IGNORED

Gary Johnson

ralphindevon

"Absolute nonsense, full of emphasising his flaws and remaining massively ignorant and ungreatful for what he did achieve here. You are embarrassing"

So what he says is incorrect? I don't think so.

If he's embarrassing then you must be one-eyed if you think that all Johnson did at City was fantastic.

Truth is GJ did very well for a couple of seasons and then lost the plot for almost another two seasons. His departure was about 18 months overdue. Millen has had the team trying to play some entertaining football and it has on occaisions worked out and we've left AG on a high after the Blades and Cardiff games. On other occaisions it hasn't worked out as Saturday showed but at least he's trying to play football. Johnson stopped doing that straight after we lost the play-off final.

Gary Johnson is a City Legend.

He turned this club around. If he ever returns to Ashton Gate as the manager of the away team, he will get a very much well deserved standing ovation from me and from all the other season ticket holders I sit near in the Atyeo.

But to some particularly those that have a thing for the blue few, he is a conference manager.

"Absolute nonsense, full of emphasising his flaws and remaining massively ignorant and ungreatful for what he did achieve here. You are embarrassing"

If he's embarrassing then you must be one-eyed if you think that all Johnson did at City was fantastic.

Truth is GJ did very well for a couple of seasons and then lost the plot for almost another two seasons. His departure was about 18 months overdue. Millen has had the team trying to play some entertaining football and it has on occaisions worked out and we've left AG on a high after the Blades and Cardiff games. On other occaisions it hasn't worked out as Saturday showed but at least he's trying to play football. Johnson stopped doing that straight after we lost the play-off final.

Surely when looking back, you look at the overall picture.

And you got to admit, that overall - gary johnson did a fantastic job?? surely??

what would you of done differently on the day?

all in the past, but I'd have never have taken Marv out of central midfield and put him at right back.

I don't think anyone has ever done it since either.

Personally I honestly believe that Orr shouldn't have been allowed to play on with a fractured cheekbone and should have come off sooner, despite his passion

all in the past though......and it's up their with Miller hitting the post at Swindon among the.....if only's.

15th position with 9 games to go and only 3 points needed to stay up. How is that very very close?

Prior to the Newcastle United home game, we were 15th as you say, 7 points clear of 22nd place (last relegation place) and with a GD that was far worse than most of the clubs below us.....

Position before Newcastle United home game:

CITY- 45pts

Queens Park Rangers- 44

Ipswich Town- 44

Derby County- 43

Watford- 42

Sheffield Wednesday- 39

Crystal Palarse- 38

S****horpe United- 38

Pplymoith Arygle- 34

Peterborough United- 30

Now unless my maths are terrible, 9 games left is 27 points to play for and even with clubs playing each other, we needed MANY more than 3 points to stay up.

As I said, GJ did extremely well for us but with 9 games to go, we were only heading one way.......and that wasn't up the table.

BCAGFC

We would have needed 6 and even playing badly under GJ would have got them with time to spare.

I seriously worry about comments like ones from Melksham Red.

Sure it was time for him to go but he did a great job for the club and there are people saying he got it wrong at Wembley?! He did bloody amazing to even get us close to the Prem from the bottom of league 1 in 2 full seasons.

Is it me or are Peterboro and the chairman a bit of a joke. It is reported that Darren Ferguson is going back and will be in the directors box this evening.

Listening to tonight's local radio; "Darren Ferguson is in the Director's Box chatting & joking with Darragh & Barry".

Meanwhile it's suggested Gary objected to the club selling Aaron Maclean and then today the Posh goalie handed in a transfer request as a protest at GJ leaving.

The fans are divided though, some saying the club should have done more to keep GJ @ London Road where as someone else chipped in with;

"You could tell he didn't want to be here. When he left Bristol, he said he wanted a break from football and then Bazza offerd him a good contract, so he came here".

Now at 7.00pm, the BBC have announced that although Darren F is not yet officially the new Manager, he has selected the team for tonight's match v Brentford!

Prior to the Newcastle United home game, we were 15th as you say, 7 points clear of 22nd place (last relegation place) and with a GD that was far worse than most of the clubs below us.....

Position before Newcastle United home game:

CITY- 45pts

Queens Park Rangers- 44

Ipswich Town- 44

Derby County- 43

Watford- 42

Sheffield Wednesday- 39

Crystal Palarse- 38

S****horpe United- 38

Pplymoith Arygle- 34

Peterborough United- 30

Now unless my maths are terrible, 9 games left is 27 points to play for and even with clubs playing each other, we needed MANY more than 3 points to stay up.

