IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

42 minutes ago, The Humble Realist said:

I'm not too familiar with the various scoring scenarios.

Is there any realistic scenario where glos could stay up?

By the time the current round has finished, I think I’m right in saying Glos will be definitely down unfortunately 

Well done Gloucestershire. My second favourite county!!!!

• Like 2

Just now, ralphindevon said:

By the time the current round has finished, I think I’m right in saying Glos will be definitely down unfortunately 

Well done Gloucestershire. My second favourite county!!!!

They seemed to gain some confidence from the RL Cup games, but to little too late.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Super said:

How many points will we pick up if the match is drawn?

Another 8 points, so 14 in total, which would leave us 17 points ahead of Warwickshire - Glos are now already down.

Of equal importance, we would also be 3 points ahead of Kent, who we play next week, meaning a draw would probably leave us safe whatever Warwickshire do in their final match.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

5 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Another 8 points, so 14 in total, which would leave us 17 points ahead of Warwickshire - Glos are now already down.

Of equal importance, we would also be 3 points ahead of Kent, who we play next week, meaning a draw would probably leave us safe whatever Warwickshire do in their final match.

Also a point ahead of Yorkshire and into the top 6. A morale boost for next season when finishing in the top 6 could be the holy grail

I would suggest, batting 1 over, maybe 2  score as quickly as possible...and then declare. Perhaps even just 5 balls, something like that.

Harder to prepare as a batting side when you have 10 mins between Innings rather than an overnight declaration or a declaration at lunch or tea. The surprise value might be worth an early wicket..

As a bowling side, you know it'll come, just unsure when!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

58 minutes ago, Midred said:

How.many points have Somerset earned so far in this match?

3 batting and 3 bowling, this is toughly the system. Must be within 110 overs 

(i) A maximum of four batting points to be available as under:-

First Innings Points are awarded only for performances in the first 110 overs of each first innings and retained whatever the result of the match. 

Batting Points

200 to 249 runs - 1 point

250 to 299 runs - 2 points

300 to 349 runs - 3 points

350 to 399 runs - 4 points

400 runs or over - 5 points

Bowling Points

3 to 5 wickets taken - 1 point

6 to 8 wickets taken - 2 points

9 to 10 wickets taken - 3 points

16 points for a win 8 each for a draw

Edit. Amended as posted old system by mistake 

Edited by ralphindevon
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Or 0. This is Somerset remember.

Don't say that.

I haven't looked it up but despite the pitch dying as the match goes on in most games I can't remember any big chases this season, i'm struggling to remember any last season.

If Craig can get wound up and angry like he was this morning, I dont think the Northants batters will fancy it as there's nothing to play for.

• Like 1

As @TomF says, CricInfo tables show bonus points earned, adjusted at the end of each completed innings, with an * indicating the match is still in progress - interestingly, we are the only Division One match still in progress, after only three days!

It was mentioned by @ralphindevon that bonus points are only awarded for first innings scores, within the first 110 overs, but does he or anybody else know why this system was introduced to replace the old system, whereby bonus points were awarded for a first innings lead?

4 hours ago, Super said:

In fairness they are the worst team in the league.

We’re not actually. The same bunch of players proved we’re a decent side last summer. They just haven’t performed under the new regime. Northants are the worst IMO. They’ve massively overperformed, fair play to them. 

Edited by tin
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, tin said:

We’re not actually. The same bunch of players proved we’re a decent side last summer. They just haven’t performed under the new regime. Northants are the worst IMO. They’ve massively overperformed, fair play to them. 

Northants won't finish bottom. 

59 minutes ago, tin said:

Not followed County cricket as much I once did but I always thought of Northants as a county likely to struggle greatly at this level if indeed they reached it at all.

Them being midtable is quite a surprise! I always remember they had some decent SA kolpaks and David Sales was prolific with bat but none of them around anymore?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous