IGNORED

Academy Again

Guest ashtonyate

Or I was right in what I was saying again

No, you are a complete twit.

Actually I've been a bit unfair there, you're ignorant too.

What next? Arguing grass is blue and despite everyone arguing it's green you'll finish off by saying 'I was right'?

If I hadn't heard your moronic crap on the radio the other night I'd have sworn you were just a character made up by someone to cause a wind up.

But having heard you, you are either also very good at doing a vocal impression of a moron or you really are as stupid as you continue to make yourself sound.

I make no apologies for being rude to you. You can't even be bothered to read or acknowledge some very well written replies to your crap, so if you can be that rude, so can I.

Guest ashtonyate

Lillis beefs up cattle market

THEY have been described as a "cattle market," a "heartbreak hotel" and even as a "last-chance saloon" and the FA has even changed their name to give them a more positive spin.

But the Premier League's assessment trials, formerly known as the "exit trials", remain a blend of heartache and hope, of shattered dreams and rekindled desire.

Every year, for three days, up to 60 young footballers, released by their clubs in the final year of their Academy training, gather for the trials at the National Sports Centre in Lilleshall, in a bid to impress a gathering of scouts and representatives of US universities.

Their hopes of a contract with a Premiership club dashed, they are fighting for the chance to cut a deal with a Football League club, or in Scotland or Ireland.

Former Manchester City star Mark Lillis was one of the coaches invited by the FA to help out with the trials - and with good reason. Lillis himself faced the misery of being released by the Blues as a 14-year-old, only to force his way back into the game with Huddersfield before moving back to Maine Road ten years later.

He went on to play for Derby, Aston Villa, S****horpe, Leicester and Stockport as well as, satisfyingly, back at City. He has also been kicked from pillar to post since taking up coaching with S****horpe, Northern Ireland and Stockport, where he was sacked before Christmas along with boss Sammy McIlroy.

Lillis, also a European scout and M.E.N. Sport columnist, feels the "cattle market" label is unfair.

"The whole thing was re-named the assessment trials because `exit trials' made it feel a bit like it was the end of the line," said Lillis, still out of regular work since leaving Edgeley Park.

"The three days was really interesting work, with lads from all of the Premiership clubs, including a couple from United, Steven Hogg and Ben Collett, who was in Manchester United's FA Youth Cup-winning side a couple of seasons ago.

"On the first day I was given a squad of players to work with but before we went out onto the field I took them into a lecture theatre for a chat, because there was an air of disappointment on them, a real quietness about the place.

"I asked them how they felt after being released and at first there were no answers.

"Eventually one lad from Crystal Palace piped up, saying he knew it was coming but had hoped against it right up until the day he was released. Another lad said he felt he had let his family down."

Lillis's initial task was to restore the morale of lads who have taken a mental battering.

"The first thing I did was to remind them that they had ability, otherwise they wouldn't even have been there. I also told them that I had been made redundant as a football coach just before Christmas, but it didn't make me a bad coach."

Scholarships

Lillis also coached at the trials three years ago, and added: "To be fair, the Premier League have improved it. It wasn't just about football. The Professional Footballers Association gave them a talk about what they could offer in terms of education and careers guidance, careers officers were on hand to help them prepare CVs, there were American universities offering scholarships and a referee came in to talk about becoming a ref. At £60,000 a year in the Premiership, I put my hand up when he asked if anyone was interested in refereeing!

"There was even a fella there from the Royal Marines showing what a career with them could offer."

But the crux of the three days came on Wednesday, when representatives of 56 clubs turned up to run the rule over the young players. Over the duration of two 25-minute halves, the destiny of most of the young lads was decided.

"I told my lads before they went out to play to make sure that they weren't in the car or on the train home, with regrets, wishing they could play the game again," Lillis added.

The watching scouts are not allowed to approach the youngsters directly, they have to fill in forms and the Premier League let the players know of any interest within five days.

Lillis, born and brought up in Manchester and a former Manchester Boys player, called on his own experiences as he tried to buoy up the players in his charge.

"If Huddersfield hadn't offered me a contract when City let me go, I would probably have stayed at the Daily Express, where I worked as a messenger boy, or gone into the asphalt game with my dad," he said.

"I told them it was about desire. Some lads might be happy just to have spent eight years at United, or Arsenal or Chelsea.

"But I reminded them all that David Platt was released by United as a kid, went to Crewe and ended up captaining England.

