IGNORED

Semenyo is not a striker they score goals

3 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

Such a negative view. Your man Semenyo was utter quality today. Take him out of the city line up and you have…literally no movement, no pace in the press.

Nobody running back to make interceptions and pressure the opposition into mistakes.

He’s critical to the way we play.

And his goal today was brilliant.

so get off your high horse admit you’re wrong and we can all move on.

He was not brilliant today. He was ok.

Did some good stuff - Yes a goal and assist was a good return.

Hes touch and decision making we’re off today.

5 mins from being taken off before his goal so not brilliant.

Critical to the way we play - Yes completely agree he gives an outlet and carries the ball and the team up the pitch.

Worth he’s place - Yes definitely impacted the game today.

Take him out the team - No have not said that ever - read my thread at the start of this.

Would I have subbed him before his goal - Yes 

MoM - No. Williams and Bentley were outstanding.

I am not on a high horse just saying what I see

49 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Thought he was pretty average today despite his goal - put my tin hat on but just being honest.

He’s touch was off today and wasted a few good opportunities to break forward as could not quiet get hold of the ball.

Would have got subbed if did not score when he did.

That said he’s strength is there to see and always look like he can cause trouble when he runs at the opposition.

Good goal although I thought he scuffed  it a bit for the shoot but they all count.

Can he play as a Striker through the middle still not sure consistently at this level time will tell.  

He is still some one I would play wIde in a front three - Yes have said that consistently from the start.

As to step up another level he is not ready he needs to improve he’s touch and decision making before he will be ready for the next level.

Pace and  strength is very important in to days game and he has both.

If I was a prem manager would I take a punt on him for £10/15m - No 

If I was a top championship team would I  take him for £3/5m - Yes

Seven goals so getting closer to the ten so just maybe a new thread…..

Hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaaha, Jesus, what an idiot.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Always try to be honest.

I feel that is always not welcomed when you question the players.

If you read the thread I started it with I have always said I liked him ‘but’ I don’t think he will score goals at this level to warrant playing him through the middle.

He is doing he’s best to prove me wrong and I have said as soon as/if he gets 10 I will be first on here to start another thread.

As for MOM today comments- No

Thats not being negative towards Seymenyo it’s just being honest.

Williams and Bentley were different class today and we’re both 9/10 Scott was also very good. 

In fairness to Seymnyo he did have a big impact on the game getting a goal and assist when he is not at he’s best is credit to him.

Again I am sure some will see if different but in all fairness if they do then they just did not go down today or not being honest.

I felt your initial comments were a little Ill judged as young players often make leaps in development. Some physically, in Semenyo’s case more to do with confidence and decision making.

However I do agree with you on his performance today. He was not at his best and strangely ineffective in possession. Even Nige mentioned that he was thinking of taking him off before he scored.

Shows how far he’s come when a goal and an assist and not one of his better games. He is on a steep development curve. Hope he is still with us next season. There will be a lot of clubs after him in the summer.

54 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Thought he was pretty average today despite his goal - put my tin hat on but just being honest.

He’s touch was off today and wasted a few good opportunities to break forward as could not quiet get hold of the ball.

That said he’s strength is there to see and always look like he can cause trouble when he runs at the opposition.

Good goal although I thought he scuffed  it a bit for the shoot but they all count.

Can he play as a Striker through the middle still not sure consistently at this level time will tell.  

He is still some one I would play wIde in a front three - Yes have said that consistently from the start.

As to step up another level he is not ready he needs to improve he’s touch and decision making before he will be ready for the next level.

Please  keep digging that hole?  ?

Goal + assist. 

And doing it often. Since Xmas you've felt he's had it in him every game. 

Don't need your strikers to be perfect.they will make errors, it comes with being a striker.  Toches can be poor, the run can be wrong. But it's about getting it right sometimes and then making something from when you do. 

What you do need them to do is contribute + feel that a goal is in them at any point. 

He's becomes that guy since Christmas, definitely a man in form. He's worked hard on the training ground, this had led to results, which leads to belief in working hard, its a positive circle. 

The only real question he needs to answer is how long his next "off spell" lasts.  Overcome that and he'll play at a very high level. 

Right now, he deserves all the acclaim coming his way. Its a joy to watch him clearly enjoy football

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Critical to the way we play - Yes completely agree he gives an outlet and carries the ball and the team up the pitch.

Take him out the team - No have not said that ever - read my thread at the start of this.

