IGNORED

Academy Again

Guest ashtonyate

Academy players are a part of the club, and if they succeed they are a long-term part. I like the continuity of it.

It may well be more cost effective in the short term to get premiership rejects from the exit trials, such as the bargain Scott Brown, but I like to see young players being brought through - as part of the club.

The team may benefit from a mixture of experience and youth, but I would rather see the promise of Cole Skuse than the mercenary has-been that was Tony Dinning.

I have been reading this forum for some time, but until now did not feel the need to register.

Ashtonyate - Why oh why do you talk such crap, if you want to talk about something at least find the time to get the facts rather than drivelling on about something you know little about.

I have been fortunate enough to know the person that runs the acadamy and have only last week been having a conversation about the acadamy as i always wondered what it cost and what players we were attracting for our money etc.

I can assure you all that the academy costs our club per year is less than 500 season tickets. This is after grants that we receive for having an academy.

The academy currently has several exiting prospects (not my words but that of their coach) that we would not have attracted if we had no academy. If we really want to get out of this division and push on it is essential that we invest in our youth. We as a club cannot afford to buy in players all the time, as you correctly pointed out Ashtonyate, we are in debt, caused not by the academy but via buying players and their associated higher wages that they attract. Our academy is playing at the top level and are outplaying premier opposition. This is where are players of the future will come. Do you really think that the likes of Cotterill would be playing for us without the academy. I have it on good authority that this was the reason he chose us. This player alone will pay for at least 5 years worth of academy costs assuming that we sell him, not to mention the other players that we have brought through the academy which was a sound investment. Cole Skuse will according to the coaches that brought him on, be worth at least a million in the very near future. Purely as a financial person myself, the acadamy has more than paid for itself over the years since it was started.

So Ashtonyate, stop talking crap. If you want to balance an argument based upon the actual costs then fine. But i do not know anyone that has a financial background that would agree with an argument to do away with the academy. We need to support our stars of the future and we can only do this by having a good infrastructure in the form of an academy. We should also congratulate the coaches for their fantastic performance in getting so many players into the first team, which is what their job is. It is then doen to the rest of the cub to develop them then. By the way we have brought through our academy a player that is the youngest ever (beating Giggs) to play for his country, we as a football club will benefit financially from this, assuming that the directors of this football club are able to do their job. In any business ( which we are in ) there are different levels to the management structure, you appear to be blaming everything on the academy when i think you are looking in the wrong direction. Unfortunately, the management of our club at the top has caused the financial position that we are currently in. The academy is a way of helping our financial position not hindering it.

You keep on about exit trials can only be atteded by Academy clubs that is untrue it is where players who have been through the academy system and are not going to be offerd a contract any club can go to them

Firstly - exit trials are the players who other clubs don't think are good enough. Picking through them is not going to get us anywhere in the long term. And as Frank said, young players will always go to a club with an academy over a club without one. Young players need games, the academy system is the only way they get regular structured football against decent opposition. They'll take whichever deal gives them the chance to play the best standard of football knowing full well that will help them develop best and ultimately lead to a more successful and lucrative career. They're not advised by idiots.

I've only told you this 3 or 4 times so I understand why it hasn't sunk in yet.

We may have made a profit this year but you cannot single out one year, you have take the past years in to account

So do you, but you ignore them. You keep bleating on about how we have so few players right now from the academy, but you forget how many players it's produced over the years. You keep bringing up players who've left the club as though that detracts from the academy but it doesn't. You keep ignoring the fact that the clubs around us without an academy are not producing young players.

In the last 10 years Rovers have produced ONE, ONE player from their youth sides who seemed to have any talent. He signed for Chelsea last summer. They're languishing in the depths of the fourth division.

What does that tell you? Scrap the academy I guess.

Here's a fact for you Ashtonyate. The cost of the academy has gone down every single year since it was started and last year was in the black for the first time, why should we close it now?

