IGNORED

Norwich fan seeking recommendations

CanaryCouple

Hi everyone, Norwich fan in peace. My wife and I are coming down to Bristol for our away match on Saturday 11th – we've been looking to come to Bristol for a while as we've heard it's a great city, and we're booked into a city-centre hotel from Thursday to Sunday. 

Primarily we're looking for a pub that'll be showing the rugby after the match – Wales v Scotland kicks off at 4.45, so the closer to the ground the better. Obviously it'd need to be away-fan-friendly, but it's just the two of us and we're very friendly types :)

Any other recommendations for must-do, must-visit, must-eat or must-drink are gratefully received... although the cheaper/better-value the better, as we're certainly feeling the pinch like most people at the moment.

Anyway, looking forward to a great weekend and a great match to boot – we certainly seem to like playing high-tempo and high-press under our new manager David Wagner, so you should certainly get chances! How are you finding life under Nigel Pearson? Does he still retain the majority of the fans' support?

Cheers,
Matt.

• Like 4

On 03/02/2023 at 17:11, CanaryCouple said:

Hi everyone, Norwich fan in peace. My wife and I are coming down to Bristol for our away match on Saturday 11th – we've been looking to come to Bristol for a while as we've heard it's a great city, and we're booked into a city-centre hotel from Thursday to Sunday. 

Primarily we're looking for a pub that'll be showing the rugby after the match – Wales v Scotland kicks off at 4.45, so the closer to the ground the better. Obviously it'd need to be away-fan-friendly, but it's just the two of us and we're very friendly types :)

Any other recommendations for must-do, must-visit, must-eat or must-drink are gratefully received... although the cheaper/better-value the better, as we're certainly feeling the pinch like most people at the moment.

Anyway, looking forward to a great weekend and a great match to boot – we certainly seem to like playing high-tempo and high-press under our new manager David Wagner, so you should certainly get chances! How are you finding life under Nigel Pearson? Does he still retain the majority of the fans' support?

Cheers,
Matt.

Hi Matt,

Have a look at this thread, plenty of comments / suggestions on restaurants in city centre and around Bristol. Certainly a wide range of recommendations 

Enjoy Bristol , I’ll let other’s recommend a pub for the rugby!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Suspect the rugby will be on in the Sports Bar at Ashton Gate, but going in there might be best judged depending on the result! ?

No colours would be absolutely fine.   Don’t think you’d be allowed in with away colours regardless of any issues it would cause!

• Like 2

The ones close to the ground may not be the best idea, probably ok but just to be on the safe side.
The only ones I can think of are Rising Sun, Coopers & the Sports bar which come under the above.
Best bet IMO would be Head back to the Centre area or Clifton. 

Few tips here.

https://www.westcountrygames.co.uk/watch-rugby-bristol/

https://www.designmynight.com/bristol/where-to-watch-the-six-nations-in-bristol

Cheers,
Matt.

Anywhere central would be fine to watch the rugby, but the sports bar at Ashton Gate might be the most convenient location.

Many thanks for the replies, folks. We've booked in at Izakaya one night as we're keen on Japanese food, and we're planning to check out some craft beer places (Wiper & True, Small Bar, Left Handed Giant). Wife usually likes wearing her Norwich shirt to games, but might be more sensible to go incognito... I like the idea of the bar at the ground post-match. Most places we go people tend to be friendly, Norwich fans don't tend to make many enemies on their travels :)

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, CanaryCouple said:

Many thanks for the replies, folks. We've booked in at Izakaya one night as we're keen on Japanese food, and we're planning to check out some craft beer places (Wiper & True, Small Bar, Left Handed Giant). Wife usually likes wearing her Norwich shirt to games, but might be more sensible to go incognito... I like the idea of the bar at the ground post-match. Most places we go people tend to be friendly, Norwich fans don't tend to make many enemies on their travels :)

Enjoy the weekend mate well apart from the footy obviously! Bristol is a great City.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, CanaryCouple said:

Biggest screen you’ve seen ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CanaryCouple said:

Best to check @Olé isn't planning on going, he loves charging at Norwich fans aggressively :P

• Haha 2

Not so long back some Sheffield United fans spent a long weekend in our wonderful City and loved the experience so much that they reckoned that they’d love to move here. - quite a compliment!

You’ll really enjoy Bristol, there’s so much to see and do and if you have time try driving or walking over the magnificent Suspension Bridge — you can admire the view of Ashton Gate from there…………..:thumbsup:

A stroll around the docks is well worth the effort if you have the time. You can get a passenger ferry from one side to the other. 

Cheers,
Matt.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Suspect the rugby will be on in the Sports Bar at Ashton Gate, but going in there might be best judged depending on the result! ?

Just don’t expect the quality within a stones throw of the ground that you may be used to at home! Last time we were at Carrow Road we stayed in the hotel on one corner of the ground and ate at the Delia Smith restaurant up the other end of the ground!

No need to leave Carrow Road at all - although not to do so would be a crime in a lovely City like Norwich. 

