IGNORED

RIP Gerry Gow

cider head

I've tears in my eyes.

I've lost my footballing hero who did all of the things on a football pitch which I'd have loved to do, had I been any good, which I wasn't. Gerry and I were of a similar vintage so I was fortunate to watch him play many, many times but never enough. That Bob Houghton should fall out with Gerry and force him to leave was in keeping with the general lunacy afflicting City back in the early 80's, but was to the eternal benefit of Manchester City and later, Rotherham and Burnley. Whenever he was on the team sheet for those clubs, I was filled with jealousy and indignation because, though Scottish, Gerry truly was "one of our own".

As a midfielder, he was hard - boy was he hard but immensely talented; he defended his teammates and meted out punishment to opposition players who transgressed (and on one famous occasion, upon his own player, Bobby Gould). He scored goals too! Who could ever forget Coventry away in '77?

Gerry was the complete midfielder - not a Cruyff, of course ... he was better than that! ;)

My most sincere condolences to Gerry's wife, children, family and friends. God bless, Gerry.

52 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Edson did one for the incider years ago (litterally talking 12 years ago now!) - however the original image is open to copyright arguments and fair to say the owner of the original picture is a complete arsehole who will happily take anyone reproducing it to court..

tn_post-7-1067434771.jpg

True. Although for non profit i.e.: fan flags they appeared to have let it go, worth asking though.

Can anyone provide some insight into why Gerry was never selected to play for his country, seems like it was one of the only things missing from a fantastic career. I'm guessing it was because Scotland had a very strong squad during his pomp or was it more sadly because he played for us who were not as glamorous as the London clubs

3 hours ago, Sargent Pepper said:

In his memory, how about printing red t-shirts with the image taken from the surfer flag and selling them and any proceeds going to  http://www.cancerresearchuk.org ?

I know there are some on here that know all about printing t-shirts and I'm sure they would be popular and would be great to see Ashton Gate decked out in these t-shirts.

@Olé

RIP to a fantastic player who I never had the privilege to see, but have always known what a legend he must have been from the esteem in which others I respect hold him in, and how he's compared to City players I have had the fortune to watch. 2016 has been quite a year.

To answer your question @Sargent Pepper, being before my time I don't feel well qualified to produce a fitting tribute, but in the middle of merchandise printing/re-stock at the moment and if I can help with design or manufacture I will happily do so, though equally I know many others have images or designs (including the flag one) and the means to produce items as @Tomarse illustrated and I wouldn't for a minute want to undermine existing ideas and plans. Nonetheless, if people have ideas or photos that I could work from, I am happy to put something together and get it produced. 

Can anyone provide some insight into why Gerry was never selected to play for his country, seems like it was one of the only things missing from a fantastic career. I'm guessing it was because Scotland had a very strong squad during his pomp or was it more sadly because he played for us who were not as glamorous as the London clubs

2 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

I can answer that. In those days, Scotland had a lunatic policy of limiting the number of "Anglos" in the team*. As long as Billy Bremner was available (and he always was) Gerry never got a look in. He'd walk into today's team, of course.

* That's why they didn't take Alan Hansen to Argentina :o

• Admin

Recognition on the BBC sports site too:

Gerry Gow

Former Bristol City and Manchester City midfielder and Yeovil Town player-boss Gerry Gow has died aged 64 after being diagnosed with cancer this year.

The Scot, who also played for Rotherham and Burnley, made 445 appearances for Bristol City, becoming a club legend, before joining Manchester City in 1981.

After making his debut in 1970, Gow helped Bristol City win promotion to the old First Division in 1976.

He scored twice in Manchester City's run to the famous FA Cup final of 1981.

"Everyone at the club sends its condolences to Gerry's family and friends at this sad time," a Bristol City statement said.

Gow ended his playing career as player-manager at then non-league Yeovil Town, where he was in charge from 1984 to 1987.

A statement from Manchester City said: "Everyone at Manchester City FC is saddened to learn of the passing of Gerry Gow at the age of 64 following his brave battle with illness.

