IGNORED

The EE

Robbored

The bottom line on this one is quite simple.

Ask the manager and the players if it makes a difference. You will get a resounding yes.

Therefore the club should do everything they can to allow home fans who want to create an atmosphere to make use of the East End, and happily they seem to be of a mind to do this.

Spot on - My understanding of the situation is that A&S Constabularly determine whether or not any particular match requires thier supervision.Obviously games that might have potential for trouble are easily predicted and those are the ones that incur police costs.

But...A&S police insist that thier officers are present if the EE is open to home fans - regardless of who the opposition is.Yesterdays game for example would have had no police if the EE had remained closed but due to the close proximity to the away support the police insist that they are present when its open. As far they are concerned its a public safety issue and what they say goes.The club have no say in the matter but have to cover the costs.

But as we see week in, week out across the country at different Away venues, there is no set, standard policing method at football grounds.

So we must ask why cannot our club influence policing policy at Ashton Gate? There is nothing set in stone. Things have changed substantially in the last 20 to 30 years, most notably in the use of CCTV. This is now a constant in every aspect of our daily lives.

Why cannot the club attempt to change the rigidity of policing practice at Ashton Gate? What "liasing" is our Police Liason Officer actually doing?

As for the "close proximity" of Home and Away fans, this happens all the time at every level of football, including the Premiership, with just a line of Stewards or Police seperating them.

Is Ashton Gate truly such a potentially dangerous place?

Spot on - My understanding of the situation is that A&S Constabularly determine whether or not any particular match requires thier supervision.Obviously games that might have potential for trouble are easily predicted and those are the ones that incur police costs.

But...A&S police insist that thier officers are present if the EE is open to home fans - regardless of who the opposition is.Yesterdays game for example would have had no police if the EE had remained closed but due to the close proximity to the away support the police insist that they are present when its open. As far they are concerned its a public safety issue and what they say goes.The club have no say in the matter but have to cover the costs.

Presumably as a representative of so many City fans you are asking the police to justify their costings?

This is not a police state (steady down at the back RG) yet. They cannot dictate anything to anybody outside of their remit.

But as we see week in, week out across the country at different Away venues, there is no set, standard policing method at football grounds.

So we must ask why cannot our club influence policing policy at Ashton Gate? There is nothing set in stone. Things have changed substantially in the last 20 to 30 years, most notably in the use of CCTV. This is now a constant in every aspect of our daily lives.

Why cannot the club attempt to change the rigidity of policing practice at Ashton Gate? What "liasing" is our Police Liason Officer actually doing?

As for the "close proximity" of Home and Away fans, this happens all the time at every level of football, including the Premiership, with just a line of Stewards or Police seperating them.

Is Ashton Gate truly such a potentially dangerous place?

I think these are definate questions that need to be asked and now we have a proper established organisation to ask I hope they are added to their agenda.

I would say that historically the local police force have been less than helpful with all matters.

Any chance of it being open again vs Bradford or not?

It will be such an anti climax on tuesday night if we have to go back to our usuall places in the ground, nothing compares to the Eastend.

Tuesday night will be when we need it most, those players are tired from their recent run of games, some are ill and some injured. They will need something to keep them going...small segregations aren't going to help them no matter how hard we try. So its down to the players...unless...Open the Eastend please!

The bottom line on this one is quite simple.

Ask the manager and the players if it makes a difference. You will get a resounding yes.

Therefore the club should do everything they can to allow home fans who want to create an atmosphere to make use of the East End, and happily they seem to be of a mind to do this.

Spot on, that is the bottom line.

It was proven last time the East End 'experiment' took place 2 or 3 seasons ago that the increased volume of support lifted the team - the players themselves said so publically. During that run of games the numbers in the EE, if I remember right, started at around 200-300 and rose steadily game-by-game (along with the noise levels).

Despite Robbored's claim that the opening of the East End was 'hyped up', in truth I'd wager that only a small minority knew about it in advance of the Brentford match. Given a chance I've no doubt you'd get 1,500-2k - plus punters wanting to go in there regularly and kick up a racket.

And given that Gary and the team are clearly crying out for more vocal support, you'd have to concede it's in the club's interests to give it a go. Wouldn't you?

Sit in the atyeo so not worried about east end, but bit confused over the policing issue. If it costs 5k to police in there, and it has been mentioned that it would be open as a overflow does that mean we pay 5k every game in the off chance we get a big gate. For if we did get a big gate and east end open as overflow with no police presence why one when it is officially open.

A fantastic day yesterday in the EE. Quality support, and many thanks to everyone who made it possible.

Regarding the support affecting the players, of course it does. It gives them that litte more, that one % they need in the 90th minute. As nibor says, ask any player or management if the support helps, i think the reaction after the final whistle answers that.

Presumably as a representative of so many City fans you are asking the police to justify their costings?

They cannot dictate anything to anybody outside of their remit.

Public order and safety is one of the the remits of the police and its not upto me to ask the police to justify thier costs.I would imagine that they are pretty standard.No doubt the Rovers faced the same kind of bill that City did recently.