Cheers,
Matt.

Shocked to hear that somebody from Norwich would be interested in watching the rugby.

Back in 2007, me and @The turtletried unsuccessfully to find a decent bar to watch the Rugby World Cup final (yes the final, with England in it) after we'd played at Carrow Road. The only place we could find was some random bar, where the vast majority of the customers were dancing the night away while about ten of us stood watching the rugby (with no sound).

My only conclusion from this was that the nice folk of Norwich had no time for rugby! 

• Haha 1

You’ve lined up some good pubs there. If travelling by train also try the Little Martha Brewing Co behind Temple Meads. 

• Like 1

If Beer is your thing then get yourself up to the Bristol Beer Factory bar after the game and enjoy some of their lovely beers with the rugby. (You will get some of these at the Sports Bar but will naturally have a better selection at BBF)

Edit: This is just a short walk away so you shouldn't miss too much of the rugby.

Edited by PhilC
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Shocked to hear that somebody from Norwich would be interested in watching the rugby.

Back in 2007, me and @The turtletried unsuccessfully to find a decent bar to watch the Rugby World Cup final (yes the final, with England in it) after we'd played at Carrow Road. The only place we could find was some random bar, where the vast majority of the customers were dancing the night away while about ten of us stood watching the rugby (with no sound).

My only conclusion from this was that the nice folk of Norwich had no time for rugby! 

We're not a big rugby city, it's true. Plenty of pubs will show the Six Nations, but very hard to find anywhere that'll show domestic games (we're Harlequins fans). We went to Japan in 2019 and we're off to France later in the year, but don't have many rugby-following mates up this way, sadly. North Walsham (about 10 miles north of Norwich) has a half-decent team, but nothing compared to the West Country heartlands. We'll have to try and come back for a Quins game down this way.

7 minutes ago, hollydog said:

You’ve lined up some good pubs there. If travelling by train also try the Little Martha Brewing Co behind Temple Meads. 

Cheers for the tip... we wanted the cheapest weekend possible, so it's National Express down there, and Megabus on the homeward leg. Wife will probably be sick of me before we change at London Victoria... :)

If you’re looking for real ale pubs (aka craft beer) after watching the rugby in more sports orientated bar there are lots of great choices all around the Harbourside area to check out. 

The Golden Guinea and nearby Ostrich Inn at Bathurst Basin (300 yds from St Mary Redcliffe church, towards Ashton) are both great pubs. 
The Shakespeare on the Waterfront, adjacent to the Arnolfini arts place, is another very central great pub. 
Just off the Centre, in Denmark St is The Smoke and Mirrors pub, which is a pub which does magician shows (no, it is good!) and they have people doing tricks in the bar if you don’t want to pay to watch a show. 
The Christmas Steps pub - at the bottom of….Christmas Steps, is another pub full of character as is the walk up the steps to….Zerodegrees micro brewery (proper craft, not ale) who also do good food. 

King St is the major area for lots of bars, the Beer Emporium is downstairs and has a huge range of beers. I’d avoid the Small Bar opposite as it charges pint prices for 2/3rds glasses! Oh and King St Brewhouse is good as is the Llandoger arrow opposite. 

That’s probably enough for your first day, someone else can advise for the rest of your trip ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cheers,
Matt.

FFS. Ignore some of the comments. You won’t get any problems at AG even in the Sports Bar. Few years ago mite have been different, but against Norwich! I don’t think so. Safe as houses with yer missus. AG is a peaceful ground nowadays. Enjoy Brizzle.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CanaryCouple said:

Hello - if you like craft beer, New Bristol Brewery is great.  Five minute walk from Cabot Circus on Wilson Street and from there it's not far to a great restaurant "Caribbean Croft", especially if you like rum to go with your food as they have loads.  That said they do get pretty busy and may be booked up but definitely worth a look.

Hope you enjoy your visit to our lovely city.

2 hours ago, CanaryCouple said:

craft beer places (Wiper & True, Small Bar, Left Handed Giant).

Recommend trying New Bristol Brewery - they are just refurbishing their tap room, but will be completed end of Feb. Plus they will have Asado on site if you like a burger. Think they show the rugby too.

New Bristol Brewery | Hands-on Beers

ASADO - Amazing Wood Grilled Burgers Bristol (asadobristol.com)

20 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

FFS. Ignore some of the comments. You won’t get any problems at AG even in the Sports Bar. Few years ago mite have been different, but against Norwich! I don’t think so. Safe as houses with yer missus. AG is a peaceful ground nowadays. Enjoy Brizzle.

Reassuring to hear, cheers mate. Would've been surprised to encounter any hostility, but I guess every club has pockets of uber-territorial fans... even Norwich!

We've now got more than enough recommendations to eat and drink ourselves into a coma, so thanks very much to you all. Looking forward to a great few days away, and maybe even a point or three for our troubles... ;) We'll certainly come to play on the front foot, but we're vulnerable from set pieces and a bit prone to overplaying at the back (if you've not seen Krul's howler from Saturday, it's worth a look).