"A cult hero in his short spell at Maine Road in the eighties, Gow made 36 appearances for the Blues between 1981 and 1982."

Gow joined Rotherham after leaving Maine Road in 1982 before a short spell at Burnley.

A statement on the Millers' website added: "Rotherham United are deeply saddened to learn of the passing of former midfielder Gerry Gow. Once a Miller, always a Miller."

_91747198_gerrygow.jpg

I have a Gerry Gow t-shirt from many moons back. Not sure who produced it. But his was the only footballer image I've even worn and I'll dig it out and wear it tonight to the man in tribute.

@cider head - so sorry for your and your family's loss.

I met Gerry many moons ago as a young fan and he was as considerate and kind off the pitch as he was committed and talented on it.

Legend is an over-used word, but Gerry Gow will forever be a City legend.

Hi Folks

Manchester City fan here. Created this account to register my condolences for a true legend of the game.

I'm 43 and some of my earliest memories are of Gow...a warrior in every sense of the word

I genuinely cannot think of a player who had such a big impact on my club in such a short space of time

I think he only played 36 or so games for us but we all thought he was a hero. My only wish was that he came to us earlier!

It's nice to see how appreciated he was wherever he played

Much love from Manchester to everyone here.

5ft 8...tackles late Gerry Gow is ******* great

RIP

I can`t believe how much this has hit me, I can`t stop welling up. An absolute legend and well remember singing `He`s here, he`s there` on so many occasions. He was one of the reasons I got hooked on City and I`ll always remember the games I saw him play. Legend is bandied about far too often these days but Sir Gerry is one of the few who deserves to be called one.

RIP Gerry, taken far too soon.

1 hour ago, Malago said:

My earliest memory of Gerry was the opening game of the season against Sunderland in the early 70s. It was a war of game with GG in the thick of it.  We won 4-3 and I went away from the game wanting to play football like Gerry Gow.

Thank you for so many great memories Gerry.  Rest in peace my friend.

That was in August 1970 which means he was 18! Did he ever look like a 18 year old to anyone who saw him play? He seemed to come into the world a full grown man, people would be falling over themselves to sign this guy up now.

5 hours ago, cider head said:

Gutted really gutted.

His son on Facebook posted.

Today the world fell apart for our family , my beautiful dad passed away in the early hours of the morning ,64years young he lost his battle to the most disgusting disease . Me and my family are broken hearted and nothing will ever fill the void in our hearts RIP my hero my best mate my dad xxxxx

A class act,true City legend who will always live on in our hearts..so many great memories from the good days.. rest peacefully Gerry.

I met Gerry a few times - I always felt in the presence of a true great. My Dad made me a stool as a kid so I could see from the Terraces and I always remember the old man cheering the loudest when Gerry made one of his trademark tackles.

2 quick stories I can recall.

Whilst at Man City he got injured and lost his place to Dennis Tueart. When fit again Gerry couldn't get back in the side so decided to get stuck into Dennis in training. Sure enough he succeeded and Tueart got an injury that prevented him playing in the next game. Called in by Manager John Bond he was given a total bollocking and told he was a complete idiot "Gerry I was going to pick you on Saturday anyway......"

Also Stan Ternant shielding the ball in the dying seconds of a game near the Corner felt a presence behind him and instinctively cast out an elbow. On turning around and realising it was Gerry the last 5 minutes of the game were some of the longest of his life........

RIP Gerry - my Hero and top bloke. 2 minutes silence I reckon.

Here is a true legend.

As one who saw him play his all action display, courage and determination made him a stand out player & a fans favourite and in most Bristol City fans all time 11.

He was an inspiration, I have seen him literally lift his team mates and the crowd such was his personality.

A true great who will be sadly missed.

R.I.P.

30 minutes ago, cider head said:

True. Although for non profit i.e.: fan flags they appeared to have let it go, worth asking though.

If anyone were to use the same image I simply wouldn't involve the bloke and hope he doesn't see them... which probably wouldn't unless on the net for sale etc.

Archived