IGNORED

Not Had Squad Rotation Before.

Robbored

Try and keep up Huw. Currently as the league table shows City are the fifth best team. Before saturday they were 9th best team - and so it will continue all through the season. I would have thought that was pretty obvious to be fair.

It's not easy to keep up with someone who changes direction so quickly, but I shall try.

I mean, you don't even know where you're going yourself half the time, so it's not easy for those of us who are trying to follow.

Why don't you just admit you don't like Gary Johnson, have never warmed to him and will do a little jig the day he leaves? It would be a bit more honest.

The rest of the top six is Newcastle, Cardiff, WBA, Boro & QPR. I am sure money spent on players is dwarfed on all but one of those clubs...

Proving my point, that GJ is doing well to be competing with those clubs.

West Brom's spending in 07/08 was £16.5m

QPR's at the same time was around the £10m mark.

Cardiff's was around £14m.

Ours was £12m in that season.

Obviously the other two were in the Prem.

It's gone up significantly since - believe it was £14m+ in 08/09 and given SL's comments likely higher again this season.

We're probably spending about what WBA did in their promotion season and they were still on parachute payments at the time I believe.

how can he get most out of his resources but not the most out of his squad - just a slight contradcition :noexpression:

Resources would be the funds GJ has available. He has made some very good signings with a limited budget. Lets not forget either that he had to move former players out to allow for new players to come in and he has managed the books well.

I don't refer to players as 'resources'. They are 'the squad' in Robbo speak.

In this day and age I'd hope that the politically correct know that you are not allowed to mention the n-word. ;)

neone - is that the n-word you mean?

As in, I don't mind neone in midfield as long as long as he's taller than 5' 6", or has played in the champions league, or is a Scottish international, or is Welsh, or is Bristolian, or is a cold weather condition, or is the quickest player at the club or has played in the FA Cup Final.

Why don't you just admit you don't like Gary Johnson, have never warmed to him and will do a little jig the day he leaves? It would be a bit more honest.

You missed out the "I told you so, I always thought he wasnt good enough" post that will appear on here minutes later.

Loose rotation works in the midfield because:

1. These guys run around a helluva lot.

2. Every midfielder bar Elliott has the best form I've ever seen from them so rotation means the players won't get disgruntled.

3. No midfielder is standing out above the others except possibly Sno and he's not fit enough to play midfield atm.

4. Hartley especially seems to play better after being rested.

5. It keeps the opponents guessing.

I'm really liking Haynes atm. Defences will probably get wise to him so hopefully by that time, Saborio will have adjusted to the English game.

Loads of fans think they can pick a better team/formation than GJ when they haven't seen the players training, have no idea what's going on in the dressing room... even when they've not been to a match recently. It's part of the hallucination that they're actually somehow significant to the club, a hallucination perpetuated by the club so that they'll pay £20 a week.

So if they want to slag off GJ's tactics and think they know better, it's kinda part of the deal. I have to draw the line though at scapegoating individual players or casual accusations of nepotism.

2. Every midfielder bar Elliott has the best form I've ever seen from them so rotation means the players won't get disgruntled.

3. No midfielder is standing out above the others except possibly Sno and he's not fit enough to play midfield atm.

I'm really liking Haynes atm. Defences will probably get wise to him so hopefully by that time, Saborio will have adjusted to the English game.

Loads of fans think they can pick a better team/formation than GJ when they haven't seen the players training, have no idea what's going on in the dressing room... even when they've not been to a match recently. It's part of the hallucination that they're actually somehow significant to the club, a hallucination perpetuated by the club so that they'll pay £20 a week.

So if they want to slag off GJ's tactics and think they know better, it's kinda part of the deal. I have to draw the line though at scapegoating individual players or casual accusations of nepotism.

Rotation doesn't work because Hartley is far better than LJ.

Why should we have so high thoughts of Gary Johnson? 99,9 percent of the football world have never ever heard of him.

Why should we have so high thoughts of Gary Johnson? 99,9 percent of the football world have never ever heard of him.

So if I stopped 1000 people from the "football world" (where-ever that is) and asked them if they'd heard of Gary Johnson, only 1 person would admit to it? You sure about that?

So if I stopped 1000 people from the "football world" (where-ever that is) and asked them if they'd heard of Gary Johnson, only 1 person would admit to it? You sure about that?

If you were to go pretty much anywhere outside of the UK those stats would apply. I've got no idea of the names of any managers in any european second divisions.

I'm finding all of this 'Rotational' thing a tad confusing, perhaps you guys could clear a few things up for me.

I have to admit I'd never heard it mentioned of until the day before the Barnsley game, as I was under the impression that our management always stuck with the players that had showed their worth.

Question 1: Do we 'Rotate' the starting eleven after every game?

Question 2: Do we ever 'stick with a winning side'?