As I said, GJ did extremely well for us but with 9 games to go, we were only heading one way.......and that wasn't up the table.

BCAGFC

48 points was enough to stay up. We had 45 with 9 games left. Not that hard to work out.

With the dressing room the way it was when he left and the team having no belief, we would have struggled to get those 3 points! His time was up, we move on.

I've already said the time was right for him to go. Saying we were very very close to relegation is nonsense.

Listening to tonight's local radio; "Darren Ferguson is in the Director's Box chatting & joking with Darragh & Barry".

Meanwhile it's suggested Gary objected to the club selling Aaron Maclean and then today the Posh goalie handed in a transfer request as a protest at GJ leaving.

The fans are divided though, some saying the club should have done more to keep GJ @ London Road where as someone else chipped in with;

"You could tell he didn't want to be here. When he left Bristol, he said he wanted a break from football and then Bazza offerd him a good contract, so he came here".

Now at 7.00pm, the BBC have announced that although Darren F is not yet officially the new Manager, he has selected the team for tonight's match v Brentford!

In his final interview he actually said he's the sort of guy who doesn't need a break, and will probably be back in management sooner rather than later.

Not that many is it?

Just the ones I can think of:

Sam Allardyce - sacked.

Roy Hogson - sacked.

Phil Parkinson - sacked.

Roy Keane - sacked.

George Burley - sacked.

Trollope - sacked.

Coppell - resigned.

Chris Hutchings (Walsall) - sacked.

Kevin Dillin (Aldershot) - sacked.

Gordon Strachan - sacked.

Chris Hughton - sacked.

Brian Laws - sacked.

Gary Speed - resigned.

Micky Adams - resigned.

I cant think of any others that have gone by mutual consent.

this link seems to have all the stats for this season:-

http://www.fanhouse.co.uk/2011/01/11/season-of-the-sack-gary-johnson-only-the-latest-victim-of-manag/?

Crikey are peterborough trying to out do newcastle in the "most barmy way to run a club" stakes?

The chairman must surely realise that they are becoming a laughing stock?

Whatever the rights and wrongs of gary johnson, he would have atleast made the prayoffs, what more do they xpect?

Football really has gone mad with ferguson going back there...

I thought GJ did a pretty good job at City for a couple of years, he did what was needed to get us promoted, and the first year in the Championship was just amazing. The team just seemed to be buzzing, and a relatively small squad, with some limited players vastly over-achieved. After that, he started buying players and somehow managed to spend a lot of money on incredibly ordinary players who did not really improve the squad, and then managed to fall out with quite a few people.

As for Wembley, moving Marv to RB was not my personal choice of substitution. If Vasko was not good enough, he should not have been on the bench, and he could always have used Keogh as cover, who was still a registered City player at that time. Despite all the success, I just never warmed to the guy, then again, I found him totally irritating when he managed Yeovil. Overall I think he left at the right time, and to me, he would be a good manager for a side needing to be dragged out of the mire, and is definitely better at signing players when he has a limited budget. Oh yes, and one without an academy for him to totally ignore.

I thought GJ did a pretty good job at City for a couple of years, he did what was needed to get us promoted, and the first year in the Championship was just amazing. The team just seemed to be buzzing, and a relatively small squad, with some limited players vastly over-achieved. After that, he started buying players and somehow managed to spend a lot of money on incredibly ordinary players who did not really improve the squad, and then managed to fall out with quite a few people.

As for Wembley, moving Marv to RB was not my personal choice of substitution. If Vasko was not good enough, he should not have been on the bench, and he could always have used Keogh as cover, who was still a registered City player at that time. Despite all the success, I just never warmed to the guy, then again, I found him totally irritating when he managed Yeovil. Overall I think he left at the right time, and to me, he would be a good manager for a side needing to be dragged out of the mire, and is definitely better at signing players when he has a limited budget. Oh yes, and one without an academy for him to totally ignore.

Praise indeed for our most successful manager since Alan Dicks.

48 points was enough to stay up. We had 45 with 9 games left. Not that hard to work out.

Yes, but in those remaining games, we beat peterboro and Sheffield wed both away from home, would we have got those results under Johnson? Who knows.......

But if we had lost those games both of those teas could/would have been in better form and maybe got more points.

So the league table could have been totally different.......of course that's all ifs and buts but the bottom line is that with After the Plymouth game under Johnson we were only going in one direction and squad morale was possibly as low as when he came to the club, which makes the turnaround under Millen so fantastic,

But let's not best around the bush, in those final weeks under Johnson were starring at a major relegation battle and signings like mairhoffen weren't going to turn it around.