You quote our back four, woodman came through the academy we bought Partridge for Good price cheaper than had he came through the academy Orr came on a free and Sankofa will go back to Palace so i don't know what your point is with that

Partridge wasn't cheaper than an academy player he cost 150k transfer fee, on a 3 year 2-3 grand a week contract. Signing on fee is usually something like 10-15% of the value of the contract ie anywhere from 30-60k. If he sees out his contract he will have cost us a total of 500-700k. He can then leave for nothing. 3 years of Dave Cotterill isn't costing us anywhere near that. You will just ignore this though because you don't have an answer to it.

The thing is Ashtonyate, you're stating opinions as if they're fact without giving anything to support them, and you're ignoring everything that people post which disproves your opinions. That's why people get so frustrated, it's like debating with a recording.

Nibor

Guest pentlandsl

Stop replying to him, it gives him the oxygen to peddle his tripe and wind everyone up - he is probably giggling to himself at how easy it is.

Mind you, I suppose it gives him something to do rather than fill in Job Applications . . .

Guest ashtonyate

I have been reading this forum for some time, but until now did not feel the need to register.

Ashtonyate - Why oh why do you talk such crap, if you want to talk about something at least find the time to get the facts rather than drivelling on about something you know little about.

I have been fortunate enough to know the person that runs the acadamy and have only last week been having a conversation about the acadamy as i always wondered what it cost and what players we were attracting for our money etc.

I can assure you all that the academy costs our club per year is less than 500 season tickets. This is after grants that we receive for having an academy.

The academy currently has several exiting prospects (not my words but that of their coach) that we would not have attracted if we had no academy. If we really want to get out of this division and push on it is essential that we invest in our youth. We as a club cannot afford to buy in players all the time, as you correctly pointed out Ashtonyate, we are in debt, caused not by the academy but via buying players and their associated higher wages that they attract. Our academy is playing at the top level and are outplaying premier opposition. This is where are players of the future will come. Do you really think that the likes of Cotterill would be playing for us without the academy. I have it on good authority that this was the reason he chose us. This player alone will pay for at least 5 years worth of academy costs assuming that we sell him, not to mention the other players that we have brought through the academy which was a sound investment. Cole Skuse will according to the coaches that brought him on, be worth at least a million in the very near future. Purely as a financial person myself, the acadamy has more than paid for itself over the years since it was started.

So Ashtonyate, stop talking crap. If you want to balance an argument based upon the actual costs then fine. But i do not know anyone that has a financial background that would agree with an argument to do away with the academy. We need to support our stars of the future and we can only do this by having a good infrastructure in the form of an academy. We should also congratulate the coaches for their fantastic performance in getting so many players into the first team, which is what their job is. It is then doen to the rest of the cub to develop them then. By the way we have brought through our academy a player that is the youngest ever (beating Giggs) to play for his country, we as a football club will benefit financially from this, assuming that the directors of this football club are able to do their job. In any business ( which we are in ) there are different levels to the management structure, you appear to be blaming everything on the academy when i think you are looking in the wrong direction. Unfortunately, the management of our club at the top has caused the financial position that we are currently in. The academy is a way of helping our financial position not hindering it.

Ever one knows a bloke and this bloke runs the academy if that is true he is alway going to play up the good side if this bloke is real let me meet him if you know him

Guest ashtonyate

If you do Know this bloke ask him how much each player cost the club when they sign their contract at the end of their academy life this must include all who have not made

If you do Know this bloke ask him how much each player cost the club when they sign their contract at the end of their academy life this must include all who have not made

No, you ask him.

Go to an academy game and all the relevant staff will be standing at the side of the pitch. I'm sure they'll answer your questions.

My money says you don't get off your arse and do your own research.

Guest ashtonyate

I'm sure he would love to meet anyone interested in the academy, and would be happy to meet any doubters. how about at an Academy game? he's bound to be there!

No? didn't think so.......

all hot air, and no substance to anything you say!

yea i am sure he would like an indepth talk at a academy match

yea i am sure he would like an indepth talk at a academy match

Afterwards they would be only to happy to talk I'm sure.

But keep coming up with your feeble excuses, it makes it funnier for the rest of us.