Question 3: Will players such as Gerken and Maynard be subject to 'Rotation'?

Question 4: Will we only 'Rotate' if we have more than one game a week?

Question 5: Won't players who have played really well and be keen to keep their place, be somewhat disheartened to be essentially 'dropped' irrespective of how well they play?

I am confused.com on this one. I was hoping we could just play our best players in their best positions.

If anyone could shed some light for me it would be appreciated.

I am confused.com on this one. I was hoping we could just play our best players in their best positions.

Many of the questions you ask have been covered earlier in this thread - if you have time and energy to trawl back through over a 100 posts.

If he's far better, why hasn't he shown it? I can't remember when LJ last had a bad game. Hartley has had 2 in his last 6 or 7.

I reckon Hartley is probably better too but the smart thing to do is to play the best team for the match on the day. And sometimes that includes LJ in his current excellent form and playing Sno up front because he's not fit enough for midfield.

And Hartley can't play 3 matches a week either apparently.

I'm not here to put GJ on a pedestal as that's just fighting an unstoppable force as I explained earlier. I hope he doesn't read here but he's quite thick-skinned if he does.

He is a great bloke tho. He'd probably take you down the pub and buy you a pint if you were half-decent to him.

I dont agree with Robbo much either, but the one thing I rate him on is that he doesnt have a pop at people because of what they believe in

Exhibit A:

Carefull! - you'll be accussed of being 'negative' and a 'Johnson hater' if you blame Gary Johnson for anything. Don't you know by now that he can walk on water?

If he's far better, why hasn't he shown it? I can't remember when LJ last had a bad game. Hartley has had 2 in his last 6 or 7.

I reckon Hartley is probably better too but the smart thing to do is to play the best team for the match on the day. And sometimes that includes LJ in his current excellent form and playing Sno up front because he's not fit enough for midfield.

And Hartley can't play 3 matches a week either apparently.

I'm not here to put GJ on a pedestal as that's just fighting an unstoppable force as I explained earlier. I hope he doesn't read here but he's quite thick-skinned if he does.

He is a great bloke tho. He'd probably take you down the pub and buy you a pint if you were half-decent to him.

I have once said that Gary Johnson is the best English manager around and I'll stick to that (it's not an hallucination).

I believe Hartley and Johnson are the two paired in the rotation and that would weaken us. LJ is decent but you can't compare him to Hartley who also need games - not rotation.

I do expect Hartley to be fit enough for three games a week on seven occassions til the end of season christmas/cup run not included. No longer picked for Scotland will give time for rest.

I have once said that Gary Johnson is the best English manager around and I'll stick to that (it's not an hallucination).

I believe Hartley and Johnson are the two paired in the rotation and that would weaken us. LJ is decent but you can't compare him to Hartley who need games - not rotation.

Harley is coming to the end of his career and cannot play 3 times in a week. He plays better when he's had a rest...

odd that we won at barnsley then since rotation doesn't work - while the impact will be felt later in the season when players will have higher energy and we can complete the season at full steam rather than stagger to the line

Point being (with a few exceptions) that many who believe in nepotism at AG don't bother to post it on here because a) Its divisive and has been done to death. b) Its not politically correct in eyes of some to bring up the topic. C) It incurs the wrath of the righteous.

This has nothing to do with political correctness - I agree it is totally the allegation of nepotism is divisive and indeed posionous, may even be libel. What it certainly is is undeserved and unnes=cessary. Both GJ and LJ are doing their jobs to the best of their ability and both are delivering for the club and supporters. It's a shame some do not appreciate the efforts they make or what they have brought.

Spot on!!

hmm, not a very mature debate this one is it?!

If it works as it should, the true benefits of squad rotation will become apparent in the last 15 games of the season, not the first 15.

We're a third through the season, some tough games behind us, and more to come. 1.71 points per game so far. Last year Burnley went up with 1.65. Birmingham made it in an auto place with 1.80, so we're very very well placed.

any more than 22 decent fit motivated players at the end of the season will still give us loads of options each week. thats much more likely playing the rotation that the same players week in week out.

I'm finding all of this 'Rotational' thing a tad confusing, perhaps you guys could clear a few things up for me.

I have to admit I'd never heard it mentioned of until the day before the Barnsley game, as I was under the impression that our management always stuck with the players that had showed their worth.

Question 1: Do we 'Rotate' the starting eleven after every game?

Question 2: Do we ever 'stick with a winning side'?

Question 3: Will players such as Gerken and Maynard be subject to 'Rotation'?

Question 4: Will we only 'Rotate' if we have more than one game a week?

Question 5: Won't players who have played really well and be keen to keep their place, be somewhat disheartened to be essentially 'dropped' irrespective of how well they play?

So, no-one else has a clue either then as to what is going on, marvellous.

Archived