IGNORED

Maynard Off - Now Confirmed

Pete1975Legend

Aren't they doing exactly that by inviting bids ? It's up to the manager if Maynard is selected or not.

As for forcing him out - how the hell could the club do that ? The fact is that Leicester offered 6m and Maynard said no - I have no idea if the club would have accepted the offer or not, but it was the only offer on the table. How could they force him out ? And why should they, he's one of our best players.

If I was Maynard I'd be looking after myself and run down my contract, and I think that's exactly what he's doing.

I can't see him going in January - who'd want him ? QPR, Fulham or another team in trouble ? And would he want to go there for potentially half season in the PL ? He'd be better off waiting until the end of the season and getting a million or two signing on fee from the likes of a promoted team or lower PL team and having a full season at the top level on a huge wage. He'd be missing out on a payoff that would make him a millionnaire if he left in January...

Then he shouldn't be played, because he will not want to get injured, that will ruin his plans for future entirely and it also means he would be unlikely to put in 100%.

Andy Cole was under a longer contract had not refused to sign a contract or even asked for a move and his sale was a very quick deadline day sale rushed through because of our financial position.

and don't forget that during the summer and early season it was obvious had a prem club made an offer he would almost certainly have gone and guess what not one prem club did.

You know what i mean in principle though.

Why stop a lad from getting the opportunity to play in the big league? He's done his job here...worth the 2.5 million in keeping us up. Even if we don't get anything for him. He owes nothing to this Club.

In fact he probably feels hard done by. When signing for us, we were a club on the up and he was most likely under the impression, like many, that we were going places. Then KM was put in charge and it's gone downhill ever since in every aspect.

Seriously...It may look more optimistic under Del, but...we are still in a relegation battle. We still may go down....and the chances of us building a team capable of Promotion over the next 3/4 years are remote in my book.

Why with his talent would you want to stay in this backwater...in a team fighting relegation, and having to rebuild over the next few years?

He probably feels he's wasted a few years here. Good luck to him i say.

Sorry Riaz but I think your way off on this one, were not losing anything that we haven't known we could lose for the last 2 1/2 years since we singed him. At that time a business plan should have been drawn up to make sure we didn't lose any money if he did this - there was never any guaranty that we could sell him so that should never have been in the financial forecast, everyone agreed to the deal up front and as far as I can tell he has for filled his part of the agreement.

Maybe so....

But maynard could have been straight with the club by saying "I'm not going to sign a new contract"

Instead of "I'm happy here" and "I love the club"

You know what i mean in principle though.

Why stop a lad from getting the opportunity to play in the big league? He's done his job here...worth the 2.5 million in keeping us up. Even if we don't get anything for him. He owes nothing to this Club.

In fact he probably feels hard done by. When signing for us, we were a club on the up and he was most likely under the impression, like many, that we were going places. Then KM was put in charge and it's gone downhill ever since in every aspect.

Seriously...It may look more optimistic under Del, but...we are still in a relegation battle. We still may go down....and the chances of us building a team capable of Promotion over the next 3/4 years are remote in my book.

Why with his talent would you want to stay in this backwater...in a team fighting relegation, and having to rebuild over the next few years?

He probably feels he's wasted a few years here. Good luck to him i say.

I haven't got a problem with what he is doing. My problem is he should no longer be selected, except under dire circumstances, if he gets injured before any proposed window transfer we will lose a fee, if he is running his contract down he personally won't want to get injured and if Pitman is going to succeed or fail he has to be given his chance now and it would be fully justified 4 games no wins, no goals or do we wait for another 9 games no wins, no goals run.

Disappointed but not shocked.

Although anger and impulse will yell drop him, if he's the best available option he should play. He has thrust himself inescapably into the shop window, if he ever was gonna give that extra 10%, which clearly benefits the team, it is now.

No point dropping him on principle if he doesn't move in January, Pitman knows he'll be main man next season now.

Worst case scenario is Pitman approaching the manager and alluding to unhappiness if not selected in the circumstances. In that case, and only in that case, would I begin to consider benching Maynard.

We should drop Maynard in order to build for OUR future. Pitman being on the bench is doing nothing but harm for his development as a player...

If we didn't have a viable alternative, then dropping Maynard would be cutting our noses off to spite our face. But we do.