Guest ashtonyate

Firstly - exit trials are the players who other clubs don't think are good enough. Picking through them is not going to get us anywhere in the long term. And as Frank said, young players will always go to a club with an academy over a club without one. Young players need games, the academy system is the only way they get regular structured football against decent opposition. They'll take whichever deal gives them the chance to play the best standard of football knowing full well that will help them develop best and ultimately lead to a more successful and lucrative career. They're not advised by idiots.

I've only told you this 3 or 4 times so I understand why it hasn't sunk in yet.

So do you, but you ignore them. You keep bleating on about how we have so few players right now from the academy, but you forget how many players it's produced over the years. You keep bringing up players who've left the club as though that detracts from the academy but it doesn't. You keep ignoring the fact that the clubs around us without an academy are not producing young players.

In the last 10 years Rovers have produced ONE, ONE player from their youth sides who seemed to have any talent. He signed for Chelsea last summer. They're languishing in the depths of the fourth division.

What does that tell you? Scrap the academy I guess.

Here's a fact for you Ashtonyate. The cost of the academy has gone down every single year since it was started and last year was in the black for the first time, why should we close it now?

Partridge wasn't cheaper than an academy player he cost 150k transfer fee, on a 3 year 2-3 grand a week contract. Signing on fee is usually something like 10-15% of the value of the contract ie anywhere from 30-60k. If he sees out his contract he will have cost us a total of 500-700k. He can then leave for nothing. 3 years of Dave Cotterill isn't costing us anywhere near that. You will just ignore this though because you don't have an answer to it.

The thing is Ashtonyate, you're stating opinions as if they're fact without giving anything to support them, and you're ignoring everything that people post which disproves your opinions. That's why people get so frustrated, it's like debating with a recording.

Nibor

Prem clubs let players go who they don't think are going to make it in the prem like Orr, Gillespy, keown, but they are good enough for our league and the next

I don't know how many more times i must say this Exit trails are for players who have past through their clubs academy and are not going to given a contract so could not play in academy match anyway

Why are you worried about the Rovers they are not in debt like us I don't care where we get our players from as long as they can play

Cottrell has sign a contract until he is 21/22 then its if we can keep him after that, like Matt Hill got experance with us, having to put up with his mistakes week in and week out soon as he start to improve his off

I used to play for City academy, it was a few years ago now but the setup then was still good. It has got even better since joining up wit City of Bristol Academy. Ashtonyate the players will come, some already have. Can you say that every academy in the country has worked? Luck has something to do with it also eg ManU wit the two Neville's, Scholes and Beckham and West Ham with J Cole, Fredinand and Carrick to name two instances.

Cente of Excellence will not be the right option. Just look at Rovers (although improvements are finally being made). Youngsters are picking City over Rovers at the moment because of the academy. Plus if City didn't have an academy, the best youngsters will go to the Midlands or Southampton.

Your Under 18's at the moment probably have some of the best youngsters in the West Country at the moment, they will come through but whats the point in rushing them?

That was my 1st post!

Gashead 89 :whistle:

Prem clubs let players go who they don't think are going to make it in the prem like Orr, Gillespy, keown, but they are good enough for our league and the next

I don't know how many more times i must say this Exit trails are for players who have past through their clubs academy and are not going to given a contract so could not play in academy match anyway

Why are you worried about the Rovers they are not in debt like us I don't care where we get our players from as long as they can play

Cottrell has sign a contract until he is 21/22 then its if we can keep him after that, like Matt Hill got experance with us, having to put up with his mistakes week in and week out soon as he start to improve his off

So would you like to go and speak to the person responsible at the academy.......either way Steve L will soon be confirming what everyone is telling you.

Only clubs with Academy Status are invited to the Premiership exit trials!!! These are events that are held which showcases young talent due to be released by Premiership clubs..

Why can you not understand that you have got this wrong???

YOU HAVE NOT COME UP WITH ONE FACT TO BACK UP ANY POINT YOU HAVE MADE!

Guest ashtonyate

I used to play for City academy, it was a few years ago now but the setup then was still good. It has got even better since joining up wit City of Bristol Academy. Ashtonyate the players will come, some already have. Can you say that every academy in the country has worked? Luck has something to do with it also eg ManU wit the two Neville's, Scholes and Beckham and West Ham with J Cole, Fredinand and Carrick to name two instances.

