how to add up properly- not how to work out was x= or how long one side of a damn triangle is!)

I agree with you you on this. Because i was poor at the art subjects, and knew i never wanted a career in them it wasted many hours during and after school.

I think the time could of been spent better on languages. I don't think i would ever be able to hold a conversation with a french person.

Also the basic maths ponit is a very good one. As the x= and triangle lengths was covered in physics.

quote=Percy Parrot,Apr 15 2005, 12:34 AM]The amount of time spent at school on music, art, drama, DT etc is ridiculous. Offer kids the chance to learn these things- but don't force them. I too wasted many hours pressing "demo" on the keyboard in music lessons, burning cakes in the H.E. room and drawing stick figures that looked like they'd been in a car crash.

Yes Andy, we agree on something - the individual seems to accept no blame in modern society.

Because of one comment on the education i have recieved, automatically means i accept no blame in modern society? laugh.gif

I worked damn hard to get a place in 6th form. Not one GCSE below a 'C', and i got geography student of the year. Know i'm working hard to get the grades for uni, or a modern apprentiship.

Because spelling is no longer at the top of the curriculem, is the goverments fault. Students are having to learn to spell on thier own. Being sent home with 10 words to learn for next weeks lesson for a month, is not learmning to spell.

I know very little about politics but I won't be voting Tory that's for sure. The town which I live Westbury is a bonafide Conservation zone and the snooty folk get on my nerves.

Lib Dem or Labour I guess.

You should not be allowed to vote with that attitude. For god's sake did you read anyone's policies ?

The Lib Dems will tax your more Labour will as well? The cost of provision of social housing etc has gone down as more people are employed, so why do people find it so hard to belive we should be paying less tax?

I feel you should make an informed choice or not vote at all!! I was talking to a self employed gentleman not 4 days ago and I said would you vote conservative he said no! what did that bitch maggie ever do for me? This comming from a man that had directley benfitted from conservative policy in the 1990's and is conciderably richer than me? So I asked him did she not foster the climate in which you made your money? well yes he replied but she's was the bitch who brought in the poll tax? Hang on is that not just another version of local income tax a per person local tax and did the cons not listen to public opinion and change their ways (I recall far more people turning out to protest against the war and a certain Mr Blair just doint it anyway).

Tony Blair is lying like a cheep whore about not raising tax just listen to his words, "I WILL NOT RAISE INCOME TAX" well that leaves about 6 other main stream taxes that are wide open to abuse to fill Labours black hole. And that dose not take into account the Re-Evaluation of council tax bands......

All I ask is don't vote with emotions vote with your brain and make and infromed choice about what mark you make as it will effect all of your futures.

Frankley if you vote anyone but conservative don't come moaning about tax.

What's so wrong with paying taxes? I have never understood why people in this country make such a song and dance about paying their taxes. Our overall level of taxation is actually fairly low compared with most of Western Europe.

taxation in Sweeden is 70%, here it is around 22%. people in scandinavia don't mind paying extra money as they are happy with their economic and social policies.

What's so wrong with paying taxes? I have never understood why people in this country make such a song and dance about paying their taxes. Our overall level of taxation is actually fairly low compared with most of Western Europe.

It's not tax per say but what you get for your tax. I personally generate around £40k in tax per year for the government, thats more than most people earn. That would become a lot more under the Lib Dems or Labour. So you tell me why if I vote to stop tax rises and to stop the utter waste that Labour have created I'm a bad man?

I'm self employed and work like a little blue assed fly, I have just bought my first house as I have not always been as well of as I am now and have payed of a large sum of debt incured in my student years (and not so fotunate years). However I now have a large mortage and a small amount of debt to service.

Under the Lib Dems both I and my partner who have a fair house we are about to move into would both pay a large amount of money into a local income tax paying for relif of the other 75%, streching an up and down income to the max. Where as the man next door in his 50's with a single income and lower mortage pays less than me. Frankly thats not fair at all it's random and punitive and younger professials like myself and my partner will be screwed by a local income tax (but because were the other 25% no one will give a damn)

But who cares about tax?

I DO! I pay loads more than Joe average and the Lib Dems want to take me in the ass from behind. Labour will just do it to me after slipping me some GHB in a pre election budget.

taxation in Sweeden is 70%, here it is around 22%. people in scandinavia don't mind paying extra money as they are happy with their economic and social policies.

22% where did you get that from? the I'm a numpty book of economics...

You pay 17.5% VAT on all that you buy thats not deem essential.

You pay arround 60p per litre on fuel.

You pay 22% basic tax and you abviously forgot NI that busts your 22% strait away at 11% thats a third of what you earn less your allowances

You also get taxes on your pension

And tax by your local government.

And the best bit is tax on your savings as Labour reduce the amount of tax free saving you can have.