I did have a fat lecture stroke sermon stroke, well an article lined up anyway. It's gone I'll be honest - as is the way. Met many a folk yesterday, enjoyed myself bottom line, for a chang. Steve hopefully now understands, I think he'll either get it or he won't.

Us the people are here, can we please be acknowledged and respected not abused, we are The Club. Robbored; you're an embarassment.

Is what I reckon.

With regards to whether or not it made a difference, has anyone considered that we might not have got the penalty had the east-enders not been present? There was a massive roar for the first appeal a couple of mins before, and an even louder one for the pen itself. Right in front of the ref. OK, I accept there's no way of knowing for sure if it had any effect at all, but it's worth a thought. How many times in recent years have we gone away to these small low-slung grounds, where the crowd appeals for everything and the ref has seemed to buckle? Surely, at this stage of the season, if there's any chance at all of creating an advantage, we should be taking it.

No we didnt kill them off, but just maybe we stopped their fans lifting them, and kept the spirit of our players up.

And the point is, that some of us feel that we can make a difference, rather that just be negative like your post. :(

Well done Sir, I was sat in the Williams' Stand with the away supporters nearest me and our East End supporters drowned out the Brentford away following all through the game. Our fantastic East End supporters lifted the whole atmospere with their noise. :clapping:

East, East, East Enders !!!! :dancing6:

The gaffer has spoken :smartass:

COME AND JOIN US, CITY TELL MISSING FANS

08:00 - 12 March 2007

Gary Johnson has thanked the Bristol City regulars for their positive support, but is wondering when Ashton Gate crowds are going to top the 16,000 mark for a league game.

An attendance of only 11,826 saw a fifth straight League One win, 1-0 against Brentford. When City were pushing for promotion in 2003 and 2004 they often attracted 18,000-19,000 for games in the run-in.

The figure was also disappointing because the club had bowed to supporters' group requests and opened the Wedlock Stand to home fans. The manager said that the presence of City diehards in all four stands considerably improved the atmosphere and helped City to a crucial victory.

The club have been reluctant to fully open the section in the past, fearing trouble because of the proximity to away supporters. Johnson said: "The support was magnificent and the lads in the East End (Wedlock Stand) were fantastic. It made a difference because instead of having three parts of the ground singing their different songs they all seemed to get together and sing for 90 minutes."

"I went over there and showed my appreciation afterwards because I am a fan of having that stand with our supporters who are singing. Of course everyone is on trial at that end because we have to make sure we behave ourselves because it is a difficult part of the ground if it gets too vociferous.

"So we hope they put all their energies into supporting us. They did it against Brentford and I really, really appreciated it."

Home fans will not be allowed into what is commonly called the East End for tomorrow night's game with Bradford City. However, advance prices have been cut across the board for the visit of the Bantams with many tickets down to £15 and under-16s able to get in for £1 with a paying adult.

"When are the other five or six thousand going to start believing we are close?" said Johnson. "But I am happy with the ones that were here and they have given us their positive support."

Second-placed City can go seven points clear of Nottingham Forest and Yeovil Town with a win against Bradford. Striker Steve Brooker and defender Louis Carey face fitness tests, while Richard Keogh has tonsilitis.

http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/display...tentPK=16855347

The figure was also disappointing because the club had bowed to supporters' group requests and opened the Wedlock Stand to home fans. The manager said that the presence of City diehards in all four stands considerably improved the atmosphere and helped City to a crucial victory.

The club have been reluctant to fully open the section in the past, fearing trouble because of the proximity to away supporters. Johnson said: "The support was magnificent and the lads in the East End (Wedlock Stand) were fantastic. It made a difference because instead of having three parts of the ground singing their different songs they all seemed to get together and sing for 90 minutes."

"I went over there and showed my appreciation afterwards because I am a fan of having that stand with our supporters who are singing. Of course everyone is on trial at that end because we have to make sure we behave ourselves because it is a difficult part of the ground if it gets too vociferous.

Magic! That just goes to show that it's a win win situation in my eyes. The fans enjoyed it, the players & manager appreciated it, there was no trouble that I was aware of (not that I expected there to be anyway), and those that didn't take up the opportunity to get in the EE this time are more encouraged to do so if we're permitted a next time.

I'm aware that the Club may view apporx. 650 people (only around 150 being 'new business') as a poor figure but these things take time. I know a fair number of people that chose to stay in their regular seat on Saturday & now regret not joining us. I firmly believe that the figure will grow if given chance. Of course, I appreciate that the Club will want more new business to help justify the additional costs of opening the EE but I'd argue that this can happen if the right marketing & promotion is used.

I'm aware that the Club may view apporx. 650 people (only around 150 being 'new business') as a poor figure but these things take time.

150 of new business would equate to something approaching £3k, so Robbored's whinging about the extra, unneccessary, rip-off, police costs look more and more daft all the time.

Guest North Street
150 of new business would equate to something approaching £3k, so Robbored's whinging about the extra, unneccessary, rip-off, police costs look more and more daft all the time.

I would like to add Nick the club were expected to re-promote the game last week and as late as last thursday had to be ummm "encouraged"! As for the clubs initial announcement it took around three weeks to become public [feb 20th] despite fans meeting the club on Jan 29th. Three weeks is a lot of time to get that bush telegraph going and i met fans saturday who had absolutley no idea City fans were back in the East End.