Cente of Excellence will not be the right option. Just look at Rovers (although improvements are finally being made). Youngsters are picking City over Rovers at the moment because of the academy. Plus if City didn't have an academy, the best youngsters will go to the Midlands or Southampton.

Your Under 18's at the moment probably have some of the best youngsters in the West Country at the moment, they will come through but whats the point in rushing them?

That was my 1st post!

Gashead 89 :whistle:

I will take your post as true tell me this did any other club look at you and make you an offer

Guest ashtonyate

So would you like to go and speak to the person responsible at the academy.......either way Steve L will soon be confirming what everyone is telling you.

Only clubs with Academy Status are invited to the Premiership exit trials!!! These are events that are held which showcases young talent due to be released by Premiership clubs..

Why can you not understand that you have got this wrong???

YOU HAVE NOT COME UP WITH ONE FACT TO BACK UP ANY POINT YOU HAVE MADE!

Put the question to him on his forum page then he can back up what you are saying

dodgying the point...........yet again!!

http://www.bcfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Squad...,,10327,00.html

http://www.bcfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Squad...,,10327,00.html

Some light reading for you about the Academy.................

face it..........it doesn't matter what YOU think, the board and the majority of fans know the Academy is VITAL for the club........The Academy is here to stat and if you don't like it your better of finding another club to support!

More nonsense, and I note you completely ignored the point about costs since you're wrong.

Exit trials are for players which have not made the grade for the next year at their academy, or if they are 19 have not been offered a pro contract. Players at the trials will take the highest level of football they can. A League one club with an academy will be miles above a league one club without and therefore we will attract better players. If we didn't have an academy we'd be limited to the players at the trials who all the clubs who did have one didn't want. This is very very simple.

If you want players who can play why do you persist in arguing that we should not have an academy since we CLEARLY produce better young players from that than our rivals pick up as cast offs?

Cotterill's contract runs until summer 2008 at which point he will be 20. If he doesn't sign a new one then we will be entitled to compensation for him since we've spent money on developing him. More compensation I might add than we'd get if we didn't have an academy.

Matt Hill was a very good player at this level for us for several years before he left, we got more than our money's worth out of him. His leaving has absolutely nothing to do with the academy.

Honestly, if this is the best you can do you should find a new hobby horse and quickly.

Nibor

Guest ashtonyate

More nonsense, and I note you completely ignored the point about costs since you're wrong.

Exit trials are for players which have not made the grade for the next year at their academy, or if they are 19 have not been offered a pro contract. Players at the trials will take the highest level of football they can. A League one club with an academy will be miles above a league one club without and therefore we will attract better players. If we didn't have an academy we'd be limited to the players at the trials who all the clubs who did have one didn't want. This is very very simple.

If you want players who can play why do you persist in arguing that we should not have an academy since we CLEARLY produce better young players from that than our rivals pick up as cast offs?

Cotterill's contract runs until summer 2008 at which point he will be 20. If he doesn't sign a new one then we will be entitled to compensation for him since we've spent money on developing him. More compensation I might add than we'd get if we didn't have an academy.

Matt Hill was a very good player at this level for us for several years before he left, we got more than our money's worth out of him. His leaving has absolutely nothing to do with the academy.

Honestly, if this is the best you can do you should find a new hobby horse and quickly.

Nibor

No I respect your view but do not agree with it, if Cotterill does not sign for us he will proable go for less than it cost us to develop him that why we accepted the money from Preston for ayanisy?

Sorry Matt Hill became a better than average player after spending a few years making a load of mistakes leaning his trade with us then when he started to improve was sold for 100k

As I keep saying before Bosman an academy was worth having after Bosman waste of time for a third division club

As I keep saying before Bosman an academy was worth having after Bosman waste of time for a third division club

Yes, you keep saying it because you aren't particularly bright.

Guest ashtonyate

I was scouted by Rovers and my old manager has told me Charlton were also looking at me. However nothing came of this with either club.

If City and Charlton had both offer you a contract who would you have gone with and why

Only clubs with Academy Status are invited to the Premiership exit trials!!!

