IGNORED

All 2015 Summer Transfer In's And Out's/speculation/rumours (Merged)

rockinrobin

That's a bit pedantic, you know what they were getting at!

Go on then, how do you define 'missed out on'??

I'd say, if Bristol City FC were actively pursuing the player, and he went somewhere else, we've missed out.

If he's only been touted by a poster on here as a possible signing and the club has no interest, we haven't.

I'd say, if Bristol City FC were actively pursuing the player, and he went somewhere else, we've missed out.

If he's only been touted by a poster on here as a possible signing and the club has no interest, we haven't.

I define missed out on as "missed opportunity" in this instance. Arguably we "missed out on" Jack Butland for example as he was local.

The club would have been aware of Wallace I'm sure, I have no knowledge as to whether they have bid.

May the club see more value in pack than they do in Wallace... Still young, plenty of experience in the football league and came into his own second half of this season. Wallace may well be too similar to pack to be a worthwhile signing

If anything, he's more similar to Freeman. Goalscoring and creative.

May the club see more value in pack than they do in Wallace... Still young, plenty of experience in the football league and came into his own second half of this season. Wallace may well be too similar to pack to be a worthwhile signing

Wallace is a totally different player to Pack. Wallace got a real eye for goal and chips in with loads of assists

We were linked with him (as were Fulham) in the football league paper a couple of weeks ago,Glyn.

I think the posters arguing about whether we see Freeman or Pack as better than him are spectacularly missing the point here, Wolves' wage structure will simply, to quote Karl Robinson "blow us out of the water".

We were linked with him (as were Fulham) in the football league paper a couple of weeks ago,Glyn.

I think the posters arguing about whether we see Freeman or Pack as better than him are spectacularly missing the point here, Wolves' wage structure will simply, to quote Karl Robinson "blow us out of the water".

No one is arguing about that nor denying wolves can pay bigger wages?

Thanks for the info Graham, sounds like it is entirely possible we were interested, but as you say, lacked the financial muscle to compete. Whether I'd class that as missing out, I'm not sure.

We should "be in" for every player mentioned on here according to some and if we "miss out" on a player, the club are at fault regardless if the club were "in for him" or not - not that any of us would know either way.

You'd think some would have learned their lesson from last season when SC and KB made a few on here look stupid with some of their comments about "missing out" on players, only to sign said players - or better.

They are undoubtedly better judges of players than anyone on here and if we've "missed out" on anyone, then I'm sure its for a good reason.

I must admit, I do get frustrated by the term 'missed out on' being bandied about whenever a decent young talent leaves one club for another.

Harry produced a list yesterday that had about 10 goalkeepers on it. Now I know Harry isn't saying we should sign them all, but you can bet your bottom dollar, if one of those keepers moves to a club this summer, someone who has read that list, will claim we've 'missed out'

Thanks for the info Graham, sounds like it is entirely possible we were interested, but as you say, lacked the financial muscle to compete. Whether I'd class that as missing out, I'm not sure.

I must admit, I do get frustrated by the term 'missed out on' being bandied about whenever a decent young talent leaves one club for another.

Harry produced a list yesterday that had about 10 goalkeepers on it. Now I know Harry isn't saying we should sign them all, but you can bet your bottom dollar, if one of those keepers moves to a club this summer, someone who has read that list, will claim we've 'missed out'

I see your point and agree to an extent but in this case I do think 'missing out' is possibly an appropriate phrase to use. The only reason I have for that is that he is the sort of player that could improve us, is affordable and isn't obviously way too good for us. He was a realistic target for people to speculate about IMO.

Now I know he's gone to Wolves, who are bigger club than us but I'd argue that he probably won't get much game time there. I have no idea if Cotts was actually interested in him but he'd have got more game time here, even if his wages were less.

I disagree. Ayling is good going forward but he's no Little, Bryan, Murray, Bell who have all played wing back very well for us over the years.

Players that play wing-back are either wingers, who are capable of playing a bit deeper or more defensive at times (Murray), or more commonly full-backs, who are good at getting forward (Little, Cunningham, Bell and Bryan to an extent but he's more arguably a natural wing-back).

You then have full-backs who are more suited to playing as part of a back three and that's where I believe Ayling fits in. He's a full-back by trade and could also play wing-back effectively but I believe in our current system he's most suited where's he played all season, on the right side of the back three.

Shifting Ayling to wing-back would not improve on Little. He would offer us more defensive cover but would weaken us going forward. We need attacking prowess from our wing-backs and so can't see Ayling playing there, other than filling in, or if we are away against a big side in the championship and want to be more solid defensively.

If my name was Steve Cotterill and I said that I thought Ayling would make a great wing back and I was considering him as playing there ahead of Little next season, would you take my view more seriously than Harry's??

Not wishing to speak out of turn, but I've heard on pretty good authority that SC is seriously considering such a move.

I think we're more likely to see us strengthen at centre back in order to shift Ayling outside, as opposed to us bringing in a new right wing back.

