IGNORED

Luke Ayling - Now Signed (See Page 10 Onwards!)

Shaftesburyred

Unless Maloney is on the move cant see Ayling signing. Fully expecting Nosworthy to be on board soon (just as soon as El-Abd agrees terms with another club) so the CB positions will be well covered.

Do you have a reason to expect this or is it just a hunch?  No offence, but you sound sure of something vague.

Are you ITK?

I'm with WestonRed on this, Wagstaff is looking a bit surplus to requirements to me...

Think he will be  the back up right wing back if as expected Maloney leaves. SC liked to play him there in the home games last season when there was less emphasis on defending. He is also pretty versatile and has a high workrate so think he will still be involved.

I'm with WestonRed on this, Wagstaff is looking a bit surplus to requirements to me...

Not sure I agree Kid.  The temptation when we sign loads of players is to then pick a side with all of them in it.  Squads win titles not the best starting eleven and if we let him go, we'd soon need to replace him which would be barmy as he's a very good league 1 player IMHO. When we play a back 3 he will compete for RWB and also CM.  4 4 2 he can play RM, 4 3 3 maybe inside right.  That is not the sort of player to discard, especially at his age.

Not sure I agree Kid. The temptation when we sign loads of players is to then pick a side with all of them in it. Squads win titles not the best starting eleven and if we let him go, we'd soon need to replace him which would be barmy as he's a very good league 1 player IMHO. When we play a back 3 he will compete for RWB and also CM. 4 4 2 he can play RM, 4 3 3 maybe inside right. That is not the sort of player to discard, especially at his age.

Agree. Wasn't particularly impressed with Wagstaff to start with but he is versatile and works his socks off. Not everyone's cup of tea but the type of squad player you need

I guess we could have a team of:

Fielding

Ayling        Osborne/Flint    Williams

Little/Waggy                                                                                 Cunningham/Bryan

Smith/Reid     Elliot/Pack

Jet                                       Freeman

Baldock 

Not sure I agree Kid.  The temptation when we sign loads of players is to then pick a side with all of them in it.  Squads win titles not the best starting eleven and if we let him go, we'd soon need to replace him which would be barmy as he's a very good league 1 player IMHO. When we play a back 3 he will compete for RWB and also CM.  4 4 2 he can play RM, 4 3 3 maybe inside right.  That is not the sort of player to discard, especially at his age.

Seems a lot of people rate Waggy more than I do. I just think he's got some tough competition on that right hand side now and the fact is 3 right sided players have been signed. SC has said he feels Freeman is best on the right.

So Ayling/Little can play RWB and Freeman/Burns on the right hand side. Personally I don't want to see Waggy in anything like a central position as he ain't got the discipline.

Seems a lot of people rate Waggy more than I do. I just think he's got some tough competition on that right hand side now and the fact is 3 right sided players have been signed. SC has said he feels Freeman is best on the right.

So Ayling/Little can play RWB and Freeman/Burns on the right hand side. Personally I don't want to see Waggy in anything like a central position as he ain't got the discipline.

I think Wagstaff can play as right side of a midfield 3, gets box to box well and chips in with goals. If we are going to have a good season we will need someone like him.

Amazing how some seem to already know what system SC will play. Be very surprised if he plays 3-5-2 with JET and Freeman. Especially as he has already said he signed Freeman to play on the wing.

To me that says we could play 3 4 3.  We did that a few times both under McInnes and SC.  Remember Patterson and Baldock playing either side of JET at least once at the Gate and we played it away to Ipswich under McInnes. SC also said he could play left or right or through the middle I think.    Have to say that the way he is shaping our squad will give him the ability and confidence to be adventurous in terms of playing with different structures.  I guess watching the World Cup would have made him feel more secure playing a back 3 as a lot of sides have been successful doing this - Mexico, Holland, Chile, Costa Rica, Algeria. 

The balance of the midfield is always key.  I like the idea of Smith as the midfield anchor with Pack as back up and maybe to play together in certain games (possibly Sheff U away?).  Elliott is the one to prompt attacks, using his nous to get a control on the game and prompt JET, Baldock, Burns, Wilbraham and Freeman to be the creativity and goals.  Good solid wing backs provide width and crosses and we can play with a back 3 provided we have enough strength and speed which we certainly do with Osborne, Williams and Ayling.  We have a lot of players our opponents would love to have.

There is no getting away from the fact that we have an outstanding chance of promotion this year.  

Archived