IGNORED

Not Had Squad Rotation Before.

Robbored

And me for two.

I am amazed that people are still spouting this nonsense, until I see that it's the same old names doing it yet again. Give it a rest guys, you made your point long long LONG ago. Repeating it over and over doesn't strengthen your argument....quite the opposite in fact.

Am i the only one who thought it was a bit harsh that he was dropped after the posh game?

Im amazed he is still at the club, with the amount of unfair stick he gets (from fans only - as he is a very popular member of the squad), if i was him i certanly would have asked for a transfer a while back (plenty of Championship clubs would take him)

He's played very well this season (Posh, Blackpool and Barnsley to name a few) and is treated very unfairly by the fans. But with McCallister and McCombe playing well at the moment and Sproule on the bench, somebody has to fill the 'not good enough criteria' for the moaners.

Good grief! This thread is turning into a politically correct LJ 'love in'.

Or some people may think differently from you and be so annoyed by what you and a couple of others have said that they've felt compelled to defend the player.

Have you considered that as an outside possibility?

Or some people may think differently from you and be so annoyed by what you and a couple of others have said that they've felt compelled to defend the player.

Have you considered that as an outside possibility?

Point being (with a few exceptions) that many who believe in nepotism at AG don't bother to post it on here because a) Its divisive and has been done to death. b) Its not politically correct in eyes of some to bring up the topic. C) It incurs the wrath of the righteous.

Point being (with a few exceptions) that many who believe in nepotism at AG don't bother to post it on here because a) Its divisive and has been done to death. b) Its not politically correct in eyes of some to bring up the topic. C) It incurs the wrath of the righteous.

Oh right. I didn't realise you'd been appointed to speak on behalf of the indignant majority.

Do you know what 'righteous' means?

Point being (with a few exceptions) that many who don't believe that nepotism exists at AG don't bother to posr it on here because a) They can't be bothered and has been done to death, b) They think it's laughable c) It incurs the wrath of the non-righteous.

polically correct defence of Lee Johnson.... what's politically correct about defending a decent player who gets a lot of unfair criticism?

I'd like to add my voice to those who disagree with you and believe the majority of fans DON'T think LJ is only in the team because of his dad. In fact i'll go further and say it's simply your agenda to get rid of Gary and this is your only stick to beat him with due to fantastic success we've had in the past few seasons.

Correct. Me for one.

And me for 3!

I think it's about time this whole subject was nailed of this forum, it sours the whole thing too often. It's not a question of legitimate differering opinions, I've no problem if anyone doesn't rate LJ as a player, or thinks someone else should be in the team. That's fundamentally different from slandarous and personal accusations against a managers integrity. It's these sort of debates, that although, I believe, only genuinely held by a few, could endanger the whole strength of the club going forward.

They seem to me to be palpably untrue as well, as has been said they were still father and son when LJ was benched against Plymouth, despite, arguably being our best midfield player against Blackpool and Posh. Their relationship was the same at the beginning of the season when he didn't make the team and, of course, when he wasn't picked for what would have been the biggest game of his career at Wembley.

For what it's worth I think Lee's been instrumently in our style of play and success over the last few years. He has his minus points, I sometimes fear for the physical strength of the midfield when he's in there, certainly in a 3. The addition of other players this year means that he currently, probably wouldn't be in my first 3 CM's but I certainly appreciate he brings something to the table when her plays. Anyway, as i said, that's all a matter of opinion, and thats fine. But it's time for the nasty, negative, personal abuse to stop - for the good of the club.

When many people don't rate Lee Johnson and cannot see why he gets a place in the side ahead of much better players, they will seek other reasons why. That line of reasoning will inevitably lead to nepotism when no other reason readily presents itself.

Personally, I don't think Lee Johnson is good enough for this level and his stature is a serious disadvantage, especially for a central midfielder. He lacks the strength to play the position he does, in the way his father demands. When under pressure, he invariably passes the ball backwards, sideways or loses it. He has no strength on the ball and is easily brushed aside.

The Championship is a physical league and I don't think his footballing attributes are good enough to overcome his lack of stature and strength to warrant a regular place in a football team with aspirations to the top end of this league and beyond.

