IGNORED

Steve Davies - Signs On 3 Year Deal - Official

Andrew_V1

All this talk of signing two players is possibly over the top.

If I were interviewing people for a specific position, I'd whittle it down to two, possibly three, then go with the one that impresses me.

Didn't G J pull out of a deal after talks with the player, because he wasn't impressed by his attitude?

Maybe but at the same time, wasn't McInnes specifically after a pacey striker which, I think, was why he wasn't interested in Davies originally. Plus we know money's potentially being freed up in the budget by Bolasie going and we've only got three strikers at the moment - one of whom is untried and one just hasn't delivered under McInnes.

I also still don't expect a creative midfielder to arrive - though not expressly stated I suspect part of the reason Wilson and Anderson were signed were to free up our central midfielders from covering other positions as - Morris aside - we couldn't find the midfielder we were looking for at the right budget.

It wouldn't shock me if we got two strikers (no idea whether that'd be Campbell and Davies, mind) - I don't think it's all that far-fetched.

If you think we're should only ever sign players with a burning ambition to play for Bristol City then I'm afraid you need a wake up call my friend. We ain't a big fish in this pond. Players don't want to play for us because of who we are, and in general never will. If he comes in and does well, who bloody cares?!?

If you had read my past posts, I think you will find, what you have posted here, is exactly what I posted elsewhere.

What I am suggesting, is moving to a club based on where it is, does not show a appetite to want to achieve in the game, it shows he wants to move to a certain area. Most footballers who want to achieve in the game, move to a club best suited to showcase their talents. Not to a area which may most suit their lifestyle.

So to me, it looks like he doesn't have the real burning ambition to succeed. If you get my point.

So to me, it looks like he doesn't have the real burning ambition to succeed. If you get my point.

Just as well really - otherwise he'd get chased by supporters with pitchforks when he ultimately hands in a transfer request...

Being less glib, I thought the 'family reasons' for leaving Derby were unknown. If he's torn between us or Ipswich it hardly seems a purely geographic thing. There's maybe more going on than we realise - certainly Clough seemed to understand his reasons and not begrudge his desire to leave so I doubt they were spurious. To be honest if someone understands the importance of family it implies a sense of commitment, priority and unselfishness. I've got no problem with that.

Maybe but at the same time, wasn't McInnes specifically after a pacey striker which, I think, was why he wasn't interested in Davies originally. Plus we know money's potentially being freed up in the budget by Bolasie going and we've only got three strikers at the moment - one of whom is untried and one just hasn't delivered under McInnes.

I also still don't expect a creative midfielder to arrive - though not expressly stated I suspect part of the reason Wilson and Anderson were signed were to free up our central midfielders from covering other positions as - Morris aside - we couldn't find the midfielder we were looking for at the right budget.

It wouldn't shock me if we got two strikers (no idea whether that'd be Campbell and Davies, mind) - I don't think it's all that far-fetched.

Perhaps Davies coming in could be a result of Del rethinking his tactics? As he can play left wing you may end up with a 433 formation with him and Adomah either side of Stead? Or he'll play centrally with Albert and Anderson outside him providing the pace. I know Del ha stated on several occasions that he likes a 442 but if he can't get the right personel in for that I'm sure he'll change his thinking

Personally I think a forward line containing Stead, Davies, Anderson and Albert would do some damage in this division

Just as well really - otherwise he'd get chased by supporters with pitchforks when he ultimately hands in a transfer request...

Being less glib, I thought the 'family reasons' for leaving Derby were unknown. If he's torn between us or Ipswich it hardly seems a purely geographic thing. There's maybe more going on than we realise - certainly Clough seemed to understand his reasons and not begrudge his desire to leave so I doubt they were spurious. To be honest if someone understands the importance of family it implies a sense of commitment, priority and unselfishness. I've got no problem with that.

Ain't that the truth! I'd rather someone with ambition to succeed trying to drive us forward in the short term and moving on, than some waster, here for the good life, putting in half arsed performances, but being eulogised because he is loyal.

Oh I have no problem with it, and applaud it. I just don't know if it is quite right in terms of football. If there are family issues (hopefully not) again maybe his focus isn't fully on football at the moment.

Ain't that the truth! I'd rather someone with ambition to succeed trying to drive us forward in the short term and moving on, than some waster, here for the good life, putting in half arsed performances, but being eulogised because he is loyal.

I think there is a lot of truth to this.

