IGNORED

Luke Ayling - Now Signed (See Page 10 Onwards!)

Shaftesburyred

Amazing how some seem to already know what system SC will play. Be very surprised if he plays 3-5-2 with JET and Freeman. Especially as he has already said he signed Freeman to play on the wing.

Not difficult to figure out really, Little said he was brought in to play wing back and if we get Ayling he will probably play right side of a 3. Having said that we will have to be versatile formation wise, and we seem to be signing the right sort of players to cope with it. 

Not difficult to figure out really, Little said he was brought in to play wing back and if we get Ayling he will probably play right side of a 3. Having said that we will have to be versatile formation wise, and we seem to be signing the right sort of players to cope with it.

Nothing is set in stone yet. Ayling is easily clever enough to play as one of only 2 central defenders. Who knows. It does look as though we have fantastic options though which is what we need.

To me that says we could play 3 4 3. We did that a few times both under McInnes and SC. Remember Patterson and Baldock playing either side of JET at least once at the Gate and we played it away to Ipswich under McInnes. SC also said he could play left or right or through the middle I think. Have to say that the way he is shaping our squad will give him the ability and confidence to be adventurous in terms of playing with different structures. I guess watching the World Cup would have made him feel more secure playing a back 3 as a lot of sides have been successful doing this - Mexico, Holland, Chile, Costa Rica, Algeria.

The balance of the midfield is always key. I like the idea of Smith as the midfield anchor with Pack as back up and maybe to play together in certain games (possibly Sheff U away?). Elliott is the one to prompt attacks, using his nous to get a control on the game and prompt JET, Baldock, Burns, Wilbraham and Freeman to be the creativity and goals. Good solid wing backs provide width and crosses and we can play with a back 3 provided we have enough strength and speed which we certainly do with Osborne, Williams and Ayling. We have a lot of players our opponents would love to have.

There is no getting away from the fact that we have an outstanding chance of promotion this year.

Agree. We do have a very good chance. I like the fact that some of the players he's signed are versatile. It all depends what else we sign, if we don't get another centre half then I think we can assume Ayling will probably slot in there. Really is hats off to SC. Some signings there that I would be pleased with had we been in the championship let alone L1. I think attacking football will be on show this season for sure.

I personally like 3-5-2 but not sure you can realistically fit in JET and Freeman into that. Intrigued to see how those two link up after their days at Arsenal together.

Iv'e never seen him play, but going by how many Championship clubs wanted him speaks for itself .

Without doubt. Young but experienced as well. Really pleased with this deal. Not sure he's best at CB mind but he's an intelligent player and very comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Seems a lot of people rate Waggy more than I do. I just think he's got some tough competition on that right hand side now and the fact is 3 right sided players have been signed. SC has said he feels Freeman is best on the right.

So Ayling/Little can play RWB and Freeman/Burns on the right hand side. Personally I don't want to see Waggy in anything like a central position as he ain't got the discipline.

I would be very disappointed if Wagstaff left. I feel he's got unfinished business here! He can play a big part this season, just as much as Baldock or Freeman IMO

Certainly an attacking line up there :blink:

We played something similar at times last year with success, and with less talented personnel available. If your 3 defenders are competent and your wing backs are athletic enough, it certainly doesn't have to be 'gung-ho'. A cautious, defensive approach didn't really serve SOD all that well, did it?!

Can I ask; is he an out-and-out right back, or can he cover other positions.

Good question, he is always talked about as a versatile player, RB,CB,CM, but I reckon in his 160 games for Yeovil he must have started them all 1-2 at right back. Urban myth I reckon ;)

What I do know is he has good attitude, always gives 100%, good passer, gets forward effectively, rarely has a bad game. Glad to see the back of really ;(

We played something similar at times last year with success, and with less talented personnel available. If your 3 defenders are competent and your wing backs are athletic enough, it certainly doesn't have to be 'gung-ho'. A cautious, defensive approach didn't really serve SOD all that well, did it?!

Hey, I'm not knocking it - we played a similar formation at Orient and our front 3 tore them a new one.

Next season it looks like for the first time in years teams will be coming to AG and be far more worried about "how can be stop Bristol City" instead of "we fancy our chances here". Can see plenty of teams coming and parking the bus, otherwise with our current attacking options they're liable to get thumped.

Good question, he is always talked about as a versatile player, RB,CB,CM, but I reckon in his 160 games for Yeovil he must have started them all 1-2 at right back. Urban myth I reckon ;)

True. I think it comes from his Arsenal days where he played CB.