Surely we've only "missed out" if we were actually in for him?

Glyn, I'd say there are 2 levels of "missed out".

1) We've made a bid and the player went elsewhere.

2) Talented prospects go elsewhere whom City 'should' have shown a clear interest in.

There are numerous players over the years which we "missed out" on due to a woeful scouting network or through no desire to take a risk on someone.

Now that we have a more effective network players such as Wallace are very much on our radar and have been for a long time. Our interest in someone like Wallace hasn't just come about in the last few weeks. My gripe is not with City 'recognising' these players, it's the delay in 'acting' on it.

Matt Grimes being THE prime example.

We watched him time and time again, but dilly-dallied for too long, weren't prepared to take the risk and ultimately were too late.

That example is what I would class as "missed out".

If my name was Steve Cotterill and I said that I thought Ayling would make a great wing back and I was considering him as playing there ahead of Little next season, would you take my view more seriously than Harry's??

Not wishing to speak out of turn, but I've heard on pretty good authority that SC is seriously considering such a move.

I think we're more likely to see us strengthen at centre back in order to shift Ayling outside, as opposed to us bringing in s new right wing back.

You obviously have an educated opinion but I still don't see Ayling shifting to wing-back as an enhancement to us or for him.

The only way I could see it happening is if 1, Cotts wants to persist with 3-5-2 but recognises we need to be more solid in the championship and would therefore consider playing more defensive minded players in the wing-back positions. Or, 2, he doesn't want to sign another right wing-back and views Little and Ayling as giving us two different options in that position depending on our approach to a certain game. One being more offensive and the other more defensive.

I can see ailing being capable as a rwb in the championship. He is more defence minded which we will need, he is more capable with the ball at his feet, has greater spacial awareness and is better in the tackle than little. By moving him out wide, it will allow us to purchase/loan a better ball playing cb to slot in alongside Flint that will give us a more solid back 3 as again, it will be a tougher test in the championship.

Although I would love to stick with our current starting 11, if we are to progress, we need to gradually strengthen each role unless the current player has the ability to get better.

I stick by it and hope that should we do what Harry suggested, that we will look to Harry maguire to fill that role. A solid, ball playing, marauding cb with experience of the prem and championship but it is the right time to enquire as he is out of favour.

Aside from that, this Mawson kid sounds like an option but I know nothing about him...

I think Ayling would be good at RWB- he will offer a little more craft in terms of the quality of his movement, passing and crossing. However, he was brought in because of his suitability to a specific role and him bringing the ball out and stepping into midfield is a very important part of the way we play. It would have to be a very specific kind a player to replace him and that seems like more of a risk than a new wing back to me

One player from last season who I thought would be a good option at wing back was that Darikwa (sp?) for Chesterfield, who I believe was on Harry's list

Doubt there is any truth in this what so ever and even if there were I doubt it would happen but some guy on twitter (2 days ago) wrote that Steve Cotterill will be interviewed for the Newcastle United job... and say's his source is BBC Bristol. Sorry if this has already been mentioned but it's the first I've heard of it! https://twitter.com/27liamdavid/status/601047758951292928

Doubt there is any truth in this what so ever and even if there were I doubt it would happen but some guy on twitter (2 days ago) wrote that Steve Cotterill will be interviewed for the Newcastle United job... and say's his source is BBC Bristol. Sorry if this has already been mentioned but it's the first I've heard of it! https://twitter.com/27liamdavid/status/601047758951292928

Interesting, it's a bit random and he is a Newcastle fan so wouldn't have any need to lie. No reason to doubt it particularly Brett, could well be true!

if it were true it would be here http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/bristol-city

because it doesn't show on the BBC Sports page's bristol city section I'm calling bullshit

if it were true it would be here http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/bristol-city

because it doesn't show on the BBC Sports page's bristol city section I'm calling bullshit

I too think it's false. Even if it were true would Newcastle really want a manager from league 1? If they stay up they are an attractive pull for most managers. So can't see them setting their sights on league 1's Steve Cotterill. Even if he is the best manager in the world. I think if any bigger club than ourselves is willing to take a punt on Cotts they will wait and see how he does with us in the championship first.

I too think it's false. Even if it were true would Newcastle really want a manager from league 1? If they stay up they are an attractive pull for most managers. So can't see them setting their sights on league 1's Steve Cotterill. Even if he is the best manager in the world. I think if any bigger club than ourselves is willing to take a punt on Cotts they will wait and see how he does with us in the championship first.

He's managed in the championship for a large amount of his career!

Mcclaren Leaving Derby so reckon he will be the next Newcastle manager.

Turned it down a couple of weeks ago, although at the time he may have thought Derby were likely to go up.

Massive job to do for someone though.

Turned it down a couple of weeks ago, although at the time he may have thought Derby were likely to go up.

Massive job to do for someone though.

He was never going to take that job with a couple of games left in the season. It is a massive job.

Archived