Make of that what you will - you want to call it nepotism - fine - you want to call it short-sightedness on behalf of the manager - fine. I personally believe, having been a father with a son in football, that Gary Johnson genuinely believes his son warrants his place. That is not necessarily nepotism, but simply that a father thinks his son is a lot better than he is.

When many people don't rate Lee Johnson and cannot see why he gets a place in the side ahead of much better players, they will seek other reasons why. That line of reasoning will inevitably lead to nepotism when no other reason readily presents itself.

Personally, I don't think Lee Johnson is good enough for this level and his stature is a serious disadvantage, especially for a central midfielder. He lacks the strength to play the position he does, in the way his father demands. When under pressure, he invariably passes the ball backwards, sideways or loses it. He has no strength on the ball and is easily brushed aside.

The Championship is a physical league and I don't think his footballing attributes are good enough to overcome his lack of stature and strength to warrant a regular place in a football team with aspirations to the top end of this league and beyond.

Make of that what you will - you want to call it nepotism - fine - you want to call it short-sightedness on behalf of the manager - fine. I personally believe, having been a father with a son in football, that Gary Johnson genuinely believes his son warrants his place. That is not necessarily nepotism, but simply that a father thinks his son is a lot better than he is.

Gosh - sorry Simply - didn't realise you'd been in professional football.

Sorry, but if I was of the opinion that the manager was picking his son because of who he is and not because he believes it to be in the best interests of Bristol City FC, I would want him sacked.

I am of the opinion that GJ has been letting far too many inconsistancies occur during last season and this season and although would not want him sacked at the moment I would not think it implausible, although when I started a thread about this it got laughed out of court so think for the majority GJ is safe for quite some time.

My view is that it comes down to resources and getting the best out of them - is GJ??, it's questionable at the very least

Obviously we're all pleased with where we are in league but it does hide the fact about poor performances and mismanagement - but it does depend on whether you just say 3 points is 3 points and happy with that or believe the inconsistancies will catch up with you at some point (it did last season and season before) and unfortunately as much as I love to dream at the moment it will catch up with ya GJ - so please for bcfc's sake sort it out

I am of the opinion that GJ has been letting far too many inconsistancies occur during last season and this season and although would not want him sacked at the moment I would not think it implausible, although when I started a thread about this it got laughed out of court so think for the majority GJ is safe for quite some time.

My view is that it comes down to resources and getting the best out of them - is GJ??, it's questionable at the very least

Obviously we're all pleased with where we are in league but it does hide the fact about poor performances and mismanagement - but it does depend on whether you just say 3 points is 3 points and happy with that or believe the inconsistancies will catch up with you at some point (it did last season and season before) and unfortunately as much as I love to dream at the moment it will catch up with ya GJ - so please for bcfc's sake sort it out

Rubbish, absolute rubbish. We are punching well above our station, for a club our size and resources. Compare how much we have spent on players, with the other sides in the top six. Also compare our attendances with the others in the top 6.

Gary Johnson is doing a fine job.

Rubbish, absolute rubbish. We are punching well above our station, for a club our size and resources. Compare how much we have spent on players, with the other sides in the top six. Also compare our attendances with the others in the top 6.

In terms of wages we are in / near the "danger zone" as SL says

so i'm sure SL sticking his hand in his pocket every year underwriting a couple of million and probably a few this year is well happy when he sees his highest paid players on the bench or not is the squad at all

so i'm sure SL sticking his hand in his pocket every year underwriting a couple of million and probably a few this year is well happy when he sees his highest paid players on the bench or not is the squad at all

We are in the danger zone, because we dont have the income of other clubs - you make my point for me - because our budget is small compared to others, but we are still in the 'danger zone' - this illustrates just how small we are!

you 2nd point is a bit silly, SL knows its a squad game.

If you actually look at transfer fees spent by Championship clubs and wage budgets (with a healthy respect for those just relegated from the Prem) I think you'll find we're very much up there these days. We're overspending and relying on investment from SteveL to do that.

SL is a business man as is Steve Gibson and as such keep out of football matters (unlike Scott Davison) but rest assured once he loses patience or faith in GJ he will be gone and your wet dream of having the better cv of Gareth Southgate in charge may become a possibility.

We are punching well above our station, for a club our size and resources. Compare how much we have spent on players, with the other sides in the top six. Also compare our attendances with the others in the top 6.

