IGNORED

Gj - Is The End Nigh?

Phileas Fogg

You're basing criticism it seems solely on what O'Driscoll did or didn't do when at City. That's a one eyed and narrow view. As you know he's a very well qualified coach and is generally well respected within the game, similar to Millen who no doubt you didn't rate either.

Whilst I agree upto a point with your view on the FA they aren't known for employing idiots and morons.

post-11168-0-43171900-1418289320.jpeg

• Admin

You're basing criticism it seems solely on what ********* did or didn't do when at City. That's a one eyed and narrow view. As you know he's a very well qualified coach and is generally well respected within the game, similar to ******* who no doubt you didn't rate either.

Fill in the gaps and the irony reaches an all time new level !

You're basing criticism it seems solely on what O'Driscoll did or didn't do when at City. That's a one eyed and narrow view. As you know he's a very well qualified coach and is generally well respected within the game, similar to Millen who no doubt you didn't rate either.

Whilst I agree upto a point with your view on the FA they aren't known for employing idiots and morons.

I'm basing my view on what SOD said whilst at City.  If you like, I'm more bothered about his performance than the end-result.  He managed to hoodwink a number of people here based on high-faluting babble-speak.  His problem is that he thinks he's grasped hold of something profound but he's not intelligent enough to see that most players just won't get it.

SOD maybe "well qualified" and "well respected" but his record doesn't deserve any respect.  He managed promotions at Bournemouth (I think) and Doncaster which is admirable.  However, he almost got Doncaster relegated again and then failed at Crawley, Forest and us.

SOD is a perfect fit for the FA who employed Trevor Brooking don't forget.  The idiots at the FA will think of SOD as a messiah with all his "performance not results" mantra.

I'm basing my view on what SOD said whilst at City.  If you like, I'm more bothered about his performance than the end-result.  He managed to hoodwink a number of people here based on high-faluting babble-speak.  His problem is that he thinks he's grasped hold of something profound but he's not intelligent enough to see that most players just won't get it.

SOD maybe "well qualified" and "well respected" but his record doesn't deserve any respect.  He managed promotions at Bournemouth (I think) and Doncaster which is admirable.  However, he almost got Doncaster relegated again and then failed at Crawley, Forest and us.

SOD is a perfect fit for the FA who employed Trevor Brooking don't forget.  The idiots at the FA will think of SOD as a messiah with all his "performance not results" mantra.

SOD I suspect has his absolute dream job.

No chairman/owners to deal with. No fans as such to deal with. Not a lot if any media to deal with and any interviews he does give won't be heard by many if any who even care. 

if he helps to develop a steady stream of players ready for the full international stage great, if he doesn't then join the queue. I would have thought is ideal for the job and probably has a lot to offer and if he can help eventually attain a full international team that might actually perform when it matters in international tournaments and not fail with it's customary whimper, then the best of luck to him, expectations are pretty low I suspect unless his record is on par with his BCFC record he could have the job for a long time.

SOD I suspect has his absolute dream job.

No chairman/owners to deal with. No fans as such to deal with. Not a lot if any media to deal with and any interviews he does give won't be heard by many if any who even care.

The interviews he gives CAN'T be heard by many. Not unless he buys a loudhailer or something.

To paraphrase Ian Duncan Smith, "never underestimate the incompetence of a quiet man".

The interviews he gives CAN'T be heard by many. Not unless he buys a loudhailer or something.

To paraphrase Ian Duncan Smith, "never underestimate the incompetence of a quiet man".

Of course a competent radio interviewer would turn up the gain on the microphone, but they don't do they at Radio Drivel...

GJ did a good job here for 2-3 seasons.

But also left us in a real mess when he departed.

I've never really understood the whole love affair that some still seem to have!

Can't agree, sod left us in a real mess, gj left us a mid table championship club. It was years after he left with the jokers that were appointed to replace him that took us down, by which time a lot of gjs players had left. Only now has cotterill got us going in the right direction again.

True. Five deaf people is five too many...

Not forgetting that is a lot for the interviewer to remember, questions, looking vaguely interested in the replies, thinking of the next 'stupid question' and on top of that you want to burden him with 2 manual operations?, you want a lot for your licence fee.

PS:- Does that include thee and I?

Interesting that on a post about gj on this fairly full page he gets about 3% of the space and that old nutmeg on SOD gets 97% -- and like Christmas on the box it is mostly repeats in some form or other -- even re Young England!![/quote

Incredible how a 'conversation' can develop.

SO'D and Trev Brooks; about as inspirational as John Major and Gordon Brown as I try and use the non-partisan comparison although I have to say JM is a far more interesting listen than grumpy jaw jerk gordon.

How the FA recruited those two, frankly and with all due respect to them both, blows me away. 

One day they may talk some sense that actually grabs average Joe's attention with interest for more than 37 seconds but I will not hold my breath and holding it for more than 37 seconds is eezy peezy.

