IGNORED

Maynard Off - Now Confirmed

Pete1975Legend

City have announced that Nicky Maynard has decided against agreeing a new contract and the club will now make him available for sale during January. The 25-year-old striker is out of contract in the summer of 2012, and talks over a new deal have been going on since the end of last season.

If no one from this Div or the Prem comes in for him though, will he then beg to sign a new contract with City?

Let the bidding begin,we must drop him now for the sake of Bristol City FC.

Trouble is, if Nicky ain't playing, he's not in the shop window so his price drops lower still. I remember 30 years ago Clive Whitehead had been playing in the reserves because the club could not afford the win bonus if he was in the first team.West Brom snapped him up for £100,000, a fraction of his true worth.

• Admin

Really hope some peoples messiah Pitman can step up and score the goals, but i think it will need a change of system to accomodate stead alongside pitman as cant see him playing the role upfront on his own.

I honestly believe the BP is a better finisher than NM, whenever he comes on as a late sub he always creates a chance for himself and sometimes creates more than NM did in the whole of the game.

NM has not exactly set the world alight playing one up front, I dont believe it suits any of our current strike force - yes it worked well at Millwall and home to Saints but not a lot else recently.

Given a longer run in the team I'm convinced BP would be a better player than NM.

he has given 100% in my eyes, and is our top scorer so really cant see how little shit is an appropriate way to describe one of the more naturally gifted strikers who has played for us.

100% is debatable some weeks, agree he is our top scorer but really only because no other striker has had a look in this season.

I guess it was plain to see in hindsight that he was not going to re-sign any deal and am surprised nobody within BCFC picked up this before.

I guess he still has some market value in January, but certainly not as much as he did back in the summer

I still don't think he'll go anywhere until the end of the season. Why lose potential signing on money in transfer fees?

I can see someone desperate from the Prem or a promotion chasing side overpaying for him (wages) and getting him though. Only if he can make the same amount of money leaving in Jan as the end of the season will he go.

And, i'd love to hear his reasons, from him. Wonder if any journo has the balls to ask him.

Guaranteed some of our moronic fans will boo him in the next match.

Good luck NM, if I was in your shoes I would be doing exactly the same.

I think he deserves to be booed. City would have given him every chance to play in the Prem as he would of been offered a get out clause if he had signed. This is all about greed and I for one hope he does not pull on a city shirt ever again.

Even Rickie Lambert signed a new contract with the Rovers knowing he was going to leave. fair play to him, wish maynard had similar morals.

Dario Gradi said not one of his fledglings has ever ran down their contract before, saying it was drilled into his players from a young age that they should remember where they have came from as Crewe always have a sell on clause.

Fingers crossed someone will come in for him and he will go, but I think his intention all along was to run down his deal and get the bumper signing on fee.

I think you will find him playing for Fulham in the very near future if the rumour mill rings true, especially after last nights blood bath. NM has been a great player for BCFC and you have to try and put yourself in his shoes, would you do anything differently; I for one wouldn't. The chance to play in the premier league ? Put yourself in the international window potentially ? The opportunity to earn serious serious amongst of money ??

Remember the lad is 25 years old and has a young family to support now, ppls focus tends to get sharpened when children are involved, he will do what's best for not only himself but his family. I for one won't slag the bloke off and I look forward to watching his career in the future with interest.

And, i'd love to hear his reasons, from him. Wonder if any journo has the balls to ask him.

The interview the BBC, from the start of the season shows that not many have the balls to ask.

When asked about what was holding up his contract, his answer was "I dont know", the reporter didnt follow up this answer.

I think you will find him playing for Fulham in the very near future if the rumour mill rings true, especially after last nights blood bath. NM has been a great player for BCFC and you have to try and put yourself in his shoes, would you do anything differently; I for one wouldn't. The chance to play in the premier league ? Put yourself in the international window potentially ? The opportunity to earn serious serious amongst of money ??

Remember the lad is 25 years old and has a young family to support now, ppls focus tends to get sharpened when children are involved, he will do what's best for not only himself but his family. I for one won't slag the bloke off and I look forward to watching his career in the future with interest.

We'd better all keep our fingers crossed (including Maynard) that Martin Jol clings onto his job !!!

'Even if City accept an offer, any transfer will still be subject to Maynard agreeing to a move. There is nothing to prevent him seeing his contract out, securing a move in the summer and pocketing a sizeable signing-on fee as a free agent.

It is understood McInnes will continue to select his strongest side and it will come as a surprise if Maynard does not start against Coventry at the Ricoh Arena on Boxing Day'.

