IGNORED

Sod New Liverpool Assistant Manager

MC RISK77

Bit OTT dont you think?

Had SOD stayed and we got relegated - which was pretty nailed on - I had already decided I'd not renew my ST for the first time in two decades. I'm not a fair weather supporter, I'd endured relegations before, but not the mind numbing tedium of the mumbling master's "tactics".

Three old family friends who sit just in front of us, had already had enough that 13/14 season and had sold on their STs by October.

Maybe hundreds is OTT, but I firmly believe we could have seen records broken in a bad way for the paucity of crowds in the 2014/15 L2 season that thankfully never was.

Had SOD stayed and we got relegated - which was pretty nailed on - I had already decided I'd not renew my ST for the first time in two decades. I'm not a fair weather supporter, I'd endured relegations before, but not the mind numbing tedium of the mumbling master's "tactics".

Three old family friends who sit just in front of us, had already had enough that 13/14 season and had sold on their STs by October.

Maybe hundreds is OTT, but I firmly believe we could have seen records broken in a bad way for the paucity of crowds in the 2014/15 L2 season that thankfully never was.

I dont think it was nailed on, if that was the case though then even under the first 3 months of Cotterill we look doomed... until it finally clicked and there was no looking back.

But hundreds is way OTT... 5,000 possibly 6k but if that was the case then maybe, just maybe the Sags would've been right all along... that our support at home can be considered fairweather (before I get shot, thats based on this). No matter how bad it gets, other clubs fans have stuck with their team.. Pompey, Luton even Oxford.

I think you are very much in a minority in thinking we would have been relegated fella.

Pretty much everyone agrees it was the correct decision for him to leave, I don't think many dispute that.

And if the majority of your fan base aren't happy, then you eventually have to make a decision.

However....many thought that at Swansea.....and they were one defeat from going into the conference...not that long ago....now look at them.

As long as you keep learning from your mistakes and correcting them, then you can go forward stronger....instead of treading water and bobbing about in mediocrity....wouldn't you agree?

I think you are very much in a minority in thinking we would have been relegated fella.

Pretty much everyone agrees it was the correct decision for him to leave, I don't think many dispute that.

And if the majority of your fan base aren't happy, then you eventually have to make a decision.

However....many thought that at Swansea.....and they were one defeat from going into the conference...not that long ago....now look at them.

As long as you keep learning from your mistakes and correcting them, then you can go forward stronger....instead of treading water and bobbing about in mediocrity....wouldn't you agree?

We weren't treading water Spud, we were going down the sinkhole fast.

I know lots of City fans - family, friends, pub acquaintances - all were desperate for your adoptive dad ;-) to go.

And there were massive gaps appearing in the central Dolman. Eight empty seats to my left, five in a row behind that, three to the front right of us: supporters who could take SOD no more.

Anyway, despite all that, I bear the man no ill will. Hopefully, his career is now back on track, and he's learned lessons from his disaster here.

All ancient history really this thread. Better for us all to focus on the challenges this season brings.

Why do the SODites constantly say he was turning it around? His form was in general no different from the rest of the season. Was it 1 win in 7 or 2 in 20? I honestly cant remember but I do know that I wasn't ever aware that there was a corner being turned. 

I'm in Red-Robbo's minority as I too believe had he stayed on we would have been relegated. :surrender:

Snap.

We were going down faster than a fat bird on a ginsters pasty.

Also, as Robbo said,  fans were disappearing at an alarming rate. One home night match, I think it may have been the Brentford defeat, every seat to my right in the Dolman, 20 seats in all, were empty. I've been sitting there for about 18 seasons and I've never known that before, especially for a league game.

May have been my deodorant I suppose...

Turning it around with a home loss and a home draw as his last two games. Dream on...

Deaming! That explains why I missed the remarkable turn around that Sod was just going to implement, I was asleep whilst his magic was unfolding infront of my eyes. There's me for all this time thinking Sod was just a sh1t coach. I Must keep up in future.

We weren't treading water Spud, we were going down the sinkhole fast.

I know lots of City fans - family, friends, pub acquaintances - all were desperate for your adoptive dad ;-) to go.

And there were massive gaps appearing in the central Dolman. Eight empty seats to my left, five in a row behind that, three to the front right of us: supporters who could take SOD no more.