"I was two years at City as a schoolboy and my dad went to the club and came out of the meeting suggesting we might have to look elsewhere. I had trials at Burnley, Plymouth, Sheffield Wednesday, Chester and Preston before I finally got a one-year deal with Huddersfield.

"I dug into that, and set out to prove everyone wrong. When I went back to City ten years later, I enjoyed walking up to people who had doubted me, shaking their hands and saying `Remember me?'"

Lillis is now hoping that he has helped a few young players along the same difficult route that he has trodden.

"I know that, with all the scouts there, it can be seen as a cattle market or a bit degrading, but it is basically there to try to help young footballers further their careers, or at least give them guidance in another direction. I was urging some lads to think about going to the States on a three-year scholarship if they got the chance. They could always get a plane home if it didn't work out. The last thing these boys want is to be wondering years from now, what would have happened if...?"

Submit your comments

View comments (1 comment 13/03/2005 at 21:33)

© Copyright 2005 Manchester Evening News. If you wish to use this article for commercial purposes please contact our syndication department.

I found this on the web as you see U S Unis and the army go along to exit trails Club from scotland and Ireland

No, you are a complete twit.

Actually I've been a bit unfair there, you're ignorant too.

What next? Arguing grass is blue and despite everyone arguing it's green you'll finish off by saying 'I was right'?

If I hadn't heard your moronic crap on the radio the other night I'd have sworn you were just a character made up by someone to cause a wind up.

But having heard you, you are either also very good at doing a vocal impression of a moron or you really are as stupid as you continue to make yourself sound.

I make no apologies for being rude to you. You can't even be bothered to read or acknowledge some very well written replies to your crap, so if you can be that rude, so can I.

You have made statments on here now I have disproved 1 of them you just insult me it show what a ass hole you are if you cant stand the heat keep out of the kitchen

You have made statments on here now I have disproved 1 of them you just insult me it show what a ass hole you are if you cant stand the heat keep out of the kitchen

Which one of my statements have you disproved?

And all that proves is that there are 60 or so players who didn't make it at the exit trials. IE Nothing.

The players at the trials will STILL take the best offer they get and that means we'd be scrapping over leftovers if we didn't have our own academy.

Nibor

Which one of my statements have you disproved?

And I'm glad you think I'm an arsehole. If someone like you thought you had anything in common with me, then I'd be worried.

If City and Charlton had both offer you a contract who would you have gone with and why

I would have probably chose City because it was local and I would have had to move if I chose Charlton and I was only 11. However if it happened now I would seriously consider Charlton's offer.

Or that most BRISTOL CITY fans are actually listening to tonights match.

You haven't actually proved anything, you have said time and time again that better players can be found in the Exit Trials than we can produce through the academy.

This is still un-proven! You really can't see it that pretty much the entire forum fanbase DISAGREE'S with you!

why is that?

Guest ashtonyate

And all that proves is that there are 60 or so players who didn't make it at the exit trials. IE Nothing.

The players at the trials will STILL take the best offer they get and that means we'd be scrapping over leftovers if we didn't have our own academy.

Nibor

No a lot of you keep saying that only clubs with academy can go to them, I kept said that any club could go to them, also these player may not be seen good enough for the prem but should be good enough for us and all they have cost is a small signing on fee not all the money it cost putting players through our academy

If that were the case I'm sure you would find someone agreeing with you. Instead people patiently line up to explain why you are wrong in a detailed, articulate way. I got bored of doing this as you neither take on board facts that don't fit your view or worry about making your argument coherent.

The best suggestion I have seen on here is that you attend an U18 game or two as you can't get to the first team games at the moment. What better way to support the club without any cost - will you do this?

No a lot of you keep saying that only clubs with academy can go to them, I kept said that any club could go to them, also these player may not be seen good enough for the prem but should be good enough for us and all they have cost is a small signing on fee not all the money it cost putting players through our academy

I said - Which one of my statements have you disproved?

I haven't said that. Even if I had it has absolutely no relevance whatsoever to whether or not we should have an academy.

If you think a team full of Bradley Orrs is good enough then you're mental.

If after all the arguments put forth which you've ignored you can't accept that the academy is a good cheap source of quality young players which gives the club potential then I suggest you should just be bitter about it then.

Preferably quietly.

Nibor

Guest ashtonyate

Or that most BRISTOL CITY fans are actually listening to tonights match.

You haven't actually proved anything, you have said time and time again that better players can be found in the Exit Trials than we can produce through the academy.