I make that 33%+ and thats just off the top of my head ?

Then theres your TV licence, your car TAX, oh and if someone dies your Inheritance tax, ahh beer tax as well...

This is an artical from 1999... hmmm 2 years after Labour first came to power

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/your_money/504554.stm

This is what people with real knowledge think of Labour.

http://www.accountancyage.com/news/1139965

OK I have had a read and found out that the current level of tax burden in the UK is ....... between 35% and 40% at a guess as these things don't get calculated that often.

http://www.accountancyage.com/news/1137609 <-- because I'm cinical and older now, look how the uk tax burden droped in 2002 after the election budget of 2001 :/ even then it was 35%.

But what you can see is we are taxed quite in line with other EU countrys give or take a few percent.

22% where did you get that from?  the I'm a numpty book of economics...

it was my Policits lecturer at uni.

(i only pay NI when i work in the holidays, because i'm a student}

i guessed by your expertise of what you have just written above that he's wrong. however, we did both put 22% at one point, you saying that basic tax is 22%, so i am guessing that is what he meant..

Jesus they'll let anyone lecture nowadays.  He's probably a hippy and want's to poison your young mind with nonsense so you will vote Lib Dem, I on the other hand am a capitalist and realist and want you to make a sensible choice.

don't worry mate, there is more chance of me being the son of Mother Theresa than me voting Lib Dem. I to am a capitalalist and in support of how us and the yanks live..

as for my lecturer, he's alright, he does know his stuff, like you said you aint an economist, i aint judging your knowledge, you don't have to have all the PHD's in the world to understand macroeconomics / social policy and all that. However, he knows his stuff..

I expect most of the time, i am not listening to him, just goes to show how much effort i put into it, what with it being on a monday afternoon, i'm too busy thinking about how City could have been better on the previous saturday, or why i drank that much Snaky on Sunday.

22% where did you get that from?  the I'm a numpty book of economics...

You pay 17.5% VAT on all that you buy thats not deem essential.

You pay arround 60p per litre on fuel.

You pay 22% basic tax and you abviously forgot NI that busts your 22% strait away at 11%  thats a third of what you earn less your allowances

You also get taxes on your pension

And tax by your local government.

And the best bit is tax on your savings as Labour reduce the amount of tax free saving you can have.

I make that 33%+ and thats just off the top of my head ?

Then theres your TV licence, your car TAX, oh and if someone dies your Inheritance tax, ahh beer tax as well...

This is an artical from 1999... hmmm 2 years after Labour first came to power

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/your_money/504554.stm

This is what people with real knowledge think of Labour.

http://www.accountancyage.com/news/1139965

OK I have had a read and found out that the current level of tax burden in the UK is ....... between 35% and 40% at a guess as these things don't get calculated that often.

http://www.accountancyage.com/news/1137609 <-- because I'm cinical and older now, look how the uk tax burden droped in 2002 after the election budget of 2001 :/  even then it was 35%.

But what you can see is we are taxed quite in line with other EU countrys give or take a few percent.

Two points - 1 = don't forget some of us have to pay 40% income tax!! (Grrr)

2 = your first link from accountancy age doesnt seem overly negative to me. It seems as though, if over 50% have given him a B or C (pass grades!) then they cant be too upset... One thing he has done is completely reformed the corporation tax systems (for the better in my view) and he has without question built a strong economy and lowered unemployment levels.

Now, I am 23 right now and I would suggest that by the time I am 25 we will have seen a fairly drastic increase in taxes. I also think however that they will be closer linked to earnings and, whilst I may moan about paying 40% income tax (& 11% NI meaning I get less than half of every extra £ I earn ranting.gif ), it is fair that I pay more than those who earn less. I am with the Lib Dems on introducing a 50% tax band.

Protest about what, exactly?

Membership of UKIP is almost exclusively made up of small minded parish councillors from Buckinghamshire called Basil or Percy. If you want to vote for them then that's your choice, but what a waste of a vote.

Mr Jones: As a resident of said Buckinghamshire, I'd take issue re the above. the UKIP don't have much support here-however in Bedfordshire they DO have some support, well quite a bit actually.

In reply to other posts on this thread:

Re employing East Europeans as bus drivers/truckers etc- they cant fill those posts with Brits.

If they make the wages up as someone else said, profits go down, and they wont employ-we now live in a world where any jobs in Britain, W Europe, and the USA can be done cheaper by Indians, Chinese and the other tiger economies of E Asia-(indeed by new members of the EU from E Europe)labour costs are going to be an issue for years to come in our western economies.

Also there don't appear to be many takers to do the jobs our parents did-all of us want better lives, but we all still want the same services....Polish truckers and bus drivers are needed. Economic facts of life we all better ourselves, as our parents did, and the West Indians came here in the first place to fill jobs we didnt wanna do.

