IGNORED

Players Departing/staying Thread 2012 [Merged]

Red Army 79

Carey has earnt his new deal, really pleased he is staying. He wont be a first choice- but he is a reliable stand in and is clearly good to have around the place.

Big year for Edwards- but he has had strong loan spells and has potential.

Shame if Cisse leaves but its no disaster by any means- Skuse has really stepped up to the plate of late and I can see him having a big year.

Current squad after the retained list is released;

Goalkeepers; Dean Gerken (Summer 2013), Lewis Carey (Offered new deal) (2)

Full Backs; Richard Foster (Summer 2014), Joe Edwards (Offered new deal) (2)

Centre Backs; Louis Carey (Offered new deal), James Wilson (Summer 2014), Liam Fontaine (Summer 2014), Lewin Nyatanga (Summer 2013), Damion Stewart (Summer 2013), Aaron Amadi-Holloway (Summer 2012, Offered short term deal) (6)

Wingers/Wide Midfielders; Albert Adomah (Summer 2014), Yannick Bolasie (Summer 2013), Martyn Woolford (Summer 2014), Joe Bryan (Summer 2013) (4)

Central Midfielders; Marvin Elliott (Signed new deal summer 2011, expiry date unknown), Cole Skuse (Summer 2013), Neil Kilkenny (Summer 2014), Stephen Pearson (Offered new deal), Bobby Reid (Summer 2013) (5)

Strikers; Jon Stead (Summer 2013), Brett Pitman (Summer 2013), Ryan Taylor (Summer 2014) (3)

Total = 22 with 5 part of the development squad

----------------------------------Gerken------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------Carey-------------------------------------------

Foster---------------Carey--------------------Fontaine------------------------

Edwards------------Wilson-------------------Nyatanga------------------------

----------------------Stewart-------------------------------------------------------

Adomah-------------Skuse--------------------Kilkenny-------------Woolford

Bolasie---------------Elliott--------------------Pearson-----------------Bryan

------------------------Stead---------------------Pitman-------------------------

------------------------Taylor------------------------------------------------------

I'd expect Damion Stewart to move on, possible Holloway if he can find a better deal. I'd like us to get rid of Nyatanga & Killkenny. Out on Loan, Bryan & Carey.

Wishful thinking - who is going to better their wages? And if not why would they move for less?

Season loan for Stewart maybe - with us still paying 80% of his wages is as good as it gets

CR

Am I the only one a bit gutted Ribeiro is leaving? I know he's made of glass but he's a million miles better than that shower of shite Foster!

He hasn't been given a chance. Had a handful of starts and played well in the ones I saw. I wonder how much we invested in his development to play him for a few games, loan him out and then bin him?

He hasn't been given a chance. Had a handful of starts and played well in the ones I saw. I wonder how much we invested in his development to play him for a few games, loan him out and then bin him?

I think we might regret this decision, he's got great skill, technique and a football brain. If he gets over his injuries, he'll end up in the Prem. Foster won't.

Not disputing you Arn as your normally ITK, but to me "cannot afford the wages" seems silly as we know what were getting in Cisse, and it certainly wouldn't be a waste IMO, theres just no gamble involved.

And I thought the process of releasing the deadwood and high earners would alllow us to get some quality players. Cisse is more than likely one of the high earners but its justified in his performances. Im also guessing that the same rule will prevent Amougou joining permenatly too then.

Told you something was in the fire

The club are not willing to pay the players demands and he,s off to look elsewhere

sag heads want david clarkson on their forum would be a great signing for them..

I would expect he could get a deal at a SPL club.

I think we might regret this decision, he's got great skill, technique and a football brain. If he gets over his injuries, he'll end up in the Prem. Foster won't.

opinion (like so many on here) is polarised - i think it's a mistake letting him go, but that is obviously based only on what we've seen and not day in day out training ground effort etc.

he always looked a really good prospect and has only recently made strides to get past his injuries - he was/is a strong RB and lord knows we need one of those.

anyhow, what will be etc etc

Keepers:

Dean Gerken

Full Backs:

Joe Edwards

Richard Foster

Central Defenders:

Damion Stewart

Liam Fontaine

Lewin Nyatanga

Louis Carey

James Wilson

Midfielders:

Stephen Pearson

Marvin Elliott

Neil Kilkenny

Cole Skuse

Martyn Woolford

Wingers:

Yannick Bolasie

Albert Adomah

Forwards:

Jon Stead

Ryan Taylor

Brett Pitman

Development Group:

Aaron Amadi-Holloway

Joe Bryan

Lewis Carey

Bobby Reid

So, some decks cleared already. A couple of players still to be resolved (Carey and Cisse) but assuming Louis stays and Cisse doesn't seems realistic.

On that basis I'd try to move out Stewart, Nyatanga, Elliott & Wilson as well. The first two aren't IMO of sufficient quality, Elliott for me would be someone who has some value but we could do with a different type of player in the middle, and Wilson is just not available often enough to progress.

Having done that I'd be looking to sign a keeper, two full backs (one must be left sided minimum), two centre halves, a strong midfield general who can influence a game, a natural left winger, and a pacy striker. At least two of those must be set piece takers. I'd be ok with one or two being season long loans as long as they're of the right standard.