Why are we? Wigan got into the PL with smaller gates than City and are still there. Plus its well known that money doesn't guarantee success. Johnson has spent wisely and got some very good players in for not much dosh when comapred to todays market where an average player cost a million.

Playing the 'we are only a small club' card doesn't carry much wieght anymore. All it does is suggest that any success will be temporary,

I don't accept for one second that City 'are punching above our station'. We are exactly where we deserve to be.

If you actually look at transfer fees spent by Championship clubs and wage budgets (with a healthy respect for those just relegated from the Prem) I think you'll find we're very much up there these days. We're overspending and relying on investment from SteveL to do that.

The rest of the top six is Newcastle, Cardiff, WBA, Boro & QPR. I am sure money spent on players is dwarfed on all but one of those clubs...

Proving my point, that GJ is doing well to be competing with those clubs.

We are in the danger zone, because we dont have the income of other clubs - you make my point for me - because our budget is small compared to others, but we are still in the 'danger zone' - this illustrates just how small we are!

you 2nd point is a bit silly, SL knows its a squad game.

Riaz are you some sort of genious - stated the bleedin obvious!!

it's not silly at all as a club with less resources than some we need to use our resources better

Stern John

Lee Trundle

David Clarkson

Danny Haynes

Alvaro Saborio

Paul Hartley

all spring to mind have spent time on the bench, if they are not good enough to play then it opens up a whole other bag of worms

Why are we? Wigan got into the PL with smaller gates than City and are still there. Plus its well known that money doesn't guarantee success. Johnson has spent wisely and got some very good players in for not much dosh when comapred to todays market where an average player cost a million.

Playing the 'we are only a small club' card doesn't carry much wieght anymore. All it does is suggest that any success will be temporary,

I don't accept for one second that City 'are punching above our station'. We are exactly where we deserve to be.

Yes we are exactly where we deserve to be. Absolutely.

But I was responding to westy, who said that GJ was'nt getting the most out of this club and his resources, When in fact he is doing rather well.

it's not silly at all as a club with less resources than some we need to use our resources better

Stern John

Lee Trundle

David Clarkson

Danny Haynes

Alvaro Saborio

Paul Hartley

all spring to mind have spent time on the bench, if they are not good enough to play then it opens up a whole other bag of worms

Sorry, but I am missing your point?? those players listed are either new players or past it (not hartley of course) - why would they not spend time on the bench?

Yes we are exactly where we deserve to be. Absolutely.

But I was responding to westy, who said that GJ was'nt getting the most out of this club and his resources, When in fact he is doing rather well.

Agree that Johnson is getting the most out of the resources available, very well in fact. My point, and the one that seems to have pissed certain posters off big time is that imo GJ hasn't yet got the most out his squad. Hopefully thats changing as the last two results indicate

So, as I'm losing track here, you now think we are the 5th best team in the Championship?

Agree that Johnson is getting the most out of the resources available, very well in fact. My point, and the one that seems to have pissed certain posters off big time is that imo GJ hasn't yet got the most out his squad. Hopefully thats changing as the last two results indicate

how can he get most out of his resources but not the most out of his squad - just a slight contradcition :noexpression:

+ last few games have been against opposition at the wrong end of the table

So, as I'm losing track here, you now think we are the 5th best team in the Championship?

Try and keep up Huw. Currently as the league table shows City are the fifth best team. Before saturday they were 9th best team - and so it will continue all through the season. I would have thought that was pretty obvious to be fair.

Stern John

Lee Trundle

David Clarkson

Danny Haynes

Alvaro Saborio

Paul Hartley

Stern John - Was shit so deserved time on the bench, agreed

Lee Trundle - Turned out to be a poor signing, not a Johnson player, agreed

David Clarkson - Was in the team until illness, which 'knocked him for six' Team has played well, cant expect to walk straight back in

Danny Haynes - Injury/ illness/ suspension has kept him out, Saborio came in and done well, cant expect to walk straight back in

Saborio - Came straight in, replaced in the week for tatical reasons, we went back to 2 upfront on sat, Haynes was more affective on Tuesday so deserved to keep his place, with Maynard who is undroppable.

Harltey - illness ruled him out of a couple of games, that added to his age means he will spend the odd game on the bench.

Archived