As to the immigrants arguement-they come to Britain for three reasons:

1.The exceedingly generous benefit system for asylum seekers,change that, and the numbers will drop like a stone.If you got 6 months to learn written German/Dutch, while staying in a hostel/hotel, on welfare only, noncompliance results in you being thrown out, or the choice of coming to England where you get generous payouts and no hassles about culture/language-where are you going to go?

2.English is the most widely spoken tongue in the world after Chinese-aint many German, Italian, Polish, Dutch speakers in the world-and a manadatory requirement to residence of any type for non EU citizens in any of those countries. Most African, Asian, and some other countries have English as a second tongue in the school system. France, & Spain are having this exact discussion as well for the same reasons-and they apply the Mandatory language requirement too. It all comes as a result of Britains Great imperial past, which is a back handed compliment to us all. Its legally easy to emigrate to the UK legally than most other countries too

3.People like black Zimbabweans ARE genuine refugees, and decide like generations of refugees before them, to settle, as the opputunities are much better than they would have in their neighbours.

WMD's aside, was invading Iraq such a bad thing?

it has cost the lives of British soldiers that have not done anything wrong, we were bullied into it by the Yanks, yes i prefer the yanks to the Europeans but i can't see why we should help them in warfare where they have lied to get us there.

But why Suddam Hussein, if he had WMD that he could launch in 45 mins,why didn't he use them.

And what about all the other dictators in the world, if the Yanks are promoting a FAIR DEMOCRACY to all states in the world, pop over to Zimbabwe, North Korea and anywhere else where a liberal Democracy aint a priority. {north korea have admitted to having them, or is Cold War 2 going to happen if the Yanks try it on with a state that acutally has wmd's}

That war was / is for control of the oil plantations and it has cost the lives of young army recruits.

I admit, had any WMD been found, i'd have eaten my words because i don't wanna trust an Iraqi with any biological / chemical weapons.

I know i have gone on about WMD's {when you said apart from WMD}, but why else did we go to war. simple Operation Iraqi Liberation aka OIL.

As i am a student, i expect to be leathered with posts saying that us students are green peace supporters and promote peace through the world and vote Lib Dems. but i aint, I'm all up for fighting against terrorism, but i don't see how Suddam Hussein had anything to do with September 11th. unless there is something that you guys know that i don't.

WMD's aside, was invading Iraq such a bad thing?

Wills, right war, wrong timing.........as usual the Yanks aint thought about it.....should have cleared Afghanistan out properly, with the assistance of most of the free world...almost all the NATO (including three out the four most hostile to the war in Iraq -Germany, France & Belgium) countries, and other free world democracies were/are helping in the hunt for Bin Laden and Al Queda. Then take out Tinnion saddam, Iran would take care of any antics he could have pulled, and a few USAF/RAF air attacks, should he have delusions of granduer re Saudi, Kuwait or Israel.

Iraq was the Americans first, and had 9/11 not taken place, only target.

BUT the Yanks are honest enough to say what they are going to do, unlike very many other countries-they do not do subtleties or diplomacy.

A lot of the post war casualties have been caused by an inept administration, and far too much gung ho horlicks from their military. The mere fact of the majority of allies either never having helped or increasingly pulling their troops out, is indicitive of doubts even among close allies-and something the UK should seriously plan for now-it aint the Yanks picking up the slack after Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Polish, and Ukrainian troops start pulling out, we've been asked, and our incumbent muppet cant or wont say no-despite significant over stretch of our own forces.

For you anti war types-I do not agree with your views at all-countries in the free world, all have a duty to back the US, on occasions like this, either by behind the scenes diplomacy, or by military assistance- not pompous self righteous waffle, pandering to crude predjudice amongst the Leftist elites.

Removing dictatorships, no matter where they be, what political persuasion, religious affiliation or ethnic composition, is a good thing, because, it stops maniacs like Bin Laden, Hitler, Stalin, Mugabe, Kim Il Sung et al threatening others-everyone seems to forget the decade of appeasement in the 30's, and the damage that did to all nations.....and stop some of the massive movement of refugees all over the place- if they have hope, then they have a future, with a dictator they have little or none- the only people who CAN help, and the industrialised free world democracies, not pious waffle in the UN. THAT irrelevant organization couldnt even stop 330,000 whites in Rhodesia, exporting their wares all over the globe, and importing military equipment in defiance of a total sanctions embargo, for 18 years, surrounded on three sides by a hostile Black Africa, and a cynical oppertunist South Africa to the South-what chance against a malevolent N Korea, Serbia, Iraq, Iran, or Syria? backed by significant elements of Arabic society, the hard left in the free world?

Archived