IGNORED

Gj - Is The End Nigh?

Phileas Fogg

There's a Buddhist tale that I like.

A young woman is standing by the edge of a river in flood, too scared to cross.

Two monks on pilgrimage arrive at the river and one takes the woman on his shoulders and carries her across.

He puts her down on the other side without a word and carries on with his pilgrimage.

His companion is horrified and proceeds to lecture him at length about his vows and his promises never to touch a woman.

After about an hour of this, the first monk turns to his colleague and says "Are you still carrying that woman? I put her down at the edge of the river".

At least two on this thread might learn from that parable...

http://www.westerngazette.co.uk/Yeovil-Town-manager-Gary-Johnson-explains/story-25284344-detail/story.html

Looks like GJ had a bit of bother today. Surely he's on borrowed time; bad results and temper problems. Sounds like his last few weeks here.

I personally hope he stays at Yeovil until after Boxing Day, want to give him the ovation he deserves at AG.

Could it be us beating Yeovil that cost him his job?

I think it's time for Gary to go, for his sake as well as Yeovil's. I think they both need a new start, a new perspective, a bit like us last season.

GJ was great, after Plymouth several despicable underperforming players should have left the club rather than him. I'll be applauding GJ given the opportunity, and it'll be genuine.

As for SO'D,  another relegation looked more or less inevitable under the club strangling passion killer, and I hold him personally responsible for making me bloody miserable for the length of his tenure.

Not a big boo-er, but I'd like to think I'd make an exception in his case should he ever turn up at Ashton Gate within earshot.

Whilst you have to accept the current position in the table, I do feel sorry for GJ.

Look what we did for us: play-off final, promotion, and never finished near the bottom in the Championship - sacked.

What he has done for Yeovil is incredible. They would be nothing without him. If he gets the boot, I cannot see anyone else doing a better job for them in the medium term.

TFR

P.S. It is his sons fault anyway.

You can only work with what you have at hand, and what often is happening behind the scenes at a Club, often reflects on the performances and results on the pitch.

Unfortunately it's always the manager who gets the flack...due to the fact, that the majority of football fans aren't privy to what's going on behind the scenes at there Club.

It's not the fans fault...but because it's often a closed shop, and almost a 'game for the boys'...it has led to fans actually knowing '**** all' about how a Club is run and what goes on behind closed doors.

The manager is always the scapegoat for this, but it's often underlying influences that cause problems and not the manager.

GJ was great, after Plymouth several despicable underperforming players should have left the club rather than him. I'll be applauding GJ given the opportunity, and it'll be genuine.

As for SO'D,  another relegation looked more or less inevitable under the club strangling passion killer, and I hold him personally responsible for making me bloody miserable for the length of his tenure.

Not a big boo-er, but I'd like to think I'd make an exception in his case should he ever turn up at Ashton Gate within earshot.

The quality of football aside, the GJ era was the most fun I've had as a City fan. After all, I go along for enjoyment, not a constant moan (I appreciate some people consider moaning as their enjoyment).

The bearing his backside. Bounce around the ground. 'One for the Bristol City' single (he signed my copy! Loads of memories that made me smile and happy. I've not really seen that under any other manager.

Hang on Wilson wasfed 4 years of transfer fees (while the players got pissed up when he went back home to Chesterfield every weekend). GJ actually got us out of the division in his first full season and then took us to within a whisker of the PL. All Wilson managed was a good first half against Luton once in a while

Disagree entirely, for me under Wilson we played our best football in the time ive supported City (since the early 90s).. could never get us over the line in what was a much tougher league back then.

Brian Wilson wasn't on the bench. The only alternative to doing what he did would have been to bring Vasko on and switch Carey to right back.

Oh fair enough, always assumed he was.

In that case I would of moved Carey across. Still the most successful manager I've seen. Cotterill has started well and bought fantastically but he's a long way to go to match GJ.

10846208_10152503063592215_1670426614992

Maybe a man to wear his heart on his sleeve?

As finbarr said, he brought great joy to City supporters when things were good and got a bit pissy when they were not.

He is, in that respect, very much like a collective fan base.

Maybe some psychological projection going on here?

As finbarr said, he brought great joy to City supporters when things were good and got a bit pissy when they were not.

I thought this meant puking. However, no..........

1. Psychological projection is a theory inpsychology in which humans defend themselves against unpleasant impulses by denying their existence in themselves, while attributing them to others. For example, a person who is rude may constantly accuse other people of being rude.

We were at the brown end of league 1 and within three seasons finished at the glory hole of the Championship.

Best manager since Cooper.

Absolutely. The fact City1970 is genuinely blaming him for losing the play-off final is unbelievable, don't think I've ever heard that from a City fan before

I'd call it unprofessional.

It's a trait of his. I remember him trying to trip Chopra after he'd scorec against City and ran in celebration down the touch line. It was caught on camera so there's no denying the evidence.

I'd call it unprofessional.

It's a trait of his. I remember him trying to trip Chopra after he'd scorec against City and ran in celebration down the touch line. It was caught on camera so there's no denying the evidence.

He definitely has a side to him that I personally don't like.

I've been in a room with him when he's 'lost it'.

He certainly doesn't like people questioning him, and seems not to be able to have a 'heated debate' without going that one step further.

Funnily SC is very similar from my experience.

It's a trait that imho, can only take you so far as a football manager.