Give pitman his chance. He is hungry, he WANTS to be playing for this club and given the chance he COULD be better

Maybe so....

But maynard could have been straight with the club by saying "I'm not going to sign a new contract"

Instead of "I'm happy here" and "I love the club"

I think Maynard may have been happy, he may have been waiting to see what investment was made in the club, he may have been waiting to see if we kicked on.. all of those mays taken into consideration, he may now well of decided the club is stagnating or even going backwards and doesn't think it is going in the direction he hoped it was going in, so has now played his cards.

All this is hypothetical, but I would not be surprised if some of it was behind Maynard's thinking, and if so he has 100% done the right thing.

I always feared that his agent had persuaded him to run his contract out to enable a hefty signing on fee - he's probably also 'placed' him with a club already so he can step off in the summer - that's my (cynical?) view.

I suspect he wont agree to any accepted bids.

personally I will be delighted to see the back of this affair and let the other striker blossom.

If he does that, he's a ****

I haven't got a problem with what he is doing. My problem is he should no longer be selected, except under dire circumstances, if he gets injured before any proposed window transfer we will lose a fee, if he is running his contract down he personally won't want to get injured and if Pitman is going to succeed or fail he has to be given his chance now and it would be fully justified 4 games no wins, no goals or do we wait for another 9 games no wins, no goals run.

Exactly. Maynard is well within his rights to do what he is doing and while he can't expect the fans to be happy about it, it's his decision to make. However, if I were Brett Pitman and after announcing his intention to leave and not scoring for 4 games, Nicky is still given a start I'd just think "**** you, I'm off" and put in a transfer request myself. If Brett is going to be given a chance to be out main man then it needs to happen now, not in the first week of Feb after Maynard has got a last minute move to Fulham. It's nothing against Nicky and if Brett doesn't cut it after 4 or 5 games and Maynard is still around then get him back in the team until the end of the season and cheer him if he scores, but Brett Pitman has earned his chance and mow is the time to give it to him

About time too. Not selling him earlier when he really made it clear that he did not see his future at Ashton Gate was arguably Millen's greatest mistake. He knew what City could afford and reatedly chose not to accept those terms over a 9 month period. Maybe it was all his agent's idea but in the end, this policy led to disruption to team spirit, resentment by other strikers such as Stead & Pitman and arguably Maynard's own stuttering form this season.

I'm just glad he's now made his intentions clear so as a club we can act accordingly. There is no doubt Nicky is a talented player who is always going to score regardless of what level he's playing but we must look to the future without him. When someone hands in their notice in the real world the employer would use that time to allow the next person to work along side the leaver so handing over the role runs smoothly. In this instance we already have the replacement ready to take over the role in Brett Pitman. Common sense says we need to play BP from here on in. This isn't a slight on Nicky but preparation for life without him.

I don't believe the club could have handled it any differently. Had we offered him a new contract when he was injured it would have been a huge risk. We gave him time to show there was no lingering problems at the tail end of last season and once he had proved his fitness he was offered a contract. Did Nicky string us along? I don't think any of us really know. Maybe he should have made his demands clearer with an ultimatum thus giving the club chance to cash in or offer him what he wanted.

On the plus side we do have Brett Pitman who, in my opinion, has more to his game than being an out and out goalscorer unlike Maynard. Also if we can at least recoup our outlay or more from selling Nicky then it will free up funds to strengthen other areas of the squad that we all know need bolstering. I wish Nicky well but for me he is no longer "one of us" because he sees his future elsewhere. Player come and go with very few knowing the value of loyalty.

All i care about, is that Del picks the right team to win us games and keep us up.

If we go down, we have far more to lose than any fee for Maynard. So we play our best possible team...surely.

Nicky is not bigger than the Club. The Club however have behaved like COCKS...not Nicky. We wouldn't be in this mess if we were run professionally.

The lad doesn't deserve the abuse he's getting on here. It's typical football fan, pack mentality. Many don't think it through properly.

He's not a fan of the club, but an employee. He has no loyalty to us. He may enjoy playing football here...but he may enjoy it elsewhere, at a higher level and paid better.

