IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not followed County cricket m as much I once did but I always thought of Northants as a county likely to struggle greatly at this level if indeed they reached it at all.

Them being midtable is quite a surprise! I always remember they had some decent SA kolpaks and David Sales was prolific with bat but none of them around anymore?

The key to Northants this year has been not getting beat, as seven draws testify. They’ve been more conservative; we’ve been too gung-ho. Keogh’s a decent all-rounder and both their overseas batsmen (Rickleton and Young) have delivered runs. The experienced bowler Sanderson is one who’s a handful in early/late season. 

They certainly did rely on Kolpaks and Sales is going back donkey’s years. I think his boy has played a few games for them this year. They’re definitely punching above their weight and, as I said, fair play to them. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not followed County cricket as much I once did but I always thought of Northants as a county likely to struggle greatly at this level if indeed they reached it at all.

Them being midtable is quite a surprise! I always remember they had some decent SA kolpaks and David Sales was prolific with bat but none of them around anymore?

15 minutes ago, tin said:

The key to Northants this year has been not getting beat, as seven draws testify. They’ve been more conservative; we’ve been too gung-ho. Keogh’s a decent all-rounder and both their overseas batsmen (Rickleton and Young) have delivered runs. The experienced bowler Sanderson is one who’s a handful in early/late season. 

They certainly did rely on Kolpaks and Sales is going back donkey’s years. I think his boy has played a few games for them this year. They’re definitely punching above their weight and, as I said, fair play to them. 

David Willey be coming back to them next season.

Whilst he is perhaps getting on a bit now - he will be 33 next season - he can only strengthen them in both red and white ball cricket, as long as he doesn't bugger off to The 100.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

As @TomF says, CricInfo tables show bonus points earned, adjusted at the end of each completed innings, with an * indicating the match is still in progress - interestingly, we are the only Division One match still in progress, after only three days!

It was mentioned by @ralphindevon that bonus points are only awarded for first innings scores, within the first 110 overs, but does he or anybody else know why this system was introduced to replace the old system, whereby bonus points were awarded for a first innings lead?

Not quite sure, it’s been over 50 years now that we’ve had bonus points for batting and bowling, though these have been regularly tweaked in that time.

I guess they get tweaked so often because so many things change. we’ve gone from 3 days to 4, 1 division to 2, uncovered pitches to covered. All changes we could put up with and would often improve things with more meaningful cricket and fewer manafactured results.

Todays proposed changes though…………….

1 hour ago, tin said:

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

David Willey be coming back to them next season.

Whilst he is perhaps getting on a bit now - he will be 33 next season - he can only strengthen them in both red and white ball cricket, as long as he doesn't bugger off to The 100.

Thanks both. David Willey is another I remember.

I vaguely remember seeing the scorecard anyway, we lost to them narrowly at Cheltenham in July. Possibly the final nail.wonder if we were a bit too free with our shots?

Feels intangible and impossible to prove but still think that without Covid we'd probably have of not spectacular, have been quite competitive in the top flight in 2020. We'll never know!

13 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Not quite sure, it’s been over 50 years now that we’ve had bonus points for batting and bowling, though these have been regularly tweaked in that time.

I guess they get tweaked so often because so many things change. we’ve gone from 3 days to 4, 1 division to 2, uncovered pitches to covered. All changes we could put up with and would often improve things with more meaningful cricket and fewer manafactured results.

Todays proposed changes though…………….

Ah, uncovered pitches and Derek Underwood. Those were the days.

https://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1226514/deadly-venom--the-terror-of-derek-underwood

So, Somerset have not enforced the follow on.

I am not sure whether that is simply to ensure they get at least a draw, or whether they are not convinced their injured bowlers (Gregory, COVE and, as was hinted at yesterday, Tom L) are up to bowling all day, even if Northants did require more than four an over.

Tom Abell is already out, by the way.

5 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

So, Somerset have not enforced the follow on.

I am not sure whether that is simply to ensure they get at least a draw, or whether they are not convinced their injured bowlers (Gregory, COVE and, as was hinted at yesterday, Tom L) are up to bowling all day, even if Northants did require more than four an over.

Tom Abell is already out, by the way.

Sure they would have declared by now with a lead of 420.

Before our (@TomF's) current favourite player, Simon Harmer, took over the mantle, the proud holder of that title was one Gareth Batty. 

Gareth has been in the news today, and fair play to him, and to Surrey's victorious captain, Rory Burns.

Quite a long read, but well worth it.

Gareth Batty warns against 'celebrity cricket' as county restructuring looms over Surrey's title triumph

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TomF said:

Have to say as much as I disliked him as a player he talks a lot of sense on talksport when he's on there. 

He was also well liked and respected by his cricketing peers.

I remember some years ago the promising golfer Peter Trego was interviewed after an 'incident' involving Gareth Batty and was asked what he would do next time they met.

'Probably buy him a pint' was Treg's response.

Great and very much deserved win and there ends another year of watching live cricket.

I always find this moment very sad, unlike the end of the football season where you’ve only got to wait 3 months at most and they’re summer months, in cricket you’re saying goodbye to people you get to know just through cricket and you won’t be back for 7 long winter months. Some of the elderly supporters might be walking away for the last time.

A season of highs and lows. Some poor performances first up and then against Gloucestershire. Plus not being able to watch any first class, first team cricket from the end of July to September. A lot of people this year realised just wasn’t good enough. We accepted it last year as we were still in Covid mentality.

Highlights for me was watching the world record breaking T20 1/4 final v Derbyshire, quite extraordinary and something I could never imagine as a youngster. I really enjoyed my visit to Edgbaston for finals day, despite Somerset doing their best to spoil it. And the game just finished was a superb all round performance.

On to Kent where remarkably we will be fighting for 5th place and then roll on next season when we carry on as the top divisions longest serving members.

• Like 3