Actually, as far as I'm aware all clubs can go to the "assessment trials" as they are properly known. This includes scouts from American universities. Whether Academy clubs get first choice I don't know, but the likelihood is that any player wanting to improve his chances of a good career will choose to join a club with the best set up so an Academy is an advantage.

I'm tempted to apologise for backing up Ashtonyate, but since his beliefs about the exit trials are even more wrong than yours I don't think there is any need. Infact, Ashtonyate's giant red shouting message about the exit trials doesn't actually make sense so I've no idea what he's going on about.

No I respect your view but do not agree with it, if Cotterill does not sign for us he will proable go for less than it cost us to develop him that why we accepted the money from Preston for ayanisy?

Sorry Matt Hill became a better than average player after spending a few years making a load of mistakes leaning his trade with us then when he started to improve was sold for 100k

But we had no choice with Joe A as he was out of contract...........you would know this if you actually went to matches and did something apart from moan all the time!

Again..............you haven't back up a single one of your points!

Where as everyone else has backed up with valid points, if you had a valid point or actually backed up your point with a valid explaination, them people might listen to you.

So are you going to watch an academy game?

Guest ashtonyate

Lillis beefs up cattle market

THEY have been described as a "cattle market," a "heartbreak hotel" and even as a "last-chance saloon" and the FA has even changed their name to give them a more positive spin.

But the Premier League's assessment trials, formerly known as the "exit trials", remain a blend of heartache and hope, of shattered dreams and rekindled desire.

Every year, for three days, up to 60 young footballers, released by their clubs in the final year of their Academy training, gather for the trials at the National Sports Centre in Lilleshall, in a bid to impress a gathering of scouts and representatives of US universities.

Their hopes of a contract with a Premiership club dashed, they are fighting for the chance to cut a deal with a Football League club, or in Scotland or Ireland.

Former Manchester City star Mark Lillis was one of the coaches invited by the FA to help out with the trials - and with good reason. Lillis himself faced the misery of being released by the Blues as a 14-year-old, only to force his way back into the game with Huddersfield before moving back to Maine Road ten years later.

He went on to play for Derby, Aston Villa, S****horpe, Leicester and Stockport as well as, satisfyingly, back at City. He has also been kicked from pillar to post since taking up coaching with S****horpe, Northern Ireland and Stockport, where he was sacked before Christmas along with boss Sammy McIlroy.

Lillis, also a European scout and M.E.N. Sport columnist, feels the "cattle market" label is unfair.

"The whole thing was re-named the assessment trials because `exit trials' made it feel a bit like it was the end of the line," said Lillis, still out of regular work since leaving Edgeley Park.

"The three days was really interesting work, with lads from all of the Premiership clubs, including a couple from United, Steven Hogg and Ben Collett, who was in Manchester United's FA Youth Cup-winning side a couple of seasons ago.

"On the first day I was given a squad of players to work with but before we went out onto the field I took them into a lecture theatre for a chat, because there was an air of disappointment on them, a real quietness about the place.

"I asked them how they felt after being released and at first there were no answers.

"Eventually one lad from Crystal Palace piped up, saying he knew it was coming but had hoped against it right up until the day he was released. Another lad said he felt he had let his family down."

Lillis's initial task was to restore the morale of lads who have taken a mental battering.

"The first thing I did was to remind them that they had ability, otherwise they wouldn't even have been there. I also told them that I had been made redundant as a football coach just before Christmas, but it didn't make me a bad coach."

Scholarships

Lillis also coached at the trials three years ago, and added: "To be fair, the Premier League have improved it. It wasn't just about football. The Professional Footballers Association gave them a talk about what they could offer in terms of education and careers guidance, careers officers were on hand to help them prepare CVs, there were American universities offering scholarships and a referee came in to talk about becoming a ref. At £60,000 a year in the Premiership, I put my hand up when he asked if anyone was interested in refereeing!

"There was even a fella there from the Royal Marines showing what a career with them could offer."

But the crux of the three days came on Wednesday, when representatives of 56 clubs turned up to run the rule over the young players. Over the duration of two 25-minute halves, the destiny of most of the young lads was decided.