Anyway, despite all that, I bear the man no ill will. Hopefully, his career is now back on track, and he's learned lessons from his disaster here.

All ancient history really this thread. Better for us all to focus on the challenges this season brings.

Why do the SODites constantly say he was turning it around? His form was in general no different from the rest of the season. Was it 1 win in 7 or 2 in 20? I honestly cant remember but I do know that I wasn't ever aware that there was a corner being turned. 

Like I said before...many many times...he went at the right time...and pretty much every supporter of SoD agrees with that, so i'm not sure why everyone who isn't a fan SoD, won't recognise that. Yes....results on the pitch were a struggle...

His last six games in charge up until 28th November.... W 2 D 3 L 1   in total that season he W2 D8 L5

wasn't in charge of next Preston game....

Then SC took over.... Results up until March, which is when the loans and transfers took into fruition properly.... W4 D5 L5  Remember how bad it was in those months when SC brought in El Abd? And SC only got two more wins in that same period as what SoD did in his games in charge. 

It wasn't until SC loaned in Nosworthy who shored up the defence in March, and Simon Moore settled in on loan, and Wade Elliott made an impression from Feb that we started to click. Jet's goals dried up under SC....but the loans made the difference....something SoD could have done too.

Then after March.... we clicked  W7 D5 L1

People forget  how much money the budget allowed us to spend that season. And who we had on the books.

People seem to only remember that spell from March onwards....

I totally agree that SoD went at the right time...but regardless of that, it wasn't until circumstances allowed that things changed under SC...people tend to forget that.

Then as we know...with some diligent and shrewd signings over the summer...and getting rid of the rot, it enabled us to have the fantastic season we had last term.

Hopefully we can kick on under SC, and find ourselves pitting our wits against SoD in the Prem soon ;-)

Thinking back the only manager that we gave the push to that I would have kept was Benny Lennartsson.  His coaching ability and bringing through young players into the first team made him a perfect fit for the then Academy-focussed plans; that was the nearest we came to emulating Crewe under Dario Gradi although we'd have been doing it two leagues higher than them.

SO'D was correctly pushed and should have gone earlier.  And I think you'll find that the majority view.  Do a poll if you disagree.

59350313.jpg

Well there is **** all else to talk about on here...it least it gets passions going ;-) ;)

Thinking back the only manager that we gave the push to that I would have kept was Benny Lennartsson.  His coaching ability and bringing through young players into the first team made him a perfect fit for the then Academy-focussed plans; that was the nearest we came to emulating Crewe under Dario Gradi although we'd have been doing it two leagues higher than them.

SO'D was correctly pushed and should have gone earlier.  And I think you'll find that the majority view.  Do a poll if you disagree.

I liked Benny too...good coach :-)

As for your last sentence...kinnel....how many times...does no one actually read posts correctly anymore? My first sentence in my last post....and in many many other posts... just for clarity... HE WENT AT THE RIGHT TIME..... :facepalm:  ;)

Well there is **** all else to talk about on here...it least it gets passions going ;-) ;)

Apologies Spudski :)  I actually agree with some of your views (see my earlier post) but I find it amusing that you are still battling away on your own and sticking to your guns! Good old pre season eh!

Apologies Spudski :)  I actually agree with some of your views (see my earlier post) but I find it amusing that you are still battling away on your own and sticking to your guns! Good old pre season eh!

No need to apologies fella....all good banter... Just a slow day with work and a slow pre season.... ;)  :thumbsup:

I thought i'd have a sneaky peak on this thread as obviously after all this time it must have gone off at an interesting tangent ...

WRONG .

It's like " Itchy and Scratchy " in here guys .

This argument has n't only been done to death , it's reincarnated as a boar !

People could of just read my post on the first page and ignored the next 7.   :thumbsup:

I'm in neither but after 18 games?

We had 44 almost entirely dreadful games to judge him on.

A toothless capitulation one season and then massive under-performance at the start of the next.

It was clear to most that there was no plan B other than "keep doing what we're doing and eventually it'll work".

I see no sign that he'd have steered us away from the iceberg in the later part of the season. That would have meant admitting he had got things wrong. Ego blinded the man.

I'm in neither but after 18 games?

No progress to my eyes nor reason to believe it would have changed. He'd lost a significant majority of fans' support and drove a number away. I don't see that there was any coming back for him in those circumstances nor for us.

Archived