That would give us a first team squad of 22 and a development group of four plus whoever is promoted from the academy, which I think is the right number, and it would have a decent balance of 2 players per position with some able to also cover others.

Keepers:

Dean Gerken

Full Backs:

Joe Edwards

Richard Foster

Central Defenders:

Damion Stewart

Liam Fontaine

Lewin Nyatanga

Louis Carey

James Wilson

Midfielders:

Stephen Pearson

Marvin Elliott

Neil Kilkenny

Cole Skuse

Martyn Woolford

Wingers:

Yannick Bolasie

Albert Adomah

Forwards:

Jon Stead

Ryan Taylor

Brett Pitman

Development Group:

Aaron Amadi-Holloway

Joe Bryan

Lewis Carey

Bobby Reid

So, some decks cleared already. A couple of players still to be resolved (Carey and Cisse) but assuming Louis stays and Cisse doesn't seems realistic.

On that basis I'd try to move out Stewart, Nyatanga, Elliott & Wilson as well. The first two aren't IMO of sufficient quality, Elliott for me would be someone who has some value but we could do with a different type of player in the middle, and Wilson is just not available often enough to progress.

Having done that I'd be looking to sign a keeper, two full backs (one must be left sided minimum), two centre halves, a strong midfield general who can influence a game, a natural left winger, and a pacy striker. At least two of those must be set piece takers. I'd be ok with one or two being season long loans as long as they're of the right standard.

That would give us a first team squad of 22 and a development group of four plus whoever is promoted from the academy, which I think is the right number, and it would have a decent balance of 2 players per position with some able to also cover others.

Why Wilson mucker?

I think he has got the making of being our best centre back by miles

think we will have trouble off loading any of the players above. We pay good wages, no chance these players will leave when wages are dropping, they will try and get as much money from us, before leaving on a free, where they will get a signing on fee and lower wages.

And as people seem to think they are crap, why would anyone want to sign them

Would we pay off their contracts? Would the players agree to it.

Personally, I think we are stuck with them until their contracts run out.

opinion (like so many on here) is polarised - i think it's a mistake letting him go, but that is obviously based only on what we've seen and not day in day out training ground effort etc.

he always looked a really good prospect and has only recently made strides to get past his injuries - he was/is a strong RB and lord knows we need one of those.

anyhow, what will be etc etc

Quite right . Yes Im saddened obviously that Ribeiro hasnt been retained especially as he first came to the club a shy young 10 year old I thinkit was..

However and whatever many think of him hes confident in his own ability as a footballer and I dont think he actually wanted to stay. Essentially Hes now got a free.

However Que sera sera...I shall now champion another Academy product Edwards... and sincerely hope he isnt dicked about as well and finally establishes himself in the first team. To have someone come through the ranks and serve the club for a long period of time is all we can ask. Apart from £20million from Lansdown of course...

Per ardua ad astra....cumon u reds!!! Im really looking forward to next season and this one hasnt even ended yet for some...

I think some people are kidding themselves about how many players we're going to sign. If Carey stays I think we'll bring in 1 keeper, 1 centre half and a left back, one centre mid a new striker and possibly a left winger. Foster can cover left back with Edwards/Carey covering right back if he flits. The new centre mid will play with Skuse with the striker up front with Stead. Any bigger problems will be covered with loans. If Nyatanga and Stewart leave I could see us with a squad of only 18-20 senior players

Why Wilson mucker?

I think he has got the making of being our best centre back by miles

He's 23 and he's managed just five games for us. I'd like him to succeed but I think being unavailable a lot has hampered his development, so I was thinking just let him move his career on elsewhere and free up a space. Was borderline on it though.

I'll be very happy if he stays fit all season and does well, and I doubt he's expensive either.

I think some people are kidding themselves about how many players we're going to sign. If Carey stays I think we'll bring in 1 keeper, 1 centre half and a left back, one centre mid a new striker and possibly a left winger. Foster can cover left back with Edwards/Carey covering right back if he flits. The new centre mid will play with Skuse with the striker up front with Stead. Any bigger problems will be covered with loans. If Nyatanga and Stewart leave I could see us with a squad of only 18-20 senior players

Absolutely, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us make just 5 signings this summer, a keeper to challenge Gerken for no.1, a left back, a centre back, a left sided midfielder and a striker.

He's 23 and he's managed just five games for us. I'd like him to succeed but I think being unavailable a lot has hampered his development, so I was thinking just let him move his career on elsewhere and free up a space. Was borderline on it though.

I'll be very happy if he stays fit all season and does well, and I doubt he's expensive either.

He's actually made 25 league appearances for us, 21 of them this season (14 starts).

Absolutely.

I shan't be at all surprised to see us make just 5 signings this summer:

A keeper to compete with Gerken for no.1, a left back, a centre back, a left sided midfielder and a striker.

As for Wilson he's actually made 25 league appearances for us, 21 of them this season (14 starts).

Ah, misread the page. But still, to progress he needs to be available 40 games a season not half that.

Just to add, I only think we will sign 8 or 9 players if we shift three or four out. We certainly won't have a squad smaller than 22 after you take away the kids who haven't played yet.

Archived