Fair play to Maynard...I'd be doing the same thing.

He's a great striker and has ambition to play at the top level.

He's not going to get it with us.

We've only ourselves to blame. Who would want to be playing under KM and as a lone striker all this season. He's probably sick of the sight of this club.

Delboy isn't going to make it any better for him.

This is what happens when you appoint shit managers...we are losing him because of all the time he has played under KM imho. He's just had enough.

The promises he's getting now, are probably the same one's he got when he first signed for us. Who'd blame him...

I would like to see him dropped but that may not be the best way for us to recoup the money we paid for him. Tough decision, that's what he is paid for.

If I was Pitman though I'd certainly be knocking on the managers door if still playing 2nd fiddle to Maynard. McInnes needs to manage this very carefully or we could end up with 2 unsettled strikers.

This is how I see it. We took a punt on a player with potential who played from an unfashionable Crewe. We took him and gave him his big shot. Bristol City also took a punt producing a record fee of £2.25 million. He hardly set the world alight in that season and we as fans were churning out the same old "he'll take time to settle rubbish". He has a good season scoring 21 goals, then messes up his knee doing a private and dangerous activity.

He comes back, has a good end to the season. This season again he has hardly set the world alight. Why Nicky couldn't you of told us in the summer that you wanted to leave? We paid a huge chunk of money for you and gave you your shot. You injury yourself and only really have 1 good season!!! I think you owe Bristol City Football Club something, and at the moment I feel nothing more than disrespect and lied to from you. Not only are you screwing us, you have also screwed Crewe.

I really hope you get your move to the Prem and fail. You really aren't as good as your think you're. I'm not saying this as sour grapes, but I can name at least 3/4 strikers in the championship I would have over Maynard.

I don't really know what I'm getting at really, but it just annoys me when players clearly disrespect a club that has almost made him. He clearly has no feeling there at all.

PLEASE DEREK, GIVE BRETT HIS CHANCE NOW!!!!

1324541875' post=1480939']

The lad is 25 and has earnt more money in the last 3 years than I probably ever will! His kid should already be set up for life! Don't give me that bull that he has a young family to support and needs the money!

1324543169' post=1480950']

This is how I see it. We took a punt on a player with potential who played from an unfashionable Crewe. We took him and gave him his big shot. Bristol City also took a punt producing a record fee of £2.25 million. He hardly set the world alight in that season and we as fans were churning out the same old "he'll take time to settle rubbish". He has a good season scoring 21 goals, then messes up his knee doing a private and dangerous activity.

He comes back, has a good end to the season. This season again he has hardly set the world alight. Why Nicky couldn't you of told us in the summer that you wanted to leave? We paid a huge chunk of money for you and gave you your shot. You injury yourself and only really have 1 good season!!! I think you owe Bristol City Football Club something, and at the moment I feel nothing more than disrespect and lied to from you. Not only are you screwing us, you have also screwed Crewe.

I really hope you get your move to the Prem and fail. You really aren't as good as your think you're. I'm not saying this as sour grapes, but I can name at least 3/4 strikers in the championship I would have over Maynard.

I don't really know what I'm getting at really, but it just annoys me when players clearly disrespect a club that has almost made him. He clearly has no feeling there at all.

He doesnt owe Bristol city anything that's not stipulated in his contract. If we want something then it should have been put in his contract!

Best of luck to him, if i was to move jobs for better prospects and more mney then no-one would blame me and i would work 100% during my notice period.....

Why boo him, he could stay here and move for a big signing on fee at the end of the season if he was selfish.....

If we were in and around the playoffs then he would probably stay but we aint.

TBH Del will not be too bothered as if he was to stay then he would probably be on £15k per week which we could do without... We won't be left in the kak we have a ready made replacement in Pitman

Move on

To be honest I think if we as club rated Maynard highly enough he should have been offered a new deal upon his return from injury, as soon as he started banging in the goals again!

I'm not meaning to bring up Millen again but this was definitely something he would have had to address being manager at the time! Del has been left stuck between a rock and a hard place!