The very least the supporters of City deserve is the very same V Rotherham with tickets sales and transfers starting next week.

UP THE CITY

Good grief! Nick, lighten up. No-ones whinging. I just posed the question, thats all.

It seems to me that you take umbrage at anyone who is not 100% behind the EE cause.Even perfectly reasonable questions like the 'is it worth it' one seem to cause you offence.

There is more than one way of looking at things. Its called having a balanced view.

Good grief! Nick, lighten up. No-ones whinging. I just posed the question, thats all.

It seems to me that you take umbrage at anyone who is not 100% behind the EE cause.Even perfectly reasonable questions like the 'is it worth it' one seem to cause you offence.

There is more than one way of looking at things. Its called having a balanced view.

Your ballanced view is as ballanced as Jade Goodys diet....

I took my 19 yr old nephew and his mate for the first time in the Eastend and they loved it ,could not believe the diference in atmosphere and no moaning around them ,they are now total City fans,this is what the Eastend brings to Ashton Gate always has always going to be,personally I had the best game this season,great for one game not to have moaning all game from behind me,I know Lansdown thinks it makes the other parts of the ground look sparse but they would soon fill up with new supporters enjoying the atmosphere which is all part of a football match.

The attendance was low for wwere we are in the league,remember the last run in we had sell outs for QPR Plymouth with the Eastend open and we got the wins wanted,same again this season against Forest,Swansea,Yeovil and its cert promotion,do not let this advantage of the Eastnd go please for these games.

As a previous post siad you can not bottle it,buy it in the City shop,the Eastend atmosphere is special to the club for present fans and ones for tomorrow,basically it is Priceless

No, it's called having a different view. Your conviction that yours is the balanced one implies that everyone else's is somehow unbalanced. Bit of a contradiction there methinks.

If your view was balanced, you'd have made as many positive noises about the EE as the negative ones you've persisted with, instead of just a grudging acknowledgement that the atmosphere was a bit better but so what? buried in your moan about the turnout being disappointing!

I'm glad GJ has made it clear just how important the EE was in giving the team vocal backing and how important that backing is to them, perhaps the chairman of the supporter's club could manage to support the initiative now?

I was very suprised to the EE with so few in there today - around 650 I think.With all the publicity and those thousands of signatures on the 'open the EE' petition I was expecting a complete sell out.

Still, the hardy few made a good deal of noise - it was good to hear.

Shame it cost the club arounf £5k in police costs as the police insist that if the EE is open it has to be policed by thier officers due to the close proximity of the away fans.

i was in the eastend on saturday and it was the best atmosphere this season rather then the libary it normal is when the singers are spread out.

No, it's called having a different view. Your conviction that yours is the balanced one implies that everyone else's is somehow unbalanced. Bit of a contradiction there methinks.

That is very perceptive, clever, and oh-so true.

I just had the thought that the EE threads would be a fraction the length they are if Robored wasn't posting about them.

And I wouldnt be sat here shouting at my PC.

How about if the entire forum just has a collective agreement to put Robored on the "ignore list", that way he could just spend hours telling everybody and nobody what a balanced, voice of reason type of chap he is.

How about if the entire forum just has a collective agreement to put Robored on the "ignore list", that way he could just spend hours telling everybody and nobody what a balanced, voice of reason type of chap he is.

Are willing to miss Robbored attempting to justify his seat at board meetings? Surely the voice of reason will eventually, one day, decide to answer this question? Or perhaps I'm just being naive.

I just had the thought that the EE threads would be a fraction the length they are if Robored wasn't posting about them.

What you would have instead would be a happy clappy thread with those EE fans saying how wonderful the whole experience was.A lot of mutual back slapping in other words.

Thats all very well if you like reading threads about self admiration societies.

All I have ever done with my threads about the EE is ask important questions or portray an alternative view. A 'different' or 'balanced' view if you like.

Now for some reason some of the EE activists feel so defensive or precious about the EE that they are unable to engage in constructive debate on the issue.Normally reasonable people whose opinion I respect suddenly lose all sense of balance and resort to mocking,personal attacks and frankly jejune comments like 'I dislike you'. Its truly amazing and reminds of a cult mentality.

What you would have instead would be a happy clappy thread with those EE fans saying how wonderful the whole experience was.A lot of mutual back slapping in other words.

Thats all very well if you like reading threads about self admiration societies.

All I have ever done with my threads about the EE is ask important questions or portray an alternative view. A 'different' or 'balanced' view if you like.

Now for some reason some of the EE activists feel so defensive or precious about the EE that they are unable to engage in constructive debate on the issue.Normally reasonable people whose opinion I respect suddenly lose all sense of balance and resort to mocking,personal attacks and frankly jejune comments like 'I dislike you'. Its truly amazing and reminds of a cult mentality.

yeah you weirdos, fancy following the same football club all around the country and forging an identity over a stand,

your just a cult.

RR. I see very little objectivity in your posts on this subject. In fact i'ts hard to differeintiate them from wind ups.

Archived