IGNORED

City v Stoke City - Match day 2

Davefevs

First half summary:

Very controlled 1st half performance and deserved to be 1-0 up on possession and processing the ball.  My 0-0 prediction out the window in a good way.

Back 3 good on the ball.  Mawson has that habit (like Webster) of passing the ball infront of his man, so he doesn't have to check back.

Bakinson assured....one bit of brilliant awareness on 36 mins when Stoke player flicked on.

Weimann - brilliant breaking the lines, but frustratingly sloppy with final ball.  100mph, slow down, son!

Wells, lots of unselfish doggies coming short, going long.  Again frustrating with his passing, but what a tough finish...that's what he can do.

Martin growing into half, couple of sloppy touches early on....great inspector gadget leg for goal.

Same again please.

9 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Bakinson’s passing is interesting. Interesting in so much as they’re very very borderline passes that keep the Stoke players interested, this means that space is created when they try to challenge and don’t win. It’s a dangerous game and undoubtedly one he’s playing very well, but I suspect he’ll play a few loose passes across the course of the season and we must remember what he’s trying to do. 

If he doesn’t misplace passes and continues to play like he’s playing today then I suspect this’ll be the only season we see of him. 

Agreed. It means as well there will be days when it doesn't come off. Against a more mobile midfield more of those passes would be intercepted...but maybe he knows Stoke aren't the quickest off the mark and so knows he can try these riskier passes.

Good finish by Wells but the goal was all about Chis Martin - fantastic play by him.

Bakinson - like having a new player, and a very good one at that.

Weimann needs to have a bit more compsure and Paterson needs to get in the game - small criticisms of a great team performance so far.

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

Good finish by Wells but the goal was all about Chis Martin - fantastic play by him.

Bakinson - like having a new player, and a very good one at that.

Weimann needs to have a bit more compsure and Paterson needs to get in the game - small criticisms of a great team performance so far.

just one observation on Pato (yes, been quiet), but he gave away a ball with crap pass on 41 mins....but then bust a gut to track his man.  Thats good to see.

1 minute ago, WesM said:

Bakinson has been outstanding so far.  Very impressive 

My only criticism is he could get on the ball a little bit more, but I think stoke are doing a job on blocking him off.

Looks classy when he gets on the ball though and always looking forward. For all the talk of Walsh and Morrell, he’s been a surprise to most I think

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

If no composure panic is excellent then yeah 

If 2 of our midfielders weren't playing well, then we wouldn't be controlling the game like we are. 

Yes, composure is key, but he's looking to get us forward quickly and I'd encourage that. Especially with Bakinson doing a great holding job. 

Well well well(s)...

The lads look very motivated, so credit to Holden so far for that.

Technically, we've been sloppy in attack.

But Bakinson has been almost flawless. A 9/10 performance so far and the only 2 times he lost the ball was playing through balls to the attackers.

Still don't like Pato and Weimann in midfield together. I think Nagy or Massengo would have been a positive inclusion today.

If we hold on, it'll be a serious test passed for Holden and the squad. Go on boys!

Just now, JonDolman said:

Bakinson looked capable of amazing bits of fancy skill when at Newport. But what I like from him so far with us is he isn't a show off. He does things nice and simply. Play forwards early if possible. Doesn't keep dropping back either. Like what Rene said there. Very mature performances from him so far this season.

Doing the World class basics well is the way I’d sum him up so far. 

Archived