Like with our manager, I'd rather players looking at playing for City as a chance to further their career than as settling. Our manager probably doesn't see himself at City in 4-5 years time, but you can damn well bank on him wanting to better the club in that time in order for him to progress. if players are the same I have absolutely no problem with this. If Davies comes in and plays blindingly well for a couple of seasons, helping us in the process, then moves to the Prem I've no issues with that. Think about Shaun Goater and Bob Taylor; weren't around for long but made a mark.

name the massive list of strikers we can get for the undisclosed fees we are offering who actually want to come here, I'd be intrested if you can name at least 5

So for a million pound you don't think we could find a player with a better injury record? If our scouting system can't then that is of great concern.

I can name players but it doesn't mean anything does it?

I think there is a lot of truth to this.

Like with our manager, I'd rather players looking at playing for City as a chance to further their career than as settling. Our manager probably doesn't see himself at City in 4-5 years time, but you can damn well bank on him wanting to better the club in that time in order for him to progress. if players are the same I have absolutely no problem with this. If Davies comes in and plays blindingly well for a couple of seasons, helping us in the process, then moves to the Prem I've no issues with that. Think about Shaun Goater and Bob Taylor; weren't around for long but made a mark.

Exactly this mate.

So for a million pound you don't think we could find a player with a better injury record? If our scouting system can't then that is of great concern.

I can name players but it doesn't mean anything does it?

for a million quid no you couldn't

a 20 goal a season striker proven at this level that everyone is banging on about will cost 4 million plus,

Jorden Rhodes at huddersfield isn't proven at this level but is a goalscorer and he's going to cost around 6 million plus,

you have your list lets see it

for a million quid no you couldn't

a 20 goal a season striker proven at this level that everyone is banging on about will cost 4 million plus,

Jorden Rhodes at huddersfield isn't proven at this level but is a goalscorer and he's going to cost around 6 million plus,

you have your list lets see it

^^^ This. The fact that people can't believe we're not attracting bigger names, complain when the fee of 1 million is suggested, then introduce billions of threads about why we're not challenging for promotion, well, need I say more?

The only way we are going to get a 20 goal a season striker on the cheap is if we search the lower leagues, we can get players at low prices with high SL on percentages, Le Fonde being the perfect example, signed for £350,000, scored for fun now worth a minimum 2mil.......

Whether the current quality is there though is yet to be seen.

Hi lads/ladies, im a swans fan. Without reading through the thread i just want to confirm that i was sitting next to steve davies and your manager mcinnes last night. It was in the marriot college green. After hearing their conversation it is safe to say he is yours. They were arranging a new home for steve and your manager was picking him up at 8:15am for training. Apologies but i had to google to put names to their faces. Interesting what steve had to say about his old clubs manager!!

Hi lads/ladies, im a swans fan. Without reading through the thread i just want to confirm that i was sitting next to steve davies and your manager mcinnes last night. It was in the marriot college green. After hearing their conversation it is safe to say he is yours. They were arranging a new home for steve and your manager was picking him up at 8:15am for training. Apologies but i had to google to put names to their faces. Interesting what steve had to say about his old clubs manager!!

Cheers mate. Thanks for your insight.

Oooooohhhh, dish! Dish!!! This forum loves a bit of gossip; is it that Cloughie likes to dress up as 'Stacey' in the evenings? Is he secretly a German? Is he a misogynistic, violent alcoholic, I.e. Is he His old man without the talent? (allegedly)

PS cheers for the info good signing I reckon

Yeah, sure you were, How exactly do you Google to put names to faces? Jog on.

How many posts does someone need to be able to send pm's on here? You may have to post a load of old shite (shouldn't be too hard to do on here!) and start mailing us all separately.....I'd love to hear what he said!!

Fair shout for posting though mate, you could be anyone, but as you're not a rival any more, and we both have an inbuilt hatred of C*rdiff I'd see no reason for the fella to be on a wind up

Good start for you boys on Saturday, hope you stay up again

What did he say about Clough then???

Haha, i know it sounds fishy but i can 100% guarantee you it was those two. I thought it was just 2guys talking footie at first but from the conversation it was obvious they were in the footie business. I heard them mention their first names so obviously googled them with bristol city. No need to try rovers! Ha. Anyway, to clarify why i visit your city its because my other hobby is urban art. They also mentioned another player, mayb nickname chako or choko, your manager was asking why he doesnt come up for set plays. Steve said cause he just in team to bite & kick people, ha! Mcinnes said they did look at him but numbers were too high, 4m.

Archived