Not forgetting that is a lot for the interviewer to remember, questions, looking vaguely interested in the replies, thinking of the next 'stupid question' and on top of that you want to burden him with 2 manual operations?, you want a lot for your licence fee.

PS:- Does that include thee and I?

And Horace...

Can't agree, sod left us in a real mess, gj left us a mid table championship club. It was years after he left with the jokers that were appointed to replace him that took us down, by which time a lot of gjs players had left. Only now has cotterill got us going in the right direction again.

GJ left us in 18th place and falling like a stone.

That's not mid table!

A squad of 34 players,several loanees who were absolute shite and dire football.

SOD left us in a mess as well,no one can deny that,but GJ also lost the plot in his last few months as City manager.

People seem to talk about football managers and there achievements in such black and white ways.

Surely it's about finding the right manager to fit that moment in time at a Club?

Plus...also knowing the right time to let that manager go and bringing in the next one.

It's become apparent to me, and has been said by SL himself, that we kept GJ for too long.

The appointments made by SL and the board after that, imho, were not the right fits at the time.

I honestly believe SL and the board have made some great decisions on how our Club is to be run and tbh the FFP has done us a favour, as it's made us change and not just throw SL's money at problems, like that would make them go away.

SoD put in place some great improvements and SC has taken it to the next level...

SoD imho, has got his perfect 'FIT'... England under 19's... 4 wins out of 4 in comp...and a draw with Germany and 3-0 win over Italy in friendlies...all since he took over.

SC's record for us, is also the best stats he's had as a manager.

It's all about timing, which is why it's the judgement of the Board that is so important. Not just the manager.

You only have to look at the stats of managers, to see where they have done well and not so well, and then correlate with the circumstances at that Club, at that time, to get a real understanding of why things work or not.

People seem to talk about football managers and there achievements in such black and white ways.

Surely it's about finding the right manager to fit that moment in time at a Club?

Plus...also knowing the right time to let that manager go and bringing in the next one.

It's become apparent to me, and has been said by SL himself, that we kept GJ for too long.

The appointments made by SL and the board after that, imho, were not the right fits at the time.

I honestly believe SL and the board have made some great decisions on how our Club is to be run and tbh the FFP has done us a favour, as it's made us change and not just throw SL's money at problems, like that would make them go away.

SoD put in place some great improvements and SC has taken it to the next level...

SoD imho, has got his perfect 'FIT'... England under 19's... 4 wins out of 4 in comp...and a draw with Germany and 3-0 win over Italy in friendlies...all since he took over.

SC's record for us, is also the best stats he's had as a manager.

It's all about timing, which is why it's the judgement of the Board that is so important. Not just the manager.

You only have to look at the stats of managers, to see where they have done well and not so well, and then correlate with the circumstances at that Club, at that time, to get a real understanding of why things work or not.

I agree with pretty much every word.

However as fans it's always going to be black and white to a major degree, because we are human and might die tomorrow. 

and I agree about the 'right fit' but sometimes that does not always work either, what appears to look a right fit doesn't always work out and although a lot of unseen work in the background might well have occurred unfortunately the benefits of that work might not be seen for quite some time, credit SL for admitting his past mistakes but also in referencing ex managers for their part in our recent upsurge.

I agree with pretty much every word.

However as fans it's always going to be black and white to a major degree, because we are human and might die tomorrow. 

and I agree about the 'right fit' but sometimes that does not always work either, what appears to look a right fit doesn't always work out and although a lot of unseen work in the background might well have occurred unfortunately the benefits of that work might not be seen for quite some time, credit SL for admitting his past mistakes but also in referencing ex managers for their part in our recent upsurge.

I agree with this and Spud.  Today people want everything, and right now, hence all the credit card debt many people are in.  Everyone knows most clubs that are successful have stability although that seems to be changing at the very top level.

Everything is about short term success.  Which is great, and what us as fans are in it for, a bit of glory and success, or something to stop the rot.  But I do wonder oi our long term success over the years have been hampered by our hire and fire policy,which has been pretty high apart from the Jonson and Wilson years over the past 35 years. 

I agree with this and Spud.  Today people want everything, and right now, hence all the credit card debt many people are in.  Everyone knows most clubs that are successful have stability although that seems to be changing at the very top level.

Everything is about short term success.  Which is great, and what us as fans are in it for, a bit of glory and success, or something to stop the rot.  But I do wonder oi our long term success over the years have been hampered by our hire and fire policy,which has been pretty high apart from the Jonson and Wilson years over the past 35 years. 

I wish I could agree about the Wilson years, I have never looked upon them in the same way as others have, when we were good we were very good, when were average we were porous at the back, when we were poor we were shit, wasted a lot of money and allowed the club to become alcoholics unanimous.

Archived