This is still un-proven! You really can't see it that pretty much the entire forum fanbase DISAGREE'S with you!

why is that?

No I said as good as we are producing I don't think all of the fanbase disagree with me a lot of them do

but I just think alot of them are trying to wind me up good luck to them.A lot of fan don,t want to get invovled because they see what abuse I get

Maybe..........but it has been proved over the years that these players haven't been good enough for us. In all the years that we have looked at these players we haven't had any that have been any better than any Academy player over a decent period of time.

The Academy has proven SUCCESS as when they are promoted to the first team you know that you what you are getting

The players we have signed in the last few years have barely gone on to do anything..........

In all that time the only potentially decent player to come out of it is Scott Brown and he came to us after being rejected by Port Vale, some of these players do have better offers so get paid higer wages than youth players! So they are not cheaper

The academy is still a better and cheaper way of producing player, Loses have now been stopped on the academy and with the UWE sponsership Big Loses are no more.........The reason to keep the academy is getting STRONGER every season!

Guest ashtonyate

I haven't said that. Even if I had it has absolutely no relevance whatsoever to whether or not we should have an academy.

If you think a team full of Bradley Orrs is good enough then you're mental.

If after all the arguments put forth which you've ignored you can't accept that the academy is a good cheap source of quality young players which gives the club potential then I suggest you should just be bitter about it then.

Preferably quietly.

Nibor

How about a team full of Woodmans or Fourtunes

a team full of Woodman and Fortune over Orr........ Orr has been a terrible singing so far!

Where as Woodman and Fortune have both shown good potential for the furtue, as so the likes of Golbourne, Harley Cotterill and Skuse

Can I ask if you have ever seen any of these players play?

Oh and over 100 reply's to this post and how many have agreed with YOU - ZERO! and any that have, do have a decent agruement as to why it doesn't work..........other than yourself!

Guest ashtonyate

a team full of Woodman and Fortune over Orr........ Orr has been a terrible singing so far!

Where as Woodman and Fortune have both shown good potential for the furtue, as so the likes of Golbourne, Harley Cotterill and Skuse

Yes have you I been down 4 times this season and seen them on Sky if you think Woodman or Fortune are good prospect I wonder if you have seen them this year, Woodman is not going to make it fourtune is poor in the back four and the Midfield

Golbourne, Harley Cotterill and Skuse look good at the moment but time will tell how good they are going to be

Oh and over 100 reply's to this post and how many have agreed with YOU - ZERO! and any that have, do have a decent agruement as to why it doesn't work..........other than yourself!

This post has over 100 post but only by a handfull of posters so there is not 100 people disagreeing just a few happy clappis

THEY have been described as a "cattle market," a "heartbreak hotel" and even as a "last-chance saloon" and the FA has even changed their name to give them a more positive spin.

But the Premier League's assessment trials, formerly known as the "exit trials", remain a blend of heartache and hope, of shattered dreams and rekindled desire.

Every year, for three days, up to 60 young footballers, released by their clubs in the final year of their Academy training, gather for the trials at the National Sports Centre in Lilleshall, in a bid to impress a gathering of scouts and representatives of US universities.

Their hopes of a contract with a Premiership club dashed, they are fighting for the chance to cut a deal with a Football League club, or in Scotland or Ireland.

Former Manchester City star Mark Lillis was one of the coaches invited by the FA to help out with the trials - and with good reason. Lillis himself faced the misery of being released by the Blues as a 14-year-old, only to force his way back into the game with Huddersfield before moving back to Maine Road ten years later.

He went on to play for Derby, Aston Villa, S****horpe, Leicester and Stockport as well as, satisfyingly, back at City. He has also been kicked from pillar to post since taking up coaching with S****horpe, Northern Ireland and Stockport, where he was sacked before Christmas along with boss Sammy McIlroy.

Lillis, also a European scout and M.E.N. Sport columnist, feels the "cattle market" label is unfair.

"The whole thing was re-named the assessment trials because `exit trials' made it feel a bit like it was the end of the line," said Lillis, still out of regular work since leaving Edgeley Park.

"The three days was really interesting work, with lads from all of the Premiership clubs, including a couple from United, Steven Hogg and Ben Collett, who was in Manchester United's FA Youth Cup-winning side a couple of seasons ago.

"On the first day I was given a squad of players to work with but before we went out onto the field I took them into a lecture theatre for a chat, because there was an air of disappointment on them, a real quietness about the place.

"I asked them how they felt after being released and at first there were no answers.