"I told my lads before they went out to play to make sure that they weren't in the car or on the train home, with regrets, wishing they could play the game again," Lillis added.

The watching scouts are not allowed to approach the youngsters directly, they have to fill in forms and the Premier League let the players know of any interest within five days.

Lillis, born and brought up in Manchester and a former Manchester Boys player, called on his own experiences as he tried to buoy up the players in his charge.

"If Huddersfield hadn't offered me a contract when City let me go, I would probably have stayed at the Daily Express, where I worked as a messenger boy, or gone into the asphalt game with my dad," he said.

"I told them it was about desire. Some lads might be happy just to have spent eight years at United, or Arsenal or Chelsea.

"But I reminded them all that David Platt was released by United as a kid, went to Crewe and ended up captaining England.

"I was two years at City as a schoolboy and my dad went to the club and came out of the meeting suggesting we might have to look elsewhere. I had trials at Burnley, Plymouth, Sheffield Wednesday, Chester and Preston before I finally got a one-year deal with Huddersfield.

"I dug into that, and set out to prove everyone wrong. When I went back to City ten years later, I enjoyed walking up to people who had doubted me, shaking their hands and saying `Remember me?'"

Lillis is now hoping that he has helped a few young players along the same difficult route that he has trodden.

"I know that, with all the scouts there, it can be seen as a cattle market or a bit degrading, but it is basically there to try to help young footballers further their careers, or at least give them guidance in another direction. I was urging some lads to think about going to the States on a three-year scholarship if they got the chance. They could always get a plane home if it didn't work out. The last thing these boys want is to be wondering years from now, what would have happened if...?"

Submit your comments

View comments (1 comment 13/03/2005 at 21:33)

© Copyright 2005 Manchester Evening News. If you wish to use this article for commercial purposes please contact our syndication department.

I found this on the web as you see U S Unis and the army go along to exit trails

If Cotterill does not sign for us he will proable go for less than it cost us to develop him that why we accepted the money from Preston for ayanisy?

Um. No it won't be less than it cost to develop him since the cost of the academy is exactly what is used to calculate the compensation. I've explained this to you before as well. We accepted money for Anyinsah because it was a better deal, either up front or in the form of sell ons.

Not to mention we get 3 years of Cotterill playing for us which we'd have to pay out money to get another player to do and there's no guarantee he will leave. But don't let logic get in your way.

Sorry but Matt Hill didn't spend a few years making loads of mistakes as you'd know if you'd watched him. Since he first played for our first XI he's been a good defender and he got better and better, playing more games for us than most signings do.

Anyway, academies have NOTHING to do with keeping players at the club, they're there to attract and develop quality young players and they do this, the evidence has been put in front of you countless times before.

Nibor

Guest ashtonyate

Lillis beefs up cattle market

THEY have been described as a "cattle market," a "heartbreak hotel" and even as a "last-chance saloon" and the FA has even changed their name to give them a more positive spin.

But the Premier League's assessment trials, formerly known as the "exit trials", remain a blend of heartache and hope, of shattered dreams and rekindled desire.

Every year, for three days, up to 60 young footballers, released by their clubs in the final year of their Academy training, gather for the trials at the National Sports Centre in Lilleshall, in a bid to impress a gathering of scouts and representatives of US universities.

Their hopes of a contract with a Premiership club dashed, they are fighting for the chance to cut a deal with a Football League club, or in Scotland or Ireland.

Former Manchester City star Mark Lillis was one of the coaches invited by the FA to help out with the trials - and with good reason. Lillis himself faced the misery of being released by the Blues as a 14-year-old, only to force his way back into the game with Huddersfield before moving back to Maine Road ten years later.

He went on to play for Derby, Aston Villa, S****horpe, Leicester and Stockport as well as, satisfyingly, back at City. He has also been kicked from pillar to post since taking up coaching with S****horpe, Northern Ireland and Stockport, where he was sacked before Christmas along with boss Sammy McIlroy.

Lillis, also a European scout and M.E.N. Sport columnist, feels the "cattle market" label is unfair.