Many fans seem to begrudge him making the most of his talents and benefitting from them. These fans are just as likely to be the ones who sit at home at night with their missus, and make the likes of Talentless X factor hopefuls and the like, become multi millionaires overnight. The world has gone friggin nuts imho. :disapointed2se:

I'm just glad he's now made his intentions clear so as a club we can act accordingly. There is no doubt Nicky is a talented player who is always going to score regardless of what level he's playing but we must look to the future without him. When someone hands in their notice in the real world the employer would use that time to allow the next person to work along side the leaver so handing over the role runs smoothly. In this instance we already have the replacement ready to take over the role in Brett Pitman. Common sense says we need to play BP from here on in. This isn't a slight on Nicky but preparation for life without him.

I don't believe the club could have handled it any differently. Had we offered him a new contract when he was injured it would have been a huge risk. We gave him time to show there was no lingering problems at the tail end of last season and once he had proved his fitness he was offered a contract. Did Nicky string us along? I don't think any of us really know. Maybe he should have made his demands clearer with an ultimatum thus giving the club chance to cash in or offer him what he wanted.

On the plus side we do have Brett Pitman who, in my opinion, has more to his game than being an out and out goalscorer unlike Maynard. Also if we can at least recoup our outlay or more from selling Nicky then it will free up funds to strengthen other areas of the squad that we all know need bolstering. I wish Nicky well but for me he is no longer "one of us" because he sees his future elsewhere. Player come and go with very few knowing the value of loyalty.

Not aiming this at you mate...but how do people think NM is leading the Club along?

He was given a contract based on a few years, and paid accordingly to what the Club think he's worth.

It swings both ways...if he had failed, the Club could have never renewed his contract, and sold him on.

If the Club want him so badly, they should have given him a longer contract to start with and paid him more.

It's life, and happens in every business everyday.

As we are always being told...Football is now only a business, and NM is looking after his business interests.

What's the problem? Do fans not get it?

I have tickets for Coventry and Southampton. I for one do not wish to see Nicky Maynard playing - or on the bench.

He will do little to elevate his own position, or his current value. His capability at current Championship standard is poor. He is greedy, not a team man and in my opinion (after watching Villa v Arsenal last night) nowhere near - not even close - to Premier League standard. Nicky Maynard proved he could score championship goals two seasons ago when the standard was much lower. Millen & Sexton should have moved him on & took the money when offered. Maynard, will either get a worse deal than offered by city if he moves in January or a very good one if he waits to move on a free. Clubs only have so much available for each deal. January is the clubs window, not the players. Nicky is now destined to become a footballing journeyman who never quite made it - pity for all concerned.

The king is dead, long live the king!

SUPER, SUPER BRETT...

Maynard has lost us millions of pounds, stop Brett playing just incase he changed his mind on a contract, and took 10months of wages when injured.

What do we get in return? Nothing.

Disgusting treatment by him and I hope he goes ASAP!

If he plays for us again I will boo him.

Sorry, enlighten me.. what have the Club done so wrong?

By making numerous poor footballing decisions, both in making poor appointments, letting managers bring in players on high paid contracts that we can't afford, and putting us into massive debt. Add that to allowing a 'manager' to drag us into the relegation zone. And expecting our top players to stay, under dwindling crowds and a rlegation fight. you couldn't make it up tbh.

Shame, scored some of the best goals I've ever seen and done really well in one of the worst squads we've had.

Time for golden boy to get his chance and prove all his disciples right... At least we can buy someone in January if we need to....

One of the worst squads we've had? You haven't been watching City long have you....

IF Pitman is played, let's hope he is spared the same amount of patience as Maynard was

during his long non scoring spells.

I have to be honest, very disappointed but can totally understand... I a lot of people saying drop him, calling him names, saying he stringed us along etc but in all honesty why should he stay?

I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to see what the club would be like under the new manager before he made his mind up and whilst we've done a lot better under McInnes the last few matches show there is a lot more wrong with the club than there is right with it.

if I was Nicky I'd look for another club, the lad is not getting any younger and isn't going to be able to really push his career forward with a team fighting relegation. He's given us 3 years, he's given us some amazing highlights to look back at and he's always been willing to take time out for the fans, no wonder some players don't want to sign for us if they saw how quickly we turn our back on players. A good example is Tinnion, everyone loved him when he was named the new manager and then when things went sour what did the majority do after all his years of dedication to the club? Spat it back in his face! How can we expect loyalty and dedication if we can't give it in the first place.

Good Luck to Nicky I say and hopefully now Pitman can get his chance and do well.

Archived