IGNORED

Gj - Is The End Nigh?

Phileas Fogg

GJ did a good job here for 2-3 seasons.

But also left us in a real mess when he departed.

I've never really understood the whole love affair that some still seem to have!

I think that's an exaggeration. Albeit with the help of Millen, we finished that season in 10th place. It was the summer that Coppell spent in charge that left us in a mess that was near impossible to recover from.

I care. I'd like him to be still in a job when they play us on Boxing day.

For the record the only ex managers I wouldn't clap are Pulis and SoD, but that's just personal opinion.

Edit: oh and Coppell, but he was here for such a short length of time he hardly registers as a a manager, just left a huge trail of destruction.

I think that's an exaggeration. Albeit with the help of Millen, we finished that season in 10th place. It was the summer that Coppell spent in charge that left us in a mess that was near impossible to recover from.

Not at all is it, he signed loads of players on long contracts that were simply not good enough and we couldnt get rid of them when he left the club which is partly the reason why we struggled when he left. They also filled the wage budget up so much which limited the amount of players we could sign.

Also we were in 18th when he left us so yes we were struggling when he left. Millen steered us to 10th place.

Hated how we were ran under him, even though we did excellently for the first few seasons. Left the club in a mess him and Steve Coppell.

Not at all is it, he signed loads of players on long contracts that were simply not good enough and we couldnt get rid of them when he left the club which is partly the reason why we struggled when he left. They also filled the wage budget up so much which limited the amount of players we could sign.

Also we were in 18th when he left us so yes we were struggling when he left. Millen steered us to 10th place.

Hated how we were ran under him, even though we did excellently for the first few seasons. Left the club in a mess him and Steve Coppell.

Pretty much every single manager who is sacked leaves his club in the shit FFS, that's part of the reason he get's sacked.

For the record the only ex managers I wouldn't clap are Pulis and SoD, but that's just personal opinion.

Edit: oh and Coppell, but he was here for such a short length of time he hardly registers as a a manager, just left a huge trail of destruction.

I think the chances of Coppell returning to Ashton Gate managing another side must be slimmer than Roman Abramovich buying Rovers...

SoD is an interesting one, as you say it's all about opinions. Wrong manager at wrong time, but always felt in his odd strange way he did his best, and in no way shafted us. On that basis, yep, would give him a clap and wish him well.

Pulls would of course get a full throated booing.

I know the results weren't good under SoD, but name one player in our squad that he signed that you would get rid of? Yes there are a couple that struggle to get into our starting 11 but would walk into most league 1 sides. I just think he paid the price for being to kind on the players and almost excepted not winning because he thought it was just the team taking time to gel with so many new players. Which ultimately could have cost us our league 1 status.

Are you saying that a decision (which he was forced into making) is the reason we lost the play off final? Madness. We were 1-0 down by that point anyway.

We were at the brown end of league 1 and within three seasons finished at the glory hole of the Championship.

Best manager since Cooper.

Cotterill is doing a fantastic job for us but still has a whole division to go before replicating what Johnson achieved. Some people seem to forget our lowest Championship finish with him anywhere near the club was 10th.

I hope certain supporters are able to stick with Cotterill through inevitable sticky spells because change is rarely good for us.

Johnson is the proven best City manager in my lifetime and will be treated accordingly on Boxing Day, whilst also being respectful to the good one we currently have.

I think GJ deserves a rousing reception from all City fans come Boxing Day.

He did a fantastic job for us, nearly got us to the promised land and we witnessed some fantastic memories along the way.

What about all of the players signed under his tenure; yes there were good and bad but the likes of Basso, Carle, Maynard, Magic Daps, Sno & Hartley & especially Basso we have a lot to be thankful for.

The guy ran out of ideas, its as simple as that.

Yes he took Yeovil to the Championship which was a major achievement but that was never going to be sustainable and they will sadly pay the price with relegation this season, but he could've achieved much more with us if we had won THAT match.

Tiny Penis on the other hand, if he ever crawls out from under that stone, will be roundly booed.

He did a good job for us but unfortunately he cocked it up at Wembley similar to what Danny Wilson did in Cardiff.

Hang on Wilson wasfed 4 years of transfer fees (while the players got pissed up when he went back home to Chesterfield every weekend). GJ actually got us out of the division in his first full season and then took us to within a whisker of the PL. All Wilson managed was a good first half against Luton once in a while

GJ took us over at the bottom of L1 and left us in the Championship so didn't leave us in a mess as others have suggested. He took the club to it's highest position since Alan Dicks left.

Also I can't quite work out why people say Pulis was such a bad manager (apart from the obvious connection with the other lot). When he left us we were mid-table. His main problem was he said it would take five years to get out of L1. He was wrong, it took a lot longer. I think he left as he realised he had no chance here with everyone associating him with the Gas, but he's gone on to be successful ever since.

So'D is difficult to assess. He only had one transfer window and made some good signings. He was just about to sign more players as he was sacked. Also he was sticking strictly to his budget whereas Cotts was assured of money to spend on his appointment. I don't think we'd have gone down last season but Cotts obviously has done an excellent job. I still think So'D started the club going in the right direction after a difficult few seasons.

SoD is an interesting one, as you say it's all about opinions. Wrong manager at wrong time, but always felt in his odd strange way he did his best, and in no way shafted us. On that basis, yep, would give him a clap and wish him well.

Pulls would of course get a full throated booing.

Maybe I should quantify my original thoughts by saying I wouldn't clap SoD, but I wouldn't boo him either. I think I'd be as indifferent to him as he was with us.

Again I agree it's about his personality, I guess he did have good intentions and did hs best but he never really took us to heart. He was never one of us and passionate about the club. The right fit was totally wrong.

As for Danny Wilson, dunno. For all that he did good it was more than balanced with bad. We had some much potential, wasted years I see them as. Again not a clap or a boo.

As an ex footballer said...

Football provides a passion like no other past time.

When a manager or player does well they are the best thing since sliced bread.

When it's going wrong... they become the unacceptable face of inflated wages, paid with fans' hard earned money by a chairman in pursuit of exactly the same goal.

Fans become primeval with nonsensical rationale so as to demonise their own...always the need for a scapegoat.

Expectation and reality are light years apart.

Er, I believe it was. Who else would you have put there?

I'm a big fan of GJ but Brian Wilson should of replaced Orr. Putting Elliot right back was a poor decision.

Still, he's the most successful City manager I've ever seen, he hauled us from the bottom of league one to a 9th place finish followed by promotion above the well fancied Nottm Forest, followed by a playoff final in the Championship in a game where we had chances to win it.

It was the right time for him to go, but he galvanised the whole club, not just the team. he deserves a big, big welcome to Ashton Gate.

Archived