Good question, he is always talked about as a versatile player, RB,CB,CM, but I reckon in his 160 games for Yeovil he must have started them all 1-2 at right back. Urban myth I reckon ;)

What I do know is he has good attitude, always gives 100%, good passer, gets forward effectively, rarely has a bad game. Glad to see the back of really ;(

How often did Yeovil play with a back 3 though? I think he's being brought in specifically with the right side of a back 3 in mind. Glad to hear he's good on the ball too; you need at least one player who can play it out from the back in the formations it looks like we'll be adopting

Hey, I'm not knocking it - we played a similar formation at Orient and our front 3 tore them a new one.

Next season it looks like for the first time in years teams will be coming to AG and be far more worried about "how can be stop Bristol City" instead of "we fancy our chances here". Can see plenty of teams coming and parking the bus, otherwise with our current attacking options they're liable to get thumped.

Agreed. I think the best way to get out of this division is make the opposition worry about you rather than tinkering all the time to counter the opposition. That was the root of McInnes' downfall in my opinion. Looking forward to some 4-3 victories next season!!!

How often did Yeovil play with a back 3 though? I think he's being brought in specifically with the right side of a back 3 in mind. Glad to hear he's good on the ball too; you need at least one player who can play it out from the back in the formations it looks like we'll be adopting

We haven't played with a back 3 in the last 2 seasons for definite and I don't think so in the 2 before that. He may well be capable of playing these other positions but I haven't seen a lot of evidence.

As for the rumoured fee, stick a pin, I have heard nothing, anyone quoting a figure is guessing I reckon.

• Admin

Has anyone seen any of his press conferences. They are so off putting. He has a stutter. I am not saying anything is wrong about that, its just really annoying. Maybe that's why Mark Little don't have an interview?

Mark Little has done an interview - it was put on Bristol City player the day he signed

He played Right CB for Arsenal. He's very versatile...as  Steve Claridge lauded Ayling for his "reading of the game, communications skills, organisation skills, aerial prowess, two footedness and use of the ball" in his scouting report.

As for formations... I'd like to see us play 3-5-2 which when defending turns to 5-4-1.

I think it's the most versatile of formations. Plus we seem to be bringing in players who are versatile to accommodate this formation.

I would love to see us play it like this...

3-5-2_original.jpg

Has anyone seen any of his press conferences. They are so off putting. He has a stutter. I am not saying anything is wrong about that, its just really annoying. Maybe that's why Mark Little don't have an interview?

I find you bloody annoying.

He played Right CB for Arsenal. He's very versatile...as  Steve Claridge lauded Ayling for his "reading of the game, communications skills, organisation skills, aerial prowess, two footedness and use of the ball" in his scouting report.

That was in 2009 when he was a kid playing against kids, while what he says about his abilities still holds true the positional versatility is unproven.

Hi All, another Yeovil fan here.

Followed this thread closely and agree with every point that all other Yeovil fans have said, you are getting an excellent, excellent player in Luke Ayling.

From the minute he steps on the pitch he was and probably will be for you the most passionate and celebrate every goal like he is watching in the stands.

It's true he can play in a variety of positions RB, CB, CDM and also CM where he is comfortable playing in either of those positions.
Goes a bit OTT when having a drink on the weekend but then again most football players do these days.

I can't remember the last time I was gutted about a player leaving and will follow his progress closely.

You have also got two very good players in Korey Smith and Luke Freeman both former ytfc loanees and done very well when here.

Good luck for the forthcoming season (my pick to win the league or be there about this season), never minded City really it's the other lot up the road we can't stand!

I can't believe you have just written this. By saying you are annoyed clearly you do have a problem with it. The bloke is here to play football not be the next stadium announcer, who cares what he sounds like. If it is a stutter he has maybe it's a nervous thing, hardly going to improve his confidence if he thinks he has already 'annoyed' someone and 'put someone off' is it.

If you listen to Steve Lansdown he isn't the most confident public speaker either, but it hasn't done him any harm. Good job we aren't all clones isn't it.

I can't believe you have just written this. By saying you are annoyed clearly you do have a problem with it. The bloke is here to play football not be the next stadium announcer, who cares what he sounds like. If it is a stutter he has maybe it's a nervous thing, hardly going to improve his confidence if he thinks he has already 'annoyed' someone and 'put someone off' is it.

If you listen to Steve Lansdown he isn't the most confident public speaker either, but it hasn't done him any harm. Good job we aren't all clones isn't it.

Barack Obama has a slight stutter, and he's the most powerful man in the world..

Archived