IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/62985372

Presumably the counties will vote on this?

One things for sure, cricket in August is going to be crap from here on in, or until we finally ditch the hundred.

Though if the people at the top have their way this is just the start of ripping the county game to shreds and moving to a city franchise for all formats

image.png

3 minutes ago, TomF said:

Basically **** everything, the Hundred is the most important format even though no other country plays the format, its not internationally reconised. 

How much dollar did you take from the ECB, Andrew?  Get ******. 

How this plan will help the England team is crazy. I wonder what his plans would have been when he was still playing for Middlesex in the top division? 

4 minutes ago, TomF said:

Basically **** everything, the Hundred is the most important format even though no other country plays the format, its not internationally reconised. 

How much dollar did you take from the ECB, Andrew?  Get ******. 

I’ve said it for ages it’ll definitely change to T20 format eventually, I’m surprised it hasn’t already but it will. And that they think will be enough to justify carrying on with their destruction of the counties.

3 minutes ago, TomF said:

Was just doing some math on table

So Kent looking at +16  - takes them to 134

Glos if they win 94

Somerset most likely a draw would put them on 137

Warks if they lose on 120

So looking at that Somerset would need 8 points to be mathematically safe, Kent 11.

Warks host Hants in what potentially will be a nothing game for Hants.   Kent v Som.. 

Going to be a bit nervy week ahread.

On the other hand, are you not looking upwards in terms of catching Yorkshire or possibly even Northants. Certainly were Somerset to win but even a draw could bring Yorkshire within range (only 9 pts in it before start of play today).

28 minutes ago, TomF said:

Was just doing some math on table

So Kent looking at +16  - takes them to 134

Glos if they win 94

Somerset most likely a draw would put them on 137

Warks if they lose on 120

So looking at that Somerset would need 8 points to be mathematically safe, Kent 11.

Warks host Hants in what potentially will be a nothing game for Hants.   Kent v Som.. 

Going to be a bit nervy week ahread.

So a draw would probably be enough for us at Kent. Presuming we had the same or similar bonus points in the match

4 minutes ago, Midred said:

Northants getting just the 20 runs over the follow on screwed our  chances. 

There was no way we were asking them to follow on unless we got them out in the first few overs.

Our bowlers were like the walking wounded this morning. Just hope Gregory will be able to bowl tomorrow but not looking good. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

There was no way we were asking them to follow on unless we got them out in the first few overs.

Our bowlers were like the walking wounded this morning. Just hope Gregory will be able to bowl tomorrow but not looking good. 

Yeah, wasn't watching and read about the bowlers later.

6 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I always thought there was more to Leachy than the ECB saying he can’t play.

He’s just said it was his decision, he feels he wants to give his Chrone’s disease a chance to fully recover after the stresses of Test cricket over the last few years.

Fair enough! 

I said in an earlier post, yesterday or Monday, that I could see no logic in the ECB forbidding Jack Leach from playing, although I must admit I thought it was just the ECB behaving with their customary selfishness.

It appears from Jack's appearance with Peter Trego that I was being unduly harsh.

In other news, Kent have just beaten Hampshire.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TomF said:

As a chromie I can perfectly understand this.   Speaking to my specalist in last few years I said about how covid affected the way I worked having a much better hybrid arrangement that caused much less stress, She said they'd always known stress was one of the worse causes of Crohns but could never really prove it till covid as she said she had heard so many other people say similar to me. 

Yes I was thinking you would understand more than most of us.

Loads of players over the years have said how much the week of a test match takes out of you, so I do get it.

What a tight finish next week is going to be at the bottom. And remember, unless they just chose the big 6 clubs which wouldn’t surprise me, you’ve got to be in the top 6 next season to play in the premier league in 2024. After that it’ll be very difficult, 1 team from 12 each year, to get into the top league. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomF said:

A win and we're safe, just seems unlikely at this point.  Yorkshire are home to Glos so they would fancy getting at least a draw from that. 

Yeah would say so, although depends on variables like weather etc. Northants at home I've looked at as a winnable game for Somerset.

We're somewhat improved ironically too late but if we win today and we did draw at Somerset, well perhaps a draw maybe at Yorkshire. 

If I was Somerset though, safety or not but I'd see a goal or 6th or even 5th as something to win at if not massively likely.

11 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Yes I was thinking you would understand more than most of us.

Loads of players over the years have said how much the week of a test match takes out of you, so I do get it.

What a tight finish next week is going to be at the bottom. And remember, unless they just chose the big 6 clubs which wouldn’t surprise me, you’ve got to be in the top 6 next season to play in the premier league in 2024. After that it’ll be very difficult, 1 team from 12 each year, to get into the top league. 

Absolutely. They`ll make sure Surrey, Essex, Hampshire, Yorkshire and Lancashire are in the top division, the rest of us can just fight for the scraps. Once they get Middlesex in there as well they`ll stop promotion/relegation too.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, phantom said:

Have to have about an hour at them this evening I would have thought?

Otherwise 96 overs tomorrow, we would need a lead of over 300 - 350

Prob have a lead near 350 tonight so would expect a quick blast in the morning then declare.