"Eventually one lad from Crystal Palace piped up, saying he knew it was coming but had hoped against it right up until the day he was released. Another lad said he felt he had let his family down."

Lillis's initial task was to restore the morale of lads who have taken a mental battering.

"The first thing I did was to remind them that they had ability, otherwise they wouldn't even have been there. I also told them that I had been made redundant as a football coach just before Christmas, but it didn't make me a bad coach."

Scholarships

Lillis also coached at the trials three years ago, and added: "To be fair, the Premier League have improved it. It wasn't just about football. The Professional Footballers Association gave them a talk about what they could offer in terms of education and careers guidance, careers officers were on hand to help them prepare CVs, there were American universities offering scholarships and a referee came in to talk about becoming a ref. At £60,000 a year in the Premiership, I put my hand up when he asked if anyone was interested in refereeing!

"There was even a fella there from the Royal Marines showing what a career with them could offer."

But the crux of the three days came on Wednesday, when representatives of 56 clubs turned up to run the rule over the young players. Over the duration of two 25-minute halves, the destiny of most of the young lads was decided.

"I told my lads before they went out to play to make sure that they weren't in the car or on the train home, with regrets, wishing they could play the game again," Lillis added.

The watching scouts are not allowed to approach the youngsters directly, they have to fill in forms and the Premier League let the players know of any interest within five days.

Lillis, born and brought up in Manchester and a former Manchester Boys player, called on his own experiences as he tried to buoy up the players in his charge.

"If Huddersfield hadn't offered me a contract when City let me go, I would probably have stayed at the Daily Express, where I worked as a messenger boy, or gone into the asphalt game with my dad," he said.

"I told them it was about desire. Some lads might be happy just to have spent eight years at United, or Arsenal or Chelsea.

"But I reminded them all that David Platt was released by United as a kid, went to Crewe and ended up captaining England.

"I was two years at City as a schoolboy and my dad went to the club and came out of the meeting suggesting we might have to look elsewhere. I had trials at Burnley, Plymouth, Sheffield Wednesday, Chester and Preston before I finally got a one-year deal with Huddersfield.

"I dug into that, and set out to prove everyone wrong. When I went back to City ten years later, I enjoyed walking up to people who had doubted me, shaking their hands and saying `Remember me?'"

Lillis is now hoping that he has helped a few young players along the same difficult route that he has trodden.

"I know that, with all the scouts there, it can be seen as a cattle market or a bit degrading, but it is basically there to try to help young footballers further their careers, or at least give them guidance in another direction. I was urging some lads to think about going to the States on a three-year scholarship if they got the chance. They could always get a plane home if it didn't work out. The last thing these boys want is to be wondering years from now, what would have happened if...?"

Submit your comments

© Copyright 2005 Manchester Evening News. If you wish to use this article for commercial purposes please contact our syndication department.

I found this on the web as you see U S Unis and the army go along to exit trails

Yes have you I been down 4 times this season and seen them on Sky if you think Woodman or Fortune are good prospect I wonder if you have seen them this year, Woodman is not going to make it fourtune is poor in the back four and the Midfield

Golbourne, Harley Cotterill and Skuse look good at the moment but time will tell how good they are going to be

This post has over 100 post but only by a handfull of posters so there is not 100 people disagreeing just a few happy clappis

Preston offered 400k for Fortune, but clearly your 4 games make you a better judge of a prospect than Billy Davies.

Oh, and 40 people have replied on this thread. Just a fact for you although I know you're not keen on them.

There are also others who disagree with you, but can't be arsed because they've tried in the past and come to the same conclusion everyone else is drawing.

On the plus side - You have done more to convince a large number of people that the academy is a good thing than any amount of literature by the club could do, so congratulations on that, however unintentional it was.

Guest ashtonyate

Preston offered 400k for Fortune, but clearly your 4 games make you a better judge of a prospect than Billy Davies.

Oh, and 40 people have replied on this thread. Just a fact for you although I know you're not keen on them.

There are also others who disagree with you, but can't be arsed because they've tried in the past and come to the same conclusion everyone else is drawing.

On the plus side - You have done more to convince a large number of people that the academy is a good thing than any amount of literature by the club could do, so congratulations on that, however unintentional it was.