Ultimately nicky clearly had his head turned back in the summer! I just wish it was resolved one way or another back then and not now! Good luck to him if he wants to play in the prem, although I think he will struggle to play regularly there

You can't blame Maynard for wanting to make the most money he can from his career. He should have gone about it in a different way and for that reason he only has himself to blame if the reception he gets at Coventry is less than warm

However, strongest team or not, Del has to go with Pitman in te next game- I don't even see it as a choice. If I were Brett and after my rival for a starting spot had declared he wasn't hanging around ad I didn't start, I'd be putting in a transfer request. We've got 1 month to replace Maynard and Brett needs to be given the chance to show he can be that replacement. We can't afford to wait until the last hours of the transfer window to find out whether Brett is our new main-man, we need to know now

Liar!! :tongue:

I read this and just had to log on to reply. I would bet anything that just about everybody on here has managed to provide for their families for much less than maynard is on now, never mind what he hopes to be paid in the future, so the fact he has a child now is irrelevent to some extent. Yes a footballers career is reletivly short, but it has always been that way and much worse. Maybe he should look into the 'real world' and see people getting made redundant etc. I'd say that would sharpen his focus.

On the whole I can see it from all sides but I do think we have been strung along whilest he decides if he wants cake or eats it. But I guess thats his right as he doesn't have to sign for us, as long as he fulfils his current contract obligations he is not doing wrong. I guess it's the manner which he has gone about this, and this is partly the clubs fault for letting him have so much time to indicate his decision. BTW I don't think this is down to McInness, he has arrived in the middle of all this, he doesn't strike me as someone who would let this get out of hand like this. I think it's a shame that the fresh faced Maynard who arrived to sign with his Mum has gone the way of most other footballers.

It also doesn't matter what Leicester offered in the summer as they weren't the club he wanted.

Anyway we know now and have to act. So does he get picked or not? Picking him would put him in the shop window, but to be honest anyone interested would have had him watched for months anyway. He also risks injury. What happens if he injures himself and again is laid off for a long time? Will he try?

I think maybe we should still play him but is a much lesser role, we have to find a system without him if he is off, no good waiting until he is gone. Pitman needs starts, his lack of time on the pitch is a huge concern as we have put all our faith in maynard with on the whole little result. I'd put Maynard on the subs bench from now on.

Disappointed but not surprised. As far as I'm concerned he's led the club on for far to long and deserves all he gets in terms of dissatisfaction from the fans (if he ever plays for us again). He should be dropped with immediate effect and Pitman given the chance to do what he does best. It does mean though we now need a pacey striker and the big man striker that DMc wants.

Didn't see us signing 2 strikers in January but its a must now.

I said a couple of months ago, when me and my old man saw him at the ticket office during the week, that he told us then, he was not going to sign the contract. I said then, he should be dropped and Pitman starting, as he wants to play for us.

I can't believe some people are sticking up for him, yes he has to look after his own interests, but he could have said 6 months ago, that he wanted out, and more teams might have been interested, plus giving us more money in a bidding war. No, all he thought was about himself, and **** Bristol City Football Club. I hope Del drops him and plays Bret. He has played the club and supporters for total mugs, so please Nicky, **** off a.s.a.p.

You can't blame Maynard for wanting to make the most money he can from his career. He should have gone about it in a different way and for that reason he only has himself to blame if the reception he gets at Coventry is less than warmHowever, strongest team or not, Del has to go with Pitman in te next game- I don't even see it as a choice. If I were Brett and after my rival for a starting spot had declared he wasn't hanging around ad I didn't start, I'd be putting in a transfer request. We've got 1 month to replace Maynard and Brett needs to be given the chance to show he can be that replacement. We can't afford to wait until the last hours of the transfer window to find out whether Brett is our new main-man, we need to know now

Sorry can i just ask in what way could he have gone about it better?? There was an offer made from Leicester City in August for a proven Championship striker in Nicky Maynard, can we assume that BCFC gave Nicky the opportunity to speak to Leicester. NM turns down a potential move to Leicester. He has one year left on his contract, at no point has he slated BCFC, at no point has he not honoured the terms of his contract with BCFC, at no point has this situation been washed in the public and press.

Nicky Maynard is honouring the terms of his contract, Nicky Maynard is our top scorer, and imo has not disrespected the club or not given 100% to the cause......He is a player with plenty of ambition and a lot of talent and i really cant see how he could have handled this situation any better. At no point has he come out and said he wants to stay, all he has said is he would consider a new offer but would like to weigh his options up.

I am bemused at the abuse he is getting on here, including people wanting him to fail in the Prem or how he has strung us along.....As mentioned earlier it is not Nicky Maynards responsibility to protect the finances of our football club, if you were him would you have gone somewhere you didnt want to join in Leicester just so BCFC could get 6m? i dont think anyone would.

As mentioned by someone earlier good luck to him and i also will be watching his career with interest after BCFC

Archived