He joined us in a mess, turned us around and got us up, but then left us in a mess, albeit in a higher division

To write it off as.....looking at the table now we only needed 3 points.....thats simply navie

Depends how you define success, did a great job in getting us up and keeping us up and so forth, but for me, he's no Terry Cooper, possibly just a age thing though

In my lifetime

Dicks

Cooper

Johnson

Yes, but in those remaining games, we beat peterboro and Sheffield wed both away from home, would we have got those results under Johnson? Who knows.......

But if we had lost those games both of those teas could/would have been in better form and maybe got more points.

So the league table could have been totally different.......of course that's all ifs and buts but the bottom line is that with After the Plymouth game under Johnson we were only going in one direction and squad morale was possibly as low as when he came to the club, which makes the turnaround under Millen so fantastic,

But let's not best around the bush, in those final weeks under Johnson were starring at a major relegation battle and signings like mairhoffen weren't going to turn it around.

He joined us in a mess, turned us around and got us up, but then left us in a mess, albeit in a higher division

To write it off as.....looking at the table now we only needed 3 points.....thats simply navie

It's 2 wins at most. 51 points is almost always enough. I'm taking nothing away from Millen. He did very well as he has done in patches this season.

Once again I already said it was time for Johnson to go but he didnt leave us very very close to relegation.

He left us in a position we'd grab with both hands right now.

Depends how you define success, did a great job in getting us up and keeping us up and so forth, but for me, he's no Terry Cooper, possibly just a age thing though

In my lifetime

Dicks

Cooper

Johnson

I'd imagine most would define success in terms of league position, I might be wrong though.

GJ took us from near the foot of the third division to becoming a respected Championship side within 2 years, quite astounding really.

I think if he'd been given the time that AD had we could've gone further, just my opinion though.

I was around in the Cooper era and much loved he was, until the final season.

Your dislike of the man never abates does it. His last season was crap, the rest of his time here brought us considerable success, even if it was hardly the best football ever played in the last two seasons, but promotion, and stabilisation in the Championship was and is the name of the game. He did that, very adequately. Only his final season was a let down.

Genuinely shocked and disappointed that a man who did so much for our club is being talked of in such a bad way by some people.

Where would we be now if he hadn't eradicated the drinking culture and took us up? Probably still struggling in League One.

You are spot on in your appreciation of one of our best managers of the last 40 years, but you shouldn't be shocked - there are some really bitter people on this forum, unfortunately. The likes of Melksham Red are seriously reducing my use and enjoyment of this place.

Truth is GJ did very well for a couple of seasons and then lost the plot for almost another two seasons. His departure was about 18 months overdue.

thats the truth is it?

so you'd of sacked him 18 months before March 2010. I make that October 2008.

Tell me the game after which you'd of sacked him.

I know. I have praised his achievements, but have also highlighted his failings, and I do think that some of our current problems stem from his transfer dealings. I hated his 'not my fault' interviews, and felt that his management style sometimes needed to be more conciliatory. Maybe I'm also a bit sour about Basso, at 50 I should have grown out of 'favourite player syndrome', but I really liked Basso, my favourite City player since Alan Walsh. On the positive side, he was generally a good loser, gracious to opponents, and never whinged about the refs.

No longer bouncing, but still believing.

Just seen the recent posts - I thought he left at about the right time. He possibly should have gone after Cardiff, but after all he did, I think that granting him a bit more time was only fair. However, I do think that it would have gone horribly wrong if he had stayed much longer, as I think the team needed a slightly softer approach, and I think that the improvement once he had gone confirmed that.

thats the truth is it?

so you'd of sacked him 18 months before March 2010. I make that October 2008.

Tell me the game after which you'd of sacked him.

A month in which we picked up 8 points from 5 games (73.6 point season average). I think Mr Robbored needs to re-think.

The time he went was the right time. Mr Lansdown ensured that.

""so you'd of sacked him 18 months before March 2010. I make that October 2008.

Tell me the game after which you'd of sacked him.""

You are certainly relentless, Dave both in your persistant jibes at me and your persistance in hiding behind your keyboard.

Perhaps I should have added the words "with hindsight" to my post suggesting Johnson should have gone 18/12 before he actually did.

UTTER RUBBISH.

Have you forgot what Terry Cooper did for us at a time when we had to survive with part timers and YTS players, if it wasn't for TC we most certainly wouldn't be here now.

Agree 100% tc did everything for the club even cleaning the kit.The man openly cried at wembley. If anyone should have a statue or stand named after them at the new ground it should be him.

Archived