I wonder if they would offer 400k for him now, no I judge the fact if we had a fit side he would not get near the first that why Magic got in sofa

I agree I will not change anything but it still needs to be said but, I would like to see Johnson report

I wonder if they would offer 400k for him now, no I judge the fact if we had a fit side he would not get near the first that why Magic got in sofa

I agree I will not change anything but it still needs to be said but, I would like to see Johnson report

It only needs to be said if your intention is to get people to rally behind the academy.

What, Gary Johnson the ex Watford Academy director? Yes, I imagine he's totally against the idea.

Guest ashtonyate

It only needs to be said if your intention is to get people to rally behind the academy.

What, Gary Johnson the ex Watford Academy director? Yes, I imagine he's totally against the idea.

Your back again now play nice, yes I am glad johnson is going to look at the academy,as i said I don't think the club will shut it down but i can think Lansdown will be happy with the class of player that have come through in the past,

As I can't be bothered to trawl through the hundreds of email on this subject (apologies to posters), perhaps AshtonYate can enlighten us on his grand plan for investing the money 'saved' by axing the Academy.

Over to you AY.......

Pay off some of the debts we must owe 8 Million by now after johnson coming in

Your back again now play nice, yes I am glad johnson is going to look at the academy,as i said I don't think the club will shut it down but i can think Lansdown will be happy with the class of player that have come through in the past,

What?

Nice that you can afford to have Sky, a nice computer and Internet Access. I have to work for a living not "get by" on state hand outs!...........Perhaps you could get rid of your £40 per month SKY! and use that money to support Bristol City financial and actually go to games.

How about you save you near £500 per year sky package and buy yourself a season ticket!!!!!! Then you will actually have a decent opionion of players (and maybe get their names correct.

I have the above and I have a season ticket and usually only get to around 6/7 away games per season, because I sometimes I have to work saturday mornings.

To say Woodman and Fortune won't make it is a joke comment in it's own right, BOTH PLAYERS HAVE MADE IT! They are both Professional Footballers for a League 1 Club and have shown good potentiol and a semi-regular basis. The problem is that season so far they have not played well, BUT who did this season under Tinnion.

Woodman to let you know actually also played in a play-off final at the Mill Std, so I'm sure he will have considered that he has made it so far, Fortune has been highly rated by all the managers that have had him but is also young.

You slate these players, but you are unable to praise any "premiership cast-offs from Exit Trials or similar........ perhaps that's because players from the past like Orr, Gilliespie, Patterson, Tisdale, McAree.........haven't been decent signings.

oh and how can Axeing the Academy Save the club money??? doesn't make any sense

pure speculation............owe who exactly?

Guest redphilc

41 people and I disagree with everything ashtonyate has said apart from the bit about Fortune.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but when France set up lots of academy's across their country they had a view to start producing real talent ten years later as they were aware it would tkae that long to bear the fruits from the initial setup. What happened after 10 years since the inception of their academy system? They won the world cup thats what and then the european championship 2 years later.

In England we were a few years behind France in the academy setup but now many of the current England squad came from our countries academy system. I believe without these academies we would not be able to compete as a country on an international level. Maybe just maybe we could win one of the next couple of world cups as a result this?

Also our academy is still in its infancy yet has already produced some great talent. I for one am looking forward to when it produces at its full potential and then maybe we can start competing with the bigger clubs in this country. We have some great prospects in Benyon, Harley and Lamb waiting in the wings and many more on the production line to follow.

Lets end this debate as there is no substance in what the bloke from Yate is harping on about.

Guest ashtonyate

41 people and I disagree with everything ashtonyate has said apart from the bit about Fortune.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but when France set up lots of academy's across their country they had a view to start producing real talent ten years later as they were aware it would tkae that long to bear the fruits from the initial setup. What happened after 10 years since the inception of their academy system? They won the world cup thats what and then the european championship 2 years later.

In England we were a few years behind France in the academy setup but now many of the current England squad came from our countries academy system. I believe without these academies we would not be able to compete as a country on an international level. Maybe just maybe we could win one of the next couple of world cups as a result this?

Also our academy is still in its infancy yet has already produced some great talent. I for one am looking forward to when it produces at its full potential and then maybe we can start competing with the bigger clubs in this country. We have some great prospects in Benyon, Harley and Lamb waiting in the wings and many more on the production line to follow.

Lets end this debate as there is no substance in what the bloke from Yate is harping on about.

Yes lets end the debate as once again no one has really showen that this club could not excist without an academy

I am glad to prove that you don't need an academy to go to exit trails

Guest ashtonyate

Scholarships

Submit your comments

I found this on the web as you see U S Unis and the army go along to exit trails

Archived