"The whole thing was re-named the assessment trials because `exit trials' made it feel a bit like it was the end of the line," said Lillis, still out of regular work since leaving Edgeley Park.

"The three days was really interesting work, with lads from all of the Premiership clubs, including a couple from United, Steven Hogg and Ben Collett, who was in Manchester United's FA Youth Cup-winning side a couple of seasons ago.

"On the first day I was given a squad of players to work with but before we went out onto the field I took them into a lecture theatre for a chat, because there was an air of disappointment on them, a real quietness about the place.

"I asked them how they felt after being released and at first there were no answers.

"Eventually one lad from Crystal Palace piped up, saying he knew it was coming but had hoped against it right up until the day he was released. Another lad said he felt he had let his family down."

Lillis's initial task was to restore the morale of lads who have taken a mental battering.

"The first thing I did was to remind them that they had ability, otherwise they wouldn't even have been there. I also told them that I had been made redundant as a football coach just before Christmas, but it didn't make me a bad coach."

Scholarships

Lillis also coached at the trials three years ago, and added: "To be fair, the Premier League have improved it. It wasn't just about football. The Professional Footballers Association gave them a talk about what they could offer in terms of education and careers guidance, careers officers were on hand to help them prepare CVs, there were American universities offering scholarships and a referee came in to talk about becoming a ref. At £60,000 a year in the Premiership, I put my hand up when he asked if anyone was interested in refereeing!

"There was even a fella there from the Royal Marines showing what a career with them could offer."

But the crux of the three days came on Wednesday, when representatives of 56 clubs turned up to run the rule over the young players. Over the duration of two 25-minute halves, the destiny of most of the young lads was decided.

"I told my lads before they went out to play to make sure that they weren't in the car or on the train home, with regrets, wishing they could play the game again," Lillis added.

The watching scouts are not allowed to approach the youngsters directly, they have to fill in forms and the Premier League let the players know of any interest within five days.

Lillis, born and brought up in Manchester and a former Manchester Boys player, called on his own experiences as he tried to buoy up the players in his charge.

"If Huddersfield hadn't offered me a contract when City let me go, I would probably have stayed at the Daily Express, where I worked as a messenger boy, or gone into the asphalt game with my dad," he said.

"I told them it was about desire. Some lads might be happy just to have spent eight years at United, or Arsenal or Chelsea.

"But I reminded them all that David Platt was released by United as a kid, went to Crewe and ended up captaining England.

"I was two years at City as a schoolboy and my dad went to the club and came out of the meeting suggesting we might have to look elsewhere. I had trials at Burnley, Plymouth, Sheffield Wednesday, Chester and Preston before I finally got a one-year deal with Huddersfield.

"I dug into that, and set out to prove everyone wrong. When I went back to City ten years later, I enjoyed walking up to people who had doubted me, shaking their hands and saying `Remember me?'"

Lillis is now hoping that he has helped a few young players along the same difficult route that he has trodden.

"I know that, with all the scouts there, it can be seen as a cattle market or a bit degrading, but it is basically there to try to help young footballers further their careers, or at least give them guidance in another direction. I was urging some lads to think about going to the States on a three-year scholarship if they got the chance. They could always get a plane home if it didn't work out. The last thing these boys want is to be wondering years from now, what would have happened if...?"

Submit your comments

View comments (1 comment 13/03/2005 at 21:33)

© Copyright 2005 Manchester Evening News. If you wish to use this article for commercial purposes please contact our syndication department.

I found this on the web as you see U S Unis and the army go along to exit trails

Its all gone very silent over there

Its all gone very silent over there

Oh shut up you complete twit.

This thread has 100+ replies, but your ignorance and stupidity mean most of it is repetition.

It has probably gone quiet because everyone is sick to the back teeth of trying to communicate with a complete imbecile like you.

Guest ashtonyate

Oh shut up you complete twit.

This thread has 100+ replies, but your ignorance and stupidity mean most of it is repetition.

It has probably gone quiet because everyone is sick to the back teeth of trying to communicate with a complete imbecile like you.

Or I was right in what I was saying again

Archived