He certainly doesn't like people questioning him, and seems not to be able to have a 'heated debate' without going that one step further.

Sounds like a trait also shared by Sir Alex!

SC lost it, visibly, and rightly so, after the Sheff.Utd. away game last season.

He was in a fury, but when the players do their jobs well he praises them to the hilt.

Just as it should be, and it's very obvious by the harmonious dressing room and superb team spirt that the players are very comfortable with that, and respect him.

Move along Spudski, we don't need any digs at SC, he's doing just fine.

Sounds like a trait also shared by Sir Alex!

Yes...AF certainly ruled by a rod of iron... But he was very much the 'head stone' of a massive machine and wasn't as hands on as most people would think.

His backroom staff and coaching staff that he had, did most of the work.

When you're further down the pyramid you don't have that quality or luxury to often hide behind.

The biggest calming influence at that Club is a certain Mr Charlton.

I thought this meant puking. However, no..........

• Psychological projection is a theory inpsychology in which humans defend themselves against unpleasant impulses by denying their existence in themselves, while attributing them to others. For example, a person who is rude may constantly accuse other people of being rude.

How effing rude!

Also I can't quite work out why people say Pulis was such a bad manager (apart from the obvious connection with the other lot). When he left us we were mid-table. His main problem was he said it would take five years to get out of L1. He was wrong, it took a lot longer. I think he left as he realised he had no chance here with everyone associating him with the Gas, but he's gone on to be successful ever since.

The quality of football under Pulis was dire and he sought and achieved no connection with the fans. He didn't give a damn about us. Bringing in Lindsay Parsons as his assistant was misguided; their Gas connections and leanings were far too strong and too recent. That we received compensation from Portsmouth when they "stole" him made me laugh out loud. We should have paid Pompey to take him.

SC lost it, visibly, and rightly so, after the Sheff.Utd. away game last season.

He was in a fury, but when the players do their jobs well he praises them to the hilt.

Just as it should be, and it's very obvious by the harmonious dressing room and superb team spirt that the players are very comfortable with that, and respect him.

Move along Spudski, we don't need any digs at SC, he's doing just fine.

No one is having a 'dig' at SC...he is doing fine. And I couldn't agree more about the changing room and harmonious team spirit.

I've recently posted on the forum that it's the best team spirit I've seen in a long time at AG.

However...speak to anyone who works in the game, and you'll know that when things aren't going right you will see a different side to his character.

Lets hope we don't ever get their. Or any fan really upsets him...as one Burnley fan found out to his surprise when opening his door one day. All 'alleged ' of course.... ;)

No one is having a 'dig' at SC...he is doing fine. And I couldn't agree more about the changing room and harmonious team spirit.

I've recently posted on the forum that it's the best team spirit I've seen in a long time at AG.

However...speak to anyone who works in the game, and you'll know that when things aren't going right you will see a different side to his character.

Lets hope we don't ever get their. Or any fan really upsets him...as one Burnley fan found out to his surprise when opening his door one day. All 'alleged ' of course.... ;)

Haha, I remember hearing that. What allegedly happened?

Haha, I remember hearing that. What allegedly happened?

I've been trying to find out the truth from a friends son, who works as part of the coaching staff at Burnley.

There are different versions, so I won't go there...but he did ( allegedly ) turn up on a fans doorstep one day to have a few words. ;)

Lets hope we don't ever get their. Or any fan really upsets him...as one Burnley fan found out to his surprise when opening his door one day. All 'alleged ' of course.... ;)

This is the sort of post from you I really don't like.

No idea whether your contacts had an ulterior motive for their views or whether they, or you, are simply making things up because they personally do not like him..

Couldn't care less about one individual Burnley fan, or the Forest fans who didn't like him.

The fact is he is well respected by fans at the majority of his previous clubs, and is evidently well liked and respected in the dressing room and around Ashton Gate.

I hope he can bloody well 'lose it' with the players if they become complacent, and it's necessary.

The apparent words of the chattering 'insiders' of the football world you often repeat on here, who may bear all sorts of grudges, mean absolutely nothing.

Perhaps you could stop repeating them, at least until such time as they have some relevance to his time at BCFC?

Oh fair enough, always assumed he was.

In that case I would of moved Carey across. Still the most successful manager I've seen. Cotterill has started well and bought fantastically but he's a long way to go to match GJ.

And a very long way to go to match AD.

It took SAF a bloody long way :winner_third_h4h: :winner_third_h4h: :winner_third_h4h: :winner_third_h4h: :winner_third_h4h:

This is the sort of post from you I really don't like.

No idea whether your contacts had an ulterior motive for their views or whether they, or you, are simply making things up because they personally do not like him..

Couldn't care less about one individual Burnley fan, or the Forest fans who didn't like him.

The fact is he is well respected by fans at the majority of his previous clubs, and is evidently well liked and respected in the dressing room and around Ashton Gate.

I hope he can bloody well 'lose it' with the players if they become complacent, and it's necessary.

The apparent words of the chattering 'insiders' of the football world you often repeat on here, who may bear all sorts of grudges, mean absolutely nothing.

Perhaps you could stop repeating them, at least until such time as they have some relevance to his time at BCFC?

Think this is the most I've ever seen you 'lose it' on this forum, Nogbad. That's the spirit!

I loved my inside source telling me how ******* mental SC went at Sheffield United last season.

You can see he is an intense character (whether winning or losing) an I for one love it!

Archived