I'll defend the first part of your post, but even for an 'indifferent' performance the bloke has managed to get an assist and goal. That sort of thing can happen when you're a class player. Anyway, I did chuckle at the low valuation you put on Antoine: there will be plenty of Prem clubs willing to spunk £15M+ on his services if he continues in performing around current levels until the end of the season. And if they got him for that, they'd have a real bargain.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pezo said:

But Nige said he was just about to take him because his build up play wasn't good enough.

The sage returns ?.

Today he was quite loose in possession, held onto it a bit long, either allowing the DM to pin him or when wide, allowing the WB to pin him.

But he produced two moments of magic, assist and goal, and other good moments too, but not at his beast-mode best today, but still good btw…as @Sleepy1968says above.

Second half Chris Martin back to goal was brilliant, with a bit of the run of the ball, we might’ve scored more.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1

I am stunned at how little some of our contributors understand about the game and how difficult it is for young players to break into a first team at all levels of the game.

They will be the inconsistent for a couple of seasons or three for no apparent reason. Semenyo was a good example today. Scored a goal and assisted in a second. But the sparkle was missing at times. So what? Since he returned from injury in November /December he has been one of the sparks that have helped to rebuild our team.

Along with all the other young ones, who are breathing new life into the team and club. O'Leary, Tanner,  Atkinson, Pring , Massengo, Scott,  Benarous and others. Didn't Sam Bell do a tidy job for an hour?

We are on the way back and upwards.

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 4

Hansen’s long been derided for his “you can’t win anything with kids” comment re Man U in 1995, but he was broadly right, Man U won the title that year because Fergie’s Fledglings also had Schmeichel, Irwin, Bruce, Pallister, Cantona and Cole alongside them. With Bell doing well today, Benarous on the bench and positive vibes from the Academy about a few others, it seems increasingly likely that Pearson’s pre-pubescents are ready and raring, the challenge will getting the right oven ready Championship experience around them. Down the spine that looks okay with Bentley, Kalas, Klose, Williams, James, Weimann and Martin, the challenge looks to be having a bit more (good quality) experience in wide areas.

Not sure we’re more than a couple away from a pretty decent side, so hope that Gould and Pearce (or whomever) are on top form over coming months in shipping some wages and bringing in a decent new face or two - hopefully Kelly or Webster sales can give us some leeway, rather than needing to sell any of the youngsters.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

14 goal contributions in 19 games. Seems like a pretty decent return for a striker to me...

Screenshot_20220219-204852-213.png

In just 1300 minutes of action too.  Seriously impressive.

I listened his goal to today to Didier Drogba (lazy comparison) or Frank Worthington (golden oldie comparison).

4 hours ago, Better Red said:

bb.gif

10 hours ago, Better Red said:

You ate so wrong my brain hurts, I think my 5 year old dog knows more about football then you do, wouldn't surprise me if you thought Bobby Charlton was bang average or Peter Shilton didn't command his box

Just admit it you haven't got a clue about player development and reckon youth team football (I'm talking 6 and 7 year olds) should only be judged on results

You are like fozzy bear....a clueless unfunny muppet

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Someone might have upgraded him to 'impact sub'.

I said when he scores 10 Championship goals in a season I will change the title to ‘is a striker’

In all fairness he is pretty much there.

I still think he is better as wide in a front three.

Can he play down the middle - still not sure (yet) 

Does he need there - probably not.

Is he Championship level- Deff yes and could play for the top 6 easily.

His pace power and strength make a real diff to this team and the success we will have this year.

I just hope we hold onto him In the window.

Has he proved me wrong - Yes has done amazingly well.

Is he a Striker - Just maybe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Better Red said:

I said when he scores 10 Championship goals in a season I will change the title to ‘is a striker’

In all fairness he is pretty much there.

I still think he is better as wide in a front three.

Can he play down the middle - still not sure (yet) 

Does he need there - probably not.

Is he Championship level- Deff yes and could play for the top 6 easily.

His pace power and strength make a real diff to this team and the success we will have this year.

I just hope we hold onto him In the window.

Has he proved me wrong - Yes has done amazingly well.

Is he a Striker - Just maybe.

Based on what evidence?

The evidence of a season split between Holden and Pearson, when he played mainly as a wide-forward, and where you formed the opinion he’s not a striker.  That’s quite convenient…especially as since his return to the team post-injury last December he’s played as a central striker and done incredibly well (that’s not just my view but professional football’s view) and looked every bit a central striker.  You’re still not sure though.  Come on, swallow your pride “just, maybe”….just say yes he is. ???